Who do you want?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okobo shows flashes, I like what ive seen here and there. There's no language barrier, the guys speaks very well btw.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. I hope he’s just at least competent. Give some hope.

I think Okobo will have his ups and downs as a rookie but I would rather give the minutes to him than the Suns overpay for a veteran point.

If the Suns can get a veteran point guard for a reasonable price, I'm fine with it but not at the cost of valuable future assets. A second round pick would be fine.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't get the "inexperienced coach" stuff. Sure, Igor hasn't been a head coach in the NBA before but he has been a head coach for international teams and the top assistant for multiple successful NBA coaches. It seems like some people would prefer a Terry Porter type of coach simply because he's been a head coach before. When it comes to coaches who have been head coaches elsewhere then you need to figure out why they were fired from their previous position. It's not like there were multiple experienced head coaches available this past offseason.

An inexperienced head coach would be tweaking the starting 5 and rotations a lot already even though we're 5 games into the season. Some players might be in a slump, some might not have their timing down, and others are still learning to play with each other. Shuffling the starting 5 every game would be something an inexperienced coach would do 5 games into the season, or 3 games into the season actually since that's when some people started calling for changes.
I think an “inexperienced” coach would be more hesitant to make rotation changes especially ones which lead to fewer mins for veteran players.

There is somewhat of a perception that rookie HCs usually are afraid of upsetting the veteran players even if detrimental to the team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nah. I think Igor has a little bit of the Euro coaching philosophy in him. Gives the older players the minutes and makes the younger players earn it. I am fine with the concept, but not when the younger players clearly are better or when the older players are just not good.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think Okobo will have his ups and downs as a rookie but I would rather give the minutes to him than the Suns overpay for a veteran point.

If the Suns can get a veteran point guard for a reasonable price, I'm fine with it but not at the cost of valuable future assets. A second round pick would be fine.

The stars of our team are a 22-year old and a 19-year old at Shooting Guard (who is determined to become a superstar) and Center (who is showing signs of the same).

And we have no facilitator worthy of starting on any NBA team, which presses our determined superstar into duty as Point Guard as well when he returns from injury.

I think that our #1 priority -- #1 -- at this time is procuring a veteran facilitator to get the most out of Booker and Ayton and put them in a positive frame of mind.

I suggest that the Suns not overpaying for a veteran point ("reasonable price") hardly matches that priority. Plodding along as we are and have been would ruin the states of mind of Booker and Ayton.

When you have a future superstar, then finally get the #1 pick (and a Center, at that), you don't chince on a Point Guard. Then, hopefully over time, the Suns figure out the mess at the two Forward positions, which are generally the lesser priorities.

I would hope that the ownership group (minus a General Manager) stops counting their millions for a few moments and instruct their temporaries to make it happen. The turnovers call for it.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
The stars of our team are a 22-year old and a 19-year old at Shooting Guard (who is determined to become a superstar) and Center (who is showing signs of the same).

And we have no facilitator worthy of starting on any NBA team, which presses our determined superstar into duty as Point Guard as well when he returns from injury.

I think that our #1 priority -- #1 -- at this time is procuring a veteran facilitator to get the most out of Booker and Ayton and put them in a positive frame of mind.

I suggest that the Suns not overpaying for a veteran point ("reasonable price") hardly matches that priority. Plodding along as we are and have been would ruin the states of mind of Booker and Ayton.

When you have a future superstar, then finally get the #1 pick (and a Center, at that), you don't chince on a Point Guard. Then, hopefully over time, the Suns figure out the mess at the two Forward positions, which are generally the lesser priorities.

I would hope that the ownership group (minus a General Manager) stops counting their millions for a few moments and instruct their temporaries to make it happen. The turnovers call for it.

This, the suns are going to have to overpay whether in FA or trade 1. because we are desperate and everyone knows it 2. because we are a losing franchise 3. because we can.

The key is to make sure you overpay for the right guy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure we are disagreeing here as we both do not want the Suns to overpay for a veteran point guard who would be a stopgap. If the Suns can get a veteran point guard to smooth the transition for something like a 2nd round pick, I'm fine with it.

Maybe where we differ a bit, if Okobo proves to be a better point guard than Canaan, I'm all for giving him the opportunity to start.

Perhaps at the trade deadline the Suns might be able to trade for a PGOTF but it might be better to wait until this coming summer.

How cool would it be if Okobo turned out to be the PGOTF and the Suns could turn their attention to fixing the power forward position and backup center.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure we are disagreeing here as we both do not want the Suns to overpay for a veteran point guard who would be a stopgap. If the Suns can get a veteran point guard to smooth the transition for something like a 2nd round pick, I'm fine with it.

Maybe where we differ a bit, if Okobo proves to be a better point guard than Canaan, I'm all for giving him the opportunity to start.

Perhaps at the trade deadline the Suns might be able to trade for a PGOTF but it might be better to wait until this coming summer.

How cool would it be if Okobo turned out to be the PGOTF and the Suns could turn their attention to fixing the power forward position and backup center.
Okobo would be ideal as he would fit the "timeline" better than anyone on the trade market because he is 21 years old. If he pans out I would love for PHX to draft Bol Bol next year as he has the makings of a 3 & D PF (hopefully) and would compliment Ayton in that he wouldn't clog up the lane as he is more perimeter oriented at this point due to his current lack of strength.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okobo would be ideal as he would fit the "timeline" better than anyone on the trade market because he is 21 years old. If he pans out I would love for PHX to draft Bol Bol next year as he has the makings of a 3 & D PF (hopefully) and would compliment Ayton in that he wouldn't clog up the lane as he is more perimeter oriented at this point due to his current lack of strength.

I'm not familiar with Bol Bol but I agree addressing the power forward position is right up there with the need to fill the point guard position.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sadly. The perfect power forward along side Ayton is the player that Dragan Bender should be.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sadly. The perfect power forward along side Ayton is the player that Dragan Bender should be.
So true. A mobile 7 footer with 3 point range, ballhandling skills and a good defender. If he was only more confident he could likely be that guy. He doesn’t need to excel at any of those aspects, just be competent. Which I don’t think is asking too much. We don’t need him to be an all star. But his lack of confidence just kills all his size and skill.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So true. A mobile 7 footer with 3 point range, ballhandling skills and a good defender. If he was only more confident he could likely be that guy. He doesn’t need to excel at any of those aspects, just be competent. Which I don’t think is asking too much. We don’t need him to be an all star. But his lack of confidence just kills all his size and skill.
Its why I would extend him, even though it does not make sense for a host of other reasons. I just seems to me the Suns HAVE to find a way to bring him out.

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or that Marquese Chriss could be with the right coaching and point guard.

No. Chriss might legit have the lowest basketball IQ I've ever seen. Chriss was horrible there's a reason he's not seeing the court on his second NBA team

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Its why I would extend him, even though it does not make sense for a host of other reasons. I just seems to me the Suns HAVE to find a way to bring him out.
Yeah I feel the same way. He won’t break the bank. He’s still so damn young.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
It would never happen, but Draymond Green at the 4 spot would instantly vault this team into the playoffs with the current roster. He's the ultimate glue guy.

I still hold out some hope that JJ can turn into that kind of player but he's not on the right trajectory for that so far. He needs the leash reined way in on offense IMO.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would never happen, but Draymond Green at the 4 spot would instantly vault this team into the playoffs with the current roster. He's the ultimate glue guy.

I still hold out some hope that JJ can turn into that kind of player but he's not on the right trajectory for that so far. He needs the leash reined way in on offense IMO.
The thing about JJ is that he WAS on that trajectory toward the end of last year. It is in him. He has regressed though, and I don't know why. It might be that with Ariza and Bridges here (as well as Warren) he feels a bit threatened and tries to overcompensate on the court.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

I like Green, but this team is 25 wins away from contending for a playoff spot, and no way is Green a +25 wins player.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Green, but this team is 25 wins away from contending for a playoff spot, and no way is Green a +25 wins player.
I think this team is significantly underperforming at the moment. There is talent here, but its not cohesive yet.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard