LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
Phoenix Suns vs San Antonio Spurs

Christmas day game
12:30 PM
abc

Spurs-Suns Preview

The San Antonio Spurs are showing the early season discussion of their demise was premature. Beating them in front of a nationally televised audience might help the Phoenix Suns ward off similar talk about their team.

One of these Western Conference foes can further rejuvenate its season as this rivalry continues on Christmas Day when the Spurs visit the Suns.

"It's Phoenix and we have a history there. It's a rivalry," Spurs guard Roger Mason said. "It's a lot of fun to be able to play on a big stage like that. I think we're starting to play better and better, and it will be a good test for us."

The Spurs (18-10) have won nine of 11 and own the third-best record in the West. Just over a month ago, some believed San Antonio's days as an elite team were over due to a 2-5 start to the season and an aging roster.

No team is older than the Suns (16-11). That, along with the coaching change from Mike D'Antoni to Terry Porter, didn't appear to be a good mix and a four-game losing streak earlier this month put them only two games above .500. However, Phoenix has bounced back to go 5-2, with each loss coming on the road by five points -- to the Lakers and Portland.

Phoenix has won three of four games since acquiring Jason Richardson from Charlotte for Raja Bell and Boris Diaw. He's averaged 18.3 points in a Suns uniform, making 13-of-24 from 3-point range.

"Playing on Christmas Day is huge," Richardson told the team's official Web site. "First time I'm getting to getting to play on that Christmas Day stage and hopefully will get my present in the form of a Suns win.

"This will be the 11th game on Christmas for Phoenix's Shaquille O'Neal, who has averaged 23.6 points and 13.5 rebounds on the holiday while his teams have gone 5-5.

"Been so many now I can't even pick out any specific memories," said the 36-year-old center. "They just all run together and all I know is that I've played in a lot."

The Suns have won the last three regular season meetings with the Spurs, including a 103-98 season-opening victory, but that streak doesn't include San Antonio's first-round playoff win in April. It was the third time in four years the Spurs ousted the Suns from the postseason.

A big factor for San Antonio in those series was the production of Manu Ginobili, who missed the Oct. 29 game versus Phoenix while recovering from offseason ankle surgery. His status for this game is uncertain after he briefly left Tuesday's 99-93 win over Minnesota when the ankle started to bother him.

"I'm hoping it's just scar tissue or something like that," coach Gregg Popovich said. "Those things are going to happen to him while he's recovering, but we'll find out."

Tony Parker has keyed the Spurs' current three-game winning streak, averaging 26.0 points on 60.4 percent shooting and 8.0 assists.

His point guard counterpart was the difference in Phoenix's most recent victory. Steve Nash scored eight straight points in the final three minutes as the Suns beat Northwest Division-leading Denver 108-101 on Saturday for their fifth straight home win.

"That's good mojo for us in our building and hopefully we can continue to build on it," Porter said.

Nash is averaging 18.3 points in his last four games. However, in the last four-plus seasons, including playoff games, the Suns are 5-15 versus San Antonio when Nash scores more than 15 points, compared to 6-4 when he doesn't.

The Spurs have lost their last two road games -- to division leaders New Orleans and Orlando -- as they were held under 85 points and 40 percent from the field both times.

Phoenix, though, has given up more than 100 points in 12 straight games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=281225021

Last edited:

Blackification

Registered
Reaction score
Player News (last updated: December 24, 2008)
News: Stoudemire missed practice on Tuesday with a sore left ankle, the Arizona Republic reports.
Spin: At this point the injury doesn't seem to be serious, and won't keep Stoudemire off the court when it counts.

Lol thank god.. I almost freaked out when I saw him on that injured list from the ESPN link.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns up 27-18 after the 1st quarter. Suns shooting 58% with 2/4 3 pointers, Spurs 31% with 0/5 3 pointers.

Suns have hit 3/6 free throws, Spurs have hit 2/2 free throws.

Suns have committed 4 turnovers (Nash has 2), Spurs 1.

Suns have 2 offensive rebounds, Spurs 3.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmmm...Suns shooting 48%, Spurs 35% yet we're only up 4. :(

cly2tw

Reaction score
We started to gamble too much with JR getting the ball. They were creeping back into the game. Give Nash adn Amare some rest for clutch time. So far, Nash's defense on Parker is not bad at all.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I missed the first quarter where they were looking good. Now they look like garbage in the second. grrrrrrrrrr. Can't put the ball in the hole. Offense is horrible. Defensive rebounding is terrible. I'm trying to figure how the suns can be winning a game and still make me feel so freaking uncomfortable.

cly2tw

Reaction score
With Shaq in there, it's wise to slow it down like we just did, to take full advantage of him and push TD downlow. we are back to 8pt lead again this way.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
y is my damn page not refreshing unless i post a comment. grrrrrrrrrr. fine. get use to me posting meaningless drivel then people

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Smart move by Barnes to knock the ball out of bounds......Bowen was wide open and probably would've nailed that three.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Nash finally made the dagger pass to Shaq under basket, too bad the shot didn't fall. LB for one time didn't pass to Amare at lowpost, the possession got lost as predicted.

In general, we made our gains and loss on discipline and lack thereof. In a stretch at start of 2nd, our guards made their attacking moves too quick and failed. On our heels, spurs scored on fastbreaks DA's suns used to.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good 1st quarter by the Suns.

Suns up 45-39 after the 2nd quarter. Suns shooting 50% with 2/6 3 pointers, Spurs 33% with 1/8 3 pointers. We really should be up by a lot more given that field goal % difference. :(

Suns have committed 7 turnovers (Nash has 3), Spurs 2. :( It's annoying how often teams have very few turnovers against us.

Suns have hit 3/6 free throws, Spurs 7/8 have hit 7/8 free throws.

Suns have only 3 fast break points.

Suns have 24 points in the paint, Spurs 10.

Suns and Spurs tied at 4 offensive rebounds.

Last edited:

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
where r all the posters? I cant believe people think hangin with their families on christmas is more important than posting on this site during a suns game. disgusting

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bad start to the 3rd quarter by the Suns, outscored 13 to 7. :( Suns and Spurs tied at 52 with 6:56 left in the 3rd quarter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson