Jazz @ Suns Monday 10-28-19 game thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Jazz visit the Suns on Monday for a 7 p.m Arizona time game. It will be televised on FSAZ.

The Jazz (2-1) are coming off a 113-81 win over the Kings on Saturday at home. They beat the Thunder in their opener and lost to the Lakers.

No doubt it will be a stiff test for the Suns.

2. Mainstreet

It looks like Ricky Rubio is probable which is welcome news although Jevon Carter played well in the Suns win over the Clippers on Saturday.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

Ricky Rubio is probable for Monday's game.

4:14 PM - 27 Oct 2019

3. Mainstreet

Ty Jerome is still out.

4. Ronin

Ronin Registered

5. ArizonaSportsFan

ArizonaSportsFan Registered User

I feel sorry for anyone that gets a feed of the Jazz broadcast. I hope for a great game from the Suns because I can't stand the Jazz (I live in the Jazz market, unfortunately).

6. Hoop Head

Hoop Head ASFN Contributor Contributor

Who does their commentary, anyone noteworthy? I would imagine they're homers since Utah doesn't have any other professional teams but I wanted to hear another team's broadcast just to hear what they have to say about the Suns. I guess I'll skip that for the Jazz game. I should have listened to the Clippers feed with Billups.

7. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

Since I have no patience for EJ's runaway ego I tend to watch the opponent broadcast. I don't recall the name of the Jazz play by play announcer as I haven't paid attention to anyone there since Hot Rod Hundley retired. But I think the color guy is either Harpring or Thurl Bailey - I have fairly recent memories of each in that role.

Billups did a good job the other night and he and his partner (forget the name, no longer Ralph Lawler) were very complimentary of the Suns all night. Speaking of Billups though, I'd like to hear him answer the question now that he was so glib about early in the telecast. His partner asked him if he thought the Suns were going to be the most improved team this season. He laughed off the idea (not arrogantly or anything) and said that he had a lot of teams in the running for that but the Clippers were the easy call for most improved. Regardless of how he'd answer it now, I'll bet we moved up on his list.

Hoop Head likes this.
  8. Mainstreet

The Suns are starting to get some attention.

9. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

This has to one of the great stories this year. Ayton is out, but Baynes and Kaminsky are capable. Rubio is out but Carter and Booker fill the pg role nicely in a pinch. Having quality depth is such a luxury.

AzStevenCal likes this.
  10. JCSunsfan

Isn't Hot Rod Hunley still doing Jazz broadcasts? He used to team with Al McCoy 40 years ago.

I love to go read other teams' message boards to see what they have to say about the Suns. I don't post though.

11. Hoop Head

Hoop Head ASFN Contributor Contributor

I'm surprised you're not a fan of EJ. I think he's one of the best color commentators in all of sports, not just basketball or locally. He really does provide some quality insight. I know he strokes his own ego a bit but generally it's not much of an issue. I did notice him doing that more during the Clippers game because they talked a lot about Lou Williams, who is the reigning Sixth Man of the Year, and EJ has won that award as well. Whenever he has the chance to bring it back to something he did like that, he doesn't pass up the opportunity to do so, which I could see rubbing some people the wrong way.

Appreciate the info on the Jazz crew. I do remember hearing something about Harpring working there now. It's the role players like EJ, Harpring, and Bailey that generally make the best TV people because their egos aren't that outrageous and they're willing to take a backseat to the action. Also they have to know a lot about the game to have had long careers playing. That's why I was surprised that Billups works with the Clippers. I remember how he was a favorite for the Cavs GM job a few years back but he past, understandably so, and hearing that he's now calling games is a little surprising.

95pro and CardsSunsDbacks like this.
  12. Mainstreet

Agree. Having NBA depth is awesome.

Particularly exciting for me is how Monty has the Suns playing defense and playing as a team. If the Suns can keep this up they are going to be in most games. Tough game ahead tonight. The Jazz always give the Suns problems.

13. Capital Card

Capital Card The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid

To me, this has been the most notable aspect of this years team. We seem to have the deepest bench I can recall for the Suns in a long time.

14. JCSunsfan

Interesting facts in those two articles.

1. After two games, the Warriors have not yet had a lead.
    2. The Warriors have 6 first or second-year players on their roster. Sounds like a Suns thing to do, with the same results.
    3. After three games, the Suns have the highest point differential in the league.
    4. After three games, the Suns lead the league in assist percentage.

It's early, of course, but it is encouraging that maybe we have turned a corner.

15. Mainstreet

When everyone is healthy and available the Suns have the players to go twelve deep. It doesn't seem to be an illusion.