Did the Cardinals tip their hat to what QB they intend to draft...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I have been taking in everything the Cardinals have been putting out there like so many of us, but something was said which now is resounding in my conscious. I cannot find the video or quote, cannot remember if it was Keim or Leftwhich but believe it was Keim, but basically being that one is not going to care where a guy was taken a few years from now but that you went out and got him. That last part was key to me, and not something you say while waiting for the second round but something one might say when you select a guy in the first others might have slotted to go later. I think the Cardinals are going to stay where they are in the first and select a QB most are going to consider a reach. I do not think the Cardinals would say this if it was a kid like Lamar Jackson because his worth seems split among NFL teams and would be accepted in the first or second, but this is the kind of statement one would say if one of those perceived second tier guys is your guy. I believe the Cardinals are going to use that first round pick on a guy which they believe in and the draft value game be damn. There are four guys which come to mind, Mason Rudolph, Luke Falk, Mark White and Kyle Lauletta. I have a hunch the Cardinals are selecting Luke Falk with the fifteen pick in the NFL draft because he's their guy

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Interesting take, JG. The curious thing is that Luke Falk is the one QB the Cardinals left out of the 7 they are reportedly most interested in.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Interesting take, JG. The curious thing is that Luke Falk is the one QB the Cardinals left out of the 7 they are reportedly most interested in.

That to me would endorse even more he might be the one as your statement eludes since you do not want other teams to know what you're doing. Again, this is just a feeling I am getting, not to say I'm right, but I cannot get that statement out of my mind, unless a team is preparing to say, "we told you so" about a pick which might not be popular. Sure, it's early in the game but teams scout all year and Keim has said more than once it's the game tape which counts and they have their sights set on players way before the draft. They did show him a lot in their recent video from Mobile. Falk to me is the one guy which has shown the accuracy to be a sleeper from what I have read about the prospects in the first

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
That to me would endorse even more he might be the one as your statement eludes since you do not want other teams to know what you're doing. Again, this is just a feeling I am getting, not to say I'm right, but I cannot get that statement out of my mind, unless a team is preparing to say, "we told you so" about a pick which might not be popular. Sure, it's early in the game but teams scout all year and Keim has said more than once it's the game tape which counts and they have their sights set on players way before the draft. They did show him a lot in their recent video from Mobile. Falk to me is the one guy which has shown the accuracy to be a sleeper from what I have read about the prospects in the first

If they’re in love with Falk, then 15 is way too high. He’ll be there at 47.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I have been taking in everything the Cardinals have been putting out there like so many of us, but something was said which now is resounding in my conscious. I cannot find the video or quote, cannot remember if it was Keim or Leftwhich but believe it was Keim, but basically being that one is not going to care where a guy was taken a few years from now but that you went out and got him. That last part was key to me, and not something you say while waiting for the second round but something one might say when you select a guy in the first others might have slotted to go later. I think the Cardinals are going to stay where they are in the first and select a QB most are going to consider a reach. I do not think the Cardinals would say this if it was a kid like Lamar Jackson because his worth seems split among NFL teams and would be accepted in the first or second, but this is the kind of statement one would say if one of those perceived second tier guys is your guy. I believe the Cardinals are going to use that first round pick on a guy which they believe in and the draft value game be damn. There are four guys which come to mind, Mason Rudolph, Luke Falk, Mark White and Kyle Lauletta. I have a hunch the Cardinals are selecting Luke Falk with the fifteen pick in the NFL draft because he's their guy

If they are going in this direction I hope they trade down, get another pick in the process and then still grab their guy. Of course we can always hope lightning strikes twice and the team just ahead of the Cardinals selects the guy the Cardinals wanted there and they end up picking the next guy on their board. We lucked out with D. Johnson (thank you Detroit), maybe some team will help us out this way again.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
If they are going in this direction I hope they trade down, get another pick in the process and then still grab their guy. Of course we can always hope lightning strikes twice and the team just ahead of the Cardinals selects the guy the Cardinals wanted there and they end up picking the next guy on their board. We lucked out with D. Johnson (thank you Detroit), maybe some team will help us out this way again.

