Who will be the "Surprise Cuts" that won't make the final 53?

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I'm pretty interested in this little nugget from MJ.

Granted, he was speculating. But, he usually does so with a wee bit of insight.

AZ1766

Veteran
Reaction score
My first guess is mayeb wakefield... he is a fan favorite, but there is a lot of competition for the DE position this year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZ1766
My first guess is mayeb wakefield... he is a fan favorite, but there is a lot of competition for the DE position this year.

If Fred Wakefield really is a "fan favorite," that's exactly what is wrong with the Arizona market and Arizona sports fans.

BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

Registered
Reaction score
kerouac9, there's no way Jason Mc Addley does'nt make our roster this year. He showed alot of promise & I expect him to contribute more this year..jmo

Jim O

Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9
If Fred Wakefield really is a "fan favorite," that's exactly what is wrong with the Arizona market and Arizona sports fans.

I would think that you would have to investigate the meaning of "fan favorite". I am sure that if you asked a handful of people why a certain player is a fan favorite, you would get some different answers.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by bigdaddy_redbird
kerouac9, there's no way Jason Mc Addley does'nt make our roster this year. He showed alot of promise & I expect him to contribute more this year..jmo

Did you read the ESPN Insider article that listed the "Hands of Glue/Hands of Stone" analysis of WRs in 2002? Jason McAddley had the 2nd worst hands in the league, behind only Marcus Robinson, dropping something like over 25% of the passes sent his way.

The only thing that I know about Jason McAddley is that his lady yelled "that's my daddy" or something when he catches the ball (I sat next to the players' wives section during games). He hasn't shown me anything, and only got onto the field because the other five (!) WRs were injured. Sounds like he has a stranglehold on a job. The only people who seem to think he is a lock to be on the roster are some of the folks on this board.

If the Cards were so high on him, I suspect that they wouldn't have spent three draft picks (including a first and second rounder) on WRs.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Well, I know my dad likes him because he plays hard all the time even though he isn't the most talented player....unlike a David Boston and his 10 drops last year (many of them in 3rd down situations).

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surprise? cuts: My guess

1. WR Kevin Kasper - small, slower than advertized, not needed on kickoffs any more.

2. K Bill Grammatica - he's lost 8 to 10 lbs but Tim Duncan will beat him out if Duncan's kickoffs have straightened out.

3. RB Travis Prentice - a total bust.

4. C Jason Starkey - good guy, smart, too small.

5. CB Michael Stone - McGinnis finally admits his mistake in drafting athletic ability over play-making.

6. MLB Michael Young - Gerald Hayes is better.

marshallrider

Rookie
Reaction score
Did you read the ESPN Insider article that listed the "Hands of Glue/Hands of Stone" analysis of WRs in 2002? Jason McAddley had the 2nd worst hands in the league, behind only Marcus Robinson, dropping something like over 25% of the passes sent his way.

Sounds like an interesting article....do you happen to have a link to it?
I also agree on your McCaddley take!

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
would anyone be surprised with these Projected cuts? -

thomas Jones

Nate Poole

Jake Soliday

Ronald McKinnon (does mgt like all the fast/young/athletic/cheap LBs?)

Michael Stone

Grammatica

Dishman ?

Wakefield

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jkf296
would anyone be surprised with these Projected cuts? -

thomas Jones

Nate Poole

Jake Soliday

Ronald McKinnon (does mgt like all the fast/young/athletic/cheap LBs?)

Michael Stone

Grammatica

Dishman ?

Wakefield

I wish that were true about McKinnon - although I think he's a warrior, he just doesn't cut it -not with our D-Line - but didn't he just get a contract extension? Everyone else on that list should be gone IMO though - although didn't Wakefield just get a contract extension? What the hell were they doing giving contract extensions to those guys? I know they are hard workers and add depth, but personally I'd like to see a little more speed and ability and raw talent as far as depth goes - although you coul make the argument that Stone fits the above - so - yeesh - I don't know

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by marshallrider
Sounds like an interesting article....do you happen to have a link to it?
I also agree on your McCaddley take!

I hate to post Insider articles, because you have to buy the service. I can't find the link anymore... Sorry.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The only thing that I know about Jason McAddley is that his lady yelled "that's my daddy" or something when he catches the ball (I sat next to the players' wives section during games). He hasn't shown me anything, and only got onto the field because the other five (!) WRs were injured. Sounds like he has a stranglehold on a job. The only people who seem to think he is a lock to be on the roster are some of the folks on this board.

If the Cards were so high on him, I suspect that they wouldn't have spent three draft picks (including a first and second rounder) on WRs.

True, but he also played a portion of the year with an injury. He hurt his arm and was playing with a hard cast on it. There were at least 2 passes where the ball literally bounced off the cast. He also played several games with a badly bruised bicep which limited his ability to bend his arm.

He MAY have bad hands but we don't know from last year he was playing hurt and playing with a QB who couldn't get the ball too him when he got open.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
He MAY have bad hands but we don't know from last year he was playing hurt and playing with a QB who couldn't get the ball too him when he got open.

No one makes that excuse for DB. Or TJ.

marshallrider

Rookie
Reaction score
1. WR Kevin Kasper - small, slower than advertized, not needed on kickoffs any more

6'0" 195lbs............I don't see that being very small.....he is not a really big WR but I don't see him being small.
Go look at the list of receivers in the league and compare his size with everyone else!

All that Kasper did for AZ last year was come in not knowing anything about the team or the system and starting at receiver catching every ball thrown at him and scoring 3 TD's and making Plummer look great, and becoming the teams primary receiver to end the season, and performing well as a KR.......etc, etc, etc.

I think the only thing Kasper doesn't have going for him is the color of his skin.

McCaddley made some nice catches when he first got his shot at some playing time but once he settled in, so did all the drops. He dropped almost everything that was thrown to him and he had a shi*load of balls thrown his way.

Gilmore has 1 catch going into what....his 4th year......and he is still injured. He is said to have speed but there are a lot of people with speed who can't perform on the field! I think Gilmore should be sent packing!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by marshallrider
Gilmore has 1 catch going into what....his 4th year......and he is still injured. He is said to have speed but there are a lot of people with speed who can't perform on the field! I think Gilmore should be sent packing!

If anything, being white gives you an edge in this market...

That being said, Gilmore has a ton going for him, most prominently that the O.C. loves him. You've never seen him play, do you want to send away the next Marvin Harrison?

marshallrider

Rookie
Reaction score
Gilmore has a ton going for him, most prominently that the O.C. loves him. You've never seen him play, do you want to send away the next Marvin Harrison?

who has seen him play....the dude has done nothing in the NFL thus far except catch one ball...there is not much to see!

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
McAddley also played in a pass ******** offense at 'Bama. He's still learning. Give the guy a couple of years and he'll be a solid #2.

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
Unfortunately I think Ronnie MacK's days are numbered. I really like him, but with the young LB corps we have, it may cost him.

Jurecki says that (take it for what its worth) Darling has shown promise and may push McKinnon out of the starting role.

We'll see. I think he is a good locker room guy.

pinnacle

Reaction score
for better or worse...I think we will honor mckinnons contract...kind of like we did for frank sanders - overpaid...but frank was more overpaid than mckinnon. I think we extended 3 guys contracts last season: mckinnon, wakefield and shipp...and we agreed to tanners during the season but did not execute it till after due to a technicality (or something)...I think it was ok to extend all of these guys..because you could argue that they are being paid low starter to backup veteran money..but mckinnon and wakefield could be at risk to be cut..shipp will clearly not be cut..and tanner is the only 350 lbs of ass tackle we have on the roster - and it is a weak position - so he is not at risk either...

Northern Card

All Star
Reaction score
I guess the operative word in this thread is "surprise"... and I will be quite surprised if any - oh! perhaps Young - of the players mentioned so far, are cut...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one makes that excuse for DB. Or TJ.

DB should never have had to go 'cold turkey' from doing blow, who can think about catching a ball when you're jonesing?

TJ's best punch is his left hook, that SOB in the bar ducked it making him break his right hand.

Stupid #$#%#@ Cardinals!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard