Wisconsin @ ASU

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Some of us D-Backs fans are UofA fans as well, so we don't see it that way, naturally.

;)

True, but this state as a whole is so snake-bit when it comes to being on the wrong side of these kinds of events, it has to be a little cathartic to see a local team benefit for once.

TJ

Reaction score
True, but this state as a whole is so snake-bit when it comes to being on the wrong side of these kinds of events, it has to be a little cathartic to see a local team benefit for once.

Let's level the playing field and give those breaks to the Suns, Cards, Yotes, and/or D-Backs to keep all happy. ASU's break doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

TJ

Reaction score
Fair enough. But he royally screwed himself by GETTING BACK UP and trying to place the ball himself. Absolutely should have stayed down. That's on him.

There were mistakes made on all ends of that debacle:

Wisconsin--for the QB to not hand the ball to the officials.

Officials--for not taking the ball in a pressure situation and repositioning it in a timely fashion, no matter if the QB put the ball on the ground himself.

ASU--for diving on the ball after the play was blown dead. They could've been called for delay of game.

No matter how you slice it, it was a debacle of epic proportions, which led to a Wisconsin loss and referees punished by the PAC.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Wisconsin has no right to cry about that last play. The fact that they were even there was a gift from the officials.

On the catch and run that set that up the reciever ran out of bounds twice. They should never have been down there in the first place.

Joel Stave is the LAST QB I would want running a 2 minute offense. He's only good at handing the ball off.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There were mistakes made on all ends of that debacle:

Wisconsin--for the QB to not hand the ball to the officials.

Officials--for not taking the ball in a pressure situation and repositioning it in a timely fashion, no matter if the QB put the ball on the ground himself.

ASU--for diving on the ball after the play was blown dead. They could've been called for delay of game.

No matter how you slice it, it was a debacle of epic proportions, which led to a Wisconsin loss and referees punished by the PAC.

I just don't see that one. The ball was laying on the ground. The ref had not touched it or placed it. Everyone was just standing around. The players had not seen the knee, all they saw was the qb lay it down.

That is what any coach wants them to do.

The real issue is that WI thought they had called timeout. There was no urgency to line up and spike the ball until they noticed that the clock was continuing to run. In that situations, refs simply do not grant the time out asked for.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was payback for the WI game in Madison.

Also as others alluded to, in regards the WR running down the sidelines at the end, if he was called out of bounds by the officials, the call would not have been over turned because of inconclusiveness. So the call to have him inbounds was a judgment call. ASU fans were irate that we got the bad end of that call.

So, IMO, the disaster on the final play was due justice.

Go Devils.

:sparky::sparky::sparky::sparky:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just don't see that one. The ball was laying on the ground. The ref had not touched it or placed it. Everyone was just standing around. The players had not seen the knee, all they saw was the qb lay it down.

That is what any coach wants them to do.

The real issue is that WI thought they had called timeout. There was no urgency to line up and spike the ball until they noticed that the clock was continuing to run. In that situations, refs simply do not grant the time out asked for.

Quoting myself here. After reviewing the tape from a different angle, I am not sure timeout was called.

It is odd how the qb went down and up so quickly, while taking a knee. It is hard to catch in real time except from the end zone camera.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wisconsin wasn't ready to snap the ball anyway, it didn't look like one guy out of the 11 was aware that the clock was running.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quoting myself here. After reviewing the tape from a different angle, I am not sure timeout was called.

I don't think Wisconsin had a timeout or they would have used it. Also Wisconsin did not play like time was running out... no sense of urgency in lining up. Maybe they forgot they didn't have a timeout until the very end.

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score

The whistle had been blown seconds prior to ASU trying to collect the football off the ground; hence, any attempt to touch or move the ball prior to the next play, especially in a pressure situation in which every tenth of a second was crucial, would be delaying the progress of the game.

Again, the officials blew that ending royally. They were reprimanded, and rightfully so.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Great win, what an atmosphere on Saturday night. No apologies here, the better team won.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great win, what an atmosphere on Saturday night. No apologies here, the better team won.

No doubt. ASU should've had wisc way down and the game over well before the last few seconds.

Yes, Wisconsin got hosed on the last play. These things happen, and if you are on the side fortunate enough to get the "W" you take it and never apologize for it. In spite of the last play, ASU "deserved" the win based on the entire game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems Coach Graham feels as I do about Deandre Lewis. See tweet from Doug Haller.

Doug Haller ‏@DougHaller 7h

Graham: Impressed with Deantre Lewis through two games. Says he could be a big factor moving forward.

This kid is a fast and elusive running back. He gives the Sun Devils a breakaway threat. They need to get the ball to him more often. Taking nothing away from Grice.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
The whistle had been blown seconds prior to ASU trying to collect the football off the ground; hence, any attempt to touch or move the ball prior to the next play, especially in a pressure situation in which every tenth of a second was crucial, would be delaying the progress of the game.

Again, the officials blew that ending royally. They were reprimanded, and rightfully so.

for the 51 yard play where he clearly stepped out of bounds? It all evens out, Karma. ASU wins.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It seems Coach Graham feels as I do about Deandre Lewis. See tweet from Doug Haller.

This kid is a fast and elusive running back. He gives the Sun Devils a breakaway threat. They need to get the ball to him more often. Taking nothing away from Grice.

Lewis has looked like his old self, although it seems like Foster has been kind of quiet. Hope he has a big game against Stanford.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
No doubt. ASU should've had wisc way down and the game over well before the last few seconds.

Yes, Wisconsin got hosed on the last play. These things happen, and if you are on the side fortunate enough to get the "W" you take it and never apologize for it. In spite of the last play, ASU "deserved" the win based on the entire game.

No kidding. How many times over the years have we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory? About time we get a break.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lewis has looked like his old self, although it seems like Foster has been kind of quiet. Hope he has a big game against Stanford.

Likewise. Foster did have 69 receiving yards and 27 rushing yards. Not bad. The Sun Devils need to have their running backs play receiver. Smith dropped a lot of balls.

HooverDam

Reaction score

Just feels like DJ hasnt gotten many rushing opportunities, he's been good in the pass game though.

I hate the Robert Nelson Jr and Marion Grice kickoff return tandem. I don't want to risk Grice or Nelson getting hurt, nor do either of them strike me as classic returners.

I feel like DJ Foster and Deantre Lewis make much more sense back their. They're light, speedy, shifty guys that can carry the rock. It also helps keep both of them involved and hopefully satisfied since carries are being split 3 ways.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
You have to remember that from his vantage point, he really had no idea what had happened. Neither did coach Graham. Here are the issues that complicated this.

1. Anderson played with fire in the last few seconds. Too many things can happen when you are trying to center the ball. He got greedy and he knew it. He knew it was primarily his own fault for not spiking the ball and kicking the fg.

2. The qb took a knee and bounced up so quickly, along with being bumped by his own lineman, that no one on the field sideline, or in the press box saw it. The only person that saw it was the referee.

3. The qb laid the ball on the field instead of giving it to the ref.

4. The referee had some difficulty with getting the ASU player off the ball because the QB was in his face arguing.

5. The umpire did not see the kneel, he could not have, so for all he knew the ball had been fumbled. He was trying to sort that out in his mind.

6. The defensive players did the right thing. If there is a remote possibility that it is a fumble, you jump on the ball. You could argue that the whistle had blown, but at the end of the game with all that noise, whistles are sometimes hard to hear, the ref had not placed the ball, it was just laying there.

7. Wisconsin had no time outs. For the refs to stop play in order to set the ball would be calling a virtual time out for Wisconsin. As long as the ball is reasonably set, no stop in play should be called.

8. No one was looking at the clock as events occured, so they could not know when the qb took a knee, be even then, the clock is not supposed to stop.

9. The reason that the WI team was not being urgent was they thought they had called time, and the clock was not running. They were not granted a timeout that they did not have.

10. The WI players were not looking at the clock. If they had jumped up to the line and got in position to snap the ball, they might have been able to do so.

11. I have no explanation for the ref holding up his hand. Even then, they only lost about a second and the WI qb was not paying attention and was not in position at that moment to take a snap even if the umpire had not held up his hand. There would have not been enough time for a spike which requires 3 seconds by regulation I believe.

The refs probably should have taken their time at the end of the game, reviewed the play, and came up with an answer. But I think the ref consultant for ESPN said that the play was not reviewable.

Since none of them could look at a replay, they just let events stand.

The WI coach made mistakes, the WI qb made mistakes, the WI offense did not pay attention to the clock, the refs made mistakes.

The only group on that field at that moment that were not making mistakes was the ASU defense. If I am a coach, I want my player to jump on that ball every time.

Good breakdown. If I was a UW fan I would focus on the coaching mistakes as well as Stave's "self-spot". What was he thinking? Seriously, did he think he was helping the officials? Wiscy coach swears they practice that scenario all the time, I would be very concerned about their performance given that they had game-planned for this scenario. But the fans from Wisconsin choose to focus on the ref's share of the blame only.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
From MMQB today:

I could not shut up about this exact quote Saturday night. Thanks for digging it up. Bruce Arians is a really smart coach, his experience shows. It is almost creepy that that article was written the week of this ASU-Wisc.

Still not sure why you would ever want to give a defender the opportunity to interfere with a win. But the bottom line is just like the game, there were many factors (Wisc QB, O-line, ASU DT, refs) that handled the end poorly. To only blame one party and hand the UW coaching staff a free pass is ridiculous. If Wisconsin fans want to go that route fine, but I sure would be pissed at CTG if it went down like that for us.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They didn't switch schemes. They added a four-down linemen look to beef up their power game. They felt they had to install it with all the power running teams they will face this year.

They showed some 40 look last year, but it was really a 30 scheme with Carl Bradford putting his hand down in the 9 technique. It was essentially the same defense the Giants used with Lawrence Taylor, with Bradford in the LT role. This year's 40 has two tackles, but with Sutton often lining up directly over the center (0). It's a technique that traditionally is manned by 350 lbs. man-beasts who plug both both gaps with sheer strength and girth. It's not a technique that allows a lineman to get up field or takes advantage of speed. That's not Sutton. It didn't look great to me the few times they showed it against Sacramental State (i.e. the first drive). I can't imagine it looking any better against Wisconsin.

Sutton is really a 3-gap tackle playing a 1-gap position in the base defense, so he's already undermanned. Putting him at the 0 negates most of the good stuff he brings to the table, IMO.

You must be registered for see images

Gad, what was your take on the schemes that the D Line and Sutton used against Wisconsin and how effective they were? I was too stressed out to notice what was going on in the trenches, though it looked like Hood was freed up and made a lot of plays.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard