10 thoughts - Browns game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My biggest takeaway from the negative articles is that we are now one step closer to finding out what Keim had on Bidwill, so that he didn’t get fired. Because it obviously has something to do with the working climate. Bidwill must have done something specific that is very wrong. Something that he is either scared of or ashamed of and are willing to go very far to not get out in public.

---------------

1 – Flashback to the happy John Skelton-Ryan Lindley-Max Hall days.

2 – Kyzir White is their best defender.

3 – The entire o-line crumbled. No need to point out anyone specific.

4 – Good to have Antonio Hamilton back. He is not great, but I trust him the most out of all the cornerbacks.

5 – 58 total yards, and 1 out of 12 on third down. That’s actually hard to do.

6 – Nice to see Owen Pappoe getting highly involved on special teams. I have big expectations.

7 – Give credit to Nick Rallis and the other defensive coaches. The defense lacks abilities, but they play hard and keep overachieving.

8 – I like Dante Stills. He’s a keeper.

9 – No RB with above 1.0 yards per carry.

10 – I was high on Elijah Higgins throughout the pre-draft process, where he was a WR like in college, so even though he has transferred to a slot WR/TE role, it is nice to see that he gets more and more snaps.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
#8. Agree. Looks like a solid rotational guy on the DL. He should have gotten a pass defensed on that bizarre Browns TD.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7. I agree and stated so in another post. Especially when you consider they were back on the field after every 6-7 plays.
8. Agree on Stills. Add Williams. Agree on White.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
#1 Those guys actually played with a better roster
#2 White can’t cover ever medium fast TEs. He’s solid otherwise.
#6 Good athletes, poor football instincts.

Captain Matt

Registered
Reaction score
I’ve tried to learn to like DJ Humphries but wasn’t terribly surprised to see him get abused by Cleveland (they are good) nor to see an “injury” shortly after picking up a penalty. Big personality, big investment by Cards, but I’ll not be shocked to see Monti jettison him after the season.

The o-line isn’t great but it really felt like an emotional collapse by the 2nd half.

Hopefully they will be invigorated by the announcement of Murray starting so early in the week.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’ve tried to learn to like DJ Humphries but wasn’t terribly surprised to see him get abused by Cleveland (they are good) nor to see an “injury” shortly after picking up a penalty. Big personality, big investment by Cards, but I’ll not be shocked to see Monti jettison him after the season.

The o-line isn’t great but it really felt like an emotional collapse by the 2nd half.

Hopefully they will be invigorated by the announcement of Murray starting so early in the week.
Matt, I almost expect that Humphries is not on the team next season. The next two years he will have a base salary of little less than 16 million (this season he made 5 million), with a cap hit of nearly 23 million. None of the salary is guaranteed, though, and by making him a post-June 1st cut, he will only leave a little less than 7 million in dead money.

Sure, they could re-do the deal, but he has now played bad in two out of the last three seasons. At his best he is certainly an above average left tackle, but as he is playing now, he is simply not worthy of that contract.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Matt, I almost expect that Humphries is not on the team next season. The next two years he will have a base salary of little less than 16 million (this season he made 5 million), with a cap hit of nearly 23 million. None of the salary is guaranteed, though, and by making him a post-June 1st cut, he will only leave a little less than 7 million in dead money.

Sure, they could re-do the deal, but he has now played bad in two out of the last three seasons. At his best he is certainly an above average left tackle, but as he is playing now, he is simply not worthy of that contract.
Yep - hate to add another hole but gotta see if PJJ works there and add another tackle regardless.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yep - hate to add another hole but gotta see if PJJ works there and add another tackle regardless.
I would leave Johnson right where he is and just draft an LT... rumor has it PJ would have been the 4th or 5th best OT in this current draft so we should be able to get a strong player.
we all want MHJ...but I see it as highly likely Monti trades our higher pick...which would put us likely in a great position to draft a starting LT, then get a DT later...and maybe a WR in the second... as for Hump... he has more value than most fans think.... maybe a draft day trade for a 2nd? linemen regularly play into their mid thirties so Hump is not old..probably still has at least 5 or 6 years to play...a 2nd round pick would be a steal for him...if he goes before the draft I might even expect a first.
Fashanu is a popular guy on the board.... But I also like Mims from Georgia... they also have an OC that I would like to target at the start of the third in Van Pran

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I would leave Johnson right where he is and just draft an LT... rumor has it PJ would have been the 4th or 5th best OT in this current draft so we should be able to get a strong player.
we all want MHJ...but I see it as highly likely Monti trades our higher pick...which would put us likely in a great position to draft a starting LT, then get a DT later...and maybe a WR in the second... as for Hump... he has more value than most fans think.... maybe a draft day trade for a 2nd? linemen regularly play into their mid thirties so Hump is not old..probably still has at least 5 or 6 years to play...a 2nd round pick would be a steal for him...if he goes before the draft I might even expect a first.
Fashanu is a popular guy on the board.... But I also like Mims from Georgia... they also have an OC that I would like to target at the start of the third in Van Pran
If we wait until the 2nd round to draft a WR then we deserve to suck. I am tired of looking at our skill positions and having little to no hope.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If we wait until the 2nd round to draft a WR then we deserve to suck. I am tired of looking at our skill positions and having little to no hope.
depends on how the draft plays out.guys projected to be first rounders today will go early in the 2nd come april.
we need a legit number 1...and I would prefer not just good but great... but I will not be offended if we find him in round three just so long as we find him.

Stout

Reaction score
depends on how the draft plays out.guys projected to be first rounders today will go early in the 2nd come april.
we need a legit number 1...and I would prefer not just good but great... but I will not be offended if we find him in round three just so long as we find him.
If we want talent, we need to prioritize it, not wait and hope for the best.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we want talent, we need to prioritize it, not wait and hope for the best.
Right now we are drafting 1and 15. If we stayed there we could get a great wr and a very good ot. Or we could get a great ot and a very good wr.
Don’t know which is the best way to go but I want this offense fixed and to be dynamic.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Psst...there is a higher hit rate over the past 15 years for 2nd round WRs. You just have to take McLaurin or Metcalf and not Isabella.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Past...there is a higher hit rate over the past 15 years for 2nd round WRs. You just have to take McLaurin or Metcalf and not Isabella.
I agree with Stout. We have 2 first round picks in the top 15 at the moment. We have dicked around long enough. Get a guy that can step in now.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I agree with Stout. We have 2 first round picks in the top 15 at the moment. We have dicked around long enough. Get a guy that can step in now.
The problem is that objective evidence doesn't agree with taking WRs in round one. There are obvious examples of great round one WRs, but there are actual more hits on round two WRs.

You just don't take outliers like Rondale Moore and Andy Isabella. You take guys that fit the mold of successful NFL WRs.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is that objective evidence doesn't agree with taking WRs in round one. There are obvious examples of great round one WRs, but there are actual more hits on round two WRs.

You just don't take outliers like Rondale Moore and Andy Isabella. You take guys that fit the mold of successful NFL WRs.
No doubt. But do you take the next Larry Fitzgerald if he is available with that 1st pick?

Stout

Reaction score

The problem is that this logic dictates you never take an early 1st round WR. Yes, there can be great round 2 WRs if you pick the right one. I'd rather us just take the player shaping up to be the next truly great WR. No guarantee, but seeing as how we are desperate for playmakers, I want "the guy."

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The problem is that this logic dictates you never take an early 1st round WR. Yes, there can be great round 2 WRs if you pick the right one. I'd rather us just take the player shaping up to be the next truly great WR. No guarantee, but seeing as how we are desperate for playmakers, I want "the guy."
I think my personal philosophy is that you don't have to do anything. Let the draft come to you. If the Cardinals are offered 5 high picks for their 1st rounder, it would be insane to keep the pick for a non-QB.

The delta between the top WR and the next ten best isn't that big. It's not worth the chance to add 4 other highly rated players.

Stout

Reaction score
I think my personal philosophy is that you don't have to do anything. Let the draft come to you. If the Cardinals are offered 5 high picks for their 1st rounder, it would be insane to keep the pick for a non-QB.

The delta between the top WR and the next ten best isn't that big. It's not worth the chance to add 4 other highly rated players.
Then what do you say if MHJ becomes a HOFer, your later-round WR doesn't pan out, and those picks don't bring in what you expect?

Would you trade the opportunity at Fitz for a haul of picks? I swear, I need to get a second jersey with "Haul of Picks" to go with my "Cap Space" jersey. How many games has "Haul of Picks" won?

I get it, the desire to hoard picks and get more bites at the cherry. I just feel that at a certain point you stand pat. Your philosophy is too rigid, IMO.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Then what do you say if MHJ becomes a HOFer, your later-round WR doesn't pan out, and those picks don't bring in what you expect?

Would you trade the opportunity at Fitz for a haul of picks? I swear, I need to get a second jersey with "Haul of Picks" to go with my "Cap Space" jersey. How many games has "Haul of Picks" won?

I get it, the desire to hoard picks and get more bites at the cherry. I just feel that at a certain point you stand pat. Your philosophy is too rigid, IMO.
If the handful of picks included an anquan boldin I would:)

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

It's a great point but there are no guarantees with one player (MHJ) or multiple.

We need impact players that get 2nd contracts. :)