Kyler, allegedly, Almost Traded to Atlanta on Draft Night

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not buying it, but it was reported. Hard to see this happening with a week earlier Monti and most of the coaching staff showing up in Oklahoma to support him.

"Action Network's Simon Hunter reported that the Cardinals had a deal in place to send Murray to the Atlanta Falcons, who tried and failed to acquire Tennessee Titans QB Ryan Tannehill.

"Same thing happened with Kyler Murray in Atlanta. Apparently there was a deal in place - for the Cardinals and Atlanta - they were gonna send Kyler Murray to Atlanta for draft picks, and they were gonna take some money on."

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm not buying it, but it's was reported. Hard to see this happening with a week earlier Monti and most of the coaching staff showing up in Oklahoma to support him.

"Action Network's Simon Hunter reported that the Cardinals had a deal in place to send Murray to the Atlanta Falcons, who tried and failed to acquire Tennessee Titans QB Ryan Tannehill.

"Same thing happened with Kyler Murray in Atlanta. Apparently there was a deal in place - for the Cardinals and Atlanta - they were gonna send Kyler Murray to Atlanta for draft picks, and they were gonna take some money on."

Completely made up BS. Cap nerds have made it clear this would be basically impossible.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I'm not buying it, but it's was reported. Hard to see this happening with a week earlier Monti and most of the coaching staff showing up in Oklahoma to support him.

You must be registered for see images attach

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
The last lines of this article:
I’m not going to pretend to understand the nuances of the salary cap, but spotrac says his dead cap number in 2023 is $97M. That probably includes guaranteed money not paid to him yet that ATL would become responsible for though.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Now that this is posted, I have something to add. When I post a rumor it either comes from a trusted source (the late Dave Te) or I need 2 dependable people to assert it. Before the draft I heard the Cards had reached out to a capologist who was not employed by the team. They wanted to know ways to handle the cap if they traded Murray. I couldn’t get a second confirmation. Apparently they were concerned about a tanking penalty if they made the cuts to make this work. Supposedly Bidwill had agreed in principle to pick up some of Murray’s salary. The deal theoretically hung up on that dollar figure and obviously never was made. I believe this was discussed.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm pretty out on this guy too but we all need to take a step back, breathe, and remember that he was a top MVP candidate for a 7-0 team heading into a national football game where he gutted it out on a high ankle sprain and almost won if it weren't for AJ Green being a complete dunderhead.

I'm willing to remain curious for THIS SEASON ONLY to see if he can rebound in a new system with new and hopefully more intense coaching. If not, anything is on the table IMO.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'm pretty out on this guy too but we all need to take a step back, breathe, and remember that he was a top MVP candidate for a 7-0 team heading into a national football game where he gutted it out on a high ankle sprain and almost won if it weren't for AJ Green being a complete dunderhead.

I'm willing to remain curious for THIS SEASON ONLY to see if he can rebound in a new system with new and hopefully more intense coaching. If not, anything is on the table IMO.
That's why, for now, I have more faith in the Suns finally making this franchise into a champion, ownership. Ishbia seems willing to do what it takes to get this done. We shall see.

In that same vein, Bidwill has eaten a LOT of money so far in trying to change this franchise. He ate coaches salaries and jettisoned a starting QB in the recent Steve Wilkes era. Bidwill has done it again with the Kliff Kingsbury era coaches, and the GM, too. I see the guy trying. Who wants to make expensive mistakes like that? I think you need to give not only Murray, but the new GM, and new coach all a shot this season. This season, there is a LOT to watch. I have no doubt they will move on from Murray if he doesn't perform on the field. Their problem is not making changes, it's making the right choices to start with.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
That's why, for now, I have more faith in the Suns finally making this franchise into a champion, ownership. Ishbia seems willing to do what it takes to get this done. We shall see.

In that same vein, Bidwill has eaten a LOT of money so far in trying to change this franchise. He ate coaches salaries and jettisoned a starting QB in the recent Steve Wilkes era. Bidwill has done it again with the Kliff Kingsbury era coaches, and the GM, too. I see the guy trying. Who wants to make expensive mistakes like that? I think you need to give not only Murray, but the new GM, and new coach all a shot this season. This season, there is a LOT to watch. I have no doubt they will move on from Murray if he doesn't perform on the field. Their problem is not making changes, it's making the right choices to start with.
The Suns aren't winning anything this year, and the Kevin Durant trade has ruined them for the future. Devin Booker will be traded by 2025 as he is the only tradable asset, to start their rebuild.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
The Suns aren't winning anything this year, and the Kevin Durant trade has ruined them for the future. Devin Booker will be traded by 2025 as he is the only tradable asset, to start their rebuild.
lol now I see why cheese got banned - if there wasn't a game today I'd probably be getting banned with him - but instead I think I'll just block you and your basketball expertise - toodles

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
lol now I see why cheese got banned - if there wasn't a game today I'd probably be getting banned with him - but instead I think I'll just block you and your basketball expertise - toodles
Sorry I hurt your feelings. I've been consistent with this take since the trade.

You must be registered for see images attach

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
So we agree, Matt Ishbia is willing to make changes? :shrug:
I'm sure he will. It's just going to be a painful rebuild. At least the Cards have draft capital to work with...The Suns will need to re-create that. With Budenholzer let go, after winning a ring just 2 years ago, there's little reason for Ishbia to wait around...he can start cleaning house this off-season.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am very curious to see how Murray looks under different coaching. If it is more of the same I think the odds he is traded this offseason is quite high especially if we have a top pick.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sure he will. It's just going to be a painful rebuild. At least the Cards have draft capital to work with...The Suns will need to re-create that. With Budenholzer let go, after winning a ring just 2 years ago, there's little reason for Ishbia to wait around...he can start cleaning house this off-season.
Are you suggesting the Suns will rebuild? Yeah that is 100% not happening. Ishibia made it clear just 2 days ago he intends to have Booker and KD as the center of the team for at least the next 3 years.

If you mean Monty might get fired, yeah I suppose that is possible.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Are you suggesting the Suns will rebuild? Yeah that is 100% not happening. Ishibia made it clear just 2 days ago he intends to have Booker and KD as the center of the team for at least the next 3 years.

If you mean Monty might get fired, yeah I suppose that is possible.
How do you fix a team when you have zero assets? or at least zero assets you're willing to part with (KD and Booker)?

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess SI is just throwing crap at the wall.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson