Bye Bye Budda

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying Budda is a great guy. Everyone likes Budda and the way he plays, his whole attitude and what he brings to the locker room etc etc. Top pro.

But...

Did anyone watch the game yesterday and think Budda stood out? Did you think he made an impact that was considerably higher than whatever bums we have had in there recently? Was the defense particularly better?

But most importantly do you think what he contributes is worth $18.5m next year? Because that's his cap hit. A trade would save us $14.6m. That's a lot of money that can go towards a position that will have much greater impact.

That's all of Courtland Sutton or Jerry Jeudy in a trade or most of Tee Higgins or Hollywood Brown or Mike Evans. It's 75% of a very good DT or Edge FA or trade target. It's most of a good cornerback. It's all and more of Saquon Barkley or Josh Jacobs.

This roster isn't in a position to be paying that kind of money to a safety. Especially one that isn't a ball hawk or turnover machine, just because he's a good guy to have around.

Last edited:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying Budda is a great guy. Everyone likes Budda and the way he plays, his whole attitude and what he brings to the locker room etc etc. Top pro.

But...

Did anyone watch the game yesterday and think Budda stood out? Did you think he made an impact that was considerably higher than whatever bums we have had in there recently? Was the defense particularly better?

But most importantly do you think what he contributes is worth $18.5m next year? Because that's his cap hit. A trade would save us $14.6m. That's a lot of money that can go towards a position that will have much greater impact.

That's all of Courtland Sutton or Jerry Jeudy in a trade or most of Tee Higgins or Hollywood Brown or Mike Evans. It's 75% of a very good DT or Edge FA or trade target. It's most of a good cornerback. It's all and more of Saquon Barkley or Josh Jacobs.

This roster isn't in a position to be paying that kind of money to a safety. Especially one that isn't a ball hawk or turnover machine, just because he's a good guy to have around.

You may have a point on the cost, but judging Budda after his first game following injury is a bit much.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Agreed on cost as well.

Budda is great but we have too much money tied up for Safeties and could use it better elsewhere.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
You have to trade Baker before end of month or you risk getting zero for him - see PP21.

I would trade Ertz as well but your not going to get much for him. Dude has the least RAC I can ever remember from a player.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You may have a point on the cost, but judging Budda after his first game following injury is a bit much.

I've made the exact same point before. I made it last year too.

The impact he has on the field is minimal when compared to his cap hit.

I don;t think he's played particularly well. His value used to be him coming from deep and hitting guys. He was great at run stopping and rushing the QB. When was the last play you remember him doing that?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Our defense was much better yesterday with Budda's return. First game back and he leads the team in tackles, and brings leadership to the DB's. You don't get better by losing your best players. Let the team figure out the money. I would trade Zach Ertz if a team comes calling. If we lose him in FA we might get a comp pick, although I'm not sure.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don't get better by losing your best players.

That's just not true. Some positions are inherently more valuable than others. Having top money tied up in a low value position is bad for anyone. For a rebuilding roster it's nuts.

We could easily get better by moving on from Budda. Even if it's only for a 3rd round pick. The $15m we save alone invested in an area of more value would be enough.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You have to trade Baker before end of month or you risk getting zero for him - see PP21.

I would trade Ertz as well but your not going to get much for him. Dude has the least RAC I can ever remember from a player.
I understand wanting to trade Ertz, but is McBride ready? The poor kid, who I like, and has considerable upside, gets a stinking back breaking holding penalty every game. And then you see him not being in there on the critical 3rd and 4 plays. Did people not see that yesterday? And you see the frustration on his face when the coaches called him back to the sideline. Did everyone see how pissed JG looked after his penalty erased a 15 yard play with Rondale? This offense under Dobbs cannot overcome those mistakes for the most part. Granted, we scored on that drive anyways, but that’s the only time we overcame a McBride penalty this season. That’s EXACTLY what JG refers to as a LOSING BEHAVIOR.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Wallace vs Budda

Again, love Budda but we will be paying 2 safeties 30M/year if we re-sign him.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

But...

I do understand your point, and I do agree that the safety position is not a valued position with this regime. But, in his return, this defense created 3 turnovers and held Seattle to 20 points on the road. It may not necessarily be because he came up and made jarring hits, or defended passes at critical junctures, but I do believe that he’s a teacher on that field with the young kids that are being forced to play in that secondary. There’s so much we don’t really know, but I’m sure that MOJG do, and we’ll have to wait and see how this plays out.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do understand your point, and I do agree that the safety position is not a valued position with this regime. But, in his return, this defense created 3 turnovers and held Seattle to 20 points on the road. It may not necessarily be because he came up and made jarring hits, or defended passes at critical junctures, but I do believe that he’s a teacher on that field with the young kids that are being forced to play in that secondary. There’s so much we don’t really know, but I’m sure that MOJG do, and we’ll have to wait and see how this plays out.

That's something Jalen should be stepping up and doing considering next year he will be the 12th highest paid safety in the league.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand wanting to trade Ertz, but is McBride ready? The poor kid, who I like, and has considerable upside, gets a stinking back breaking holding penalty every game. And then you see him not being in there on the critical 3rd and 4 plays. Did people not see that yesterday? And you see the frustration on his face when the coaches called him back to the sideline. Did everyone see how pissed JG looked after his penalty erased a 15 yard play with Rondale? This offense under Dobbs cannot overcome those mistakes for the most part. Granted, we scored on that drive anyways, but that’s the only time we overcame a McBride penalty this season. That’s EXACTLY what JG refers to as a LOSING BEHAVIOR.
Can we stand Ertz dropping easily catchable passes??

I’d rather have McBride take some lumps and learn the game better

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
And that's why nobody's buying

lol maybe if we packaged all 3 together??
I don't feel any urgency to dump any of them right now. They all probably have more entertainment value to us as fans than whatever they'd bring back in trade.

I think next season we'll get more value from an interior lineman to be named later than we would from any of them.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I don't feel any urgency to dump any of them right now. They all probably have more entertainment value to us as fans than whatever they'd bring back in trade.

I think next season we'll get more value from an interior lineman to be named later than we would from any of them.
Word, if we dumped them now we wouldn't get much

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Extending Budda to bring his cap number down creates a Fitz/Boldin challenge.

Jalen Thompson's contract is hard to get out of before his void year (2026). His salaries in 2024 ($8.3 million) and 2025 ($7.6 million) are what you'd want to give your top-paid safety. Can you pay Budda Baker 2x All-Pro the same or less than Jalen Thompson?

Probably not. So then you're trapped in pouring more money into a non-impact position to keep them both on the roster.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would trade for a CB who can start in the league if Budda is going to be traded.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can we stand Ertz dropping easily catchable passes??

I’d rather have McBride take some lumps and learn the game better
Has Ertz dropped passes? Yes he has. But, some of them were not in the category of easily catchable passes. Dobbs is all over the place, with passes consistently high, low, or behind his receivers. Dobbs had a low pass to McBride yesterday that killed a drive. It was an awful pass, but it was still catchable. But, by NO means was it McBride’s fault. Until McBride stops with the penalties every single game, it’ll be tough for Petzing and JG to trust him thoroughly enough. And even if the season is lost, JG is building a culture of winning behavior, so he can’t allow for the back breaking penalties at this early juncture in the rebuild.