"THE 2020 CARDINALS HAVE A 2019 BROWNS VIBE"

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
THE 2020 CARDINALS HAVE A 2019 BROWNS VIBE

Now the offense might actually have enough good receivers to warrant coach Kliff Kingsbury leaning on his four-WR base offense more than ever before.

It's an exciting time to be a Cardinals fan.

There's just one problem.

I can't stop thinking about the parallels between the 2020 Cardinals and the 2019 Browns. There are more than a few similarities between the two teams:

• Heisman-winning QB that was the No. 1 overall draft pick the previous season.
  • Young, first-time NFL head coach that demonstrated some play-calling goodness for portions of their debut season.
  • Stellar rushing attack led by one of the league's more-efficient RBs.
  • Bonafide-unstoppable No. 1 WR that was acquired in a Twitter-breaking trade during the offseason.
  • Multiple other weapons at receiver that are capable of making plays.
  • Unproven defense held up by elite talents at defensive end and cornerback.
  • Offensive line that was largely a below-average unit the previous season.
I want to focus on the latter point, as it was probably the single-biggest factor in the Browns' 2019 collapse.

The Cardinals currently have the league's 12th-fewest 2020 dollars devoted to the offensive line. They have some work to do if they want to bring back last season's group:

• LT D.J. Humphries signed a three-year contract this offseason that will keep him in Arizona through 2022.
  • LG Justin Pugh is in the middle of a five-year contract signed through 2022.
  • C A.Q. Shipley is an unrestricted free agent.
  • RG J.R. Sweezy is a potential cut candidate considering the Cardinals would save $5 million against the cap by releasing him before June 1.
  • RT Justin Murray is an exclusive rights free agent.
Of course, this group wasn't exactly a sight for sore eyes in 2019 anyway. Murray took a league-high 48 sacks even though he had PFF's longest average time between receiving the snap and getting taken to the ground. Overall, the 2019 Cardinals ranked 21st in adjusted line yards per rush and 26th in adjusted sack rate (Football Outsiders). The 2018 Browns finished at 18th and 16th, respectively. The 2019 Browns released journeyman/starting LT Greg Robinson after the preseason before quickly re-signing him prior to Week 1 in a cost-saving move. This was a major red flag that should've brought our attention to the main way that Cleveland's loaded offense could potentially fail.

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/numbers/2020-cardinals-have-2019-browns-vibe

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm not exactly the champion of positivity on this board, but even I like us to be better than the mess that was the 2019 Browns. Kingsbury was at least the coach last year, so we have some idea of what we have, whereas Freddie Kitchens was just an interim OC and had no business winning the job.

Yes, our OL still sucks, but we're in a prime position to draft a top rookie to fix RT.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm not exactly the champion of positivity on this board, but even I like us to be better than the mess that was the 2019 Browns. Kingsbury was at least the coach last year, so we have some idea of what we have, whereas Freddie Kitchens was just an interim OC and had no business winning the job.

Yes, our OL still sucks, but we're in a prime position to draft a top rookie to fix RT.

I cant remember which Browns assistant who reportedly was telling other visiting teams how much of a train wreck Freddie Kitchens was at game planning and managing the team.

Freddie was in WAY over his head.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, Freddie I think was the main problem.

If their new coach is good, they still have the talent to be good - assuming Baker gets back to his old self.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
THE 2020 CARDINALS HAVE A 2019 BROWNS VIBE

Now the offense might actually have enough good receivers to warrant coach Kliff Kingsbury leaning on his four-WR base offense more than ever before.

It's an exciting time to be a Cardinals fan.

There's just one problem.

I can't stop thinking about the parallels between the 2020 Cardinals and the 2019 Browns. There are more than a few similarities between the two teams:

• Heisman-winning QB that was the No. 1 overall draft pick the previous season.
    • Young, first-time NFL head coach that demonstrated some play-calling goodness for portions of their debut season.
    • Stellar rushing attack led by one of the league's more-efficient RBs.
    • Bonafide-unstoppable No. 1 WR that was acquired in a Twitter-breaking trade during the offseason.
    • Multiple other weapons at receiver that are capable of making plays.
    • Unproven defense held up by elite talents at defensive end and cornerback.
    • Offensive line that was largely a below-average unit the previous season.
I want to focus on the latter point, as it was probably the single-biggest factor in the Browns' 2019 collapse.

The Cardinals currently have the league's 12th-fewest 2020 dollars devoted to the offensive line. They have some work to do if they want to bring back last season's group:

• LT D.J. Humphries signed a three-year contract this offseason that will keep him in Arizona through 2022.
    • LG Justin Pugh is in the middle of a five-year contract signed through 2022.
    • RG J.R. Sweezy is a potential cut candidate considering the Cardinals would save $5 million against the cap by releasing him before June 1.
Of course, this group wasn't exactly a sight for sore eyes in 2019 anyway. Murray took a league-high 48 sacks even though he had PFF's longest average time between receiving the snap and getting taken to the ground. Overall, the 2019 Cardinals ranked 21st in adjusted line yards per rush and 26th in adjusted sack rate (Football Outsiders). The 2018 Browns finished at 18th and 16th, respectively. The 2019 Browns released journeyman/starting LT Greg Robinson after the preseason before quickly re-signing him prior to Week 1 in a cost-saving move. This was a major red flag that should've brought our attention to the main way that Cleveland's loaded offense could potentially fail.

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/numbers/2020-cardinals-have-2019-browns-vibe
Debbie Downer in the house

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murray took a league-high 48 sacks even though he had PFF's longest average time between receiving the snap and getting taken to the ground.

I would estimate that at least a third of those sacks were Murray learning.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
kyler wants to win. baker wants to be famous. if everything was the same except the quarterbacks, i'd be worried.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Murray took a league-high 48 sacks even though he had PFF's longest average time between receiving the snap and getting taken to the ground.

I would estimate that at least a third of those sacks were Murray learning.
Kyler was the most evasive QB in the league by far, and he was a top-5 hurried QB.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler was the most evasive QB in the league by far, and he was a top-5 hurried QB.

Yes he was the most evasive but he also had the most time to throw. There were multiple times he could have not taken the negative play. Part of his evolution

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will only worry if Murray is in Progressive Commercial. He needs to go be a State Farm one with Mahomes

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yes he was the most evasive but he also had the most time to throw. There were multiple times he could have not taken the negative play. Part of his evolution
He had the most time to throw because of how he evaded the rush under his own power, not because of time to him having to release and run from people in his own backfield. Unless I'm misreading your quote, and there's more nuance that I'm not seeing. Time from snap to being taken to the ground isn't the same as time from snap to time to being pressured.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We aren't getting hyped that way and we have one trade that is good but that is it. Wait for the preseason.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Solar the Oline doesn’t “suck”. 2018 it sucked!

Can it get better? Yes. I still think a better Oline starts at center & tossing Shipley to the junkyard is the start of a better unit.

With that said, I luv Wirfs & his abilities more than any OT in this draft

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Solar the Oline doesn’t “suck”. 2018 it sucked!

Can it get better? Yes. I still think a better Oline starts at center & tossing Shipley to the junkyard is the start of a better unit.

With that said, I luv Wirfs & his abilities more than any OT in this draft
At best, it's below average.

Take a deep dive into Murray's pressure numbers, or just watch the games. We had some good running games, but it was rough going for Kyler.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson