Let’s Talk About Drake

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
l noticed a number of the threads had posters showing disdain for taking a running back even as late as round 3. I don’t share that opinion. First I realize there have been good running backs taken late or even signed as UDFAs. I’m a believer if there’s a player you have great confidence in then going early is not a sin. Turning to Drake, in 3 full years with the Dolphins his top season was 644 yards. He never was able to secure the feature back spot. It’s true he virtually matched his best number in half a season with the Cards. However, in 5 of his 8 games he didn’t run for 70 yards. His strength is that he hits the hole quickly which makes him a good fit for this offense. He isn’t the type of back who can typically burn clock in the fourth quarter or even dominate short yardage situations. Also keep in mind he wasn’t an award winner in college. As a senior he rushed for 408 yards. He did catch 29 passes for 276 yards. Derrick Henry was the feature back, rushing for 2219 yards. Drake was a third round NFL selection. You can fairly say he has plenty of tread, but it’s also not clear he can handle a heavy workload.

I like JK Dobbins. He’s a little like Emmitt Smith. He’s more of a power runner with outstanding durability. He plays through pain. He’s not as fast to the hole as I’d like, but he’s a good complimentary back. Should Drake be injured he’s capable of carrying a big workload and would also pair well with Edmonds. He’s better than either Drake or Edmonds at picking up blitzes. Finally there’s no certainty Drake is signed for next season.

My thinking is the Cards need to get a sure thing as the third back. They might get lucky and pick up a late cut but they are really in position to take the BPA at several positions. The Cards can’t afford to be thin at a skilled position, so taking a RB early is fine with me.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
l noticed a number of the threads had posters showing disdain for taking a running back even as late as round 3. I don’t share that opinion. First I realize there have been good running backs taken late or even signed as UDFAs. I’m a believer if there’s a player you have great confidence in then going early is not a sin. Turning to Drake, in 3 full years with the Dolphins his top season was 644 yards. He never was able to secure the feature back spot. It’s true he virtually matched his best number in half a season with the Cards. However, in 5 of his 8 games he didn’t run for 70 yards. His strength is that he hits the hole quickly which makes him a good fit for this offense. He isn’t the type of back who can typically burn clock in the fourth quarter or even dominate short yardage situations. Also keep in mind he wasn’t an award winner in college. As a senior he rushed for 408 yards. He did catch 29 passes for 276 yards. Derrick Henry was the feature back, rushing for 2219 yards. Drake was a third round NFL selection. You can fairly say he has plenty of tread, but it’s also not clear he can handle a heavy workload.

I like JK Dobbins. He’s a little like Emmitt Smith. He’s more of a power runner with outstanding durability. He plays through pain. He’s not as fast to the hole as I’d like, but he’s a good complimentary back. Should Drake be injured he’s capable of carrying a big workload and would also pair well with Edmonds. He’s better than either Drake or Edmonds at picking up blitzes. Finally there’s no certainty Drake is signed for next season.

My thinking is the Cards need to get a sure thing as the third back. They might get lucky and pick up a late cut but they are really in position to take the BPA at several positions. The Cards can’t afford to be thin at a skilled position, so taking a RB early is fine with me.
:cheers: I 100% agree.

Edit: Edited thanks to Guernsey.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

What about a guy like Darrynton Evans with one of the Cardinals 4th round picks? I know Evans isn't a Power Runner but man he looks like he would fit perfectly into KK offense. Go watch some of his highlights. The kid looks electrifying.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Evans is a fine player. I’d just prefer a complimentary or change-of-pace back. Moss has the style I like but he has fumbling and injury concerns that haven’t arisen with Dobbins. Moss would be okay, but Dobbins plays is best in big games. That’s hard to find.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Dobbins doesn’t do anything that excites you, but he is very well rounded and would be a great pick if he’s there in the third! Mark Ingram comes to mind when I watch him

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

We have 2 picks in the first three rounds. And only four in the first four rounds. Using one on the least important position on the entire field is foolish to me when they (at best) will be our #2 but more probably our #3 RB. I say again..... The least important position on the field.

If more comes out regarding some sort of rift between the team and Drake..... Maybe in the 4th or 5th round. But right now I have to believe that some sort of long term deal is in the works to reduce that 8mm cap figure he has.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not for me.

We have far too many holes to spend a high pick on a running back.

I'm happy with Edmonds as RB2 and can pick up a low round draft pick and a ST scrub for depth.

