Yi to be blocked from Bucks

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
From ESPN

Report: Chinese team says Bucks not best for Yi

BEIJING -- The Milwaukee Bucks' campaign to secure the services of reluctant power forward Yi Jianlian has suffered a blow after the player's Chinese club said it would block his move to the United States.

Yi, taken by Milwaukee with the sixth selection in the NBA draft last month, would "definitely not" play for Milwaukee, Tuesday's Beijing News quoted Guangdong Tigers chief, Chen Haitao, as saying.

"This is not -- as media reports have said -- because Milwaukee, as a city with very few Chinese people, is not good for Yi's commercial development," Chen said.

"Rather we want to find a team suitable for Yi's growth. That's the root of the problem," he added.

Earlier in July, Yi's Chinese agent said the unsigned player was looking to be traded to another club, despite pledges by Milwaukee officials to do whatever they could to make him feel at home.

Chen expressed concern that Yi would have trouble getting playing time with the Bucks, whose squad boasts Australian 7-footer Andrew Bogut and a number of other tall young players.
"The national team and the Olympic Games are now our key considerations ... If [Yi] goes to a team where he can't compete, that would be being irresponsible to the national team," Chen said.

I find it quite racist to be honest.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
It is not racist, its greedy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
YouJustGotSUNSD

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Entering into a draft and then refusing to go where youre picked because there arent any chinese there?

They are racially disciminating against the city

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Entering into a draft and then refusing to go where youre picked because there arent any chinese there?

It is for marketing purposes. I guess there is not a large chinese community in Milwaukee. Even if there is, it is not the size of the chinese community in LA, NYC, or Chicago, for example.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
Exactly. The larger Chinese communities found on the west coast means tens of millions of dollars for the Yi team. It has nothing to do with Yi's comfort level in a predominantly white and black city, and everything about making money.

OP
OP
YouJustGotSUNSD

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Oh so racially discriminating against a city for reasons of profit is ok?

HE ENTERED INTO THE DRAFT PEOPLE

Tim Duncan is in one of the smallest markets in the league, why didnt his agent veto the spurs draft selection?

Must I even bring up the loyalty KG has to the attendance plummeting state of minnesota? Has he demanded a trade? NO! He would rather break down and cry in an interview than market himself in a better basketball city.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whether I agree with it or not, it is not like Bernie Brewer can sue him for it or something.

Wait, maybe he can.....

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
All I can say is "wow".

They don't want Yi to play there cuz they already have Bogut?

Give me a break. Whats next? They'll demand he be traded anytime one of his teams aquire another center?

Freaking commies.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I totally agree the majority of the board that this is utter BS, and I applaud Milwaukee for taking a stand and taking a gamble on the guy hoping they could finesse him into wanting to play there. Its unfortunate that crappy teams that have a real shot at getting better in the draft now have FAR less of a chance to do so. All the player has to do is say no thanks, and suddenly he doesnt have to play for you. Its the John ELway symdrome. I hated that guy his whole career for that move and Eli Manning aint far down the pole in that regard.

BUT. He at the very least, the entire time said, Milwaukee, dont draft me. And they did. Either the league needs to step in, tell ole Yi thhat he plays ffr the team that drafted him or he never plays in the league, or they need to award Milwaukee some sort of compensatory pick for trying their darndest to play the game the way its supposed to be played and getting screwed for it in the end.

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
Where ever yi ends up he better watch his ass when he plays against the bucks, cause they will try to make fried rice out of him....

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NBA should not allow Yi to play in the NBA for five years.

The Bucks do not deserve compensation for the selection. They knew the risks going in.

cly2tw

Reaction score

What are you talking about? Is there a way to play in the NBA at his age without entering the draft?

With your logic, the NBA is racially discriminating Yi for forcing him go through the draft, since that makes him much more vulnerable to be forced into a situation he racially felt uncomfortable, compared to fellow white or black draftees from the US. That's utterly absurd.:lame:
:shrug:

Where ever yi ends up he better watch his ass when he plays against the bucks, cause they will try to make fried rice out of him....

Whatever he does is much less offensive to the common code of conduct than what Boozer pulled over the Cavs. So, enlighten me, what's the punishment for Boozer again?

cly2tw

Reaction score
The NBA should not allow Yi to play in the NBA for five years.

The Bucks do not deserve compensation for the selection. They knew the risks going in.

That might be considered racist, as Francis pulled the same stunt, successfully, when he was drafted if my memory serves me right.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That might be considered racist, as Francis pulled the same stunt, successfully, when he was drafted if my memory serves me right.

Yes but discrimination against Canada is ok.

:D

If I were the Bucks I'd say give us a list of teams you will accept a deal for ranked favorite to least favorite, and then trade him to the least favorite.

People keep saying it's not Yi it's his handlers, last time I checked he wants to play in the NBA, which is a league in a free country, if he wants to play in Milwaukee, he can. So I say he's somewhat to blame here too, I realize he's a young kid and a pawn but he has some leverage too, tell China if you don't cooperate I'll never play on your Olympic team again.

Whether he likes it or not he's being forced to play politics and so far he's just taking the party line.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
And Eli Manning same thing when he was drafted #1 by San Diego Chargers...

BTW, I don't think NBA should allow this to happen as this will continue to set a bad precedent. If they don't let him play where he was drafted, let him stay in China.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NBA needs to step in here. At the very least the NBA needs to make changes to the rules to not allow players drafted to dictate where they can go. This it utter BS.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
The NBA needs to step in here. At the very least the NBA needs to make changes to the rules to not allow players drafted to dictate where they can go. This it utter BS.
I agree. Stern spends too much time on BS rules. What about having this rule, you play for the team who drafts you or you don't play in NBA.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
so where's he going? will milwaukee onlly get .50 on the dollar for him (or less)?

OP
OP
YouJustGotSUNSD

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
What are you talking about? Is there a way to play in the NBA at his age without entering the draft?
Wow, the poor guy, being sought after at such a young age and only having one traditional way for him to come here.

Gee, who thought leaving a communist country and getting paid a ridiculous amount of money to play a sport in America would be such a hard knock life.

Or...if he doesnt like who he is drafted to you could just tell him..."tough"

With your logic, the NBA is racially discriminating Yi for forcing him go through the draft, since that makes him much more vulnerable to be forced into a situation he racially felt uncomfortable, compared to fellow white or black draftees from the US. That's utterly absurd.:lame:
:shrug:

Wow man, thats quite a stretch, even though you wrote it, I really hope you dont believe it

Here's a thought, its not discimination if everyone goes through the same unbiased process... that would be called non-discriminatory

cly2tw

Reaction score
Wow, the poor guy, being sought after at such a young age and only having one traditional way for him to come here.

Gee, who thought leaving a communist country and getting paid a ridiculous amount of money to play a sport in America would be such a hard knock life.

Or...if he doesnt like who he is drafted to you could just tell him..."tough"

Wow man, thats quite a stretch, even though you wrote it, I really hope you dont believe it

Here's a thought, its not discimination if everyone goes through the same unbiased process... that would be called non-discriminatory

Wow, you really believe there is anything out there that is unbiased! That may be true, but YOU are biased right now, as I am.

As to your typical SIMPLISTIC money/communist preach, let me remind you that this is a FREE country and everybody is allowed to behave within the rules. If he declines to play in the NBA, which he is about to do with his right in the hands of the Bucks, its HIS OWN loss of that unbelievable amount of money you were so emphatically talking about, and HIS own only. If you want punish him for this FREE choice of his own, while Francis and Ferry did the same thing without any further official repercussion. Well, according to your own Logic, that's because the latter are Americans and thus you'd be rightly accused of racism. Period.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys would really freak out over the baseball draft. :)

It's ironic that someone says "freaking commie" but fail to grasp that the draft is far more communist than capitalist. In the purest capitalistic sense a rookie who meets the requirements to join the league should be free to apply where ever he likes and lets the market determine the value of his services.

One of the biggest fears about people challenging things like age limits on a draft is that the courts would rule that the entire draft process should be voided.

Ultimately the NBA can't afford to "come down hard" on Yi for that reason and because Stern is trying to develop the potential cash cow that is China.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys would really freak out over the baseball draft. :)

It's ironic that someone says "freaking commie" but fail to grasp that the draft is far more communist than capitalist. In the purest capitalistic sense a rookie who meets the requirements to join the league should be free to apply where ever he likes and lets the market determine the value of his services.

One of the biggest fears about people challenging things like age limits on a draft is that the courts would rule that the entire draft process should be voided.

Ultimately the NBA can't afford to "come down hard" on Yi for that reason and because Stern is trying to develop the potential cash cow that is China.

True but I think there's a bigger issue in that people genuinely believe, and I believe correctly, that without a draft the NBA would lose competitive balance?

OP
OP
YouJustGotSUNSD

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Wow, you really believe there is anything out there that is unbiased! That may be true, but YOU are biased right now, as I am.

As to your typical SIMPLISTIC money/communist preach, let me remind you that this is a FREE country and everybody is allowed to behave within the rules. If he declines to play in the NBA, which he is about to do with his right in the hands of the Bucks, its HIS OWN loss of that unbelievable amount of money you were so emphatically talking about, and HIS own only. If you want punish him for this FREE choice of his own, while Francis and Ferry did the same thing without any further official repercussion. Well, according to your own Logic, that's because the latter are Americans and thus you'd be rightly accused of racism. Period.

I never disputed that. If he declines to play in the NBA I would be completely ok with that compared to him demanding a trade.

I dont see how that is punishment. If he doesnt want to play by the rules, he wont play, how is that punishment?

Your reflected accusations of racism against me assume I was pro-francis and ferry. WTF are you smoking, I havent even referenced any other scenarios.

Youre splitting hairs that arent even relevant. Cut it out.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True but I think there's a bigger issue in that people genuinely believe, and I believe correctly, that without a draft the NBA would lose competitive balance?

Why has this happened in the past and there were no reprecussions? Why does it happen every year in the baseball draft? Why does it happen occassionally in the football draft? Why has no league "come down on those players?"

Because then the legitimacy of the draft would be challenged in court and the league that was challenged would lose and suddenly every rookie would be a free agent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player