Yi's Agents to ask for a trade from Milwaukee

HooverDam

Reaction score
Am I the only one that has a problem with this? I hate when players who are drafted by a certain team basically black mail there way out of playing for a particular team. It happens in other sports to.

What is the point of the draft then? The NBA needs a new rule that doesn't give the player that option. I just don't feel bad for a kid who is going to be a millionaire crying about the team he has to go to. If he doesn't like it, he will get his shot at FA and can go where he wants.

I agree. I hope Koponen declares he refuses to go to Portland due to their small Finnish population.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
You've obviously never been to China Hoover. Stop talking out your xenophobic ass.

Brianellsworth

Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one that has a problem with this? I hate when players who are drafted by a certain team basically black mail there way out of playing for a particular team. It happens in other sports to.

:cought: ELI MANNING :cough:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm following you, what are you trying to get at?

That he has to pay 40 something percent back to China of his salary. (and that is before taxes)

Yi will make little to nothing without endorcement deals. Which is why it is very important to go to a big market, or a team with a large Chinese population.

HooverDam

Reaction score
You've obviously never been to China Hoover. Stop talking out your xenophobic ass.

You're right, I haven't' been, but I'm not a xenophobe in the slightest. Am I wrong that millions upon millions in China are living at subsistence levels of poverty? You are the one defending Communist China, don't sit and act like I'm the crazy one.

That he has to pay 40 something percent back to China of his salary. (and that is before taxes)

Yi will make little to nothing without endorcement deals. Which is why it is very important to go to a big market, or a team with a large Chinese population.

I agree it would be better for Yi to go to a big market, but I also think once you are picked by a team, you go to that team until you reach Free Agency. Maybe thats weird.

If China's government didn't steal a large portion of his paycheck, perhaps this wouldn't be an issue.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right, I haven't' been, but I'm not a xenophobe in the slightest. Am I wrong that millions upon millions in China are living at subsistence levels of poverty? You are the one defending Communist China, don't sit and act like I'm the crazy one.

Let's not turn this into a P&R thread.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I dont see how its racism if they want him to be around traditions he's familar with.. Im pretty sure Milwaukee doesnt have it.. And they could be afraid he'll come here and lose way of the Chinese traditions and become too Americanized..

I agree with this part. I lived in Asia several years (Hong Kong/Singpore/Indonesia) and they really, really stick together - especially the Chinese. They try to keep their traditions alive at every cost and only frequent establishments of their own kind and will only do business with their own. Especially in areas where they are the minority (Indonesia). In areas where they are the majority (Hong Kong) they ostracize outsiders.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Let's not turn this into a P&R thread.

I'm trying not to, I even stated so. But did you see me calling some an ass or a xenophobe? Thats insulting and I was trying to defend myself.

Ah yes I'm the red. The evil communists, as much a go to move for my fellow Americans as ignorance. There are alot of Americans living at subsistence levels too. Every country's populace is stratified to some degree. Go to any city and you'd see China is as much a capitalist as its communist. However most people are contend to fear what they don't understand with China.

Edit: Very good point DeAnna.

Also I didn't call you an ass. I said you were talking out your ass.

Well this paragraph was barely readable. But if you are saying I dislike China on some sort of weird racist grounds, you are crazy. I dislike China because they have an oppressive Communist government. I have no problem w/ Asian people, I dated a Korean girl for 3 years :D

Last edited:

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
Ah yes I'm the red. The evil communists, as much a go to move for my fellow Americans as ignorance. There are alot of Americans living at subsistence levels too. Every country's populace is stratified to some degree. Go to any city and you'd see China is as much a capitalist as its communist. However most people are content to fear what they don't understand with China.

Edit: Very good point DeAnna.

Also I didn't call you an ass. I said you were talking out your ass.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgive me, but I think this is a cultural issue with Yi. He wants to go to a city where he will feel more comfortable and he let that be known before the draft. I think his representatives made it very clear to Milwaukee he was not willing to go there. Yet he worked out for a number of other teams including Phoenix. I don't believe Milwaukee will win because this is not just about Yi, but China as well.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgive me, but I think this is a cultural issue with Yi. He wants to go to a city where he will feel more comfortable and he let that be known before the draft. I think his representatives made it very clear to Milwaukee he was not willing to go there. Yet he worked out for a number of other teams including Phoenix. I don't Milwaukee will win because this is not just about Yi, but China as well.

Of course it is. It is about money as well, like I posted above.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Forgive me, but I think this is a cultural issue with Yi. He wants to go to a city where he will feel more comfortable and he let that be known before the draft. I think his representatives made it very clear to Milwaukee he was not willing to go there. Yet he worked out for a number of other teams including Phoenix. I don't Milwaukee will win because this is not just about Yi, but China as well.

This is why I thought it would be a good idea for them to grab Sun Yue as well, having another Chinese player (I assume they've played together on the national team) may have placated Yi and made him feel more comfortable.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
It's so curious why they'd even select him. This isn't out of the blue by Yi' camp. Larry Harris has never seen Yi workout or play a game. How can you as a GM, take a guy at 6 you've never seen? The pick almost seems stubborn by Milwaukee more than anything.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's so curious why they'd even select him. This isn't out of the blue by Yi' camp. Larry Harris has never seen Yi workout or play a game. How can you as a GM, take a guy at 6 you've never seen? The pick almost seems stubborn by Milwaukee more than anything.

Well, if you are Milwaukee, you do it for 2 reasons.

#1. You call their bluff and maybe Yi plays for them.

#2. They now have a valuable trade asset and that can trade to the teams of his choice. Drafting Yi where they did, and taking their chances on what they could get with a trade if it doesn't work doesn't seem like all that bad of an idea.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
I agree DCR, but I mean in terms of my evaluation, I felt Brewer, Noah, T. Young were all just as good players on the board. Noah and Brewer are ready to play now.
It just seems so obstinate to create a problem. It's not like Milwaukee is horrible. They were hurt last year and need a PG and coach. They have pieces.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree DCR, but I mean in terms of my evaluation, I felt Brewer, Noah, T. Young were all just as good players on the board. Noah and Brewer are ready to play now.
It just seems so obstinate to create a problem. It's not like Milwaukee is horrible. They were hurt last year and need a PG and coach. They have pieces.

Well, Bibby is on the market. They could work something out with Sacramento and Milwaukee has the cap room to absorb some of the his contract. (If I remember correctly)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Bibby is on the market. They could work something out with Sacramento and Milwaukee has the cap room to absorb some of the his contract. (If I remember correctly)

Sacramento isn't really a huge Asian market either. Maybe there are more asians there than in Milwaukee but Sacramento until recently was a largely white community. There are now large black populations and large Filipino communities but I'm there all the time and you don't see many Chinese
people.

IF they want that they should trade him to Cupertino, we don't have an NBA team but we have a very large Chinese population you can't go 100 feet near a business area and not see signs in Mandarin.

I was really surprised to hear how openly they were saying he doesn't want to play in Milwaukee there's not a big enough Asian population there, I don't know if that really comes from him but if a black kid Utah drafted said I want to be traded there's not enough blacks here I gotta think he'd get ripped for it by the media? I think this is largely a Chinese government wanting to control Yi issue?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento isn't really a huge Asian market either. Maybe there are more asians there than in Milwaukee but Sacramento until recently was a largely white community. There are now large black populations and large Filipino communities but I'm there all the time and you don't see many Chinese
people.

IF they want that they should trade him to Cupertino, we don't have an NBA team but we have a very large Chinese population you can't go 100 feet near a business area and not see signs in Mandarin.

I was really surprised to hear how openly they were saying he doesn't want to play in Milwaukee there's not a big enough Asian population there, I don't know if that really comes from him but if a black kid Utah drafted said I want to be traded there's not enough blacks here I gotta think he'd get ripped for it by the media? I think this is largely a Chinese government wanting to control Yi issue?

True, but Sacramento was on Yi's list of teams, from what I read.

kaesile

Rookie
Reaction score
An actual article with quotes...

Even if Yi doesn't mind playing in Milwaukee, I can see his representatives trying to force a trade. Yao's people were fairly satisfied that Houston got the first pick in the 2002 draft, since Houston has a large Chinese population.

"It's a surprise to me," Yi said. "I'm not really familiar with the city as well, but I'm happy to be playing with the team and happy to play in the NBA."

Yi himself said the Bucks never saw him in China, but player personnel director Dave Babcock said he remembers traveling throughout the mainland several years ago to watch Yi play.

General manager Larry Harris said he wasn't sure if he'd meet with Yi's representatives in Dallas or Las Vegas, but that playing for the national team is Yi's priority.

"Based on timing, there wasn't any way to get him in here," Harris said. "I don't want anybody to be misled that that's a bad thing. Certainly we would encourage him to come here as soon as he could."

Babcock, who predicts Yi will play about 20 minutes a game as a rookie, said most of the cities in China he went to had fewer Americans living there than there are Chinese in Milwaukee. According to Census data, there are only about 27,500 people of Asian descent living in the city more famous for beers and bratwurst than cultural diversity.

"We felt comfortable from our standpoint, we did not need to go out there to confirm or deny our own feelings about Yi as a player," Harris said of the Los Angeles workout. "We've estimated we've seen him over 20 times in the last four years. Rest assured, we know him."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-bucks-yi

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid question; Why dont Yao and Yi defect like Cuban baseball players?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento isn't really a huge Asian market either. Maybe there are more asians there than in Milwaukee but Sacramento until recently was a largely white community. There are now large black populations and large Filipino communities but I'm there all the time and you don't see many Chinese people.

Sacramento itself may not have a large Chinese population, but Northern California has a huge Chinese population dating back to initial railway construction. Many of the rice farms in the surrounding areas are owned by Chinese interests.

I would imagine they would like a deal like this, short of, say, San Francisco or LA trading for him.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because they can't. I don't think that they get the same treatment as Cuba for example.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because defection requires the country receiving the defector to agree to honor it. A Chinese basketball player defecting to the U.S. would be an international incident. It's much more complicated with the Chinese than any other Communist nation, mostly because the U.S. is an economic partner. Basically, China owns the U.S. Quite literally.

kaesile

Rookie
Reaction score
Sacramento isn't really a huge Asian market either. Maybe there are more asians there than in Milwaukee but Sacramento until recently was a largely white community.

California as a whole has a large Asian population though - especially Oakland (I think). Going to any of the California teams probably would've been ok from the point of view of Yi's group (Sacramento just had the highest pick).

Yi himself is probably open to playing in Milwaukee, and I agree it's mostly external Chinese influences that are trying to force the trade. But in contrast to the black kid avoiding Utah, Yi's people have more financial and business incentive on trying to find a city with a larger Asian population.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player