Yi's Agents to ask for a trade from Milwaukee

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
Wrong side of the bay with the Oakland reference.

This much more about the Chinese sports authority and Dan Fegan maximizing Yi's earning potential than Yi's opinion.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento itself may not have a large Chinese population, but Northern California has a huge Chinese population dating back to initial railway construction. Many of the rice farms in the surrounding areas are owned by Chinese interests.

I would imagine they would like a deal like this, short of, say, San Francisco or LA trading for him.

Yeah the Warriors are relatively close to large Asian populations, Sacramento is not all that close to them though, a few hours drive.

I'm surprised if they were on his list I know the Warriors were and I know the Lakers were, he's been working out in LA at UCLA for weeks leading up to the draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because defection requires the country receiving the defector to agree to honor it. A Chinese basketball player defecting to the U.S. would be an international incident. It's much more complicated with the Chinese than any other Communist nation, mostly because the U.S. is an economic partner. Basically, China owns the U.S. Quite literally.

Also, as I understand it, China is literally financing the Iraq war and this is a fact not politics. Actually if China called in our notes or whatever the U.S. would likely go bankrupt or have our dollars turn to pesos. So when China talks people better listen until our government learns better.

Anyway this is my take about China's influence on the NBA. It all rolls downhill.

So Gaddabout, I think we agree.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, as I understand it, China is literally financing the Iraq war and this is a fact not politics. Actually if China called in our notes or whatever the U.S. would likely go bankrupt or have our dollars turn to pesos. So when China talks people better listen until our government learns better.

Anyway this is my take about China's influence on the NBA. It all rolls downhill.

It also may have something to do with what region in China these players were in. Yi Jianlin is from Guangdong, a very wealthy southern province, so there may not have been major political pressure on him. Just serving his country like any other Chinese patriot.

Beijing, the capitol, might be a different story. Sun Yue's Beijing team refused to release him to the Chinese Basketball Association, so the CBA banned them. The Beijing team moved to LA for a year and joined the ABA. I believe this might've been one of Paul Shirley's stops. Anyway, it was something of a de facto defection until China allowed Yue to return to them for international competition. I think the better you are the more pull you have. And China isn't going to lose face over a basketball player.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
*coughs*
Yao Ming... And China does take some of ther money from their players..
*cough* *cough*... and US also takes quite a bit of money from its players... and non-players... and it is called INCOME TAX!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player