Suns vs Spurs 12/25/08

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
No more excuses from the Suns, win games or watch the other teams play in the playoffs.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
mojorizen7;1903291t how many times the opposing team has hit a clutch 3 in our building. Not only clutch 3's but shooting period.[/quote said:
It's the law of averages and most teams will take it. 3pt shooting, on average, around the league is ... oh, I'm gonna guess around 40%. 2pt shots whether in the paint or just outside is ... oh, I'm gonna guess around 50%.

So would you take your chances guarding the higher percentage areas or lower areas? Unfortunately, the Suns usually end up getting burned. :mad:

Actually, in years past I think the Suns were more vulnerable in the paint until Shaq showed up. Now most teams try beating them with the jump shot.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/133138

"Stoudemire disagreed and felt Duncan was given a lot of leeway in the exchanges.

“There was a lot of contact,” he said.

“The officials know the foul situation in that instance. What we wanted to do was attack him and try to get him out. I drew contact, no foul called, but that’s the way the game is played … the officials really don’t want to take him out of the game. I didn’t get the calls."

quit crying and try making a big shot Amare. jesus, the above whining just turns my stomach. There's contact at the end of games? No way!

Nice way to take responsibility and be "the man" Amare.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AtZZUHuEu2PadoJapcgrG8q8vLYF?gid=2008122521&prov=ap

“We played good enough to win,” Stoudemire said. “Every time we play the Spurs some type of big shot ends up happening.”

this also just makes me shake my head. When you continually give up wide open shots at the end of games, the best teams are going to make you pay for them more often than not.

Amare makes it out like the Spurs just keep getting lucky over and over and over and over and over and over again. If you played good enough to win, YOU'D WIN.

comments like these, the above crying about the refs, and his comments about how we played good enough defense to win a game in which we gave up 124 points just scream out to me that Amare is just a mental midget.

I noticed that as well - he was WIDE OPEN from the start of the play.

Geez - talk about overreaction.

If Mason misses that shot we are talking about how dominant we are inside and how we cannot be stopped. The defensive effort (save the last play) was very good (what did they shoot 41%?) and we are manning up with them on the boards.

This was one game among many. Hadn't we won the last three agianst the Spurs in the RS? I am sure we will be fine.

Again - I am not the optimist unless it is warranted. Since the JR trade we have lost two games. One because a player went crazy (Roy with 52 pts) and one because a off the bench role player hit a game winning three. Sure those are both defensive lapses but we can also make the case that those are unusual circumstances.

As for Amare. Hes right. And thats one of the best post defenders OF ALL TIME. You act like Matt Bonner was eating him up. You act like hes making excuses but in reality the best post defender of our generation + getting superstar calls = tough to make shots. Personally I think Shaq should have been getting the touches as he would have forced those calls to be made. But if misses his FT's then we are second guessing Porter anyway. So I see why he did what he did.

And no Porter isn't a "special" coach. But hes taking good advantage of our personnel so far and have been pleasently suprised about his end of game plays (which was one of my fav things about DA)

The team is growing and is about to go on a run with the schedule lightening up. Just watch. We will be a Top 3 seed come All Star break. Then we will be singing their praises. And they won't be as good as we think then either. DOn't base everything on W's and L's in December. Watch the flow of the game.

These last two losses have been reasons for hope and optimisim rather then being cataclysmic. Prior to the trade the losses were very bad signs.

It will come together. I'm not saying we are going to beat the Lakers but I think we can beat anyone else in a 7 game series should we mature the way I see us doing so.

One thing. Anyone else for trading Barbosa (extra offense) for a stud perimeter defender? Hopefully one that can run the offense too?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez - talk about overreaction.

If Mason misses that shot we are talking about how dominant we are inside and how we cannot be stopped.

a) he didn't miss the shot and he's a 48% three point-shooter and b) maybe you'd be talking about how dominant we are, but I'd still see Amare just completely forcing things and looking to be bailed out at the end of games instead of actually just scoring the ball like "the man" should do.

The defensive effort (save the last play) was very good (what did they shoot 41%?) and we are manning up with them on the boards.

This was one game among many. Hadn't we won the last three agianst the Spurs in the RS? I am sure we will be fine.

you were also sure we'd be fine at the beginning of this season... and last season... and against the Jets. You're pretty much a kool-aid guy (even if you say you're not below) unless it's painfully obvious something's wrong.

Again - I am not the optimist unless it is warranted. Since the JR trade we have lost two games. One because a player went crazy (Roy with 52 pts) and one because a off the bench role player hit a game winning three. Sure those are both defensive lapses but we can also make the case that those are unusual circumstances.

when those "unusual circumstances" happen over an over again they're not so unusual and this is exactly the type of garbage Amare spews. You say it's unusual, but have we not given up 40 or more to players this season more than any other team in the league and does this team not give up WIDE OPEN 3s at crucial times over and over and again?

As for Amare. Hes right. And thats one of the best post defenders OF ALL TIME. You act like Matt Bonner was eating him up. You act like hes making excuses but in reality the best post defender of our generation + getting superstar calls = tough to make shots. Personally I think Shaq should have been getting the touches as he would have forced those calls to be made.

force what calls? Amare was just missing shots. Shots "the man" needs to make if he wants to be "the man". Crying about not getting calls that no one at my house saw, no one on the broadcast even somewhat questioned is just more of the same... an excuse from a guy who wants to be considered All-World simply because he thinks he is.

The team is growing and is about to go on a run with the schedule lightening up. Just watch. We will be a Top 3 seed come All Star break. Then we will be singing their praises. And they won't be as good as we think then either. DOn't base everything on W's and L's in December. Watch the flow of the game.

we'll see. They're schedule does look good on paper, but we've been injury free and guys are playing heavy minutes. That doesn't bode well once we get into that 8 games in 12 games stretch in January. But we should rip off 5 in a row after this game which could give us some good momentum heading into that tough stretch.

These last two losses have been reasons for hope and optimisim rather then being cataclysmic.

no loss to the Spurs is a reason for hope. Almost every game is exactly the same. We get out to a 13 point lead, the Spurs grind us down and then more often than not, they make the big shot at the end of the game and we lose. That's what I saw yesterday. And giving up 124 points to anyone isn't reason for hope.

It will come together. I'm not saying we are going to beat the Lakers but I think we can beat anyone else in a 7 game series should we mature the way I see us doing so.

I can't see us beating SA. I mean, we came out guns ablazing, at home, with good rest on Christmas day, led throughout the game, dominated the boards no one but Duncan played well... and we still lost. And there's no way we can beat the Lakers. Anyone else in the West? Yeah, we'd have a shot (although I think the Hornets probably still own us as well).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone notice on several occasions when the Suns got the opposing player funneled driving to the baseline only to find there was no one there to stop them before they got to the basket. I noticed some Suns players were frustrated by the failure of other players to come over and help. I think someone pointed this out to Amare on at least one play but I'm sure there were a number of Suns not playing help defense.

This was really frustrating... seeing a good defensive strategy (forcing the driving player baseline) fail because someone did not close the door.

cly2tw

Reaction score
It's the law of averages and most teams will take it. 3pt shooting, on average, around the league is ... oh, I'm gonna guess around 40%. 2pt shots whether in the paint or just outside is ... oh, I'm gonna guess around 50%.

So would you take your chances guarding the higher percentage areas or lower areas? Unfortunately, the Suns usually end up getting burned. :mad:

You got your risk assessment wrong at a fundamental point: outcomes of made 2 and 3 are different in this particular condition. With 5 fouls on TD, it's more likely that we would have won it in OT with a made 2. Thus, the blunder by JR was even more costly. Even ignoring this aspect, Parker was covered very well by Hill at that point. The shot would have had a chance to go in much lower than normal, around 20% maybe, definitely much lower than Mason shooting open 3s.

cly2tw

Reaction score
i know this probably isn't the case, but man it seems like we lose more big games by giving up wide-open threes on our homecourt no matter who's coaching or who's on the court since we got into AWA.

oh well. Amare's got the rebounding thing down now he needs to be to "the man". now he just needs to learn how to finish a ball game on the offensive end.

Well, we could quite safely it will come with experience and failure of working him repeatedly in that role. So far, he has always proven doubters wrong that he can't do this or that. Sometimes, I am really curious how much he'd improve on the aspect of being the 'man' when throwing into a condition JoeJohnson faced in Atl or Dirk faced in Dallas. I'd bet he'd be much more the "man" JJ and Dirk are now.;)

cly2tw

Reaction score
I am starting to think this way too.

WHY was Nash even in there for the last play, because of his defense? If Hill could guard Parker, Barnes should have been substituted in for Nash. It may not have mattered directly this game, but I think that was a mistake by Coach Porter.

Also on that last play, Ginobili was w-i-d-e open with Nash covering him on the switch from Mason.

Our defensive discipline sucks. I wonder if Porter is emphasizing defense anymore. We look just like D'antoni's defense, except for that overused high school zone. Popovich looks like a freekkin genius, the way he beats us over and over with less overall weapons.:bang:

So true on both counts!
We have Dragic the Parker-defender on the bench, who fight through screens among the best I have seen which suits this kind of situation best. Yet, we don't give him any court time at all. Barnes' game was too eratic though.
Also, our guards have the habit to contract into paint. Parker's open 3 middle in the game was when Nash wondered into paint for 'help' defense. He does it so often that's become second nature already. But that's gimmecry defense aimed at gambling. We don't need to gamble while in the driver's seat. Damn it.:bang:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The other thing that hurt the defense was Amare or whoever it was that was going for the steal at the top of the key (in the second half). This gamble often would have the Suns scrambling on defense and having the spurs jumpshooters wide open.

nowagimp

Reaction score
A very good game overall, and even entertaining, though perhaps more so for the spurs fans. THe disappointment is that even with shaq and amare having good games, the suns can't pull out win at home against the spurs. Something tells me this would not have been as close in san antonio. Well, maybe, just maybe, the spurs are a better coached team, they execute just a little better on both offense and defense. They had bonner on amare for a good part of the game, you would think the suns would get a better edge there. Difference is that in the past the suns would lose the game on a matchup down low with TD killing them and parker going to the rim on the pick and roll. Now they have the personnel to counter on the inside, but just cant pull it out when they play VERY well. I though JRich should have gotten the ball several times when he was lined up and the suns were going inside. If JRich is wide open and he is squared up he is deadly from 3, he SHOULD get the ball over amare going inside against 3 guys. JRich does not shoot the ball very well, so far, when he is well defended or doesnt get his feet set to shoot. It seems like it takes him too long to set his feet and shoot well. But from 3, wide open, you have to give him that shot to keep the spacing on the floor.

Last edited:

Sovereignz

Registered
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AtZZUHuEu2PadoJapcgrG8q8vLYF?gid=2008122521&prov=ap

“We played good enough to win,” Stoudemire said. “Every time we play the Spurs some type of big shot ends up happening.”

this also just makes me shake my head. When you continually give up wide open shots at the end of games, the best teams are going to make you pay for them more often than not.

Amare makes it out like the Spurs just keep getting lucky over and over and over and over and over and over again. If you played good enough to win, YOU'D WIN.

comments like these, the above crying about the refs, and his comments about how we played good enough defense to win a game in which we gave up 124 points just scream out to me that Amare is just a mental midget.

Those are two pretty harmless statements, to be honest. Not sure why anyone would get upset over them.

I do agree with you about not saying anything about the officiating though.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was a great game but I knew the Spurs would make a huge shot. I had 3 main problems towards the end.

Parker wasn't called on an offensive charge. He pushed off Nash with his off arm. It was really obvious IMO.

Then WTF were we going to Amare down low so many times in a row with Shaq being our best low post threat? That is Shaq's job. That is why we brought him here. For low post play at the end. That is all on Porter.

Last, why the hell would you leave a 3 point shooter when that's the only play that could win the game? Worst case scenarion you go into OT.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another factor. The Suns bench produces only 2 points. It's hard to imagine Barnes goes scoreless and LB produces only 2 points. I can't remember when the Suns bench only produced 2 points in a game. Could it be close to a record?

Anyway, the Suns definitely deserved to lose after not being able to put the Spurs away early.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I thought it was a great game but I knew the Spurs would make a huge shot. I had 3 main problems towards the end.

Parker wasn't called on an offensive charge. He pushed off Nash with his off arm. It was really obvious IMO.

Then WTF were we going to Amare down low so many times in a row with Shaq being our best low post threat? That is Shaq's job. That is why we brought him here. For low post play at the end. That is all on Porter.

Last, why the hell would you leave a 3 point shooter when that's the only play that could win the game? Worst case scenarion you go into OT.

If they went to Shaq, someone else would have just fouled him to put him on the line. Their problem was that Amare and the coaches wanted too much to get a foul callled on TD, so that his moves became unnaturally forcing. Instead, he could have faced up to fake and fallaway jumper for better accruracy and easier route to coax a foul call on TD.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As already mentioned, going into OT with Tim Duncan with five fouls is not bad. The Suns have a long history of giving up critical three point shots. Not guarding the 3 point shooter in this situation is unbelievable.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I agree with the rest of your post, but I think the idea here was to attack Duncan, who had 5 fouls. It is reasonable to assume that Amare would score on two out of three possessions against Duncan who has 5 fouls, whereas Shaq would probably be fouled by somebody other than Duncan. In theory, it was a good strategy- attack Duncan. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a bad decision as Amare got put in his place by Duncan. I don't blame Porter for this. I blame Amare.

I will, however, blame Porter is the same thing happens again.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Did anyone notice on several occasions when the Suns got the opposing player funneled driving to the baseline only to find there was no one there to stop them before they got to the basket. I noticed some Suns players were frustrated by the failure of other players to come over and help. I think someone pointed this out to Amare on at least one play but I'm sure there were a number of Suns not playing help defense.

This was really frustrating... seeing a good defensive strategy (forcing the driving player baseline) fail because someone did not close the door.

I saw at least 2 possessions where Shaq forced Duncan to the baseline and Amare was nowhere to be found.

bigfoot

Mystery solved.
Reaction score
We're being too hard on Amare. He deserved those shot attempts. So he didn't make them. So he didn't find the opportunity to pass. Whatever. Those are mistakes he should be allowed to make now if he is going to be the centerpiece of this franchise in the near future.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
a) he didn't miss the shot and he's a 48% three point-shooter and b) maybe you'd be talking about how dominant we are, but I'd still see Amare just completely forcing things and looking to be bailed out at the end of games instead of actually just scoring the ball like "the man" should do.

I highly doubt you would be talking about Amare in that light as a) he wouldn't have had to discuss that sequence of events had that shot not gone in and b) He had another strong rebounding and relatively strong defensive game. Two of the things you kill him on repeatedly (and rightfully so) if he wants to be the man. Im thinking you would be lauding his continued strong play.

you were also sure we'd be fine at the beginning of this season... and last season... and against the Jets. You're pretty much a kool-aid guy (even if you say you're not below) unless it's painfully obvious something's wrong.

I didn't think we would be fine at the beginning of the season. I said as much in a post when I told many that we would become my worst fear. A slightly better defensive team but mediocre offensive team. Making us overall medicore. Last season I liked the Shaq trade. And the Jets....Well I found (and still find) the Jets to be overatted and we were playing well at the time. (@SF, MIA, tough loss to WAS). If not for the scourge of my life Kurt Warner I would still think we would have won that game. But yeah I am an optimist. Thats what makes sports fun for me. I am rational about everyone but my own teams unless like you mentioned something is glaringly wrong.

when those "unusual circumstances" happen over an over again they're not so unusual and this is exactly the type of garbage Amare spews. You say it's unusual, but have we not given up 40 or more to players this season more than any other team in the league and does this team not give up WIDE OPEN 3s at crucial times over and over and again?

Okay I don't disagree that we have had our defensive lapses this year. Here is more my point. I liked our ability to advance the last 4 years based on the matchup for our ability to score enough points to win. I actually think we have the best offensive personnel now then we have EVER had. Meaning I don't think we are ever going to be a defensive juggernaut in the Nash era. But I think we lost in the playoffs all these years not because of our lack of defense but because we couldn't grind it out in the half court. Now we can. My point is we can win with just a little bit better defense.

force what calls? Amare was just missing shots. Shots "the man" needs to make if he wants to be "the man". Crying about not getting calls that no one at my house saw, no one on the broadcast even somewhat questioned is just more of the same... an excuse from a guy who wants to be considered All-World simply because he thinks he is.

Shaq would have drawn foul calls IMO. Amare doesn't get that benefit of the doubt against Duncan. If should have finished. That I don't disagree with. I am just giving him the benefit because of the degree of difficultly. Again Duncan is all world on the defensive end.

we'll see. They're schedule does look good on paper, but we've been injury free and guys are playing heavy minutes. That doesn't bode well once we get into that 8 games in 12 games stretch in January. But we should rip off 5 in a row after this game which could give us some good momentum heading into that tough stretch.

Agreed.

no loss to the Spurs is a reason for hope. Almost every game is exactly the same. We get out to a 13 point lead, the Spurs grind us down and then more often than not, they make the big shot at the end of the game and we lose. That's what I saw yesterday. And giving up 124 points to anyone isn't reason for hope.

Maybe not hope but this particular loss doesn't exactly make me think the Spurs have our number and are unable to be beat (as I thinought when we would have to go small against them the past 4 years) either. Just a fraction of better execution and this game is a laugher. And I expect the execution to go up in the coming months as Richardson and even Shaq integrate further. Lets just say if/when this scenario comes up again I don't see Richardson falling off his man. And thats the difference in beating a top 4 team in the league or not. The turnovers as a team need to be cut down but Amares passing and rebounding and Richardson's 3 point shooting added to what we already have makes me VERY excited.

I can't see us beating SA. I mean, we came out guns ablazing, at home, with good rest on Christmas day, led throughout the game, dominated the boards no one but Duncan played well... and we still lost. And there's no way we can beat the Lakers. Anyone else in the West? Yeah, we'd have a shot (although I think the Hornets probably still own us as well).

I guess I am basing the unknown aginst the known. I am not sure more time is going to make the Spurs get any better. I am almost positive more time with JRich will bring improvement. I guess we will see but as you guessed it.....

I am optimistic.:)

Last edited:

LavaLamp2

Registered
Reaction score
Just watched the game again...

Of course, I would've preferred a Suns win but:

a) The Suns hung in there with the Spurs' big three despite a handful of defensive lapses. They showed they can play half-court physical, playoff basketball. They have lots of room for improvement but they have made good progress. They are no longer a one-trick pony.

b) Shaq has shown he has been diligent about preparing himself for this season and for the playoffs. He has improved in every area where he is weak. He is not holding back this team. He is co-anchoring it.

c) It is better to have a loss now which exposes what the Suns still need to work on while there is still a lot of time to work on things.

d) Grant Hill has shown how great an asset he still is on the court with his basketball IQ and judicious use of his remaining athleticism.

e) Amare needs these situations to learn and get experience for the post-season. I like how we now have our own version of the twin towers. His stat line combined with Shaq's is quite impressive. Also, his defense and rebounding was not bad at all.

f) J-Rich now knows what he needs to work on when facing a good team defense and offense. I am confident that he will learn from this and get better. Spurs held him to half his usual output.

g) Leandro... hope one of the coaches can help him figure out how he can be effective against the Spurs. He's got skills and talent that just need to be fine-tuned when it comes to the Spurs.

h) Barnes... I am hoping he just had an off-day. He did rebound well on the defensive end but was not much of an offensive threat. Great assist on that one play though.

i) Nash played well. Would've wanted to see him bury more threes in a catch-and-shoot . Some defensive lapses but not horrible defensively.

Overall, I think the Suns played well. They wanted a measuring stick, and they got a fair measurement. They are better but still need work. They are not quite elite yet but have the potential to match-up well against the elite teams. The fact that they lost the game on the last shot is almost irrelevant. The game could've gone either way... but the lessons learned from this game can go a long way towards preparing this team for the playoffs.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they went to Shaq, someone else would have just fouled him to put him on the line. Their problem was that Amare and the coaches wanted too much to get a foul callled on TD, so that his moves became unnaturally forcing. Instead, he could have faced up to fake and fallaway jumper for better accruracy and easier route to coax a foul call on TD.

They had already abandoned fouling Shaq at that point. However, even if they did, Shaq was still shooting over 50% and making at least one free throw while going at Duncan would have been more then worth it.

As already mentioned, going into OT with Tim Duncan with five fouls is not bad. The Suns have a long history of giving up critical three point shots. Not guarding the 3 point shooter in this situation is unbelievable.

Exactly. Parker didn't have that clean of a shot and Hill played good "D". Even if Parker had made that shot....that would not have been a bad thing IMO. Worst case scenario they tie.

I agree with the rest of your post, but I think the idea here was to attack Duncan, who had 5 fouls. It is reasonable to assume that Amare would score on two out of three possessions against Duncan who has 5 fouls, whereas Shaq would probably be fouled by somebody other than Duncan. In theory, it was a good strategy- attack Duncan. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a bad decision as Amare got put in his place by Duncan. I don't blame Porter for this. I blame Amare.

I will, however, blame Porter is the same thing happens again.

I was OK with them going to Amare but 3 times? Again, go to Shaq. Even if they foul Shaq and he makes one FT, it changes the next possession for the Spurs. Besides, if they don't foul Shaq then Duncan is forced to guard him and Shaq can back down Duncan no problem. Again, I have no problem attacking Duncan but with Amare? Since when is Amare a closer? That's what we brought Shaq in here for. Either live by Shaq or die by Shaq but use the guy.

Bad decision by Porter. Also, it's his job to coach the defense. What about reminding your guys to cover 3 points shooters because it's the only shot that can beat you?

Besides when has Amare ever been a closer with this team with the game on the line? What about using your guy named Nash who time and time again has made big shots? What about your new gunner in JRich? Again, why not try Shaq? IMO making a shot at that point in the game was more important then trying to foul out Duncan. I blame porter more then Amare.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I was OK with them going to Amare but 3 times? Again, go to Shaq. Even if they foul Shaq and he makes one FT, it changes the next possession for the Spurs. Besides, if they don't foul Shaq then Duncan is forced to guard him and Shaq can back down Duncan no problem. Again, I have no problem attacking Duncan but with Amare? Since when is Amare a closer? That's what we brought Shaq in here for. Either live by Shaq or die by Shaq but use the guy.

Bad decision by Porter. Also, it's his job to coach the defense. What about reminding your guys to cover 3 points shooters because it's the only shot that can beat you?

Besides when has Amare ever been a closer with this team with the game on the line? What about using your guy named Nash who time and time again has made big shots? What about your new gunner in JRich? Again, why not try Shaq? IMO making a shot at that point in the game was more important then trying to foul out Duncan. I blame porter more then Amare.

Because Amare has a huge ego and wants to be "the man". If they didn't go to him, he would have cried to the media. I guess Porter is trying to keep Amare happy. I do understand what Porter did though- "You want to be the man? Ok, go ahead." For all we know, maybe Amare said, "Give me the ball!"

I agree with you, though. Shaq should have had the ball in the low post on those possessions, especially after Duncan put Amare in his place first time or two. I am incredibly disappointed that Amare could not get ONE point on 3 possessions against a guy with 5 fouls.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Since when is Amare a closer? That's what we brought Shaq in here for. Either live by Shaq or die by Shaq but use the guy.

That's exactly THE problem, isn't it? Our destinated franchise player has NEVER been given the chance consistently to work on being the closer! It's about time. So, I don't fault the coach for giving him the chance. Yet, I expected some variation in methods and proper attitude instilled on Amare at least. Mix it up with some fallaway, some faceup. Even though you want TD foul out, don't force it, cos the more you want it the easier TD could counter it knowing your obsession. So, I agree with you on Porter not doing his job at properly preparing Amare for this task.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Because Amare has a huge ego and wants to be "the man". If they didn't go to him, he would have cried to the media. I guess Porter is trying to keep Amare happy. I do understand what Porter did though- "You want to be the man? Ok, go ahead." For all we know, maybe Amare said, "Give me the ball!"

I agree with you, though. Shaq should have had the ball in the low post on those possessions, especially after Duncan put Amare in his place first time or two. I am incredibly disappointed that Amare could not get ONE point on 3 possessions against a guy with 5 fouls.

It's about psychology and strategy. The best, according to the great ancient Chinese war theorist, SunTzu, is not directly force it to get the first best outcome with great risk as the enemy has better prepared for it. It's better to use this threat and profit via other means that the enemy is always too much concerned with initial weakness of his. In this case, Amare should have started to shoot some jumpers, knowing that TD wouldn't be able to charge too hard to defend it with 5 fouls.

Hey, Amare learned how to be patient at distributing the ball at high post, from which position he made so many boneheaded 1 on 3 drives. So, he will sometime learn what's best to do in this situation too. Not worried.:D

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
That's exactly THE problem, isn't it? Our destinated franchise player has NEVER been given the chance consistently to work on being the closer! It's about time. So, I don't fault the coach for giving him the chance. Yet, I expected some variation in methods and proper attitude instilled on Amare at least. Mix it up with some fallaway, some faceup. Even though you want TD foul out, don't force it, cos the more you want it the easier TD could counter it knowing your obsession. So, I agree with you on Porter not doing his job at properly preparing Amare for this task.

Eh, I think the problem is that Amare is just not a franchise material. He is a good player, but he is no franchise.