2010 Prediction Thread.. Get them in now so you can be laughed at later!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
In Aaron Rogers' first season as a starter, the Packers went 6-10. Was that season not necessarily bad?
Umm...yeah?

Green Bay answered the QB question in Aaron Rodgers (not to mention the emergence of Greg Jennings, Jermichael Finley, Ryan Grant, etc) and got those guys valuable experience. The team also established what holes they needed to fill on defense which they largely did in the the following draft by adding Clay Matthews and their NT. The following year with said defensive additions and more experience they went 11-5 and now are the among the favorites to win the Super Bowl in 2010. So 2008 wasn't a good year but hardly a lost one for GB especially after the uncertainty surrounding Favre's departure. Everyone associated with the Packers would tell you it was definitely something to build on and they did.

I'm hoping we see something similar here. Despite your denials we do have a lot of young talent both entering and in the primes of their careers. Whiz probably sees this season as a transition year to establish what he needs going forward while simultaneously trying to catch lightning in a bottle and extend our playoff run.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Umm...yeah?

Green Bay answered the QB question in Aaron Rodgers (not to mention the emergence of Greg Jennings, Jermichael Finley, Ryan Grant, etc) and got those guys valuable experience. The team also established what holes they needed to fill on defense which they largely did in the the following draft by adding Clay Matthews and their NT. The following year with said defensive additions and more experience they went 11-5 and now are the among the favorites to win the Super Bowl in 2010. So 2008 wasn't a good year but hardly a lost one for GB especially after the uncertainty surrounding Favre's departure. Everyone associated with the Packers would tell you it was definitely something to build on and they did.

I'm hoping we see something similar here. Despite your denials we do have a lot of young talent both entering and in the primes of their careers. Whiz probably sees this season as a transition year to establish what he needs going forward while simultaneously trying to catch lightning in a bottle and extend our playoff run.

You could be right. CKW was in Pittsburgh when they went from 23-8-1 the previous two seasons to 6-10 and then went 15-1 and 11-5 with a SB win the next two seasons. I'd be down with that.

Except that it would be really Cardinal for the NFL to cancel the 2011 season when we were supposed to go 15-1. :mad:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Umm...yeah?

And I think that you can have a good/bad season if you discover that you have your quarterback with that season. Also, the Packers have been the youngest team in the league for like three seasons running, despite having ancient guys like Rod Woodson and Donald Driver on their roster as well as their tackle tandem.

I guess if we go 6-10 this year, we're going to look at our roster and see 28 year old Derek Anderson with 55 starts under his belt and all we'll be able to say is that we know that he's not the answer. We'll look down the depth chart and see... Max Hall, who looked good against a Washington team who didn't dress anyone who's on the roster right now (seriously, people, that game was a joke).

We're a veteran team all over the defense. Do you think Whis needs a season to decide whether we need a pass rusher? He cut the guy that we'd planned to develop, and the other guy's on PUP for two months (at least).

If anything, we're probably going to lose players like Alan Branch, Gabe Watson, and Steve Breaston who will be getting that valuable experience. Then we'll maybe be starting over again next season with a defensive back 7 a year older or totally re-done, a revamped WR corps, and a new quarterback.

I thought that we were going to take our lumps with #7 this season and then hope to sneak out with a divisional championship but know that we had a QB to compete with in 2011 (if there's a season). That would have mirrored the Packers' 2008. I wasn't happy about that plan, because I don't expect there to be a season in 2011 and I don't want to waste a rebuilding year. But now?

I think that this is a talented team. I'm not sold on Toler until teams start testing him, but I like what I've seen from Washington, Campbell, Dockett, Williams, Wilson, Rhodes, DRC (although I wish he'd work on tackling), Fitz (obviously), Doucet (I still believe), and Lutui. I think it's too talented to lose more than 9 games.

But that's not how you win in the NFL. You win in the NFL with a great QB, great pass rusher, great LT, great S, and solid cornerback play. We already know that we don't have the first two, and probably the first three. So what are we going to learn if we have a bad season?

You could be right. CKW was in Pittsburgh when they went from 23-8-1 the previous two seasons to 6-10 and then went 15-1 and 11-5 with a SB win the next two seasons. I'd be down with that.

Except that it would be really Cardinal for the NFL to cancel the 2011 season when we were supposed to go 15-1. :mad:

Pittsburgh is great at taking a step back and then two steps forward for the next half-decade. One reason that they remain good year after year after year is that they draft one Top 10 pick every five or six years, and he becomes a cornerstone of the franchise. Everyone else get interchanged around those four or five players.

We seem to have whiffed on our last Top 10 pick in Levi Brown (really, our last three in Rolle, #7, and L. Brown). So if there's no real core in place besides Fitz, are we in a position personnel-wise to step back into prominence the next year? After Levi Brown, Alan Branch, Cody Brown, Rashad Johnson and others, do you have faith in the front office that they can invest that money the right way?

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Pittsburgh is great at taking a step back and then two steps forward for the next half-decade. One reason that they remain good year after year after year is that they draft one Top 10 pick every five or six years, and he becomes a cornerstone of the franchise. Everyone else get interchanged around those four or five players.

We seem to have whiffed on our last Top 10 pick in Levi Brown (really, our last three in Rolle, #7, and L. Brown). So if there's no real core in place besides Fitz, are we in a position personnel-wise to step back into prominence the next year? After Levi Brown, Alan Branch, Cody Brown, Rahard Johnson and others, do you have faith in the front office that they can invest that money the right way?

Hard to argue with that especially in a season where you've lost two former first round picks and 3 second round picks and the team has a habit of bringing in free agents who are touted as being better than the guy they replaced only to have them run out of town a year later.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
And I think that you can have a good/bad season if you discover that you have your quarterback with that season. Also, the Packers have been the youngest team in the league for like three seasons running, despite having ancient guys like Rod Woodson and Donald Driver on their roster as well as their tackle tandem.

I guess if we go 6-10 this year, we're going to look at our roster and see 28 year old Derek Anderson with 55 starts under his belt and all we'll be able to say is that we know that he's not the answer. We'll look down the depth chart and see... Max Hall, who looked good against a Washington team who didn't dress anyone who's on the roster right now (seriously, people, that game was a joke).

We're a veteran team all over the defense. Do you think Whis needs a season to decide whether we need a pass rusher? He cut the guy that we'd planned to develop, and the other guy's on PUP for two months (at least).

If anything, we're probably going to lose players like Alan Branch, Gabe Watson, and Steve Breaston who will be getting that valuable experience. Then we'll maybe be starting over again next season with a defensive back 7 a year older or totally re-done, a revamped WR corps, and a new quarterback.

I thought that we were going to take our lumps with #7 this season and then hope to sneak out with a divisional championship but know that we had a QB to compete with in 2011 (if there's a season). That would have mirrored the Packers' 2008. I wasn't happy about that plan, because I don't expect there to be a season in 2011 and I don't want to waste a rebuilding year. But now?

I think that this is a talented team. I'm not sold on Toler until teams start testing him, but I like what I've seen from Washington, Campbell, Dockett, Williams, Wilson, Rhodes, DRC (although I wish he'd work on tackling), Fitz (obviously), Doucet (I still believe), and Lutui. I think it's too talented to lose more than 9 games.

But that's not how you win in the NFL. You win in the NFL with a great QB, great pass rusher, great LT, great S, and solid cornerback play. We already know that we don't have the first two, and probably the first three. So what are we going to learn if we have a bad season?

We seem to have whiffed on our last Top 10 pick in Levi Brown (really, our last three in Rolle, #7, and L. Brown). So if there's no real core in place besides Fitz, are we in a position personnel-wise to step back into prominence the next year? After Levi Brown, Alan Branch, Cody Brown, Rashad Johnson and others, do you have faith in the front office that they can invest that money the right way?

Great, great points K9. While the Cards have some great talent at key places, we really have no idea how good/bad this team will be in just a few years to come with uncertainty at the most critical position on an NFL team...QB. Throw in the question marks at OT & OLB & depth in the secondary & this team could win 6 games or a max of 10 this year & who knows how many next year (if there is football) with the many FA's we have.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Steven Williams OROY 10+ Td's.

Fitz 10 Td's 1300 yds, 90+ rec

Breaston 900+ yds

Dockett Raises his game, unquantifiable

Darryl Washington DROY 100+ tackles

CC: 10 sacks, 3 blocked kicks

Porter: 10+ sacks

DA: 3750 yds 28 td's, 17 int's and receives Comeback Player of Year (chance for 30+ td's)

Hall 5 td's in limited time.

Cardinals Top five in sacks.

Cardinals avg yielding 100 or less yards per game on ground.

Cardinals have most rushing yards in the NFL for a given week for 3 games. (love those pulling guards)

DRC, 8 ints

Beanie goes for over 1000 yards, and Timmy catches 60 passes.

Without quantifying, Dan Williams has a stellar rookie campaign.

Our defense makes three qb's miss at least one game.

Ben Graham sets record for punts inside 20 by +10 punts, through ungodly percentage of his kicks. Also gets at least one good lick on a returner.

LSH returns one all the way.

We shutout 1 opponent

We blow somebody out by 25 points.

11-5

That should be plenty to laugh at, or not, come end of season :)

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
I am a pessimist of the highest order so i had better not even get started on this one.

All i will predict is that in some drunken state at 4am one morning I will declare my undying love to all ASFN members :lol:

Buckybird

Reaction score

Breaston 900+ yds

DA: 3750 yds 28 td's, 17 int's and receives Comeback Player of Year (chance for 30+ td's)

Cardinals have most rushing yards in the NFL for a given week for 3 games. (love those pulling guards)

DRC, 8 ints

Ben Graham sets record for punts inside 20 by +10 punts, through ungodly percentage of his kicks. Also gets at least one good lick on a returner.

We shutout 1 opponent

11-5

If 3/4 of that happens, we hoist the Lombardi. :D

seesred

Reaction score
This is the year of the Anderson. After 6 years he finds a home and has a great year, with the help of Fitz, breaston, Williams , Doucet, Hightower and the hyphen.

Our defense improves dispite losing Rolle and Dansby. CB play is much better, the addition of Washington and Rhodes shores up the backers. Wilson is pro bowl bound. Docket, Campbell, are hell up front on opposing QB's.

Special teams remain solid with some nice addittions.

Cardinals reach second round of the playoffs again. Lose in NFC championship.
The season 10-6 or 11-5.

Writers of all kind jump off buildings around the country and the Niners go back to the drawing board.

GBR

cardsfan93

Registered
Reaction score
DA - More than 30 TDs, less than 20 picks

Beanie - Starting by Week 7

CC - 12+ sacks, Pro Bowler

Fitz - Reclaims the undisputed mantle of best receiver in the game

Washington - Defensive ROY

12-4 Record

Super Bowl Champs!

Nash2Amare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Breaston 900+ yds

DRC, 8 ints

We shutout 1 opponent

11-5

Lol, wow. We'll win it all with those numbers.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
I gotta ask, K9, why are you so sure and continue to insist that we are going to lose Breaston? Have you seen something that makes you think he's going to demand more money than the Card's are willing to pay?

Buckybird

Reaction score
I gotta ask, K9, why are you so sure and continue to insist that we are going to lose Breaston? Have you seen something that makes you think he's going to demand more money than the Card's are willing to pay?

Thats the way the Cards operate. Doucet, Williams & the drafting of Roberts will likely end Stevie's career in Az unless he takes less than top dollar. Someone will want to pay this guy pretty damn good money unless he is hurt or just blows.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I think that he'll rate a deal similar to what Nate Burleson got last season. That's 5 years, $25 million, $11 million guaranteed. Bernard Berrian got six years, $42 million, $16 million guaranteed two years ago. Breaston is probably better than those guys, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go to a team like the Browns or Broncos next season on a nice little deal.

If Breaston were going to stay here, we'd have to pay that kind of money. We're going to be paying Larry Fitzgerald a $50+ million contract in the next 18 month. You can't compete and spend that much at the WR position and be competitive. If we wanted to do that, we would have kept Q.

The lesson of the decline of the Seattle Seahawks is you don't overinvest in linebackers or wideouts.

Think of it another way, Longcolts: If you read Word From the Birds, you'll see Urban say multiple times that Lutui figures in the Cards' long-term plans. Have you heard that once about Breaston?

Last edited:

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
Fair enough, but for the record I do hope you're wrong about this.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Fair enough, but for the record I do hope you're wrong about this.

Can I ask why? Breaston's a familiar player, but he's not a great one. I don't think many would be surprised if Stephen Williams took his job before the season was over.

You can't keep everyone, and I'd rather keep Calais Campbell and/or Gabe Watson and/or Deuce Lutui than Steve Breaston. There are a lot of guys that are coming up for new deals.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
Can I ask why? Breaston's a familiar player, but he's not a great one. I don't think many would be surprised if Stephen Williams took his job before the season was over.

You can't keep everyone, and I'd rather keep Calais Campbell and/or Gabe Watson and/or Deuce Lutui than Steve Breaston. There are a lot of guys that are coming up for new deals.

Because I do think that Breaston is going to be a good #2 receiver. He's good in the slot, he can run outside and stretch the field and from what I've seen he has good hands and good body control. Not to mention I think he's developed a drive to succeed as evidenced by the advancement he has made in his game over the last couple of years.

Second Deck

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think Cleveland was a good test of Anderson's skill and will be much better in AZ.

Hoping the preseason was not a good indication of how the running game will work. Expect the Cards to be more balanced this year.

Worst case: 10-6 Best case 13-3
Wins: Loss:

St L SD
Atl NO
Oak SF
Sea
TB
Sea
KC
SF
St L
Den
Carolina
Dallas

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I don't think Cleveland was a good test of Anderson's skill and will be much better in AZ.

Hoping the preseason was not a good indication of how the running game will work. Expect the Cards to be more balanced this year.

Worst case: 10-6 Best case 13-3
Wins: Loss:

St L SD
Atl NO
Oak SF
Sea
TB
Sea
KC
SF
St L
Den
Carolina
Dallas

:koolaid:

NoelPHX

Space for Sale
Reaction score
Ok I guess I will get this in. Cards 8-8. No playoffs. A year we would rather not have but still better than most we have had as cards fans.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I guess the prediction of mine can already be laughed at. Oh well, there is always next year

OK since its slow now that the Cards are 3-8 we can laugh at everybody's predictions.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn