Week 7 of the Arizona Cardinals off season. 02/19/24-02/25/24

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You know I love the kool-aid Chief, but based on our strong finish in 2023, I think we're going to win a bunch of games in 2024!

I won't make an official prediction until after FA and the draft, but I have faith the new leadership group will improve and coach up the 2024 roster enough so that we will be very competitive this year!
I’m very excited for the upcoming season!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be ready for a very disappointing FA period.
If we get 2 starter quality players, I won't be disappointed. Maybe my expectations aren't realistic.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we get 2 starter quality players, I won't be disappointed. Maybe my expectations aren't realistic.
Starter quality Starter Quality or Starter Quality as in better than the Amazon drivers who played on the defense last year?

Is Amazon driver offensive?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
based on our strong finish in 2023

Just a quick fact check that we finished 2023 3-5 and with a home loss to a coach that was subsequently fired. We also lost to the Bears who are very likely to replace their starting quarterback in the offseason.

They're not unrealistic but they're exceptionally low, depending on what your definition of "starter-quality" is. Would they start on at least half of the teams in the NFL, or would they start for the Arizona Cardinals?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a quick fact check that we finished 2023 3-5 and with a home loss to a coach that was subsequently fired. We also lost to the Bears who are very likely to replace their starting quarterback in the offseason.

They're not unrealistic but they're exceptionally low, depending on what your definition of "starter-quality" is. Would they start on at least half of the teams in the NFL, or would they start for the Arizona Cardinals?
I know you saw who was playing on defense those last eight games. 3-5 is STRONG.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I know you saw who was playing on defense those last eight games. 3-5 is STRONG.
I guess. Two of those wins were against teams that unexpectedly dropped in their backup quarterback due to injury and one against a team that could not wait to quit.

We'll see.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess. Two of those wins were against teams that unexpectedly dropped in their backup quarterback due to injury and one against a team that could not wait to quit.

We'll see.
So what? Do the wins against John Dobbs and Clayton Tune not count?!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So what? Do the wins against John Dobbs and Clayton Tune not count?!

Cleveland will happily take the "W" against Clayton Tune, obviously. All the games count the same in the ultimate standings (where many here placed the highest priority on losing as many games as possible -- but be respectful). But I don't think that Washington or the Giants felt super-great scratching out wins against Josh Dobbs.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cleveland will happily take the "W" against Clayton Tune, obviously. All the games count the same in the ultimate standings (where many here placed the highest priority on losing as many games as possible -- but be respectful). But I don't think that Washington or the Giants felt super-great scratching out wins against Josh Dobbs.
Have you met a Giants' fan? Oof.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starter quality Starter Quality or Starter Quality as in better than the Amazon drivers who played on the defense last year?

Is Amazon driver offensive?
I'd take 1 starter that would start on this Cards team, and one that would start on over half of the teams in the NFL.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may have to run and duck for cover, but in this scenario, I may make a final run at bringing Justin Pugh back for a year, to then see what the Cards want to, or can do at guard in 2025 with a younger player they have developed or a draft pick.

We was one of the worst rated linemen in the league at a 41.6 rating. He gave up the most sacks at Gaurd in the league while playing in only 12 games. He was at least durable once the Giants signed him.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Realistic expectations to me means we won't compete in 2024. Monti left the cupboard too bare to only add a piece or two in FA and rely fully on the draft to get us where we need to go this year. We need to add significantly to the roster in FA.

The same people who think we can't attract good FAs now seem to think we could last year with a broken QB.

Marry these two competing ideas for me.

Or is the idea that we won't because Monti has some ideological opposition to good players?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The same people who think we can't attract good FAs now seem to think we could last year with a broken QB.

Or is the idea that we won't because Monti has some ideological opposition to good players?
I believe Monti considers making a mistake in Free Agency is costly especially on an overpay.

Draft picks are low cost mistakes if you don’t hit.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe Monti considers making a mistake in Free Agency is costly especially on an overpay.

Draft picks are low cost mistakes if you don’t hit.

Well yeah he's right. Teams should be built through the draft and supplemented by FA.

At least it's unlikely Monti will do any Jordan Philips type deals, but that doesn't mean he won't sign proven players.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Who do you think these people are, because there's nothing in the post you quoted that says this. It sure sounds like Monti is the one saying he's going to be conservative in free agency and look for playmakers exclusively through the draft.

Well, we didn't get any playmakers in last year's draft; it sounds like we're not going to bid on established playmakers in free agency. That's the argument.

I'm willing to wait and see, but there were a lot of people being like "Well we'll just sign Brian Burns in free agency and y'all'll shut up" in the past few weeks and months and it doesn't sound like that's going to happen.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who do you think these people are, because there's nothing in the post you quoted that says this. It sure sounds like Monti is the one saying he's going to be conservative in free agency and look for playmakers exclusively through the draft.

Well, we didn't get any playmakers in last year's draft; it sounds like we're not going to bid on established playmakers in free agency. That's the argument.

I'm willing to wait and see, but there were a lot of people being like "Well we'll just sign Brian Burns in free agency and y'all'll shut up" in the past few weeks and months and it doesn't sound like that's going to happen.
You can still shut up.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I thought White was a playmaker for us, no?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison