Surprise Cuts?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We seem to do a lot of guessing on who will make the team, but less on players who won't make the team. I'd like to hear a player or two who the experts have on the final roster, and yet, ended up being cut. I have two that just about everyone has on the '53', that I think might fall into the Surprise Cut category:
1. Leki Fotu.
2. Devon Kennard.

P.S. Did not include AI, because either way, he won't be a surprise.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Fotu or Kennard played any PS snaps which generally indicates they are a lock.

I can't think of any outside McSorley maybe for Guarantano? McSorley has some talent but is clearly limited past 15 yards. May opt for potential Guarantano upside.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Fotu or Kennard played any PS snaps which generally indicates they are a lock.

I can't think of any outside McSorley maybe for Guarantano? McSorley has some talent but is clearly limited past 15 yards. May opt for potential Guarantano upside.
Kennard def played in pre season

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Kennard has never played well (since we signed him) - really a waste of a roster spot IMO. Horrible contract that has held us hostage but maybe the restructuring helps us cut him loose now?

Reactions: PJ1

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
We seem to do a lot of guessing on who will make the team, but less on players who won't make the team. I'd like to hear a player or two who the experts have on the final roster, and yet, ended up being cut. I have two that just about everyone has on the '53', that I think might fall into the Surprise Cut category:
1. Leki Fotu.
2. Devon Kennard.

P.S. Did not include AI, because either way, he won't be a surprise.
no

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very thin - agreed.

Kennard has 3 sacks in the last two seasons (28 games). I would hope we can replace that with someone...anyone?

Maybe rush Simmons in Kennard's packages...we would see a significant increase in production.
Absolutely. Save money in the process.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Very thin - agreed.

Kennard has 3 sacks in the last two seasons (28 games). I would hope we can replace that with someone...anyone?

Maybe rush Simmons in Kennard's packages...we would see a significant increase in production.

How many starts, and what was he asked to do?

Context matters. In Detroit, he was part of their rush package and delivered. Let's see how they intend to use him this season because he isn't going anywhere.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not expecting any major surprises. Tough decisions with RB’s & WR’s, but whatever decisions we make won’t be total surprises.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You 'absolutely' lose money in the process. Check his contract.
Looks like they mutually agreed to reduce his salary to league minimum for 2022 which is final year of contract. Although the cap hit would be 3.6M due to previous restructure and prorated signing bonus. Would have been 9.1M had they not renegotiated. Being that they did all of this I would agree he will probably not be cut.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Looks like they mutually agreed to reduce his salary to league minimum for 2022 which is final year of contract. Although the cap hit would be 3.6M due to previous restructure and prorated signing bonus. Would have been 9.1M had they not renegotiated. Being that they did all of this I would agree he will probably not be cut.

That's his Cap hit, but cutting him now is a $4.8m accelerated 'dead' money hit.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Kenard, if he gets cut, will probably go to another team and flourish. Ala, Dvondre Campbell. He was worthless in Arizona and is now ranked 43 in the top 100.

Bill Davis is a LB career killer of a coach.
People complain about Zaven Collins and Simmons. Davis has severely stunted their careers and productivity.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kenard, if he gets cut, will probably go to another team and flourish. Ala, Dvondre Campbell. He was worthless in Arizona and is now ranked 43 in the top 100.

Bill Davis is a LB career killer of a coach.
People complain about Zaven Collins and Simmons. Davis has severely stunted their careers and productivity.
Dvondre Campbell was not worthless in AZ.

Bill Davis doesn't decide how a defensive coordinator is going to use a player.

And how anyone would believe that a coach who is 'stunting' the growth of TWO first-round picks would still be on the job is beyond me.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Dvondre Campbell was not worthless in AZ.

Bill Davis doesn't decide how a defensive coordinator is going to use a player.

And how anyone would believe that a coach who is 'stunting' the growth of TWO first-round picks would still be on the job is beyond me.
That’s the million dollar question. How is he still on the job?

Are you happy with the development/ play of the LB’s?

Who’s coaching the LB’s? It’s not hard to put 2 and 2 together.

On Campbell, he was just a guy in AZ. He’s been very good everywhere else. Bill Davis effect.

Last edited:

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s the million dollar question. How is he still on the job?

Are you happy with the development/ play of the LB’s?

Who’s coaching the LB’s? It’s not hard to put 2 and 2 together.

On Campbell, he was just a guy in AZ. He’s been very good everywhere else. Bill Davis effect.
Not really surprising he is still coaching. I mean they just extended Keim and KK for five years. Lol…..

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe eno gets cut? Look I like he is a former sundevil but with all camp hype he sure didn't produce much in preseason...
If he wasn’t an ASU alum nobody in this #birdcity would care and be calling for him to be cut.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson