Jazz @ Suns Thursday game thread 2-8-2024

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The Eubanks hate is ridiculous. He's a backup center. Most of them in the league are Drew Eubanks.
Ideally, your backup center is at least someone who can be fairly effective if pressed into a starting role if your starter gets injured. I have a hard time seeing Eubanks as that. A lot of times he plays like a spider monkey on speed.

But I'm more dismayed about him because he was one of their "priority" signings in the off-season, not one of the minimum guys they grabbed later to fill out the roster. And they even lost a second round pick for tampering to sign him early. Not at all sure I've seen that much value in him for all that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ideally, your backup center is at least someone who can be fairly effective if pressed into a starting role if your starter gets injured. I have a hard time seeing Eubanks as that. A lot of times he plays like a spider monkey on speed.

But I'm more dismayed about him because he was one of their "priority" signings in the off-season, not one of the minimum guys they grabbed later to fill out the roster. And they even lost a second round pick for tampering to sign him early. Not at all sure I've seen that much value in him for all that.
He's still a minimum guy. I mean, this seems to be complaining just to do it.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
The thing about mediocre guys is they're mediocre but they can become super valuable to stars if they listen and pay attention - keep it simple and be where they're supposed to be - some would say Nurk is mediocre - Eubanks is definitely mediocre - and let's be honest all we can afford is mediocre guys and any addition will have to learn just like the others - Jordan was a master at turning mediocre into serviceable - I see KD doing that with our bigs

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
He's still a minimum guy. I mean, this seems to be complaining just to do it.
Well, I hope they can pick up another center, because if Nurkic gets hurt or (less critically but more likely) has foul trouble in certain playoff series, the Suns are going to be screwed having to rely on Eubanks and Bol for extended periods, mostly due to being undersized in general.

It might not seem such a big deal now, but it could haunt them against the likes of... well, just about everyone we are likely to face in the playoffs. Even Dallas has upgraded their size, and they are/were probably our most favorable match-up.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ha!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing about mediocre guys is they're mediocre but they can become super valuable to stars if they listen and pay attention - keep it simple and be where they're supposed to be - some would say Nurk is mediocre - Eubanks is definitely mediocre - and let's be honest all we can afford is mediocre guys and any addition will have to learn just like the others - Jordan was a master at turning mediocre into serviceable - I see KD doing that with our bigs

Exactly. Kevin Durant was looking to pass to Eubanks. If he is good enough for Durant, he is good enough for me.

1982baskets

Veteran
Reaction score
Perhaps we're trying to develop this rotation?

Nurk/Roddy
KD/Bol Bol
Allen/O'Neale
Beal/Okogie
Book/Gordon

Roddy is a bit more physically strong than Eubanks. Also would give you some 3 pointers hoisted. If his minutes are with Bol Bol or KD at the 4 next to him, then you have your defensive anchor/rim protection in case you need that. Roddy would take the physical tougher match ups as Bol Bol can't.

Wonder if Bol Bol can actually give us 10 minutes in a playoff setting. Same with Okogie - can he give us some minutes? Gordon, O'Neale, Nurk and Allen all can be played in the playoff match ups. But we probably need at least one more playable big (one of Bol Bol/Roddy/Eubanks need to be able to give us minutes) and one more playable perimeter defender (Can Okogie step up?).

I actually think with the way Beal/Book/KD have shown they can play together, the need for a PG has waned. We're much more in need of depth than we need a PG. And by depth, I mean players like O'Neale. Players that will shoot, defend, pass, play a role. The only problem is O'Neale is 6'4 and we need some players who can do that who are 6'8-6'10.

Suns offense is top 5 in the league with Beal. The issue of a PG has waned for me. I have been shocked at how well we've adjusted to not having a PG. Much like some of the great championship teams that didn't have a starting PG, we're showing elite offense without one. The real problem is championship teams tend to play elite defense as well. We are not there, yet.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Nurk/Roddy
KD/Bol Bol
Allen/O'Neale
Beal/Okogie
Book/Gordon

Roddy is a bit more physically strong than Eubanks. Also would give you some 3 pointers hoisted. If his minutes are with Bol Bol or KD at the 4 next to him, then you have your defensive anchor/rim protection in case you need that. Roddy would take the physical tougher match ups as Bol Bol can't.

Wonder if Bol Bol can actually give us 10 minutes in a playoff setting. Same with Okogie - can he give us some minutes? Gordon, O'Neale, Nurk and Allen all can be played in the playoff match ups. But we probably need at least one more playable big (one of Bol Bol/Roddy/Eubanks need to be able to give us minutes) and one more playable perimeter defender (Can Okogie step up?).

I actually think with the way Beal/Book/KD have shown they can play together, the need for a PG has waned. We're much more in need of depth than we need a PG. And by depth, I mean players like O'Neale. Players that will shoot, defend, pass, play a role. The only problem is O'Neale is 6'4 and we need some players who can do that who are 6'8-6'10.

Suns offense is top 5 in the league with Beal. The issue of a PG has waned for me. I have been shocked at how well we've adjusted to not having a PG. Much like some of the great championship teams that didn't have a starting PG, we're showing elite offense without one. The real problem is championship teams tend to play elite defense as well. We are not there, yet.
Roddy is not a center.

He will be lucky to get playing time at all.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am absolutely hyped about Bol Bol and that was not on my bingo card
Well he is very gifted offensively. But I am not sure he will be playable in the playoffs because of his terrible on ball defense. Makes a great player to target over and over again.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

Nurk/Roddy
KD/Bol Bol
Allen/O'Neale
Beal/Okogie
Book/Gordon

Roddy isn't a Center - he can cover them from time to time but he'd get killed on rebounds - straight murdered

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
Well he is very gifted offensively. But I am not sure he will be playable in the playoffs because of his terrible on ball defense. Makes a great player to target over and over again.
I see your point. But Bol Bol can get beat a bit by a player and still recover and get a block, which is unheard of from Nurk/Eubanks. They get beat to the hoop and it's a layup all day long. This is what drives me crazy about Eubanks. It's like a damn turnstyle on defense against quick tall players. Having Bol Bol in there with a big changes what the other team does. They have to take more outside shots. He just has to watch his dumb fouls.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns did play relaxed last night. Whether that had to do with the trade deadline passing, who knows, but I thought it might.

Another thing, the Suns seemed comfortable playing at a higher tempo against the Jazz.

Obviously, the Suns are a better team with Devin Booker, but the faster pace suited the team.

Usually when the Suns run with another team, I feel like the wheels are going to come off in the 4th quarter. I'd like to lighten the load for Devin Booker at point guard so he can devote more time to offense. Bradley Beal and Grayson Allen greatly helped in this area. A backup point guard might help when Vogel rests Booker.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
The Suns did play relaxed last night. Whether that had to do with the trade deadline passing, who knows, but I thought it might.

Another thing, the Suns seemed comfortable playing at a higher tempo against the Jazz.

Obviously, the Suns are a better team with Devin Booker, but the faster pace suited the team.

Usually when the Suns run with another team, I feel like the wheels are going to come off in the 4th quarter. I'd like to lighten the load for Devin Booker at point guard so he can devote more time to offense. Bradley Beal and Grayson Allen greatly helped in this area. A backup point guard might help when Vogel rests Booker.
Yes, I noticed this also. Suns played relaxed. With excellent tempo. Even when Jazz made runs. First few minutes of 4th qtr were a little scary, but Suns seemed way more able to respond to it than before. I really like the GA passing like are seeing. 14 assists without a TO. damn. Would like to see him with more point guard duty. Problem is, I also want him camped out at the 3 point line since he's the best damn 3 point shooter in the league! It's a good dilemma to have! He has been a huge surprise this season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson