Isaiah Thomas To Suns

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Huh? Just because the Suns choose to play a player at SG doesn't make him a natural SG. I admit that Dragic might have the ability but that doesn't make him any less a PG. So why not call him that? Heck Indiana was trying to get him to shore up their PG position. Playing Amare at Center most that one season didn't make him any less a PF either or when the Suns have employed the two PG on the court strategy before.

If the Suns had a pure SG, Bledsoe and Dragic under contract do you seriously think we would have traded for Thomas? I am not so sure. More than likely Dragic would primarily back up the PG position while spending some time at SG giving whomever that would be a break. This feels like a very gimmicky and conciliatory move. Well.....we gave it the old college try and came up empty. Let's make this another fun season to keep butts in the seats until we can make another move.

What a monumental disappointing free agency period so far. It's not over until it's over though and maybe we have more moves up out sleeve. That doesn't mean I don't like Thomas or that I think it was a bad contract. Only that the motives here are probably more about run and gun fun and stock piling assets versus this really the Suns wanting three PG's with one playing out of position on the roster.
Even Hornacek calls Dragic a PG.

Apparently slin knows more than the HC?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
And often be exploited right back...and once again be unable to counter if the 20 foot jumpers don't fall. No thanks.

I'm done with the high effort uphill scoring, scrappy volleyball tip drill rebounding thing.
Small lineup doesn't automatically equate to taking 20 foot jumpers. Do you honestly think this team would be settling for 20 footers with Thomas, Dragic and Bledsoe all on the floor at the same time? I doubt it because all 3 of them like attacking the rim and are all good at it as well.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Interesting, Drexler said on camera last night that per advanced stats IT is one of the worst defenders in the league but he didn't name which advanced stat.
He may be below average in advanced stats, but he is not "one of the worst in the league".

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Either watch old tapes or wait until the season starts to find out. Everything else is speculation.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Found this on realgm, pretty funny

You must be registered for see images attach

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He was reacting to my post, or part of it anyway.

Sci Fi said:
Yes, San Antonio had a difficult time winning the title last year with small ball. But they did it!!!!!!!
BC867 said:
Luckily for them, they were playing a team with Chris Bosh as its "big".

I'd rather put a balanced team on the court than hope for an opponent equally unbalanced.

The Suns have depended on such luck for four and a half decades and have come up short.

Even Michael's Bulls always had 2 or 3 role playing Centers.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Small lineup doesn't automatically equate to taking 20 foot jumpers. Do you honestly think this team would be settling for 20 footers with Thomas, Dragic and Bledsoe all on the floor at the same time? I doubt it because all 3 of them like attacking the rim and are all good at it as well.

Do you honestly think putting 3 PG on the court on the same time means all the sudden we get to the rim more? If it was that easy to get around big men clogging the lane...everyone would play 3 PGs. Show me a team that plays 3 PGs much and I will show you a team that gets dominated on both ends of the floor in the paint.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you honestly think putting 3 PG on the court on the same time means all the sudden we get to the rim more? If it was that easy to get around big men clogging the lane...everyone would play 3 PGs. Show me a team that plays 3 PGs much and I will show you a team that gets dominated on both ends of the floor in the paint.

I think it's clear we need another guard, one that is a great three point shooter. A starting lineup of Thomas, Bledsoe, Dragic, Green and Steve Nash looks to be our best bet. We might be a little weak defensively, especially down low, but I think we'll be able to spread the court and penetrate from multiple spots. If our threes are dropping we're sure to set a few records. I'm getting excited about this lineup just typing this message.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's clear we need another guard, one that is a great three point shooter. A starting lineup of Thomas, Bledsoe, Dragic, Green and Steve Nash looks to be our best bet. We might be a little weak defensively, especially down low, but I think we'll be able to spread the court and penetrate from multiple spots. If our threes are dropping we're sure to set a few records. I'm getting excited about this lineup just typing this message.

Steve

I'd love to add another PG. :)

More seriously, wouldn't Nash's contract hold salary space as he has an expiring contract.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to add another PG. :)

More seriously, wouldn't Nash's contract hold salary space as he has an expiring contract.

I think so. Seriously though, isn't there a little part of you that wouldn't mind watching that team play? Especially if we could get a certain collection of board members to post selfies as they watched it?

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think so. Seriously though, isn't there a little part of you that wouldn't mind watching that team play? Especially if we could get a certain collection of board members to post selfies as they watched it?

Steve

It would be great to see the look on the other team's face.

I think this is what BC867 has been waiting for. :)

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think this kind of interesting.

The Kings were the the most selfish team in the league statistically (fewest assists).

Their starting PG = Isaiah Thomas

The Suns were the the 2nd most selfish team in the league statistically (2nd fewest assists).

Only team in the NBA to have a dual PG lineup = Dragic & Bledsoe

Now we add that same Thomas which led the Kings to the least assists in the NBA to a team that was already among the league worst in assists.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

No doubt they could drop some shots but we will get killed on the boards, rarely see second chance shots and be unable to stop teams from getting theirs.....just wait.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Great move getting Thomas. He is nearly impossible to guard and could come off the bench and be lights out vs. the opposing bench. Yea he's tiny and has no D but he is a gifted scorer.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great move getting Thomas. He is nearly impossible to guard and could come off the bench and be lights out vs. the opposing bench. Yea he's tiny and has no D but he is a gifted scorer.

Take out Goran and Bledsoe, put in Thomas and Archie (or Gerald Green). That has to be a frightening proposition for the opposition. If I was playing us, I would just pack the middle and make everyone shoot from the outside.

If Green or Goran get hot, it would be a long night for opposing teams. If they just put a rim protector or two in the middle and then try to guard the perimeter, it might stop Bled or Thomas from driving, but TJ would have a field day midrange.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
People are looking at this all wrong. He is a supped up version of Ish Smith (as in he can actually shoot). And on a reasonable contract for a 6th man nonetheless.

I do think another shoe is going to drop. And based on my research if CLE holds on to Wiggins one of Dragic or Bledsoe is going to Minny. This is the contingency plan for that.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Having IT along with Goran and Eric will mean more small ball - by our opponents - which will cause Jeff to counter with small ball and why not since they're playing the game we want. I wouldn't expect to see all three PGs on the floor together very often - because we want to keep them fresh, keep the fast break perking. Against a team going small I'd expect to see lineups like G&E, Green/Goodwin/Warren, Tucker/Marcus, Plumlee/Markieff. Or IT, Green/Goodwin, Green/Goodwin/Warren, Tucker/Marcus, Plumlee/Marlieff. All of those lineups can rebound fairly well and have 4 or 5 guys that run the floor. IRTBS if Ennis can work his way off the pine and onto the hardwood.

I still think we need to bring in a conventional PF who can rebound and defend as that is what drives the fastbreak - and will convince our opponents to try going small.

I don't believe we should put another PG on the floor with Thomas... what he needs is guys that set good perimeter picks because without them he happily shoots contested shots. When he's on it doesn't matter contested or not but he isn't going to on all the time.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe we should put another PG on the floor with Thomas... what he needs is guys that set good perimeter picks because without them he happily shoots contested shots. When he's on it doesn't matter contested or not but he isn't going to on all the time.

Putting 2 PG's on the floor for any extended length of time is a mistake. I get the entire temporary boost thing and in stretches it can help but not a regular lineup or in the playoffs.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Steve

What, Steve, no :D:D:D:D:D ? Have another tequila.

Actually, this would be a great team . . . . . . . . in the YMCA League.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Putting 2 PG's on the floor for any extended length of time is a mistake. I get the entire temporary boost thing and in stretches it can help but not a regular lineup or in the playoffs.

Tell that to the other Isiah Thomas and Joe Dumars. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What, Steve, no :D:D:D:D:D ? Have another tequila.

Actually, this would be a great team . . . . . . . . in the YMCA League.

Yeah, it probably makes more sense if we replace Green with Ish. That should take care of any defensive concerns.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn