OT Joey Bosa

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the Chargers #2 overall draft pick is holding out and remains unsigned... Just curious how that is even possible anymore with rookies being slotted and the amount they can make is pretty much set??? Anyone got any insight?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
In this case, it's a disagreement as far as how much of his signing bonus should be paid now versus March 2017. Bosa obviously wanting as much up front as possible. Bosa is willing to do offset language in return for more upfront cash.

TJ

Reaction score
That's an old article.

This from the SD Union Tribune yesterday:

While neither party chose to publicly convey the greater details of the stalemate in the interest of keeping talks peaceful and protected, there is known disagreement on what percentage of Bosa's signing bonus should be deferred to the 2017 calendar year. For players, it generally is considered favorable to receive more money upfront. Willingness to feature off-set language (a team-friendly provision) in Bosa's contract comes with expectation of minimal deferral amount.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/jul/29/chargers-joey-bosa-holdout-contract/

TJ

Reaction score
I don't get it... It's the guaranteed portion your getting it no matter what?? Who cares if it's in 2017

I side with the Chargers
If the report is true, and Bosa is willing to have offset language in his contract, that's a pretty big concession. Then again, we don't know what percentage of the $17 mil signing bonus that Bosa's camp is requesting up front, so it remains to be seen who the "guilty" party is.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I'm very Surprised by this.

I understand the Darron Lee hold-out but it should be very standard contract for a High draft pick

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
So glad the Cardinals are a legitimate NFL franchise now. This would of been us with Rod Graves & Bidwill Sr. Running things. Mike & Kiem have changed everything about this franchise into greatness.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So glad the Cardinals are a legitimate NFL franchise now. This would of been us with Rod Graves & Bidwill Sr. Running things. Mike & Kiem have changed everything about this franchise into greatness.

Well said BEERZ , I would remind all that there was a reason Archie Manning was adamant that his son Eli not play his career in SD . How has that worked out for Phillip Rivers ? History would cause me to lean towards supporting Bosa !!!

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Heard on radio he is leveraging the upcoming stadium vote to force Chargers to negotiate. B they need excitement and success heading into the vote and he can help that.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There was little issue with contracts in the final few years under Graves. The new CBA has taken most if not all of the contention out of negotiations.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Probably trying to get his signing bonus up front or eliminate the offset clause. Remember his dad was vey similar but was a bust due to injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get it... It's the guaranteed portion your getting it no matter what?? Who cares if it's in 2017

I side with the Chargers

That isn't the case however. If Bosa got hurt badly this season, the Chargers could release him and save the balance of the bonus.

The Chargers look like the old Cardinals in this case.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Johnathan Cooper did the same thing. Funny how quick we forget.

Instead of haggling over guaranteed money and overall value of a contract, the issue in almost all of these situations is now "offset language." Offset language refers to whether or not a portion of still-remaining guaranteed money is offset to a new team in the event that a player is released before his contract expires.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/7/26/4561766/jonathan-cooper-holdout-cardinals-nfl-training-camp

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Florio of PFT broke down the issue. Or Two issues.

1. Chargers want to split the signing bonuses in payment now and payment in 2017. Bosa wants it all now.

2. Definition of garanteed money/offset language. If Bosa has a garanteed salary of e.g. 1.8M, gets cut and gets signed by another team for 800k. Is Bosa garanteed the 1.8M from the Chargers or are the Chargers only asked to add to the new contract (1M) so he gets the 1.8M? Bosa wants the Chargers to honour the contract and pay the full amount irregardless if he get's a contract elsewhere. The Chargers only want to pay the difference.

Bosa are willing to give up one of those demands - not both. Chargers want both.

According to Florio. All #3 picks previously signed under the new CBA have BOTH benefitting the player. Ezekiel Elliot (#4) this year has both. The top 24 picks this year has one or the other. Yet the Chargers insist on both issues to benefit their side of the Deal.

If this is correct, this dispute is on the Chargers - not Bosa.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
There was little issue with contracts in the final few years under Graves. The new CBA has taken most if not all of the contention out of negotiations.
Yes that made a huge difference also.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Considering almost everything regarding rookies is CBA mandated now, Im surprised offset language isn't also already dictated. It should be rookies are picked, slotted and signed, don't even need an agent for the process.

Regarding Bosa, I say let him sit. Do not cave. Don't let the prisoners run the asylum. Set a precedent that you do not negotiate with this type of behavior. Its not as if hes concerned about providing for his family. Off set language is about greed and double dipping. *Which is 100% his right to do. This is a capitalist market. However, Chargers have the right to tell him to kick rocks. Which they should.

And in regards to what other #3's contracts have looked like, they weren't in San Diego. If you work at Target and your boss comes over and tells you to do X, and you say "But they don't do that at Kohls!" theyd slap the taste out your mouth (or at least they should)

Last edited:

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Get as much as you can, Bosa. You have leverage now and won't for another 4-5 years. a lot can happen in the next 4-5 years and you won't have any control over it. If you outplay your rookie contract, you won't be able to cash in until it is up and then the team can keep you for a fifth year and tag your for subsequent years until you have been in the league 5-6 years. If that were to play out and you bring up the fact that you deserve more money for your play, fans like Bohda would be the first to say, "he shouldn't have signed that contract if he didn't like the terms"

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Get as much as you can, Bosa. You have leverage now and won't for another 4-5 years. a lot can happen in the next 4-5 years and you won't have any control over it. If you outplay your rookie contract, you won't be able to cash in until it is up and then the team can keep you for a fifth year and tag your for subsequent years until you have been in the league 5-6 years. If that were to play out and you bring up the fact that you deserve more money for your play, fans like Bohda would be the first to say, "he shouldn't have signed that contract if he didn't like the terms"

No such thing as outplaying a contract.

When you sign a contract, you are saying "I will give 100% of my effort and talent for X amount of money".

It does not say "I will give the amount of talent and effort that X amount of money justifies".

When that contract expires, if your performance during that period dictates you deserve a raise, then youll get a raise.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No such thing as outplaying a contract.

When you sign a contract, you are saying "I will give 100% of my effort and talent for X amount of money".

It does not say "I will give the amount of talent and effort that X amount of money justifies".

When that contract expires, if your performance during that period dictates you deserve a raise, then youll get a raise.

There is if you can be cut without the team paying 100% of the money that they agreed to pay. Clearly this issue isn't as black and white as you make it seem.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Considering almost everything regarding rookies is CBA mandated now, Im surprised offset language isn't also already dictated. It should be rookies are picked, slotted and signed, don't even need an agent for the process.

Regarding Bosa, I say let him sit. Do not cave. Don't let the prisoners run the asylum. Set a precedent that you do not negotiate with this type of behavior. Its not as if hes concerned about providing for his family. Off set language is about greed and double dipping. *Which is 100% his right to do. This is a capitalist market. However, Chargers have the right to tell him to kick rocks. Which they should.

And in regards to what other #3's contracts have looked like, they weren't in San Diego. If you work at Target and your boss comes over and tells you to do X, and you say "But they don't do that at Kohls!" theyd slap the taste out your mouth (or at least they should)
So Bosa should accept worse Financial Security as the 3rd pick than picks 4 through 24 just because he plays for the Chargers?
This one is on the Chargers

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn