Would you take this rookie QB?

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
3-13 57percent completion 26 td vs 28 int 6.5 y/a with one game winning drive.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I wonder why no other Tennessee QB under Phil Fulmer has been as successful in the NFL? After all they played for the same coach in college as Peyton Manning.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
None of the others had Archie Manning for a father.

OP
OP
L

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I posted this because we have so many haters of our young qb, Skelton. If you look at his stats and annualize them for 16 games, he would have similar stats to Manning over 3000 yrds and 22 or 23 td and 27 or 28 ints. The Colt team could not have been any worse than the Cardinal team that played the first half of the season. Now the improvement that Peyton made the second year was nothing less than phenomonal, I would not expect to see that from very many qb's. How can you say that Skelton could not be our QBOF when you look at the crap that Manning did his first year? Next year will be the tail of the tape, but unfortunately he will probably be relegated to the bench behind Kolb again because of that big contract.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I posted this because we have so many haters of our young qb, Skelton. If you look at his stats and annualize them for 16 games, he would have similar stats to Manning over 3000 yrds and 22 or 23 td and 27 or 28 ints. The Colt team could not have been any worse than the Cardinal team that played the first half of the season. Now the improvement that Peyton made the second year was nothing less than phenomonal, I would not expect to see that from very many qb's. How can you say that Skelton could not be our QBOF when you look at the crap that Manning did his first year? Next year will be the tail of the tape, but unfortunately he will probably be relegated to the bench behind Kolb again because of that big contract.

But this is Skelton's 2nd season.

:devil:

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I posted this because we have so many haters of our young qb, Kolb. If you look at his stats and annualize them for 16 games, he would have better stats to Manning over 3000 yrds and 22 or 23 td and 27 or 28 ints. The Colt team could not have been any worse than the Cardinal team that played the first half of the season. Now the improvement that Peyton made the second year was nothing less than phenomonal, I would not expect to see that from very many qb's. How can you say that Kolb could not be our QBOF when you look at the crap that Manning did his first year?

And using this logic, the above statement would be equally true, as well. I think both QBs have shown a lot of potential and should continue to be developed.

Last edited:

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm liking Skelton more and more, but any comparison to Peyton is a real stretch. Their minds are wired in a different way.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I wouldn't want him. I think he'll end up having some kind of neck injury :D.

PrescottLooie

Registered
Reaction score
DJ, Skelton like Kolb didn't have the off season to work.

I'm really looking forward to seeing both Kolb AND Skelton next year. I think we should be in pretty good shape with these guys.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And using this logic, the above statement would be equally true, as well. I think both QBs have shown a lot of potential and should continue to be developed.

Comparisons of Skelton to Manning are off base, but the continued attempts to compare Kolb to rookies is downright laughable. If after 5 years in the NFL Kolb is still a "rookie" in his development then he is either terrible or stupid. So, find some other excuse for Kolb's play, because calling him a rookie just makes him look worse.

OP
OP
L

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Actually, I was not comparing Manning and Skelton. The point that I was trying to make was that each had horrible first years. The progress that Manning showed in his second year was phenomonal. I just hope that Skelton can make a large leap in his progress on reading the opposing defenses. The second year is usually where you see large incremental improvements in young qb's.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Actually, I was not comparing Manning and Skelton. The point that I was trying to make was that each had horrible first years. The progress that Manning showed in his second year was phenomonal. I just hope that Skelton can make a large leap in his progress on reading the opposing defenses. The second year is usually where you see large incremental improvements in young qb's.
Skelton has progressed in a lot of areas this year. He also took two safeties in the same quarter five weeks ago. I hope you're right about him taking the next couple of steps, but I still wonder if the ceiling of his football IQ will prevent him from ever being an above-average starter.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
DJ, Skelton like Kolb didn't have the off season to work.

I'm really looking forward to seeing both Kolb AND Skelton next year. I think we should be in pretty good shape with these guys.

But this is the 15th week of the season. The Cards have been practicing for 4.5 months and have played 17 games including preseason.

The Arizona Cardinals will report to Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff on July 30 to begin their 2010 training camp.
The first practice is scheduled for Saturday, July 31, and the team will break camp on Aug. 21

The Arizona Cardinals will open their 2011 training camp this Thursday, July 28 when players report to the Cardinals training facility in Tempe.

I'm not buying the shortened off season excuse.

Now Skelator did miss time with an injury. That would be a legitimate reason he would be behind but still not as untrained as a rookie right out of College.

Last edited:

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Comparisons of Skelton to Manning are off base, but the continued attempts to compare Kolb to rookies is downright laughable. If after 5 years in the NFL Kolb is still a "rookie" in his development then he is either terrible or stupid. So, find some other excuse for Kolb's play, because calling him a rookie just makes him look worse.

I wasn't trying to compare Kolb to a rookie, just point out that the logic being used (take QB X's stats, extrapolate them over 16 starts, and compare them to Peyton Manning's first 16 starts) could equally be applied to both Skelton and Kolb to reach the same conclusion the OP was trying to make. The comparisons to Manning, or even Manning's rookie season, are obviously a bit of a stretch - but I do agree with the underlying premise that both QBs have shown enough promise to keep developing -- but obviously a direct comparison to either with one of the all-time greats is not appropriate and OP said that wasn't his intention.

And don't even bother replying to this, because we all know your opinion and I'm not interested in getting into this any further with you.

Last edited:

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
Manning actually showed the potential in his first year with 3700 yards and 26 TDs. Better analogies would be Aikman and Elway in their first years.

OP
OP
L

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Unlike many young qb's, I would say that Skelton with the assistance of the defense saved the headcoach's buns. Pulled them out of the fire and they are just roasting at a fair distance from the fire presently. It is a shame that the offense cannot tick like the defense is beginning to show.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unlike many young qb's, I would say that Skelton with the assistance of the defense saved the headcoach's buns. Pulled them out of the fire and they are just roasting at a fair distance from the fire presently. It is a shame that the offense cannot tick like the defense is beginning to show.

Good job by whiz and company coaching up Skelton!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Incredible that the Cards are 4-1 over the last 5 games while committing 13 turnovers.

Hopefully that propensity to turn the ball over on offense won't bite them in the rear over the next 3 weeks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard