Jazz @ Suns Monday 10-28-19 game thread

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Oh lord, Monty is right, you have to earn calls. We aren’t there yet. But we will certainly be climbing closer. At the end of the day I didn’t think the refs lost this one. We did with all the turnovers down the stretch and missed opportunities.

still, as cheese pointed out, we’ve lost two games. Both to playoff teams. Both by 1 point (one of which was in OT). And this is without Ayton. Even tonight’s ugly contest was a step forward for this team.
We have to earn them checking how much time should be on the clock?

I somewhat agree about foul calls, but it's absolute BS IMO that it has to work that way. I mean is it so hard for them to just call what they see without considering the teams involved?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Tough loss.

Truths becoming more and more evident each game:

Monty Williams can coach.
Jevon Carter can defend and make big shots.
Kelly Oubre can bring infectious energy.
Aron Baynes can contribute.
Mikal Bridges can bring fundamentals.

Ricky Rubio can't shoot or take care of the ball.
Dario Saric can't play.
Cam Johnson can't keep up with NBA level athletes.

Devin Booker can carry the team, but he can also let the team down at the worst possible times.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Tough loss.

Truths becoming more and more evident each game:

Monty Williams can coach.
Jevon Carter can defend and make big shots.
Kelly Oubre can bring infectious energy.
Aron Baynes can contribute.
Mikal Bridges can bring fundamentals.

Ricky Rubio can't shoot or take care of the ball.
Dario Saric can't play.
Cam Johnson can't keep up with NBA level athletes.

Devin Booker can carry the team, but he can also let the team down at the worst possible times.
Lol dude its the same post everytime! Of course you didnt bag on Cam or Dario during the Clippers game. The obsession you have about being right is nuts...enjoy the team the entire team.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Even with a loss this team is so much better we are actually an NBA team again. Thank god

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
Four games and three of those games against the elite of the West and we went 1-2 and we still I believe the youngest team in the NBA. How we had a chance to win all three is amazing. This team is actually a NBA team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yeah, bridges is being under used.

It kinda feels like either they don’t exactly know how they want to use bridges, or he doesnt know where he fits in.

I don't think he's being underused at all, he's being used like a late lottery pick who is starting his 2nd year. Monty isn't using him as his primary defender like Igor did, for better or worse. As good as Bridges is, he does still need to develop more of a complete game and I think some people were overrating him headed into this season.

He had a lot of great defensive games last year when his stat line was like 5 points on 1-5 shooting with 2 assists, 4 boards, and 2 steals. The people that watched those games saw what he did but he was on the verge of becoming a PJ Tucker type of player if that continued and that's selling him short since he was considered one of the best shooters in the draft. He should be like a better version of Danny Green rather than Tucker and I think Monty will help him become that.

He'll get it together in time and he'll be used more but Monty isn't putting too much on his plate right now, which isn't a bad thing. He's being coached now rather than being thrown out there to learn for himself. I think we'll see a much better Bridges for it.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It didn't matter in the end whether the calls were all correct or not. The fact that the game was turned into a slideshow, a style favoring the VISITING team, it was always going to favor the plodding Jazz.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but they had to make that call tonight though, it was obvious and unmissable.

It's not the one call in isolation... Booker fouled. The bigger problem I thought it was a terribly officiated game.

The Suns had their chances though especially if that Oubre 3 pointer had dropped.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not the one call in isolation... Booker fouled. The bigger problem I thought it was a terribly officiated game.

The Suns had their chances though especially if that Oubre 3 pointer had dropped.

Well, it's not like I don't agree about the overall refereeing.

Referees make mistakes, I get that. What I don't get is how they can fall for the same kind of tricks over and again. Mitchell repeatedly grabbed Booker's arm as he beat him via a pick, the hold costing Booker a half second or allowing the help defender to get into position down low. Or how many times did Gobert do something like grab one of our guys around the waist and then move backwards so that the ref would think our guy was pushing him away from the basket? It's almost a signature move for Rudy and they didn't call it all night.

Yeah, we did stupid stuff at stupid times and contributed to our own demise but expecting a young team to overcome this kind of adversity is exceedingly optimistic IMO. The guys in stripes have a job to do, they should start doing it more often JMO.

RockinDaMike

Veteran
Reaction score
Glad we are back to blaming the refs instead of the team, coach, gm and owner.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it's not like I don't agree about the overall refereeing.

Referees make mistakes, I get that. What I don't get is how they can fall for the same kind of tricks over and again. Mitchell repeatedly grabbed Booker's arm as he beat him via a pick, the hold costing Booker a half second or allowing the help defender to get into position down low. Or how many times did Gobert do something like grab one of our guys around the waist and then move backwards so that the ref would think our guy was pushing him away from the basket? It's almost a signature move for Rudy and they didn't call it all night.

Yeah, we did stupid stuff at stupid times and contributed to our own demise but expecting a young team to overcome this kind of adversity is exceedingly optimistic IMO. The guys in stripes have a job to do, they should start doing it more often JMO.

Don't get me started about Gobert and Mitchell. At least Ingles had a quiet game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It didn't matter in the end whether the calls were all correct or not. The fact that the game was turned into a slideshow, a style favoring the VISITING team, it was always going to favor the plodding Jazz.

I don't know if that's entirely accurate. Based on how the Suns have looked in the previous 3 games though, I don't think they let the Jazz control the tempo or style in a way that truly favored the Jazz and was to the Suns disadvantage. I think we play a very similar style except we don't have that huge paint anchor in Rudy Gobert that they do. Our teams are quite similar with that being the obvious difference.

This Suns team is still finding itself and it looks very similar to the Jazz with the defense first intensity for 48 minutes and the next man up sort of philosophy. The Jazz have been at it longer and they got some fortunate calls as well, which helped them get the win. I don't think the Suns let the Jazz set the style of play so much because that's how they also looked in Denver and against the Clippers. More shots were falling against the Clippers though.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We have to earn them checking how much time should be on the clock?

I somewhat agree about foul calls, but it's absolute BS IMO that it has to work that way. I mean is it so hard for them to just call what they see without considering the teams involved?
There’s no excuse for not checking the clock. That was perplexing to me.

but reputations take time to change unfortunately. And the suns have almost literally never had a rep for physical defense. But some of these players (Rubio, baynes, Carter, bridges) do. So you hope their rep plus our play eventually changes the perspective of who we are. It would help tremendously if when Ayton returned he became a monster in the paint.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
When looking at in perspective both of our losses are games we realistically should have won. That is tough to accept regardless of what the expectation were prior to the season.
I don’t know about “should” have, but certainly could have.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was actually able to catch the end of this game last night, showed up on one of my Sling TV channels.

The Suns had good control in the fourth, until the back to back stupid turnovers by Rubio and Booker that Utah turned into points both times. Those killed us.

Booker is young and has a way to go in his crunch time decision making, but I really expected better from Rubio. Rubio was playing well in the 4th, taking it to the basket a couple times for nice baskets. But that crazy pass he attempted was a head scratcher. Take care of the ball man, we had the lead!