SF 49ers @ Arizona Cardinals Pregame Thread. 12/10/23-12/16/23

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This game comes down to whether Kyler decides to run or not. At least in terms of it being worth watching.

Rams game he just refused for the most part and it was just ugly. I want to charge that up to him just being shook of Aaron Donald. Just never seems to run against them since the playoff game.

Historically, Kyler runs very well against the 49ers. He's gotta do it though in order to extend drives and keep that 49ers offense on the sideline.

If he's got 1 or 2 carries vs the 49ers its probably a really bad loss.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
This game comes down to whether Kyler decides to run or not. At least in terms of it being worth watching.

Rams game he just refused for the most part and it was just ugly. I want to charge that up to him just being shook of Aaron Donald. Just never seems to run against them since the playoff game.

Historically, Kyler runs very well against the 49ers. He's gotta do it though in order to extend drives and keep that 49ers offense on the sideline.

If he's got 1 or 2 carries vs the 49ers its probably a really bad loss.
Kyler may have been instructed to stay behind the los and make plays with his reads and arm - either that he's trying to prove he can

The pedestrian numbers suggest he's taking what the defense gives him before the defense gets to him - he's using his legs but he's using them to get the passes off

The numbers would also be better had he landed on the four or five deep bombs

But all and all I've changed my tune from "we already know what he can do" to "okay this is new"

I think he can do it - sure would help if he had a better supporting cast but then again a better supporting cast might not be so beneficial as far as evaluations go - maybe Monti wanted to see Kyler in tough and dire situations before making any tough quarter billion dollar decisions

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is our Super Bowl, plan and simple. We have to deal with these clowns for the next 3-5 years and need to put on a good showing at the absolute least. Never happy with an L, but I will be proud/happy with a strong effort. I'm soooo tired of the Niners.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Maxx was playing at Pro Bowl level as well....
Just incredible blocking in 2021. That was first domino of the season going not like we hoped when the 49ers shattered his knee.
5 games with 16 catches I guess is good for Cards, but that's hardly PB worthy, IMO.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Kyler may have been instructed to stay behind the los and make plays with his reads and arm - either that he's trying to prove he can

The pedestrian numbers suggest he's taking what the defense gives him before the defense gets to him - he's using his legs but he's using them to get the passes off

The numbers would also be better had he landed on the four or five deep bombs

But all and all I've changed my tune from "we already know what he can do" to "okay this is new"

I think he can do it - sure would help if he had a better supporting cast but then again a better supporting cast might not be so beneficial as far as evaluations go - maybe Monti wanted to see Kyler in tough and dire situations before making any tough quarter billion dollar decisions
I think Gannon and Kyler both have been transparent when talking about footwork and bad habits of the past.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Maxx was playing at Pro Bowl level as well....
Just incredible blocking in 2021. That was first domino of the season going not like we hoped when the 49ers shattered his knee.

1000%. The Maxxdozer injury was a sneaky reason why 2021 fell apart. Ertz was brought into replace but he wasn't nearly the blocker that Maxx was, and so we were tipping plays with our TE personnel.

49ers are kind of dirty under Shanhan. The cheap shots get on my nerves, and there were a few in the first game this year too.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I want that pick but playing well (or winning) in this game would do a lot to validate the staff and FO. Especially for Kyler.
Don't worry. Even if we get boat-raced again we'll hear tons of excuses that it's fine because we were within one score in the first quarter.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't worry. Even if we get boat-raced again we'll hear tons of excuses that it's fine because we were within one score in the first quarter.
You’re clearly referencing the first Niners game and bashing fans, intimating posters were happy with the team’s peformance because the Cards kept it to one score in the first quarter when reality was people were happy with the effort because we were within one score in the FOURTH quarter.

There’s a gulf of difference and you know it otherwise you wouldn’t have completely fabricated the narrative to suit your own purposes, which seems to only be to start some kind of flame war. Incredibly lame.