Suns @ Mavericks 1-9-18

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well...

If he hasn't been called overrated til now and he is one of our worst players in +/-

Isn't that overrated?
Overrated how? Sorry Chris, trying to understand.

People have said he’s underrated a few times because he doesn’t get calls and doesn’t get a lot of credit outside Phoenix for his shooting, which is VASTLY improved. But I don’t see many people overrating him. I still believe he is our best trade chip not named Booker or Ayton, but I don’t consider that overrating him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Jones talked about how he's had offers from Garnett, Duncan, Shaq, Robinson, Olajuwon, and more to work with Ayton this summer. He said that it's been virtually every Hall of Fame big has reached out about working with Ayton, which is promising. The kid has a ton of charisma and is super likable so it's not hard to see why some older bigs would want to work with him some. Hopefully he takes them up on it or allows the Suns to schedule him a summer of fun. That was at the open practice the other day, I can find a link if necessary but I read about it on Reddit by someone from the Timeline podcast doing some coverage of James Jones spiel there.
I love hearing that. Guess proof will be in the pudding . . . is he going to put in the time and take all of those guys up on their offers or is he going to play Fortnite?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Overrated how? Sorry Chris, trying to understand.

People have said he’s underrated a few times because he doesn’t get calls and doesn’t get a lot of credit outside Phoenix for his shooting, which is VASTLY improved. But I don’t see many people overrating him. I still believe he is our best trade chip not named Booker or Ayton, but I don’t consider that overrating him.

In my opinion, his contributions are very limited to scoring

That is just my opinion though. My bias is clear here and I am not going to just assume my bias is correct

We agree he is our most effective trade chip because he would thrive in the right setting

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
What a goofy box score. Five players scored in double figures - three of them off the bench. Every game an experiment half-way into the season.

And, of course, one player fouled out and four more had five fouls. Five players having to hold back on defense.

Our starting Center was our fourth top rebounder. Rebounds by committee and assists by committee. The bench had just four less assists than the starters.

Sometimes stats don't reflect what really went on in the game. These stats do. The biggest thing the Suns have to start the game is to hope they'll be lucky.

Holmes was in third in scoring, second in rebounds and in second in assists off the bench. Give him the game ball. Too bad it is deflated.

You must be registered for see images attach

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That is just my opinion though. My bias is clear here and I am not going to just assume my bias is correct

We agree he is our most effective trade chip because he would thrive in the right setting

Also I am irritated about the loss so I am prone to hyperbole right now.

Can you all see one of my resolutions was to be nicer and more self reflective on social media :)

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score

i agree with this. I am impressed that he improved his three point shot and he is a gifted scorer. He may be the 2nd or 3rd best player on the roster but his stat lines of 20 points, 2 rebounds and zeroes at everything else don't bring much help to the team. I kind of hope they can trade him for a 4 or a 1.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Kokoskov about to land his first fine.

I love it though. Sticking up for his players will be well worth it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Kokoskov about to land his first fine.

I love it though. Sticking up for his players will be well worth it.

Hmm. I thought he was pretty discreet about it. We shall see.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
F the refs for giving superstar treatment to a flailing kid.

What is Holmes supposed to do when Donkic jumps into him with his legs first and cries like a baby, is Holmes supposed to disappear into thin air? That Luca kid just throws his arms around and stumbles and fouls are called on random Suns. The league needs to clean this manure up.

:pullhair::barf:

Instead of fining coaches who complain after a badly called game, they can get their big heads out of their big fat bodies and evaluate these games. Why are the coaches complaining? Oh yeah, because of a huge deficit in calls. Let's take a look at these calls. Oh, the referees are babying the other team/or specific players. Why is this? It is not fair. Is this to appease the home crowd or fans of the "super" star/s? Or is it just bull****?

:computer:

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
F the refs for giving superstar treatment to a flailing kid.

What is Holmes supposed to do when Donkic jumps into him with his legs first and cries like a baby, is Holmes supposed to disappear into thin air? That Luca kid just throws his arms around and stumbles and fouls are called on random Suns. The league needs to clean this manure up.

:pullhair::barf:

And he is not even a very good actor. Some of his flops are very contrived. He needs to hire Floppy as a tutor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
i agree with this. I am impressed that he improved his three point shot and he is a gifted scorer. He may be the 2nd or 3rd best player on the roster but his stat lines of 20 points, 2 rebounds and zeroes at everything else don't bring much help to the team. I kind of hope they can trade him for a 4 or a 1.

There's no secret we have an abundance of wings, and that yeah, why not, it's a wing's game these days, but out of Jackson, Bridges, Oubre and Warren I think maybe the other guys bring more on the defensive end, and they can or should be able to average 15-20 ppg, and we really could use an upgrade at PG or PF.

Melton and Okobo are promising though. I am impressed with their rookie campaigns but then again, I'm accustomed to watching Bender, Chriss & company, and the run of early teens draft picks of can't run, can't shoot, can't defend point guards our scouts/front office/coaches have picked.

You must be registered for see images attach

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Hey, that's the Euro way. I think it's literally the first thing they are taught on the first day of training camp over there. Of course, most of them grew up playing soccer, so they already know the drill by heart.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jones talked about how he's had offers from Garnett, Duncan, Shaq, Robinson, Olajuwon, and more to work with Ayton this summer. He said that it's been virtually every Hall of Fame big has reached out about working with Ayton, which is promising. The kid has a ton of charisma and is super likable so it's not hard to see why some older bigs would want to work with him some. Hopefully he takes them up on it or allows the Suns to schedule him a summer of fun. That was at the open practice the other day, I can find a link if necessary but I read about it on Reddit by someone from the Timeline podcast doing some coverage of James Jones spiel there.

I hope so too. I’d love it if he drilled with some of these guys in the post. They won’t take it easy on him. He has the skills and athleticism, but they can teach him the head game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope so too. I’d love it if he drilled with some of these guys in the post. They won’t take it easy on him. He has the skills and athleticism, but they can teach him the head game.

As a rookie, this is where Doncic is far ahead of him. He has a very nuanced game having played against older players for years.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agreed. Doncic does not seem like a rookie; Ayton does. But I’m honestly not worried about comparing Ayton to Doncic. I thought Doncic was going to be good—maybe just because the cynical fan in me figured it would happen if we didn’t draft him—but I’m more interested in Ayton’s development in isolation.

A number of second-year players have regressed from great rookie campaigns, including Mitchell and Tatum. I’m not saying this to imply that Doncic will regress (again, cynical fan here assumes he won’t), but that probably none of these guys are the players they will be yet.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
As a rookie, this is where Doncic is far ahead of him. He has a very nuanced game having played against older players for years.

Yep! He spent his entire life playing against older competition. The biggest difference, however, is that he is just flat out nasty. He doesn't care who you are, he'll score on you in a variety of ways. Hell he dunked on the entire Minnesota front court last night with the game on the line, and then drained a step-back three to seal the win. He'll hit the last second shot like it was a layup. He flat out blocked Lebron. He made a defensive play, looked at Igor and said, "He can't score on me!". He just doesn't give a crap about who he is playing against, what the on court situation is, who he is up against, etc. He just wants to beat everyone and be the best. THAT is the part that I fear Ayton will never have. He will get better, no doubt, but I don't think he will ever be a "nasty" player.