I am not going to argue because my favorite three QBs are Rosen, Mayfield and Jackson... Rudolph reminds me of Derek Anderson sometimes when under pressure with his inaccurate high passes and Falk is like Captain Checkdown with the way he hardly ever reads a defense and just dumps it off

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
They didn’t. This is a cliche. But EVERYONE remembers when a QB was drafted and how he was acquired.

Let me clarify. Nobody is going to care in a negative light if one does not win the momentary draft value game if the quarterback pans out :)

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I sure hope they are not dumb enough to reach for a later round QB in the top 15 of the draft. I don't remember any surprise reaches in the 1st round working out. I only remember names like Christian Ponder, Gabbert, Manziel, etc... People were surprised when they went so high and for good reason. Does anyone remember a QB (in the last 20 years) that was a big reach, panning out? Without researching, I can't think of any.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rumor mill "says" Luke Falk is the brilliant mind when it comes to QBs in this draft. He has size. Adequate arm. Played with a broken bone in his hand the whole last season. Coached by a genius who let him change plays and read defenses. Maybe he is Jared Goff II.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
He's probably talking about moving up from the 15 or 47 picks and securing YOUR QB. No surprise in watching how it played out ladt draft, and likely once again with so many needy teams and aging QB's.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Let me clarify. Nobody is going to care in a negative light if one does not win the momentary draft value game if the quarterback pans out :)

I think this is what he was saying

as an example:

assume the Seahawks took Russel Wilson with their first round pick

on draft day: REACH!
today: GENIUS!

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The rumor mill "says" Luke Falk is the brilliant mind when it comes to QBs in this draft. He has size. Adequate arm. Played with a broken bone in his hand the whole last season. Coached by a genius who let him change plays and read defenses. Maybe he is Jared Goff II.

For some reason I have a hunch that he's our guy.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I appreciate your take, Jetstream, and I understand were you are coming from. For instance, nobody cares now that Cam Newton or Joe Flacco were perceived as reaches back then.

That said, I simply don’t believe that they know what they are going to do in the draft two months before it is actually being held. Free agency has not happened yet, draft prospect’s pro days, visits from draft prospects, draft meetings with all the coaches, draft meetings with all the scouts, setting up their draft board, all those things, and surely more, has not happened yet. They might be leaning toward some players, but if they are even close to decide which guy they want to go with, or if they have decided if they will trade up, down or stand pat, well, then they are not really doing their job.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Keim is a horrible drafter and takes projects early as well. Keim will take someone not on any boards in the 2nd rd. Keim thinks hes wiser than all, so yes I predict some WTF draft moments happening

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Considering how many people on this board want us to trade up to secure "our guy" and are angry we sat on our hands last year when Watson and Mahomes got sniped from us, I'm surprised at how many in this thread are saying "I hope we trade back and get more picks if we're going to try to select X guy."

Last year there were a ton of people insistent that the draft had no first round QBs, and we should wait... lo and behold, 3 QBs taken before 12.

Edit: I guess I should have actually made a point here. I'm fine if the Cardinals "reach" if they've done their homework and think one specific guy is better than the talking heads on ESPN are saying. I'm not okay if they panic because 6 QBs went before 15, and they're just taking the next guy on the board.

Last edited:

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Team X should be worried about a player they penciled in for 5th rounder, cause Keim is going to outsmart them by picking the player in round 2

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Team X should be worried about a player they penciled in for 5th rounder, cause Keim is going to outsmart them by picking the player in round 2

2017: Budda Baker
2016: traded for Chandler Jones
2015: Marcus Golden
2014: Troy Niklas
2013: Kevin Minter

i dunno -- the second round -- Niklas aside -- has been pretty by the book

interestingly: the guy who looked like a reach at the time -- Golden, has been really good

the guy they took right in line with expectations -- Minter, was merely ok / meh

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson