Budda Baker getting paid

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hot take:

Cardinals are paying Budda Baker a premium above his skill set to drive up the safety market so Jamal Adams cannot settle for anything less than 125%+ of what Budda Baker will make, thus putting Seattle in a a bind.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's getting paid like he's Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed when he doesn't hold a candle to those guys. This is well above market value given his production. Nothing about Budda says he's on track to have a HoF career, so it's hard to justify this contract value.

Ok, what would you pay him?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow!

As far as the hand wringing...you either pay him or let him walk. People moan all day about us not keeping drafted talent and then moan about how much you have to pay to keep drafted talent.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll be honest. I'd much rather pay Budda $14.75m than pay Hump $15m.

Budda is a baller, and for me, there's not much difference between Hump and Kelvin Beechum in talent, only age. And we are paying Beechum vet min.

We could have rolled into this year with Beechum at LT and Josh Jones at backup and have Jones take over next year.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hot take:

Cardinals are paying Budda Baker a premium above his skill set to drive up the safety market so Jamal Adams cannot settle for anything less than 125%+ of what Budda Baker will make, thus putting Seattle in a a bind.

Playing the long game, I dig it

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's getting paid like he's Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed when he doesn't hold a candle to those guys. This is well above market value given his production. Nothing about Budda says he's on track to have a HoF career, so it's hard to justify this contract value.

If Troy and Ed were up for new deals in TODAY's market, they'd get more.

If Michael and Steve can justify this contract internally, there's very little more to say.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Budda is a baller, and for me, there's not much difference between Hump and Kelvin Beechum in talent, only age. And we are paying Beechum vet min.

We could have rolled into this year with Beechum at LT and Josh Jones at backup and have Jones take over next year.

When will the Hump hate subside?

It's done; move on.

Complain if he doesn't live up to the deal, if and when.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Led the NFL in defeats for DBs, more than Jamal Adams.

Baker is blamed so much on this board that he is UNDERRATED by our fans. Pro Bowler. Voted to the NFLs 100 team. And as Chopper stated, now is the time to overpay because when Murray gets $40m per, the Cardinals are going to be in a much tougher position.

Yes, but he was INVOLVED in more plays than anyone else, as well:

You must be registered for see images attach

9.0 yards per pass play allowed was 56th among NFL DBs. Oof. His 6.0 rushing yards allowed was 27th.

IMO, he got paid his market value; you probably would have paid more for him next year if he were actually a free agent. This is one last thing you have to worry about, especially if you can spread that guarantee over 6 years.

But Budda Baker is a complementary piece. If he's the third-best player on your defense, you likely have a pretty bad defense (like last season!). He could be the fifth-best player on a good defense (maybe).

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anthony Harris
Justin Simmons
Malik Hooker all FAs next year.

Mathieu
M Fitzpatrick
H Smith
Derwin James
Peppers
K Jackson
J Adams

all FAs the year after.

Two years and this looks like a discount.
I wouldn’t put Malik Hooker up with those other names. He’s what some of this board think Budda is.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe Budda's playmaking skills are on the other side of the ball:D
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This man brought up Hump in another topic that’s not related to him. I almost admire the hate you have for him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yes, but he was INVOLVED in more plays than anyone else, as well:

You must be registered for see images attach

9.0 yards per pass play allowed was 56th among NFL DBs. Oof. His 6.0 rushing yards allowed was 27th.

IMO, he got paid his market value; you probably would have paid more for him next year if he were actually a free agent. This is one last thing you have to worry about, especially if you can spread that guarantee over 6 years.

But Budda Baker is a complementary piece. If he's the third-best player on your defense, you likely have a pretty bad defense (like last season!). He could be the fifth-best player on a good defense (maybe).

I don't disagree.

Hopefully this year Jones, Hicks, Philips, Simmons, and Peterson are all better.

If Jalen keeps ascending, this will be a pretty good defense overall.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree.

Hopefully this year Jones, Hicks, Philips, Simmons, and Peterson are all better.

If Jalen keeps ascending, this will be a pretty good defense overall.

I don't think we should expect Jones or Hicks to be better. They are already playing at their peak level.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Seriously, of all the contract situations that need to be addressed, you pay this guy more than anyone has ever been paid at the position? Laughable.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously, of all the contract situations that need to be addressed, you pay this guy more than anyone has ever been paid at the position? Laughable.

I don’t get it. Buddha is easily the most overrated player on this team and now one of the most overpaid in the league.

he’s a good tackler and run defender but isn’t just average in coverage or even below average. He’s flat out AWFUL.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score

Really? Safeties of Baker’s caliber can be found much more easily than an LT like DJ. if the left tackle doesn’t play well, that could end our season with an injury to K1. if the safety doesn’t play well, they could maybe give up a touchdown or a long pass or run. Left tackle is much more important position than Safety.

The main problem is that we allocated all this money to a position that is not that critical and a player who has not proven to be the game changer he is being paid to be. Instead, this money could go to Hopkins, Chandler Jones, Patrick Peterson, or a number of other proven pro bowl caliber players.

if we end up having to let one of those players walk because we gave up money to him, I think you’ll change your tune.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The devil will be in the details. Cards control him for the next six years; Keim gets to boast he’s gotten another draft pick to sign a deal.

Lotta money to pay for a box safety who was 32nd in pass success rate last season.
This.

overpay.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Budda can do everything and with Simmons being able to man on man with elite TEs that will free him up more to make big plays.

Congrats Budda
Well, everything except pick off a pass. Even a single pass. Just interception. Over multiple seasons. Nope. Not one. So apparently this far he’s incapable of that at the NFL level.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haha he's rather have BEECHUM.

Did I say that? I said we could have rolled with Beechum for very little drop off in talent and Jones take over next year.

Would have saved 14m this year... And every year for the 3 years after.

Pretty sure we could put that money to good use elsewhere.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don’t get it. Buddha is easily the most overrated player on this team and now one of the most overpaid in the league.

he’s a good tackler and run defender but isn’t just average in coverage or even below average. He’s flat out AWFUL.

It's the equivalent of paying Ronald McKinnon.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm kinda ambivalent here. In 2021 did I want to be faced with a complete overhaul of our DBs? No. Do I feel like this is an overpay? Yes.

At the end of the day though, those saying this won't be the #1 safety contract for long are probably right. But 2-3 years down the line, when we're paying Kyler and DHop, this contract might be something we look at and go "damn, we could have 3 really solid players for what Budda is making."