OT Joey Bosa

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Update from rotoworld
http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football?ls=roto:nfl:gnav

"The San Diego Union-Tribune's Michael Gehlken reports the Chargers recently offered holdout No. 3 overall pick Joey Bosa "their best offer," but Bosa rejected it and talks "are nowhere."

This is past being ridiculous, but it's only getting worse. There was a report earlier this week that the Chargers were willing to give Bosa $10 million of his $17 million signing bonus up front, but that's still not good enough for Bosa's camp. This looks like it could seriously linger into the regular season.
"

So SD has even broken their policy for him, at least trying to come half way, and hes still rejecting it. San Diego is at the table and trying. Bosa is not. He and his agent are quite literally sitting in the aisle holding their breath and kicking their feet.

Forget this chump. Ive said it 1,000 times in this thread, life isn't fair, but you can help yourself by being negotiable.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Bosa has every right to get what he feels is owed to him.

That being said, this wreaks of a player who is going to pull a Daryl Washington, and take the money and run.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

That being said, this wreaks of a player who is going to pull a Daryl Washington, and take the money and run.

This feels like an exchange scene from a bad 80's action movie.

Terrorist 1: "Show me the doomsday device."
Terrorist 2: "No, show me the money first."

Terrorist 1: (Pulls out Uzi) "No, show me the doomsday device. I will not ask again."
Terrorist 2: (Pulls out bazooka and 30 ninjas suddenly appear)"No, show me the money first!"

Next, Chuck Norris will show up and slap all them around and then walk off into the sunset while a cheesy sax plays mournful tunes over the credits.

The End.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
This feels like an exchange scene from a bad 80's action movie.

Terrorist 1: "Show me the doomsday device."
Terrorist 2: "No, show me the money first."

Terrorist 1: (Pulls out Uzi) "No, show me the doomsday device. I will not ask again."
Terrorist 2: (Pulls out bazooka and 30 ninjas suddenly appear)"No, show me the money first!"

Next, Chuck Norris will show up and slap all them around and then walk off into the sunset while a cheesy sax plays mournful tunes over the credits.

The End.
:biglaugh:

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

The right? 100%. But chargers have the right to reject his "I dont negotiate" stance.

Owed? For what? Hes already been offered $10M having never snapped in an NFL helmet before. The entitlement of these kids is unbelievable.

That's the vibe I get. Because the only reason hed worry about offset language is if he busts and gets cut.....well if you don't plan on busting, then its a irrational worry.

At this point I enjoy the chaos. Let it get uglier! :devil:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The right? 100%. But chargers have the right to reject his "I dont negotiate" stance.

Owed? For what? Hes already been offered $10M having never snapped in an NFL helmet before. The entitlement of these kids is unbelievable.

That's the vibe I get. Because the only reason hed worry about offset language is if he busts and gets cut.....well if you don't plan on busting, then its a irrational worry.

At this point I enjoy the chaos. Let it get uglier! :devil:

What part of it's a SIGNING bonus and therefore due at signature on contract don't you understand?

This is the type of minor league crap that Dollar Bill Bidwill use to pull before Graves brought him into the 20th century.

Last edited:

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What part of it's a SIGNING bonus and therefore due at signature on contract don't you understand?

Hes gonna get it. SD has control over when.

If there were a bound legal obligation that they gave all of it to him NOW...then why isn't Bosa petitioning the league and CBA? Because there isn't a legal obligation. Only an 'unwritten rule' of tradition.

10 upfront is reasonable. He'll get the 7 later. OR he can sit.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hes gonna get it. SD has control over when.

If there were a bound legal obligation that they gave all of it to him NOW...then why isn't Bosa petitioning the league and CBA? Because there isn't a legal obligation. Only an 'unwritten rule' of tradition.

10 upfront is reasonable. He'll get the 7 later. OR he can sit.

So he gets to invest 10 now and wait on the 7 that SD will invest / spend as they please. It's his $$$ and he has every right to turn down any negotiation on SD's installment plan.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So he gets to invest 10 now and wait on the 7 that SD will invest / spend as they please. It's his $$$ and he has every right to turn down any negotiation on SD's installment plan.

You get paid salary at work? Its a guaranteed amount. You will get $40,000 by year end, via installments.

Walk into your bosses office right now and DEMAND your full $40,000. That full 40k is yours and guaranteed to you. Its your money. But you wont, and we all know why.

Explain the difference.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You get paid salary at work? Its a guaranteed amount. You will get $40,000 by year end, via installments.

Walk into your bosses office right now and DEMAND your full $40,000. That full 40k is yours and guaranteed to you. Its your money. But you wont, and we all know why.

Explain the difference.

I receive salary, stock options and bonus as part of my agreement. I must exercise my stock options on given dates and they must pay my bonus on time and in full.

The issue has nothing to do with salary!

In a battle between billionaires and millionaires, I stand with the little guy. Evidently you don't and the Spanos family thanks you.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I receive salary, stock options and bonus as part of my agreement. I must exercise my stock options on given dates and they must pay my bonus on time and in full.

The issue has nothing to do with salary!

In a battle between billionaires and millionaires, I stand with the little guy. Evidently you don't and the Spanos family thanks you.

you don't get it. This isn't about right and wrong. Its about legality.

Chargers are within their rights. They've broken no agreement. They've attempted to negotiate and come halfway (when they were not required to). Bosa is the one being difficult.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Excellent concise summary by PFT:

"The overriding problem continues to be that the Chargers do not want to deviate from what it regards as team precedent, and Bosa does not want to deviate from what he regards as precedent for the No. 3 overall pick in the draft.

The two primary sticking points had related to whether the guaranteed money will include offset language, and whether a large piece of the signing bonus will be deferred until March 2017. (There’s also a disagreement on the language and amount of training-camp roster bonuses, which are now common in top-10 rookie deals including offset language.) However, there never had been a dispute over the total dollars."

Total dollars isn't the issue. Its team precedent vs the rest of the league precedent. Team precedent wins.

AZ doesn't recognize daylight savings time. Rest of the nation does. You live in AZ so deal with it.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
you don't get it. This isn't about right and wrong. Its about legality.

Chargers are within their rights. They've broken no agreement. They've attempted to negotiate and come halfway (when they were not required to). Bosa is the one being difficult.

My friend, I'm the one with the Law degree so don't presume. No one argues that the team is within its rights to defer payment but Bosa has every legal right to demand full adherence to the spirit and letter of an agreement. Difficult? Depends on what side of the table and we know on what side you sit.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My friend, I'm the one with the Law degree so don't presume. No one argues that the team is within its rights to defer payment but Bosa has every legal right to demand full adherence to the spirit and letter of an agreement. Difficult? Depends on what side of the table and we know on what side you sit.

*Ask not demand*. And the answer is no.

So he stomps his feet and walks out? Is that what an adult does? When Yes or No is a choice, sometimes the answer is No. We all learn this when we're 5.

And when the other side goes against its own precedence and is offering 10 of 17 (the remaining 7 is still guaranteed, youll just get it later) and you still reject it...yeah, youre being hella difficult.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
*Ask not demand*. And the answer is no.

So he stomps his feet and walks out? Is that what an adult does? When Yes or No is a choice, sometimes the answer is No. We all learn this when we're 5.

And when the other side goes against its own precedence and is offering 10 of 17 (the remaining 7 is still guaranteed, youll just get it later) and you still reject it...yeah, youre being hella difficult.

I understand the legal difference between 'ask' and 'demand' and Bosa under contract law can certainly demand, as pointed out earlier. The Chargers can refuse and then the next legal steps under the CBA come into play. Bosa has been willing to negotiate deferment and offset language, while the Chargers insist on both. Who is being difficult?

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

He doesn't have any $$$ yet, so it's not his. He gets nothing if he doesn't agree to a contract. Hard to make interest on $0.

He can sit out and get nothing for a year and miss out on interest for a year. Then he would be entered the 2017 Draft where he won't be selected #2 overall and will make a fraction of what he could have this year.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bosa has been willing to negotiate deferment and offset language, while the Chargers insist on both. Who is being difficult?

That's like a child saying "You can either ground me for a week OR take away my phone, but not both."

Actually yes both. You aren't in charge here.

Stop thinking Bosa is a free agent. Hes not. Hes property of the Chargers. This is not a partnership. He has a boss. His only legal steps are to quit (which is basically what hes doing)

He can sit out and get nothing for a year and miss out on interest for a year. Then he would be entered the 2017 Draft where he won't be selected #2 overall and will make a fraction of what he could have this year.

You word it more eloquently than I.

Yes, this is my point. What is Bosa fighting for? Reenter the draft next year, get taken 11th and get $8mill guaranteed vs the $20M (split up) offered now?

His strategy is insane.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He doesn't have any $$$ yet, so it's not his. He gets nothing if he doesn't agree to a contract. Hard to make interest on $0.

So he's decided at this point to pass on SD's 'gun to the head' negotiations. I wish him the best.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So he's decided at this point to pass on SD's 'gun to the head' negotiations. I wish him the best.

Those are the rules in the NFL.

The Chargers own his rights by drafting him. If he doesn't like it he can sit out for a year and reenter the Draft.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Which he can afford because he comes from a rich family. You argue how much damage SD has done to their image, but I think Bosas is 10x worse. 90% of the players in the NFL cant afford to sit out. Whoever he is redrafted by is going to have a lockeroom full of a guys from poor backgrounds looking at this chump who turned his nose up at $10M now, $7M later.

Already pointed out a couple Chargers, including Gates, whos arguably the Fitz of that team, publically saying Bosa needs to cut it out. If Gates is saying it out loud, you know 100% of that lockeroom is saying internally.

definition of a pyrrhic battle

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which he can afford because he comes from a rich family. You argue how much damage SD has done to their image, but I think Bosas is 10x worse. 90% of the players in the NFL cant afford to sit out. Whoever he is redrafted by is going to have a lockeroom full of a guys from poor backgrounds looking at this chump who turned his nose up at $10M now, $7M later.

Already pointed out a couple Chargers, including Gates, whos arguably the Fitz of that team, publically saying Bosa needs to cut it out. If Gates is saying it out loud, you know 100% of that lockeroom is saying internally.

Corporations never have any problem lining up 'company men' to criticize. This too will pass.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Corporations never have any problem lining up 'company men' to criticize. This too will pass.

You couldn't be more wrong on this point. Players always support players. This is incredibly rare a player is talking about another guys contract. That's one of the biggest lockeroom unwritten rules. Never talk about a teammates contract dispute publically.

Players support players. Why you always see guys saying "Pay the man!".

Any Chargers saying "Pay the man" RE Bosa? *crickets*

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson