Wisconsin @ ASU

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well Wisconsin arrives tomorrow to get a bit of practice time in the heat. I don't think those white jerseys are going to help much. http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090913aac.html

This should be a great game as the ASU defense will be put to the test. I think we will be able to put points on the board and move the ball. Hopefully the D will hold up.

Prediction time:

ASU 31
Wisconsin 24

Go out on a limb and post your prediction. We'll see who gets closest to the actual score

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hoping for a great game! Classic power (Wisc) vs. speed (ASU) matchup. Can ASU's front 7 hold up against the 300+ pounders on the Wisc o-line?? Can ASU's speed dominate?? Can ASU's offense control the ball and keep the Wisconsin offense (more importantly the ASU defense) off the field??

A win for ASU will launch them into serious Rose Bowl conversation. A loss would relly hurt, particularly given the balance of the schedule...

I'll go out on the limb and say that speed and the Arizona heat will be too much for the big guys from Wisconsin... Late 3rd quarter and into the 4th, we should hopefully see ASU tempo begin to take a toll on Wisconsin.

I'll go with a 31 - 24 victory for ASU... :eek:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be a tough test for the ASU defense as I understand Wisconsin has a couple of big RBs with good speed.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Will Sutton spends the night in the 1 technique, Wisconsin may never find the end zone until it doesn't matter. If Sutton spends the night in the 0 technique, Wisconsin could put up 40 points before the 3rd quarter.

Curious how this develops. I hate ASU's new 40 defensive scheme. They don't have the personnel for it. They need to bust gaps and penetrate, get up field.

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Will Sutton spends the night in the 1 technique, Wisconsin may never find the end zone until it doesn't matter. If Sutton spends the night in the 0 technique, Wisconsin could put up 40 points before the 3rd quarter.

Curious how this develops. I hate ASU's new 40 defensive scheme. They don't have the personnel for it. They need to bust gaps and penetrate, get up field.

I didn't realize they switched defensive schemes. Seems like last year they mixed it up quite a bit.

Could you explain the "0" and the "1", this former DB has no clue you mean there.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
So excited for this game!

ASU really needs this one as the next two will be tough.

ASU 35
Wisconsin 31

I think both teams are able to run the ball and take up huge chunks of time with long drives. Go Devils!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize they switched defensive schemes. Seems like last year they mixed it up quite a bit.

Could you explain the "0" and the "1", this former DB has no clue you mean there.

They didn't switch schemes. They added a four-down linemen look to beef up their power game. They felt they had to install it with all the power running teams they will face this year.

They showed some 40 look last year, but it was really a 30 scheme with Carl Bradford putting his hand down in the 9 technique. It was essentially the same defense the Giants used with Lawrence Taylor, with Bradford in the LT role. This year's 40 has two tackles, but with Sutton often lining up directly over the center (0). It's a technique that traditionally is manned by 350 lbs. man-beasts who plug both both gaps with sheer strength and girth. It's not a technique that allows a lineman to get up field or takes advantage of speed. That's not Sutton. It didn't look great to me the few times they showed it against Sacramental State (i.e. the first drive). I can't imagine it looking any better against Wisconsin.

Sutton is really a 3-gap tackle playing a 1-gap position in the base defense, so he's already undermanned. Putting him at the 0 negates most of the good stuff he brings to the table, IMO.

You must be registered for see images

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Anyone else catch Graham on Doug & Wolf this morning? Wow... just WOW!
I really, really like the guy - a lot! I'd suit up and play for him right now! Great, down to earch, humble dude who seems to connect with the pure essence of the game and how to best motivate his team.
His illustration of what it's like in The Tillman Tunnel just before they take the field gave me goosebumps...
He was transparent and quickly mentioned (he didn't have to as he wasn't specifically asked) his life as a child growing up in a fatherless home. He did so as he was discussing what the game of football means to him. Quite touching to say the least. One of the best quick radio interviews I have heard in a very long time, if not ever.

Man o MAN would it be awesome if they went on and beat Wisconsin!!!

:sparky:

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really, really like the guy - a lot! I'd suit up and play for him right now! Great, down to earch, humble dude who seems to connect with the pure essence of the game and how to best motivate his team.
His illustration of what it's like in The Tillman Tunnel just before they take the field gave me goosebumps...
He was transparent and quickly mentioned (he didn't have to as he wasn't specifically asked) his life as a child growing up in a fatherless home. He did so as he was discussing what the game of football means to him. Quite touching to say the least. One of the best quick radio interviews I have heard in a very long time, if not ever.

:koolaid:

Always wanted to use that!

Seriously though, I like Graham too. I think a lot of people are holding off on complimenting him though until they see how long he sticks around. With his wife's parents living in the Phoenix area, I don't see them going anywhere. Imagine being a coach's wife living in PA or WV away from your family? I think he will be sticking around for years.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
:koolaid:

Always wanted to use that!

