With the 8th pick in the NFL Draft......

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m starting to come around on Simmons.

Thing I’m worried about though is longevity. I can see him retiring within 7-8 years like Willis & Kuechly due to the grueling nature of ILB while Wirfs, Willis, Jeudy, & Lamb would play at a quality level for another 5 years.

Simmons won’t be there at 8.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think the top seven will have to include Burrow, Young Okudah, Simmons, Tua, and Herbert. We'll have our choice of Jeudy, Brown, or the best OT.

Wills, Wirfs, Thomas, or Becton will be the pick. They'll follow the traditional thinking that they need to 'protect the QB', and we have a big band aid round robin at RT. They'll re-sign Humphries.
Maybe we can grab Tyler Biadacz in round 2 and have a seriously killer OL. If we can sign a few FA's to fill some holes in the defense, this could be the year we boost our offense to the top tier and make it our team foundation. Fix the D next year.
I complain about this team so much, but I would just be so freaking amped if we actually put a great line together in front of Kyler. Those investments would be awesome.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
What to do at WR this offseason really confounds me. I'd like to get KM a better target, but adding another young guy to the room just doesn't appeal to me given how many 1st round receivers bust. I'd really like someone more proven.

Where we stand today, if I was forced to pick from these guys, I'd go with Lamb, given the familiarity with Kyler.

Does anyone know about Kyler and Lamb's relationship? Are they best buds? Just two guys benefiting from the same system? If KM and he are super close and driven to greatness together, I'd love to see Kyler stump for his guy and have the team go get him, even though I conceptually prefer improving our OL.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Does anyone know about Kyler and Lamb's relationship? Are they best buds? Just two guys benefiting from the same system? If KM and he are super close and driven to greatness together, I'd love to see Kyler stump for his guy and have the team go get him, even though I conceptually prefer improving our OL.

“Me and CeeDee have a great relationship,” Murray said, according to Bob McManaman of the Arizona Republic, while signing trading cards as a Panini America guest Thursday in Los Angeles. “That’s one of my boys. I would obviously be very fond of that pick. Obviously, I don’t make the choices.

"I’m here for whatever, but I’m looking forward to free agency and us adding some great players and adding more of them in the draft so we can continue to grow this thing.

“But yeah, if we pick CeeDee, that would be great. We have a very comfortable relationship. I’ve played with him, I’ve been with him for years, so yeah, I don’t think that would be a bad pick at all.”

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
“Me and CeeDee have a great relationship,” Murray said, according to Bob McManaman of the Arizona Republic, while signing trading cards as a Panini America guest Thursday in Los Angeles. “That’s one of my boys. I would obviously be very fond of that pick. Obviously, I don’t make the choices.

"I’m here for whatever, but I’m looking forward to free agency and us adding some great players and adding more of them in the draft so we can continue to grow this thing.

“But yeah, if we pick CeeDee, that would be great. We have a very comfortable relationship. I’ve played with him, I’ve been with him for years, so yeah, I don’t think that would be a bad pick at all.”
Cool, thanks for the article. I definitely didn't see it. That said, it's funny how the second quote is so much less of an endorsement than the first. I don't describe people I like a lot with "we have a comfortable relationship," haha.

Totally not an indictment of Kyler or their relationship, if anyone thinks I was going that way.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For me drafting a lineman in the top 10 (better be a LT) is like getting your house treated for termites. Nothing sexy about it but if you don't you'll be sorry.

Exactly this.

This is what's so frustrating about this draft season. For years the vast majority of Cards fans have been saying "If I had 50k I'd fix the pipework, fix the roof, fix the windows, fix the floor" (ie fix the O line) then they win 50k on a scratch card and blow it all on an Escalade.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
For me drafting a lineman in the top 10 (better be a LT) is like getting your house treated for termites. Nothing sexy about it but if you don't you'll be sorry.

yes

and -- watching the Conf Champ teams:

all four of them have top notch tackle combos. of the 8 OTs in the NFC / AFC champ games -- 6 of them were first round picks.

OTs also tend to have long careers -- so when you find a good one, you have that position covered for 10+ years.

i love Simmons, Jeudy, Lamb etc. -- but the idea of grabbing a top tier OT and knowing you likely have a starter for 10 years is comforting

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes

and -- watching the Conf Champ teams:

all four of them have top notch tackle combos. of the 8 OTs in the NFC / AFC champ games -- 6 of them were first round picks.

OTs also tend to have long careers -- so when you find a good one, you have that position covered for 10+ years.

i love Simmons, Jeudy, Lamb etc. -- but the idea of grabbing a top tier OT and knowing you likely have a starter for 10 years is comforting

If you get the right one.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s the thing. There are certain non qb players that you simply can’t pass on. Okudah, Simmon, Young and Brown. I think those 4 will be gone, but if one of them are there I don’t see how you can pass on them.

To me that leaves Juedy, Lamb and the best OT which I think is Wills. When you analyze our roster I would like to see us sign a Wr like Green and draft the OT. If Kugler and our scouts think Wills is a plug in and play left tackle then it’s a no brainer. Instead of Being held hostage by Humphries we could go after a right tackle in free agency. Drafting a wr in the second round will be a waste. We could even add another o-lineman with that pick. That’s why I would consider Green.

if we are building a roster for the future and sustainability I believe this is the way to go. Kyler threw for 3700 yards to this current group of receivers. One would think with the improved line, Green and one of the rookie Wr’s stepping up Kyler’s numbers would go up.

It’s hard to pass on the Escalade but we need to add a couple of four wheel drives to do the dirty work.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But that’s the thing. The offensive lineman this year are just kind of middle of the road.

there was a time when offensive line used to be the safest pick in the draft now it’s one of the biggest gambles. These LT don’t come in and dominate like they used to it takes them time to adjust now. I don’t really want rookies protecting my QB I’d rather buy my line with proven nfl guys

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Simmons won’t be there at 8.
Our only hope is that his positional importance is low on the priority list.

I see it being either Simmons, one of the OT's, Okudah or Kinlaw

Keim seems to go towards three positional groups. CB's, Pass Rushers, and OLineman when he's up this high. Would Simmons challenge that perception? Hopefully.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here’s the thing. There are certain non qb players that you simply can’t pass on. Okudah, Simmon, Young and Brown. I think those 4 will be gone, but if one of them are there I don’t see how you can pass on them.

To me that leaves Juedy, Lamb and the best OT which I think is Wills. When you analyze our roster I would like to see us sign a Wr like Green and draft the OT. If Kugler and our scouts think Wills is a plug in and play left tackle then it’s a no brainer. Instead of Being held hostage by Humphries we could go after a right tackle in free agency. Drafting a wr in the second round will be a waste. We could even add another o-lineman with that pick. That’s why I would consider Green.

if we are building a roster for the future and sustainability I believe this is the way to go. Kyler threw for 3700 yards to this current group of receivers. One would think with the improved line, Green and one of the rookie Wr’s stepping up Kyler’s numbers would go up.

It’s hard to pass on the Escalade but we need to add a couple of four wheel drives to do the dirty work.

don’t forget front 7 on the defense is also included in the dirty work group. Our offense was actually pretty good last year however our defense? About as bad as I’ve ever seen

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I wouldn't say any of those guys are more certain hits than Wills, Wirfs or Thomas except Young.

Brown isn't as good as Quinnen coming out. Possibly not even Ed Oliver. Simmons is a scheme fit question mark etc etc

This is one of the best tackle classes in a long time. I feel like some people are trying to find ways to hate on it for no reason other than they want that Escalade.

Kyler is awesome behind great O lines. Let's give him a great O line and not over think things.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't say any of those guys are more certain hits than Wills, Wirfs or Thomas except Young.

Brown isn't as good as Quinnen coming out. Possibly not even Ed Oliver. Simmons is a scheme fit question mark etc etc

This is one of the best tackle classes in a long time. I feel like some people are trying to find ways to hate on it for no reason other than they want that Escalade.

Kyler is awesome behind great O lines. Let's give him a great O line and not over think things.
Fa’sho believe Okudah is more of a hit than any of the OLinemen.