Jonathan Gannon will be the only coach in his division not calling plays.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

John Harbaugh and Dan Campell made the conference championship games so its not like its a deal breaker. However, I've been listening to Cowherd/Middlekauff lately and they've noted that its best for long term success if your young HC is actually calling plays on one side of the ball. Citing Demeco Ryans as an example. Also noted that Nick Sirianni wasnt great when calling plays in 2021, then Shane Steichen took over and the offense had life. We all know what happened once he left.

49ers can lose a Mike McDaniel and Rams can lose Kevin O'Connell there is no fear cause they have Shanahan and McVay.

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

John Harbaugh and Dan Campell made the conference championship games so its not like its a deal breaker. However, I've been listening to Cowherd/Middlekauff lately and they've noted that its best for long term success if your young HC is actually calling plays on one side of the ball. Citing Demeco Ryans as an example. Also noted that Nick Sirianni wasnt great when calling plays in 2021, then Shane Steichen took over and the offense had life. We all know what happened once he left.

49ers can lose a Mike McDaniel and Rams can lose Kevin O'Connell there is no fear cause they have Shanahan and McVay.
Honestly, I'm not with Cowherd on this one. We just went through 4 years of Kliff calling plays and it handicapped his ability to run the entire game day.

At the end of the day, if you have coordinators you trust, then trust them. Even BA eventually gave up play calling, because he had groomed the OC...same with Reid.

I wonder though, does John Harbaugh call the Ravens defense? lol

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The main thing I like about Shanahan is he is knowledgeable enough on the defensive side of the ball to make sure that they run the same system regardless of who his defensive coordinator is. He forced Wilks to adopt the scheme Saleh and Ryans used. Gannon has talked enough about having specific wants for the offensive scheme that I think we won't just be praying for a good hire if Petzig ever leaves.