Will Drafting Murray Set Him Up For Failure?

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Say the cards do draft him #1 overall. Has there ever been a QB taken #1 that won’t be the immediate darling of the fans? He will come here knowing at least half the fan base would have rather stayed with the QB that was drafted last year in the 1st round. I just don’t see how this additional pressure plus what some in the locker room might be feeling help him in any way possible. If the cards trade rosen and he is a success next year and the cards sputter fans will have an even sour taste in their mouth when it comes to Murray. Pretty hard to succeed and be the face of the franchise when the people who sell out the stadium will always be dreaming of the ex gf and the one who got away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Being the saivior of a franchise is lots of pressure. I dont think murray will handle it as well as Rosen has

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Say the cards do draft him #1 overall. Has there ever been a QB taken #1 that won’t be the immediate darling of the fans? He will come here knowing at least half the fan base would have rather stayed with the QB that was drafted last year in the 1st round. I just don’t see how this additional pressure plus what some in the locker room might be feeling help him in any way possible. If the cards trade rosen and he is a success next year and the cards sputter fans will have an even sour taste in their mouth when it comes to Murray. Pretty hard to succeed and be the face of the franchise when the people who sell out the stadium will always be dreaming of the ex gf and the one who got away.

Not even a Murray fan, but it's laughable to think there's a contingent that's so supportive of Rosen that they wouldn't embrace the guy as our starter and the hope of the future.

Now, I do see what you're saying about the team sputtering and sentiment changing really fast, but that's not exclusively a Murray problem. It's a very real possibility for a team that is on the cusp of making some historically insane moves that will be either game changing, or one of the worst offseasons of all time.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Not even a Murray fan, but it's laughable to think there's a contingent that's so supportive of Rosen that they wouldn't embrace the guy as our starter and the hope of the future.

Now, I do see what you're saying about the team sputtering and sentiment changing really fast, but that's not exclusively a Murray problem. It's a very real possibility for a team that is on the cusp of making some historically insane moves that will be either game changing, or one of the worst offseasons of all time.

I don’t think it’s not supporting more than not wanting a guy in the first place. If half the fans don’t want him and would rather keep rosen then that means his favor with the fans will be on a very short leash. He will already be on the platform needing to impress fans to support him rather than them supporting him already and him given time to figure it out. A move like this if it doesn’t pan out could ruin a franchise for a very long time and in turn lose fans especially younger ones who are going to be in love with LA for however long that lasts.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A perfect recipe for a baseball switcharoo

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The subject of Murray or Rosen is polarizing. Rosen is the safe decision but the unknown intagibles with Murray is very intriguing, and can’t be dismissed. Do you play it safe and have an adequate starter with Rosen or call your shot and go for it all with Murray, damn the torpedos.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The subject of Murray or Rosen is polarizing. Rosen is the safe decision but the unknown intagibles with Murray is very intriguing, and can’t be dismissed. Do you play it safe and have an adequate starter with Rosen or call your shot and go for it all with Murray, damn the torpedos.

Bet the farm. I like Rosen, I really do, but my gut says he will generate about the same amount of success as Andy Dalton (show enough flashes to be a starter year in and year out, yet never lead the team to be a legitimate championship contender).

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Bet the farm. I like Rosen, I really do, but my gut says he will generate about the same amount of success as Andy Dalton (show enough flashes to be a starter year in and year out, yet never lead the team to be a legitimate championship contender).
Legitimate question here... you wouldn't rather be in the discussion year to year, maybe counting on a few balls bouncing your way, than take a Hail Mary where you're looking at five years of basement play?

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You’re right that is THE question in play. I’ve seen too many bad and below average seasons, and a very small handful of good to great ones. I would be fine taking Murray and hope it works out and he elevates this team with his ability for several years. If it doesn’t we just start over which is our history.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I don't because Dalton does not have the arm strength of Rosen, and that's what limits him. Rosen's potential is a Matt Ryan or a Eli Manning which is more than sufficient to win a championship if you have a stout defense :)

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
To go to single A? He's giving back the signing bonus and the As will still control his rights.

He signed a MLB deal so he would be making good coin on a small salary club. He would have the chance if he plays good to join the big leagues for the sept call ups

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He signed a MLB deal so he would be making good coin on a small salary club. He would have the chance if he plays good to join the big leagues for the sept call ups

A chance...not guaranteed.

Baker Mayfield got $32 million guaranteed.

It would take Murray five years just to get a shot at that kind of money.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
A chance...not guaranteed.

Baker Mayfield got $32 million guaranteed.

It would take Murray five years just to get a shot at that kind of money.

But the upside in baseball is amazing. You can play til your 40 and if you are elite you can make over $400m. No one in football is going to touch that amount of money anytime soon.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think drafting Murray will create more excitement. Let’s face it. Most fans are a bit more casual fans than us goofballs on this site. The hype that will go along with the promotional highlights will have most fans believing the messiah is now our Qb.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s not supporting more than not wanting a guy in the first place. If half the fans don’t want him and would rather keep rosen then that means his favor with the fans will be on a very short leash. He will already be on the platform needing to impress fans to support him rather than them supporting him already and him given time to figure it out. A move like this if it doesn’t pan out could ruin a franchise for a very long time and in turn lose fans especially younger ones who are going to be in love with LA for however long that lasts.

0ut me in the camp of not wanting Murray at all reason one how many years of college ball reason two height whether anyone likes it or not height will be an issue so will his ability to take a hit and number 3 Anyone that doesn't do a full workout at the com one or pro day makes me feel like they are hiding something

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I think drafting Murray will create more excitement. Let’s face it. Most fans are a bit more casual fans than us goofballs on this site. The hype that will go along with the promotional highlights will have most fans believing the messiah is now our Qb.

I think we will more so be looked at like a joke. This won’t be like Cleveland getting Baker none of that hype will come this way.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we will more so be looked at like a joke. This won’t be like Cleveland getting Baker none of that hype will come this way.

I don’t know. Look at the hype this kid is getting by the media and has literally pushed him to the top of the draft and front page headlines. I believe that will carry into the season. I know there will be detractors but they will be in the minority.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But the upside in baseball is amazing. You can play til your 40 and if you are elite you can make over $400m. No one in football is going to touch that amount of money anytime soon.

Yup. All he needs to do is be a generational player like Mike Trout.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
LOL, don't think Murray is reading fan forums...it's ridiculous to think he or any of his team is worried about '1/2 the fans may be against him'

This is a guy whom every year of football Murray has ever played in his life he's finished it in the Championship game...EVERY YEAR!

Worried....yea me thinks not

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

People will really be dreaming about Josh Rosen? i guess that is somewhere of the realm of possibility, but it's not the outcome I would comfortably b

Murray isn't going to get hyped as much as Mayfield? To me, that just doesn't sound like the sports media we all know. They will hype the hell out of him, for better or worse.