Budda Baker getting paid

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Do you think for one moment that this contract was proferred in a vacuum without consideration given to other wants and needs?
Based on how much they paid him, yes, I do. it’s just my opinion that I don’t think he’s much better than an average safety at this point. And $15M per year is wasted money on a safety.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
do you want the best cornerback on our team to be a rookie? There’s a long list of 1st round CB’s that have flamed out.
Thank you. I've been saying this for a while. Not to mention Alford probably needs to be replaced too. Peterson may have declined some, but I'd rather pay him and keep him than rely on a rookie 1st rounder and god knows what at #2 in what should be Kyler's prime year to contend for a championship.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
do you want the best cornerback on our team to be a rookie? There’s a long list of 1st round CB’s that have flamed out.
Um, if they’re billed as being as a great prospect, yea? There’s also a long list of 1st round CBs that have had a great careers.

I’d rather all that money went to Budda instead of it going to a washed up player.

Rookie replacement or not, the fact that people still want to sign a washed up CB to an extension is extremely alarming.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We paid Calias Campbell 11 mil per year for 5 years when he had generated 21 sacks over the first four years of his career. Campbell never once had a double digit sack season during that 55 mil contract. However, none would say it was a bad deal.

Sometimes you just bet on the person more than their stats.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Um, if they’re billed as being as a great prospect, yea? There’s also a long list of 1st round CBs that have had a great careers.

I’d rather all that money went to Budda instead of it going to a washed up player.

Rookie replacement or not, the fact that people still want to sign a washed up CB to an extension is extremely alarming.
and I want both. :)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I want to see his first 6 games this year before I call him washed up. Toward the end of the year last year he started to look elite again. We'll see.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want to see his first 6 games this year before I call him washed up. Toward the end of the year last year he started to look elite again. We'll see.
Well yea, look at who he was covering.

I give him credit for Odell, but everyone else, meh.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Either way. The circumstances of the year clearly impacted him and after a few games, he improved significantly. Talent matters but so does NFL conditioning. If he can lock down top guys and keep the respect of the other team and CB, I would loive to have him continue that for a few more years vs letting him walk and hoping the next guy can do better, stay healthy and more.

Star WRs will have good games. I do not expect him to make the top WRs in the nfl look like backups but if he can hang, that is needed.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I'll be honest. I'd much rather pay Budda $14.75m than pay Hump $15m.

Budda is a baller, and for me, there's not much difference between Hump and Kelvin Beechum in talent, only age. And we are paying Beechum vet min.

We could have rolled into this year with Beechum at LT and Josh Jones at backup and have Jones take over next year.
Humphries also plays one of the most important positions on the field, second or third depending on if you value pass rushers over blindside blockers; and while in the grand scheme of things, he's not better at LT than Budda is at safety, his value comes with being solid at his position.

It would be considerably harder to replace Humphries as a LT than it would be to replace Budda.

Both are undoubtedly overpaid, however. As @kerouac9 and I have said, much of the motivation to overpay for our own draft picks could be pinned on Keim wanting to dispel the notion that he's not good at evaluating rookies.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Odell still had 70 yards that game. P2 made some nice plays but not like he closed him down {and whole Brown's O was trash)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Humphries also plays one of the most important positions on the field, second or third depending on if you value pass rushers over blindside blockers; and while in the grand scheme of things, he's not better at LT than Budda is at safety, his value comes with being solid at his position.

It would be considerably harder to replace Humphries as a LT than it would be to replace Budda.

Both are undoubtedly overpaid, however. As @kerouac9 and I have said, much of the motivation to overpay for our own draft picks could be pinned on Keim wanting to dispel the notion that he's not good at evaluating rookies.

We've been replacing Hump for years. It hasn't been that hard.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Odell still had 70 yards that game. P2 made some nice plays but not like he closed him down {and whole Brown's O was trash)

not to mention Odell was trash all year last year.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Go rewatch the game. He got most of those yards against non-Peterson DBs or when we were up by a thousand late in the 4th. ODell didn’t do anything against Peterson. I’ll commend Peterson for that.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is how NFL contracts work.

As Budda was on the last year of his contract, you have to either accept that you will base contract on your franchise tag on him or risk losing him in free agency.

The franchise tag would have been 13.64 million this year and 16.37 million next year or 30 million guaranteed over 2 years. This is before anyone else signs an extension and raises those figures.

Now the Cardinals have a happy defensive player on the rise and the franchise tag available next year if Peterson has a great year.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Hot take:

Cardinals are paying Budda Baker a premium above his skill set to drive up the safety market so Jamal Adams cannot settle for anything less than 125%+ of what Budda Baker will make, thus putting Seattle in a a bind.

If that is true, that would be truly asinine.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, good but not great player who put up big tackle #'s on bad defenses, but can't cover anyone? What am I missing...the durability and "leadership" qualities they both have?

Ronald McKinnon was a one dimensional MLB who made a bunch of tackles after the ball carrier was well past the LOS.

Budda Baker is a versatile DB who can play every position in the defensive backfield. Baker is also regularly in the offensive backfield disrupting plays and making tackles for a loss. Huge difference!

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Led the NFL in defeats for DBs, more than Jamal Adams.

Baker is blamed so much on this board that he is UNDERRATED by our fans. Pro Bowler. Voted to the NFLs 100 team. And as Chopper stated, now is the time to overpay because when Murray gets $40m per, the Cardinals are going to be in a much tougher position.

You must be registered for see images attach
He also has stayed healthy. And is a heck of a person

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson