With the 8th pick in the NFL Draft......

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PFF just put out their mock and it is:

Burrow
Young
Okudah
Wills
Tua
Thomas
Espensa

Cards take Wirfs and pass on

Brown
Lamb
Jeudy
Simmons

taken in that order

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
After Jeudy's performance against Michigan, I can't imagine him being available at pick 8. Very impressive in every way.
Some context is required with Jeudy's bowl performance. It was against Michigan's secondary which is not a very good unit.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Anyone going to Vegas for the draft?
I'll certainly be there. I'd really like to get an actual seat, but I don't know what the process is. Someone mentioned a lottery for fans, but none of the searches I did this weekend turned anything up. I signed up for more information, but that's all I got.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thing with Epenesa is that he’s just not a pass-rusher, he’s really good in the run game as well.

I don’t think he is. In a 3-4(which is basically a 4-2-5 nowadays) he can play the 4 & 5. Only difference he wouldn’t have to stand up as much. He’s not super twitchy, but he’s so damn powerful & it makes no sense.

I’m just getting tired of Chandler having to do damn near everything for us.
USA Today had its first mock today - Epenesa to Cards at #8.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
PFF just put out their mock and it is:

Burrow
Young
Okudah
Wills
Tua
Thomas
Espensa

Cards take Wirfs and pass on

Brown
Lamb
Jeudy
Simmons

taken in that order

I would be very disappointed if we went with Espensa over those 4 other players. I would put him in play if we trade down, but to me there are much better players available at #8 that also fill bigger needs.

I would go Simmons, Jeudy, Brown, Lamb....in that order of preference

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It will be a big mistake to take a RT at #8 when there are athletic difference makers available.

of course, Im assuming DJ returns to man the LT position.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It will be a big mistake to take a RT at #8 when there are athletic difference makers available.

I would just love, for once, to have a difference maker on the OL. Whatever position. No Arizona Cardinals offensive lineman has ever been All-Pro, and Iupati is the only one to make the Pro Bowl (once) in over 20 years. Before that, Lomas Brown made it once in '96, and you have to dig into the 80s for Luis Sharpe making it more than once.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll certainly be there. I'd really like to get an actual seat, but I don't know what the process is. Someone mentioned a lottery for fans, but none of the searches I did this weekend turned anything up. I signed up for more information, but that's all I got.

I am going to reach out to my Cardinals rep and see if they will have tickets available for season ticket holders

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drafting Wirfs would make a world of difference.

Justin Murray will locking his man down for 2-3 seconds.

Now imagine Wirfs adding 3 more seconds to that.

That would make a WORLD of difference.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am good with Wirfs, Thomas, Lamb, Simmons, Brown

Not sure why I am not higher on Jeudy but I am not.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some context is required with Jeudy's bowl performance. It was against Michigan's secondary which is not a very good unit.

That's true it's also the first time I've seen them this year where he wasn't routinely doubled. The 85 yarder I think was zone not really sure but he basically outran one guy. There's a few plays he was clearly doubled but it didn't seem like a regular thing. I think they decided we don't want to double him and let the other guys kill us and instead, he killed them.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am good with Wirfs, Thomas, Lamb, Simmons, Brown

Not sure why I am not higher on Jeudy but I am not.

A friend of mine who's a big Rams fan says Jeudy reminds him of ex Ram WR Torry Holt, I think largely because of the route running but for someone like me who's a huge Jeudy fan that was an eye opener.

I read an article yesterday where they talked about how the freshman year all of Jeudy, Ruggs and Smith were frustrated because Hurts was targetting Ridley all the time and ignoring the freshmen. In the NC game Saban switched to Tua and he started throwing to the freshmen, because he'd been working with them all year on the 2nd team and had much more rapport with them than Hurts did. One of the comments in the article was how all year people were hearing how Bama's backup QB lit up the starting DB's in practice, and he said while the coaches all knew Tua was for real and would eventually beat out Hurts, they also said one of the biggest reasons for that was the 3 freshmen WR's he was working with were all so good. Actually made me do a double take if they were that good, and the coaches knew it, why did they let Hurts favor Ridley all year?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
A friend of mine who's a big Rams fan says Jeudy reminds him of ex Ram WR Torry Holt, I think largely because of the route running but for someone like me who's a huge Jeudy fan that was an eye opener.

I read an article yesterday where they talked about how the freshman year all of Jeudy, Ruggs and Smith were frustrated because Hurts was targetting Ridley all the time and ignoring the freshmen. In the NC game Saban switched to Tua and he started throwing to the freshmen, because he'd been working with them all year on the 2nd team and had much more rapport with them than Hurts did. One of the comments in the article was how all year people were hearing how Bama's backup QB lit up the starting DB's in practice, and he said while the coaches all knew Tua was for real and would eventually beat out Hurts, they also said one of the biggest reasons for that was the 3 freshmen WR's he was working with were all so good. Actually made me do a double take if they were that good, and the coaches knew it, why did they let Hurts favor Ridley all year?
Hmm if he’s Torry holt that makes a difference to me. Holt was always a guy who i couldn’t quite pinpoint why he was so good. Not Fitz hands, not blazing speed, not giant stature, but just awesome. If holt comparison holds up, I’m game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm if he’s Torry holt that makes a difference to me. Holt was always a guy who i couldn’t quite pinpoint why he was so good. Not Fitz hands, not blazing speed, not giant stature, but just awesome. If holt comparison holds up, I’m game.

To be clear that was HIS comparison I'm not even remotely suggesting he'll be that good. 920 catches, 74 TD's if Jeudy is even 60% of that good he'll be great. 84 catches for 7 TD's a year on average, over 13k yards in 11 seasons, Holt is an all time great although you have to allow for the era and rules changes that made it easier.

I do agree though Holt is one of those guys who was much better than you would expect based on his size, speed etc, considered one of the best route runners of the last 25 years.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be clear that was HIS comparison I'm not even remotely suggesting he'll be that good. 920 catches, 74 TD's if Jeudy is even 60% of that good he'll be great. 84 catches for 7 TD's a year on average, over 13k yards in 11 seasons, Holt is an all time great although you have to allow for the era and rules changes that made it easier.

I do agree though Holt is one of those guys who was much better than you would expect based on his size, speed etc, considered one of the best route runners of the last 25 years.
With our luck, Keim will take Jerry’s brother, Barry in the 7th round and he’ll remind us all of Terry Holt for the next four years.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If we do free agency correctly, there are a bunch of good options.

Andrew Thomas - T
Tristan Wirfs - T
Derrick Brown - DT
Chase Thomas - OLB
Isaiah Simmons - ILB
Jerry Okudah - CB

All are studs and physical freaks at their respective positions. All help our team. What I will say is that OT isn't great in round 2. DT is worse with Marvin Wilson going back to school. ILB is weak. CB is really strong but Okudah looks special. Same for Thomas.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
@DVontel Could Epenesa be comparable to a Watt type of player? I don’t watch any college ball except the Devils and obviously highlight videos are just that. But watching his was really eye opening.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Holt was more Cris Carter than Fitz. He could contort his body and stab balls with one hand. He overtook Isaac Bruce as the #1 receiver by year two... He was great.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Agreed.

Last years draft had solid OT's taken into the 3rd round...this years is even more stocked with talent IMO. It also helps that we are probably looking for a RT vs LT.

It all depends on how the top 7 picks fall and how the Cards view the two WR's (lots of WR talent in this draft as well).

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
If we do free agency correctly, there are a bunch of good options.

Andrew Thomas - T
Tristan Wirfs - T
Derrick Brown - DT
Chase Thomas - OLB
Isaiah Simmons - ILB
Jerry Okudah - CB

All are studs and physical freaks at their respective positions. All help our team. What I will say is that OT isn't great in round 2. DT is worse with Marvin Wilson going back to school. ILB is weak. CB is really strong but Okudah looks special. Same for Thomas.
You lost me with " if we do FA correctly" since we still have Keim lol

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Here are some more things to consider at #8.

re: Tristan Wirfs. I am fairly comfortable saying that most on this board, given his availability, would be interested in signing Brandon Scherff in free agency. What needs to be considered is that Scherff was drafted #5 overall to be a RT for the Redskins. 5 years later, people are willing to pay him 12mil+ to be a RG. Even if Wirfs fails at RT (which I don't believe he will) he has the ability to kick inside to RG and be a difference maker there as well. His paths to abject failure are fairly limited and he protects the most valuable piece of our franchise. Wirfs at 8 is 2020.

Also...while taking a RT in round 1 has not traditionally been a move that was considered smart, take into account that Lane Johnson, Mike McGlinchy, Jack Conklin, Bryan Bulaga, and Ryan Ramczyk are all RTs who were drafted in round 1 and have had pretty solid careers so far.

When considering Derrick Brown...the best interior linemen in the league play between 65% and 75% of defensive snaps. The best OL, ILB, and CB all play 90%+. When valuing a player at #8, are you prepared to lose out on 15% to 20% of on field snaps because of the position played?

In terms of dollars saved, currently there are 15 players at the EDGE designation whose contracts average over 14mil per year. Other positional considerations, 8 DT/DE(3-4), 4 ILB/OLB(4-3), 5 CBs, and 6 OL. Hitting on a first round pass rusher and/or DL player provides you the best rookie contract value out of these groups.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
@DVontel

So far this is the mock through the mock draft machine that I like best with the holes on our roster.

1-Tristan Wirfs - OT (fills hole at RT. awesome athlete)
2-Jalen Raegor - WR (deep threat vertically. plays outside.)
3-Darrell Taylor - EDGE (long player on the outside. athlete who needs polish)
4-Jordan Elliott - DL (personally I don't think he is here, but another physical beast who needs to refine his game)
6-Lamical Perine - RB (1 cut back with great vision and good size. i really like Perine and think he will find his way into a starter role in the NFL. good vision. tough. willing.)

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@DVontel

So far this is the mock through the mock draft machine that I like best with the holes on our roster.

1-Tristan Wirfs - OT (fills hole at RT. awesome athlete)
2-Jalen Raegor - WR (deep threat vertically. plays outside.)
3-Darrell Taylor - EDGE (long player on the outside. athlete who needs polish)
4-Jordan Elliott - DL (personally I don't think he is here, but another physical beast who needs to refine his game)
6-Lamical Perine - RB (1 cut back with great vision and good size. i really like Perine and think he will find his way into a starter role in the NFL. good vision. tough. willing.)
I love it. Though I would probably switch out Jordan Elliot with an athletic ILB like Justin Strnad.