My Biggest Draft Worry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
At the moment. The most probable scenario has Cards trading with Minnesota and taking WR Thomas. I know he’s a popular choice. I have several concerns with this strategy. First the drop off from the top 3 WRs is dramatic. The top 3 are no risk choices, especially Harrison and Ordunze. Even Nabers has a big upside and might eventually have the most impact. Thomas is very raw. He’s an overachiever in testing, like the Combine. He had a good season last year, still he’s exceptionally raw technique-wise compared to the top 3. He will take development to become a game changer if everything goes perfectly. He runs careless routes, lacks focus causing drops and does not have impressive YAC. His ceiling may well be a number 2 or weaker receiver. Second, if the Cards get a 2025 pick, I don’t like that draft at this point compared to 2023-24. The Cards should have learned future picks can be a major gamble. Finally, pick 23 has the potential of a stable starter, but not likely a future Pro Bowl player. The Cards would be giving up a player capable of changing games for some need fillers. That’s a bad decision.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
If Monti trades with Minnesota he must have a pre-draft agreement in place with TN, ATL, or Chicago to trade up for one of the top 3, probably Odunze. Hopefully a swap of 2s and a 3 moves the Cardinals back up to 7 or 8.

Thomas at #11 is horrible. Take one of the edges.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
At the moment. The most probable scenario has Cards trading with Minnesota and taking WR Thomas. I know he’s a popular choice. I have several concerns with this strategy. First the drop off from the top 3 WRs is dramatic. The top 3 are no risk choices, especially Harrison and Ordunze. Even Nabers has a big upside and might eventually have the most impact. Thomas is very raw. He’s an overachiever in testing, like the Combine. He had a good season last year, still he’s exceptionally raw technique-wise compared to the top 3. He will take development to become a game changer if everything goes perfectly. He runs careless routes, lacks focus causing drops and does not have impressive YAC. His ceiling may well be a number 2 or weaker receiver. Second, if the Cards get a 2025 pick, I don’t like that draft at this point compared to 2023-24. The Cards should have learned future picks can be a major gamble. Finally, pick 23 has the potential of a stable starter, but not likely a future Pro Bowl player. The Cards would be giving up a player capable of changing games for some need fillers. That’s a bad decision.
Says who, you or trusted sources?

I will be shocked to see Thomas top 15.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Monti trades with Minnesota he must have a pre-draft agreement in place with TN, ATL, or Chicago to trade up for one of the top 3, probably Odunze. Hopefully a swap of 2s and a 3 moves the Cardinals back up to 7 or 8.

Agree, they need to trade back up if they do the Vikings deal.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This reeks of smartest guy in the room syndrome. If we don't get either Harrison or Odzune, I'm going to be pissed.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
OSU’s WR coach was asked last year about his best players at the position. He mentioned MHJ first as above everyone else and then started going through everyone else. Wild.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

sticking at #4 and selecting MHJ.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, seeing as Hollywood isn't with the team anymore, Rondale was jettisoned off, Wilson can't stay healthy, if we trade away the opportunity to get MHJ, I'd be pissed if I was Kyler. We have no one, absolutely no one who is a game changer. McBride is nice, but he isn't a take over the game type of player.

If we didn't draft MHJ, Kyler isn't in our future plans.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, seeing as Hollywood isn't with the team anymore, Rondale was jettisoned off, Wilson can't stay healthy, if we trade away the opportunity to get MHJ, I'd be pissed if I was Kyler. We have no one, absolutely no one who is a game changer. McBride is nice, but he isn't a take over the game type of player.

Drama queens ;)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I disagree with this. I think Kyler trusts this staff and is in communication with them. I wouldn’t be surprised if he were at the facility when Nabors, Odunze, and MHJ were around.

Kyler isn’t a fool; he loves ball and knows these guys’ college careers.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree with this. I think Kyler trusts this staff and is in communication with them. I wouldn’t be surprised if he were at the facility when Nabors, Odunze, and MHJ were around.

Kyler isn’t a fool; he loves ball and knows these guys’ college careers.
Yes, I should have quantified one of the three WRs. I think MHJ is ahead of the other two, but yes, any of the three are fine, especially if we extra capital with Rome or Nabors.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is silly. Just because your opinion is MHJ is can’t miss doesn’t mean others agree, or that they can’t believe there are other can’t miss relievers in this draft.

Personally I am a believer the top3 wr are very similar and are all likely to succeed. I will be happy with any of them. History suggests at least 1 other receiver in this draft is likely to be a star that is drafted after the first round.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is silly. Just because your opinion is MHJ is can’t miss doesn’t mean others agree, or that they can’t believe there are other can’t miss relievers in this draft.

Personally I am a believer the top3 wr are very similar and are all likely to succeed. I will be happy with any of them. History suggests at least 1 other receiver in this draft is likely to be a star that is drafted after the first round.
See my response a couple posts later

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Even that would be a risk not worth taking.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I fully agree. I’m Very much for Taking down IF AND ONLY IF there is a deal to Trade back up in order to Secure a bluechip player. I’m not that focused on Harrison, I would be okay with Either of the 3 Or even Alt. PFF’s prospect rating of WR over the last 10 years: 1. MHJ, 2. Nabers, 3. Chase, 4. Odunze. I Think the tiny drop-off from MHJ to Odunze is a fair Price to pay for 1-2 extra 1st rounders (after trading back up)

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

And his name is Adonai Mitchell

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My impression of the edge class is they’re all complementary rushers in the BJ Ojulari/Markus Golden mode
Agree with this statement, just like last year, no physically dominant edge guy. Even Turner is pretty much a high end #2 rusher. Verse doesn't look like an elite edge either, and Latu isn't good enough against the run to be a top edge guy either.