Seriously though, I like Graham too. I think a lot of people are holding off on complimenting him though until they see how long he sticks around. With his wife's parents living in the Phoenix area, I don't see them going anywhere. Imagine being a coach's wife living in PA or WV away from your family? I think he will be sticking around for years.

Hope so... though, the demise in Austin could bring offers to his door-step... I hope not!

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So far, the switch to new coach Gary Andersen's 3-4 defense is going well. The Badgers have mauled Massachusetts and taken down FCS team Tennessee Tech, allowing opponents to cross the midfield just four times in 25 drives.

The dominant Badgers have accumulated some impressive defensive stats. First in total defense, allowing just 162.5 yards per game. Eighth in pass defense (91 yards) and 12th in rush defense (72 yards). All this without recording a sack, too.
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/09/12/2780862/no-20-wisconsin-readies-for-sun.html

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

I really don't believe we can pull much from those two games... The talent levels just aren't there.
However, nobody would play down just how physical and talented Wisconsin is on both sides of the ball.
On defense they are big, tough and athletic! They are inexperienced in their secondary however... I am hopeful our team speed on offense can win out and sustain drives with minimal 3 and outs!

Arguably the biggest advantage for Wisconsin comes with their offense against our defense.
Their line is big - much bigger than our defensive front. They are also athletic...
They have 3 RB's that are all game-changers, perhaps the best 3 in the entire country. Wisky will look to ground out their attack and keep the ASU defense on the field for as long as possible.

So the key for me will be our defense... Can they somehow stop the Wisky rushing attack - enough, to get their defense off the field - enough, to all Kelley and the offense to beat up and wear down the Wisky defense...

It's truly a classic ground & pound versus speed matchup... Should be a great one!!

HooverDam

Reaction score
It's truly a classic ground & pound versus speed matchup... Should be a great one!!

Indeed. And Ill take speed every time. "You can't hit what you can't see" after all.

I think ASU could potentially blow this game open. If ASU scores first, and gets a stop and scores again, it could really screw with Wisconsin. I don't expect this game to be a blow out, I think it'll be close (Wiscy almost never gets blown out)....but I do see the possibility for ASU to really pull away. We don't know if Wisconsin can score in a hurry or not and if they end up having to pass a lot, it could be feasting day for Sutton, Bradford, Onyeali, et al.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Indeed. And Ill take speed every time. "You can't hit what you can't see" after all.

I think ASU could potentially blow this game open. If ASU scores first, and gets a stop and scores again, it could really screw with Wisconsin. I don't expect this game to be a blow out, I think it'll be close (Wiscy almost never gets blown out)....but I do see the possibility for ASU to really pull away. We don't know if Wisconsin can score in a hurry or not and if they end up having to pass a lot, it could be feasting day for Sutton, Bradford, Onyeali, et al.

I can't see us blowing out Wisky... because I honestly can't see how we will dominate them when we are on defense. I love our defense, but they're small... Combined with those 3 backs that Wisky alternates, each of whom are legit game-breakers... I'm just not seeing that.

I really believe it will come down to the very last possession or two. A turnover or costly penalty can very easily decide this game...

HooverDam

Reaction score
I can't see us blowing out Wisky... because I honestly can't see how we will dominate them when we are on defense. I love our defense, but they're small... Combined with those 3 backs that Wisky alternates, each of whom are legit game-breakers... I'm just not seeing that.

I really believe it will come down to the very last possession or two. A turnover or costly penalty can very easily decide this game...

I agree, I think thats most likely. But I just meant I won't be shocked by ASU pulling away.

If ASU jumps out to 14-0 or 21-0 type leads, that means you theoretically have to worry less about Wiscy's RBs and you force them to pass. That would be the ideal scenario. But of course thats dependent on ASUs run D being super stout early on, which is far from a given.

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So is it "Wisky". or "Wiscy"?

You guys really need to get this worked out before kickoff.

snowthedirtbub

Veteran
Reaction score

When they talk about the Tillman Tunnel I've seen it mentioned numerous times about having former players on the side. When they say this are they talking about murals or actual real life former players? From the pictures I've seen I haven't seen any murals besides or an area for them to stand.

But yea cool interview, seems like a straight shooter.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
When they talk about the Tillman Tunnel I've seen it mentioned numerous times about having former players on the side. When they say this are they talking about murals or actual real life former players? From the pictures I've seen I haven't seen any murals besides or an area for them to stand.

But yea cool interview, seems like a straight shooter.

Graham invites al former players who are in attendance for the game to come into Tillman Tunnel and line up along the sides. They are part of the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

At the time of those stats, ASU was second in total defense, right behind Wisconsin, based on their one game with Sacramental State.

Both teams were very vanilla with their sisters of the poor opponents. Absolutely no clue what to expect from this game. Neither does ASU. They've been analyzing Utah State film to prepare for UW.

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like I am in business tonight. No cable TV at home, but I am in San Luis Obispo and the hotel sure has ESPN. Should be a great game. Go ASU!