Will Drafting Murray Set Him Up For Failure?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The better question is, will drafting Murray set the Cardinals up for failure?
Will playing an NFL schedule set the Cards up for failure?

Will drafting Murray set up Charley Casserly for failure?

Did the signing of Kyle Rote set up Charley Conerly for failure?

Will the signing of Suggs set up AARP for failure?

(Don't mind me, it's pre-draft snark time).

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
People will really be dreaming about Josh Rosen? i guess that is somewhere of the realm of possibility, but it's not the outcome I would comfortably b

Murray isn't going to get hyped as much as Mayfield? To me, that just doesn't sound like the sports media we all know. They will hype the hell out of him, for better or worse.

If rosen gets traded to Washington and leads them to a division title or even worse we trade him to NE and he takes over for TB. If that happens cards fans will def be wishing for Rosen same way us passing on AP still gets brought up on this forum over 10 years later.

First off Baker was a way bigger personality than Murray is. Also it’s the cardinals we aren’t getting hype no matter what unless we are good. They will not be doing nightly segments on Murray in TC on ESPN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see it now....Cardinals vs Patriots in the super bowl Murray vs Rosen...what a story line!!!

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
I think drafting Murray will create more excitement. Let’s face it. Most fans are a bit more casual fans than us goofballs on this site. The hype that will go along with the promotional highlights will have most fans believing the messiah is now our Qb.
Until he fails then its Abandon ship just as fast as it was with Rosen

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, can u be so nice to give me six numbers for the lottery

Why can`t his prediction be just as right as you Murray backers seem to think yours will be?Are you Murrays fans the only ones who predict the future?

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wonder if it weren't for the (untested) coach we hired and his praise of Murray how many on this board would still be getting all worked up in a lather over the guy?

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Legitimate question here... you wouldn't rather be in the discussion year to year, maybe counting on a few balls bouncing your way, than take a Hail Mary where you're looking at five years of basement play?

As another coach in town would say, “you play to win the game”...And by game I mean Super Bowl.

Don’t get me wrong I’d rather us be a wildcard team every year than a basement dweller. But I don’t fully buy the idea drafting Murray is a “Hail Mary” play in light of the fact we went 3–13 with Rosen.

IMO, the only scenario that could possibly make sense to not draft Murray is by acquiring picks 4, 24, & 27 from Oakland and banking on the hope that 4 picks in the top 33 plus Rosen will equal more value.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
As another coach in town would say, “you play to win the game”...And by game I mean Super Bowl.

Don’t get me wrong I’d rather us be a wildcard team every year than a basement dweller. But I don’t fully buy the idea drafting Murray is a “Hail Mary” play in light of the fact we went 3–13 with Rosen.

IMO, the only scenario that could possibly make sense to not draft Murray is by acquiring picks 4, 24, & 27 from Oakland and banking on the hope that 4 picks in the top 33 plus Rosen will equal more value.
We went 3-13 with Rosen... and haven't really done much to improve talent on either side of the ball. Maybe a little. But meh, I just don't see how Murray is this transformative player.

Not much else to say about it at this point, you think it makes "sense" to draft Murray, and I see a guy that pretty no one else is sold on short of setting him at the top for their mock drafts, since we're about to make a risky as hell decision.

I genuinely think picking him will be considered the worst football move in Cardinals history. I hope I'm proven wrong.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We went 3-13 with Rosen... and haven't really done much to improve talent on either side of the ball. Maybe a little. But meh, I just don't see how Murray is this transformative player.

Not much else to say about it at this point, you think it makes "sense" to draft Murray, and I see a guy that pretty no one else is sold on short of setting him at the top for their mock drafts, since we're about to make a risky as hell decision.

I genuinely think picking him will be considered the worst football move in Cardinals history. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Obviously last year was not all on Rosen...But man he didn’t help his cause. He finished with the worst qb rating of any starting qb. (Again, I know, O-Line sucked, coaching sucked, receivers sucked)

But we wouldn’t even be having a conversation about drafting Murray if his play had been slightly more consistent. What’s alarming is that after his first start against Seattle he literally regressed throughout the course of the season.

Just as many argue that players of Murray’s stature rarely succeed in the NFL, I think the same can be said of rookie quarterbacks who have a Peyton Manning-esque rookie season...Rarely do they go on to have a hall of fame career.

I’m in no way pushing the agenda that Murray couldn’t end up as a bust, because he very well could. I simply think is potential and upside is worth the risk.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score

Look at the first years of Aikman, Manning, Elway and Young. All looked as bad if not worse than Rosen in their first year. I’m not ready to give up because of a 3-13 year on a team that had no offensive direction and horrible coaching. That’s not even talking about the lack of talent around him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson