Budda Baker getting paid

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Budda baker but is far from being the top safety in the league
We overpaid our 2 starters this year, but I don't blame keim, we need continuity, and keeping our best players

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Seriously, of all the contract situations that need to be addressed, you pay this guy more than anyone has ever been paid at the position? Laughable.
typically starting players on their first big contract get "the most paid ever". inflation. simple economics.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Ok, good but not great player who put up big tackle #'s on bad defenses, but can't cover anyone? What am I missing...the durability and "leadership" qualities they both have?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
typically starting players on their first big contract get "the most paid ever". inflation. simple economics.

Huh? You're saying every 2nd extension automatically makes the player the highest paid at his position? Not sure that's how it works.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, good but not great player who put up big tackle #'s on bad defenses, but can't cover anyone? What am I missing...the durability and "leadership" qualities they both have?

I see Budda as more than an adequate role player. I saw mckinnon as an adequate role player.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? You're saying every 2nd extension automatically makes the player the highest paid at his position? Not sure that's how it works.

Typically, starters on your team, going into their second contract with your team, get what at the time is considered a mega contract, yes. Then, a few years later, it looks like a bargain. Mathieu was similar but it didnt look like a brgain anymore. peterson was similar. DJ was similar. So on and so forth. The "highest paid in history!" is stated multiple times every single year over as players sign extensions.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I see Budda as more than an adequate role player. I saw mckinnon as an adequate role player.

Fair enough - I bet you'd feel uncomfortable paying either the highest amount of any player at the position, right?

Budda is fine, but overpaying him when the Cards have real pro bowlers with contract issues to resolve doesn't make much sense to me.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

adequate role players should be the highest paid at their position? And you seriously think he’s adequate when in coverage?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough - I bet you'd feel uncomfortable paying either the highest amount of any player at the position, right?

Budda is fine, but overpaying him when the Cards have real pro bowlers with contract issues to resolve doesn't make much sense to me.
Do you let him walk if other teams are willing to "overpay" him and just hope you can get a similar player in the draft? I'm not really worried about his pay. He is a legit and solid, dependable starter for our team. I would rather keep him long term than be cheap, lost him and have to spend more draft capital hoping to get someone who can be an adequate replacement.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
adequate role players should be the highest paid at their position? And you seriously think he’s adequate when in coverage?

I think he is a good player and a good fit on our team. I think he is worth keeping and really dont care about the "highest paid in history" label as that could no longer be a fact by the time the season starts and it definitely will not be once next offseason is underway.,

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m all ears for who you want to replace him with next year and how much it will cost for that person. it’s pretty clear that Robert Alford is not the answer.

We can still afford peterson regardless of Budda.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m all ears for who you want to replace him with next year and how much it will cost for that person. it’s pretty clear that Robert Alford is not the answer.
Our rookie 1st rounder.

Not sure how folks are saying Budda is the most overrated on the team on purpose when Patrick Peterson is right there & has been for the past 2 years.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This is a gamble. TJ is right about the timing with next year’s cap being a concern. At some point a GM has to look at his young players and decide which ones are part of the future. Too often last season Baker was asked to cover huge tight ends which impacted his play making potential. I think SK looked at his potential and decided he had a very high upside if better focused. I posted earlier the increased importance of a solid secondary. PP is aging and the rest of the secondary is unproven. You have to anchor the unit with someone, Baker was the most logical choice. They may have slightly overpaid but he’s young. He can play diverse systems. He has significantly improved his game in his time at AZ. I think it’s a reasonable decision.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Do you let him walk if other teams are willing to "overpay" him and just hope you can get a similar player in the draft? I'm not really worried about his pay. He is a legit and solid, dependable starter for our team. I would rather keep him long term than be cheap, lost him and have to spend more draft capital hoping to get someone who can be an adequate replacement.

Why now? He's under contract this year - if he performs like a top safety, either tag him, or pay him then!

In a vacuum, I'd be happy for all of the players to get paid, but unfortunately there are consequences to overpaying good but not great players.

I get that he's solid and dependable, but you seem to ignore the fact that overpaying at a questionable position of investment will make it harder to keep other players, in much more important positions. I don't love paying a guy like Hump because of his checkered injury history, but LT is vital, and the risk makes some sense. I don't get it with Budda.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
We can still afford peterson regardless of Budda.
maybe, but CJ’s contract is coming up. And I’m sure Fitz will be pencilled in for his $11M again.
there’s only so much to go around and if we have a really good year this year that’s just gonna mean more players asking for more money. I just flat out don’t think Baker has earned that type of money and I don’t see him living up to that contract either.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Our rookie 1st rounder.

Not sure how folks are saying Budda is the most overrated on the team on purpose when Patrick Peterson is right there & has been for the past 2 years.

do you want the best cornerback on our team to be a rookie? There’s a long list of 1st round CB’s that have flamed out.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really? Safeties of Baker’s caliber can be found much more easily than an LT like DJ. if the left tackle doesn’t play well, that could end our season with an injury to K1. if the safety doesn’t play well, they could maybe give up a touchdown or a long pass or run. Left tackle is much more important position than Safety.

The main problem is that we allocated all this money to a position that is not that critical and a player who has not proven to be the game changer he is being paid to be. Instead, this money could go to Hopkins, Chandler Jones, Patrick Peterson, or a number of other proven pro bowl caliber players.

if we end up having to let one of those players walk because we gave up money to him, I think you’ll change your tune.

Do you think for one moment that this contract was proferred in a vacuum without consideration given to other wants and needs?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
sorry Chopper there is nothing he could bring to the negotiation table saying he deserves to be the highest paid safety in football. Literally nothing. Again you don’t pay a safety game changing money when your not a game changer. He’s a nice piece and plays hard sure. But he’s not even close to a playmaking game changer. Based on his level of play and INTS and completion % against him he will still be overpaid even when others pass him.
You can't afford to head into next with ANOTHER hole to fill with Murray on a rookie deal. This is what the world is when you have a QB on a rookie deal. You overpay players by 2 or 3 mil to ensure you are competing at the highest level. If this was 12.9 or 11.9 per year I struggle to see people freaking out. You eat that difference to ensure you have a loaded roster.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Landon Collins is making 14 mil per year.
Eddie Jackson is making 14.6 mil per year.
Kevin Byard is making 14.1 mil per year.

33yr old Devin McCourty is getting paid 11.5 mil per year.

This isn't as big of a stretch as many of you are making it out to be.