Cards Hire Jonathan Gannon as New HC

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kliff‘s problem wasn’t just that Kyler failed it’s that the entire team and organization was a shitshow.

If the culture is good and other parts of the ball are playing well then he’ll keep his job. Whisenhunt got a full 3 years after Warmwe and only got fired when the non-QB stuff started falling apart.
Gannon has to make Kyler work if he is going to be successful.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I still wanted Lou based on how well his defenses played against the better offenses & QBs it played the last 2 seasons.

He still might not be the best HC of the 2, but only time will tell who will.
I felt like that also, his adjustments on defense & the way it slowed the Bills & Chiefs. However, some coordinators are better at that than being HC's. No way of knowing who's better right now. Hopefully we have a gem in Gannon?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I felt like that also, his adjustments on defense & the way it slowed the Bills & Chiefs. However, some coordinators are better at that than being HC's. No way of knowing who's better right now. Hopefully we have a gem in Gannon?
right. coordinator and Head coach are different skillsets. some shared skills, but HC has a much broader scope while the coordinator looks more at the minutia with the aid of the position coaches

Reaction score
Now that I’ve slept on it, my thoughts – as just some random guy on the internet:

1. Generally, I’m pleased. I’d describe myself as cautiously optimistic. A lot of unknowns, but I think he represents a ‘boom or bust’ option – I feel he has a higher ceiling than the other named front runners, but accept there are a lot of unknowns and potentially a higher risk factor that he’ll be a bust. I think Lou Anarumo was a safer bet in terms of being a ‘good’ HC, but Gannon could be more than that.
  2. There is no arguing the organisation had grown stale – the Monti/Gannon combo will hopefully breath new life into it;
  3. From what I’ve read, he seems like he’s been tipped as a rising star for a while and very much a motivator and leader of men – something I would say KK was not;
  4. A LOT rides on who he brings in as OC and DC;
  5. I expect training camp to be very different…. If we fail next year it won’t be because training camp was “too relaxed”
  6. I love that for once we seem to have followed a process – sure it was a little longer than normal but that makes sense. Ultimately it’s the Who not the When that matters – as long as we are able to get good appointments for the staff;
  7. I like that he used to be a scout – particularly with a shorter turnaround to his first draft;
  8. Given, as it stands we’re scheduled to start the season with a 37 year old Colt McCoy under centre . what I am looking for next year is effort and performance levels rather than wins and losses. If there are improvements in these areas, another Top Five draft pick next season, to me, is acceptable. If we bring someone else in (which I think is likely), or KM starts games earlier than expected, I’ll reconsider.

For context, I was never on the Payton train – my first choice once KK was fired was Steichen.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This tweet is such BS.

The news broke about them going with Gannon before the deal was done. When are they supposed to notify the others? Who notifies other candidates for any job in any industry before the deal is done with the guy you want?

Mike: "Hi Lou. You were great but were going in another direction. Thanks for all your time".

Monti: "Mike it's not happening. We can't agree on terms"

Mike "Yeah Hi Lou it's Mike again, about what I said before..."

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched it again. I LOVE that he didn’t just walk back there. He jogged. He wanted to back there faster. And the handshake and embrace seemed GE home both directions. Screw it, LFG!
What does this mean?

I'm not a fan of the hug and bro handshake

I thought it was too much like like KK

He's the new coach, not a friend

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What does this mean?

Do you think doing a handshake with a player means you’re too cool with someone? Did you think he was going to turn into First Sergeant Gannon & tell Kyler to do 50 push-ups?

This isn’t Marine Boot Camp or Army Basic Training.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What does this mean?

Lol. Autocorrect. I meant to say “genuine.” Like it wasn’t forced. I chalk it up to two competitors who are excited to get started. I kinda doubt Gannon is a bro like kk. He’s the coach that yelled to fans they were going to “f****** gut” the niners, and it didn’t seem outta character like when Kliff cussed.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Honestly there’s a pretty good amount of value at 80/1. Likely a weak division and conference and if Kyler comes back near 100% and coaching is good we have a decent shot at making the playoffs.
Look at the QB's in our conference, not a lot of star power there

South:
NO: ???
TB: ???
Car: Darnold?
ATL: ???

West:
SF: Lance
LA: washed Stafford
SEA: Geno

North:
CHI - Fields