Wisconsin @ ASU

asudevil83

Reaction score
There is a replay on YouTube. The qb clearly took a knee but his lineman bumped him causing him to stand. He then placed the ball down.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Clear enough because in college FB, the QB can simply simulate a kneel down. Doesn't necessarily have to go all the way down.

After reporters chop this one up, the refs are going to get evicerated.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the articles tomorrow. Probably won't settle anything, but it'll be fun.

Maybe they can have Mike Pereira do a special segment before tomorrow's games.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There's a reason it's called "taking a knee" on "kneel down". Also no QB in their right mind just sets the ball on the ground - when have you ever seen that?? They always give it to the ref.

QB botched the whole play.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Clear enough because in college FB, the QB can simply simulate a kneel down. Doesn't necessarily have to go all the way down.

:biglaugh:

Please show me the "Simulate a Knee" in the rule book.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the articles tomorrow. Probably won't settle anything, but it'll be fun.

Maybe they can have Mike Pereira do a special segment before tomorrow's games.

It reminds me of the play towards the end of the Giants-Cards game a couple of years ago. Is really too much to ask of a player that, if they intend to give themselves up, lay on the ground and hold the football?

To me, both plays should be fumbles. Neither the Giants WR or the Badger QB was down by the rules of the NFL or NCAA.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Please show me the "Simulate a Knee" in the rule book.

ok

The 2011 and 2012 NCAA Rules state in Rule 4, Section 1, Article 3(o): "A live ball becomes dead and an official shall sound his whistle or declare it dead … When a ball carrier simulates placing his knee on the ground."[3] The same rule is used by the British American Football Association.[4]

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
It reminds me of the play towards the end of the Giants-Cards game a couple of years ago. Is really too much to ask of a player that, if they intend to give themselves up, lay on the ground and hold the football?

To me, both plays should be fumbles. Neither the Giants WR or the Badger QB was down by the rules of the NFL or NCAA.

The whole "give yourself up" concept should be banned. NCAA and NFL. It just leads to confusion.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Stupid rule. Put your knee down. Why is that so hard?

Wide receivers should use this rule when they can't quite land in bounds after leaping for a ball. "But I simulated it!"

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Quote:
The 2011 and 2012 NCAA Rules state in Rule 4, Section 1, Article 3(o): "A live ball becomes dead and an official shall sound his whistle or declare it dead … When a ball carrier simulates placing his knee on the ground."[3] The same rule is used by the British American Football Association.[4]

First..... It's 2013.
Second.... The official didn't declare it dead.
Third.... who cares about the British American Football Association?
Fourth..... Shouldn't you be worried about what happens when UofA plays a real team?
Fifth.... TERRITORIAL CUP!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year UofA beat ranked teams without controversy.. Double digits.. ASU needs extra help. haha.. No respect..

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year UofA beat ranked teams without controversy.. Double digits.. ASU needs extra help. haha.. No respect..

And last year ASU beat au without controversy. Your point?

I guess you have to still try to brag about last season when you've beaten nobody worth a cup of warm spit this year. Even if it was a season when you endured a choke job against ASU in your own stadium.

Last edited:

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

And last tear ASU retained the Territorial Cup. Major respect!

Come back when you got something.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Quote:

First..... It's 2013.
Second.... The official didn't declare it dead.
Third.... who cares about the British American Football Association?
Fourth..... Shouldn't you be worried about what happens when UofA plays a real team?
Fifth.... TERRITORIAL CUP!

That's the rule, dude. Argue the merits or application of said rule; don't argue whether or not it is a rule.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And last tear ASU retained the Territorial Cup. Major respect!

Come back when you got something.

I think we both know.. When one of our teams has a chance to go to a major bowl the other takes it away.. Not surprising.. So prepare for it.. If anyone gives you respect for this game..

HooverDam

Reaction score
1. UWs receiver was out twice on the long play that set UW up. You can't say they took the game from you after they nearly have it to you.

2. After the crazy play where he kneeled or didn't, when he spiked it they were in a illegal formation, which would've resulted in a 10 second runoff.

So the did he or didn't he knew thing isn't really the only issue.

Did the refs do a bad job? Yes. Do PAC 12 refs always do badly? Yes. Did the ASU guys do the right thing by falling on the ball? Yes.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Maybe they can compromise by moving the ball back 25 yards and allowing Wisconsin a field goal try to win the game.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we both know.. When one of our teams has a chance to go to a major bowl the other takes it away.. Not surprising.. So prepare for it.. If anyone gives you respect for this game..

What the hell? No one goes to a "major" bowl that is 7-4. We beat you and at 7-5 you went to one lame bowl instead of another.

Damn. I cannot tell any of my friends who are SEC friends about this thread. They already think ASU and ua football is a joke.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Especially in the NCAA, where you're down without contact unlike in the NFL. Makes no sense to vaguely give yourself up when you can just fall down. Or actually take a knee.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

End of the day it goes down in the books as a win whether you respect it or not.

You mean like the Rose Bowl the Bowl UofA has never been to?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When did ASU play Auburn? And what does that have to do with UofA?

arizona university. Tucson's college doesn't deserve capital letters, just like their town didn't deserve the state capital.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
End of the day it goes down in the books as a win whether you respect it or not.

You mean like the Rose Bowl the Bowl UofA has never been to?

Apparently cat box fans think the Sun Bowl is "major".

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now we're talking smack!!!

I'll be damned if I'm going to bother with the "shift" key and the word "of" for that school. :D

All ASU fans should join me!