We can use a higher pick next year or its a loaded FA class at RB.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It all comes down to if an extension happens with Drake as to what our investment will be.

Right now in the NFL it seems like the sweet spots for value are receivers Round 2-3 and RB Round 4-6

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have 2 picks in the first three rounds. And only four in the first four rounds. Using one on the least important position on the entire field is foolish to me when they (at best) will be our #2 but more probably our #3 RB. I say again..... The least important position on the field.

If more comes out regarding some sort of rift between the team and Drake..... Maybe in the 4th or 5th round. But right now I have to believe that some sort of long term deal is in the works to reduce that 8mm cap figure he has.

They are not the least important position on the field. The RB hate has gotten insane. Nearly 50% of offensive plays are running the ball.

Tell me with a straight face Derek Henry was the least important player for the Titans last season.

I get that you can get a ton of guys who are about the same quality of player cheaply. That does not mean a good RB cannot outproduce most other good players at other positions in terms of wins created.

The best safety or guard in the world does not have half as much impact as a top 5 RB on wins or losses.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
They are not the least important position on the field. The RB hate has gotten insane. Nearly 50% of offensive plays are running the ball.

Tell me with a straight face Derek Henry was the least important player for the Titans last season.

I get that you can get a ton of guys who are about the same quality of player cheaply. That does not mean a good RB cannot outproduce most other good players at other positions in terms of wins created.

The best safety or guard in the world does not have half as much impact as a top 5 RB on wins or losses.
Man, I'm happy someone else said it so I didn't have to.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Dobbins doesn’t do anything that excites you, but he is very well rounded and would be a great pick if he’s there in the third! Mark Ingram comes to mind when I watch him
He’ll be gone by mid-second.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
2 teams ran the ball over 50%

7 teams ran the ball over 45%

14 teams ran the ball under 40% (including us)

Scheme matters as much as talent these days
That's gameflow more than it is scheme for most teams.

We can get a RB to go with the Drake and Edmonds. We have too many other needs to spend one of our top 4 picks on one.
What other needs are going to be filled in the 3rd or 4th rounds? It'd be awful to pass up on the next Kareem Hunt or Alvin Kamara for another young WR or something.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’ve said it before but if it were up to me I would draft the best RB fit available with one of our 4ths and then keep doing that every other year either in the 4th/5th. with that you don’t extend any of them ever and keep the rotation of hungry workhorses coming through the ranks

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Singletary was selected by the Bills 3rd round ( 74) and in my estimation was the best valued RB in last year's draft. If Cards trade down from #8 the pick up might be the place to draft a back 3/4/5

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If we draft a RB in any round other than 7, I'll puke.
Ridiculous. We held 4 (3 after trades) going into 2019 and now have two. You really want two UDFAs or 7th round picks manning up an offense that had six different RBs take carries last year?

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ridiculous. We held 4 (3 after trades) going into 2019 and now have two. You really want two UDFAs or 7th round picks manning up an offense that had six different RBs take carries last year?

If we draft some decent O-line for a change, we could possibly make UDFA's look good.

Every year there are serviceable FA RB's to be had... O-line/LB/DB? Not so much.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If we draft some decent O-line for a change, we could possibly make UDFA's look good.

Every year there are serviceable FA RB's to be had... O-line/LB/DB? Not so much.
Where we stand today, we probably won't upgrade the O-Line any more than it is right now, outside of the 1st. Maybe a C in the 3rd. But the fact of the matter is, we have a bunch of late round picks with a year or more of development under their belt from the 4th round and on, so I don't know why we'd draft another just to throw them into that pile.

The majority of picks outside of our first and third are going to be depth guys. I can't imagine being "sick" over taking an RB before the 7th.

And the only "serviceable RBs" to be had in FA are always guys with tons of tread on them. You really want any of these guys next year if Drake isn't the answer?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2021/all/running-back/

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Man, I'm happy someone else said it so I didn't have to.

please stop looking at the needle and start looking at the haystack. Henry is the outlier and should never be considered.

Of course AP in his prime..... Zeke in his prime...... Henry in his prime..... can make a difference.

You just can’t count on it.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
please stop looking at the needle and start looking at the haystack. Henry is the outlier and should never be considered.

Of course AP in his prime..... Zeke in his prime...... Henry in his prime..... can make a difference.

You just can’t count on it.
Dalvin Cook didn't make a difference this year? Christian McCaffery?

You're off your rocker on this one. Horrible take.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson