Who do you want to acquire at PF

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think our starting line-up needs a quality, natural 4 to be complete. We have the assets to eventually bring one in. The question is: Who? Realistically, who do you want brought in and for what cost? You have JRich's valuable $14,444,443 expiring contract, other fairly priced, mid level contracts, and a piece of the TPE remaining to bring to the table. Who can we get?

I'm looking through rosters and having a hard time figuring it out. Dominant, talented big men are a very rare commodity indeed. I'm starting to understand the premium put on them.

(I have argued against some of the following players. I realize I might sound like I'm flip flopping. I've been looking through the information and have to admit that these players do bring some valuable assets to the table. Apologies in advance, especially to Mojorizen ;))

Troy Murphy - Big guy. 6'11", 245. Has touch from the outside. Would probably work well in our system although I'd prefer a guy that makes more of a living on the inside. Even being perimeter oriented, he is a rebounding monster, averaging 10.2 boards per game last year, accounting for 25.9% of Indiana's defensive rebounding opportunities and 23.2% of their offensive rebounding opportunities when on court. His Rebound Player Rating is 31.3.

Defensively, he is a bit of a disappointment, giving up an average PER of 21.5 to opposing 4's, allowing 23.8 points/48 minutes. At the 5, he gives up an average PER of 24.2 to the opposing players, allowing 23.6 points/48 minutes. These numbers are ugly.

He is scheduled to make $11,968,253 next year and his contract is expiring. We would have to give up JRich to acquire him this season.

Andre Kirilenko - This is where my apology to Mojo is directed. I know, I know. He's another skinny, perimeter oriented, long dude. 6'9", 225. You'll see why I bring him up. Like Murphy, his game would probably be well suited for our system, though I'd prefer more of an inside guy. He's a good shooter and all around skilled. Rebounding, he is not all that great. His RPR is 16.3. Last year, he averaged 4.6 RPG, about 0.16 rebounds per minute. Not very good. To put this in perspective, Amare averaged about 0.26 rebounds per minute last year. However, this is playing alongside a very good rebounder in Carlos Boozer and AK is known for having a nose for the ball. Evidence for this 6th sense can be seen in his blocks, getting about 1.2 per game.

Net production is where I get excited with this guy. At the 4 last year, he averaged a PER of 27.3, with 22.1 points per 48 minutes. Excellent numbers. In contrast, he held the opposing 4 to an average PER of 17.3, with 15.3 points per 48 minutes. That's a net PER difference of +10 at the PF position. Huge production advantage. Still, where's the beef? He can't play the 5 position.

He is scheduled to make $17,823,000 next year. A straight up deal with Jrich would work as, I believe, salaries are within 125%.

Andray Blatche - A bit out of left field and a highly doubtful acquisition, you never know what may become available with this team. Blatche is solid and has good athleticism. 6'11", 248. Surprisingly, he does have an outside shot, averaging about a Kirilenko percentage from 3.

Rebounding, he has a Rebound Player Rating of 24.2. He averaged 6.3 boards in 27.9 minutes last year, about 0.23 per minute. Not quite as good as Amare. Where he is much better is on the defensive end, holding opposing 4's to an average PER of 16.8, 19.8 points per 48 minutes. At the 5, he held opposing players to an average PER of 18.3, 16.4 points/48 minutes.

He is scheduled to make $3,260,331 next season. We could acquire him outright but Washington would 99.999% demand something in return.

Brandon Bass - A bit of a shrimp at 6'8" but wide at 250, this guy is a banger. He has an inside oriented game based on power and athleticism. No perimeter game. He is a good shot blocker with a BR of 5.2. Rebounding, he has an RPR of 20.6. Last season, he averaged about 0.19 per minute.

Defensively, he is a stud at the 4. He held opposing 4's to an average PER of just 13. At the 5 he gets hurt, allowing an average PER of 22.7. His lack of height is a detriment guarding the 5.

He is scheduled to make $4,000,000 next season. We could acquire him outright. This is intriguing because Orlando is so far over the cap that, in the right scenario, they may not ask for much, if anything at all, in return.

Tyrus Thomas - Very high on my wish list after looking at the numbers (count me in Cly). 6'10", 225. Inside oriented player with a game based on power and athleticism, has some major ups. Not much of a perimeter game although he is developing a jump shot.

He has an outstanding BR of 12.9, averaging 1.6 blocks in 22.6 minutes last season.

Rebounding, he has a RPR of 28.6, averaging 0.27 boards per minute. He grabbed 21.7% of his team's defensive rebounding chances while on court. Very good numbers.

Defensively, he gave up an average PER of 20.0 to opposing 4's last season, allowing 17.1 points/48 minutes. Surprisingly, his numbers are better guarding the 5. At the center position, he allowed a PER of only 14.4, just 14.8 points/48 minutes.

He is scheduled to make $6,611,570 next season. Our remaining TPE, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), is 6 million, so that won't cover it. Not that it really matters. Charlotte would be demanding something of value in return 100%. However, this is another one of those teams where you never know what will become available. Ty can be a knucklehead and Larry Brown has little patience for knuckleheads. Also, to add another interesting wrinkle, JRich was a fan favorite in Charlotte, and his contract might be very attractive to an organization that seems to always be in a state of tug of war with their salary cap strategy.

Josh Smith - 6'9", 240. Explosively athletic and powerful. Has inside and outside game, although one of his biggest criticisms is he settles too much outside. Lebron James faces a similar criticism, to put that into perspective.

He has a Block Rating of 9.7, averaging 2.1 last year.

Rebounding, he has an RPR of 25.7, averaging 8.7 boards per game.

Defensively, he gave up an average PER of 19.9 to opposing 4's, allowing 20.1 points/48 minutes. At the 5, he gave up an average PER of 30.8, allowing 26.0 points/48 minutes. At the 3 is where he was best defensively, allowing an opposing PER of only 12.2. They scored 24.4 points/48, but put up a lot of shots to do it, almost 8 more attempts per 48 than opposing players at the 4 spot.

He is scheduled to make $11,600,000 next season. This team has a lot of question marks surrounding it. Signing Joe Johnson to that gigantic contract does not leave them with much financial wiggle room. If good things don't happen next season, the landscape could change dramatically. The problem for us with acquiring Smith is that it would require JRich, but he plays the same position as Joe Johnson. Still, it's possible a 3 team trade could be worked out.

Drew Gooden - All around, journeyman player. Solid, 6'10", 250. An inside guy.

BR of 2.0. Averaged 0.8 blocks in 25.1 minutes per game last year.

Rebounding is where he makes a living, averaging 7.7 in 25.1 minutes. He accounted for 20.6% of his team's defensive rebounding chances and 11.8% of his team's offensive rebounding chances while on court. His RPR is 32.4. That is an excellent Rebound Player Rating.

Defensively, he's not all that, giving up an average PER of 23.0 at the 4 spot, 25.6 points/48 minutes. At the 5, he gave up an average PER of 23.6, 18.0 points/48 minutes.

He's scheduled to make $5,765,000 next season meaning we could acquire him outright.

Charlie Villanueva
- Bit of a disappointment apparently for Detroit last year. 6'11", 232. Inside and outside game.

Block Rating of 4.6

Rebounding, has an RPR of 22.4, averaging about .20 per minute.

Defensively, he held opposing 4's to an average PER of 20.6, opposing 5's to an average PER of 26.1, and opposing 3's to an average PER of 12.9. Apparently, he's more than quick enough to contend with 3's but gets bullied as the boys get bigger.

He's scheduled to make $7,020,000 and Detroit would love to have someone take him off their hands. He would take up more than the TPE but I'm sure the Pistons would be willing to work something out.

Anderson Varejao
- Very high on my wishlist. Big guy but moves well. 6'11", 260. Has no outside game but is a virtual energizer bunny inside.

Block rating of 4.5

RBR of 28.4, averaging about 0.27 rebounds per minute. Good numbers.

Defensively, he allows opposing 4's an average PER of 17.7, opposing 5's an average PER of just 12.3.

Scheduled to make $7,281,818 next season. He would be tough to pry from Cleveland I imagine. Funny, since a little while ago he was considered overpaid. Still, this franchise is in a state of flux. Deals may be had, though, I think this next player is most likely offered up first.

Antawn Jamison - 6'9", 235. Has an outside game and what I'd term a "finesse" inside game.

BR of 2.1.

RBR of 25.0, averaging about 0.23 boards per minute last season.

Defensively, he allowed an average PER of 16.9 at the 4, 18.1 points/48 minutes. At the 3, he allowed a PER of 17.4. At the 5, he allowed an average PER of just 5.6 although opposing teams went after him with more shot attempts here.

He is scheduled to make 13,358,905 next season. I believe Cleveland gives this guy up in a heartbeat. A JRich swap would work nice financially and he plays surprisingly effective defense but he's 34, much older than our ideal guy, and his contract is a bit of an albatross. I'm not sure when it runs out.

David West - 6'9", 240. Has a sweet jumper and can go inside as well, but not considered a beastly banger.

BR of 3.2

RBR of 22.0, averaging 0.21 per minute.

Defensively, displays better numbers than expected. Gives up an average PER of 16.4 to opposing 4's, 19.9 points/48 minutes. Against opposing 5's, gives up an average PER of 18.7, 18.8 points/48. At the 3, he gets smoked and is not worth mentioning.

Next year is scheduled to make $8,287,500. Another one of those franchises that always seems to be in a state of flux. You never know what could become available. If they're willing to trade Chris Paul, which rumor has it is true, you can bet David West is far from untouchable. The sweetest part is it could come cheaply, as they have an aversion to taking on salary. This club's financial woes could be our club's gain.

Elton Brand - 6'9", 254. Inside guy.

BR of 5.5.

RBR of 21.6, averaging about 0.20 boards per minute last season. I fear his days of inhaling rebounds are well behind him.

Defensively, gave up an average PER of 19.2 at the 4, 20.8 points/48. At the 5, he gave up an average PER of 16.0, 15.9 points/48. Surprisingly good numbers.

Scheduled to make $15,959,099 next season, Philadelphia would throw in a reach around to get this deal done, as they've been looking to unload this contract for a long time. JRich for Brand works straight up and you'd have a friend for life in Philadelphia ;).

Luis Scola - 6'9", 245. Slow but a crafty inside player.

BR of 1.6

RBR of 27.9, grabbed 21.4% of his team's defensive rebounding opportunites while on court. Averaged about 0.26 boards per minute.

Defensively, gave up an average PER of 21.1 to opposing 4's, allowing 22.4 points/48. At the 5, he allowed an average PER of 15.5, giving up just 16.8 points/48.

Available for pick-up but would take something enticing for Houston to bite. A nice player to have though a bit slow of foot, would give us some inside grit and craftiness.

Ok there's a few names to consider. Might add a few more. What does everyone think? Who would you want? Feel free to bring someone up that's not listed.

Last edited:

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Varejao would be a good fit. i also like murphy but we'd have take back someone else because arent they over the cap? Bass would be nice if we could get him for free or close to it.

OP
OP
itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In the process of putting this homework assignment together, I was really surprised and impressed with Tyrus Thomas' numbers. Statistically, he is extremely productive, up there with the big boys, but for half the cost. He flies under the radar. Probably has something to do with that thick skull of his but his abilities are tremendous, and exactly what the team is lacking. I think he could make a huge difference. I really feel like he should be a target if at all possible.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
In the process of putting this homework assignment together...
I really appreciate your putting this analysis together.

All it takes is one.

Is there any reason that our FO wouldn't make it happen?

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Nice list. My question is how the player fits? Is this a short term solution or a long term investment?

My interest in KT is based on the fact that he knows the Suns offense and continues to be a great rebounder. Further more, the Bucks (his team last year) have just signed Gooden at PF and already have Ilyasova 0.27 rebounds per minute and 0334 per minute in the playffs and Mbah a Moute at 0.21 per minute. The Sun have a decent shot at getting KT and not have to make a huge offer or overpromise his minutes.

If the Suns are going to trade for someon with longer than a one year contract, the value of J-Rich's expiring contract would be lost. I'd like to keep the potential cap space which a one year deal presents. Some of the people I'd like to consider as free agent's NEXt summer:

Horord - Atlanta RFA
Perkins - Boston RFA
Noah - Chicago RFA
Willcox - Detroit
Murphy - Indiana
David West - New Orleans
Turiaf - New York

I'd love for the Suns to go after Horford. He'd not only be a great pickup, but taking him from the Hawks would be double sweet.

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
Rule 71. of the salary cap FAQ, is that a TPE cannot be combined with an outgoing player in making a trade for a player, nor can it be combined with any other exception. If there is more than one incoming player involved and you could make multiple separate trades using the TPE and other players and/or exceptions, then you can make it all as a single trade.

I'm not too sure that your imagined trades violated this rule but then you never got down to the nitty gritty and it kind of sounded like you wanted to use up the TPE as part of some of the deals.

Trading JRich for the guys who make less than 11.5 mil won't work unless the other team is under the salary cap because they cannot take back more than 125% of the outgoing salary - they'd have to give us cap filler players. In many of the cases the other teams motivation to trade is to dump salary, so the last thing they want it is JRich's contract back.

I'd love to get Josh Smith but who wouldn't. Since JRich makes more that Josh, how would it help them financially to trade for JRich - and a 3rd party stepping in to help would be most improbable.

Scratch Elton Brand and Kirilenko for sure.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I don't want brittle bones AK 47. I want DeAndre Jordan from the clips.

Josh Smith, David West, Varejao, Blatche or Bass would be allright.

Last edited:

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I don't want brittle bones AK 47. I want DeAndre Jordan from the clips.

I don't remember that much about him, but he was drafted after his freshman year and does not appear to be a major contributor. Maybe I missing something, but the Suns already have Lawal and Collins as projects. IMHO, the Suns need a polished veteran.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I browsed over your list(nicely done BTW).
No way to Kirelenko.
My guy has been Troy Murphy since Al Jeff became unavailable.
Realistically, i think Kurt Thomas can be had for cheap and find ways to help our weak front line by doing what he does 15 mpg depending on the matchup at hand.

It would be a shame NOT to add some beef to this very good roster.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope. Not even looking for a pf at this point. The need is backup 5. Let Lawal et al battle it out for time at pf. Now is the time to give the young guys a good look. We arent contending this year anyway.

If you really must look at a pf, find a young Euro or something.

OP
OP
itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really appreciate your putting this analysis together.

All it takes is one.

Is there any reason that our FO wouldn't make it happen?

Thanks. It's nice to have it appreciated :). I was reading another thread that initiated me on this topic. It was about the FO saying something along the lines of "we need a big man. . . we've stockpiled fair priced, mid level contracts to make trades with". So it appears to me that something like this is the plan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I browsed over your list(nicely done BTW).
No way to Kirelenko.
My guy has been Troy Murphy since Al Jeff became unavailable.
Realistically, i think Kurt Thomas can be had for cheap and find ways to help our weak front line by doing what he does 15 mpg depending on the matchup at hand.

It would be a shame NOT to add some beef to this very good roster.

My apology reference was actually meant for you, Mojo, for bringing up stick man Kirilenko after our discussion about no more beanpoles. I mistakenly cited Elindholm instead. My bad. Where's the beef? :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nice list. My question is how the player fits? Is this a short term solution or a long term investment?

My interest in KT is based on the fact that he knows the Suns offense and continues to be a great rebounder. Further more, the Bucks (his team last year) have just signed Gooden at PF and already have Ilyasova 0.27 rebounds per minute and 0334 per minute in the playffs and Mbah a Moute at 0.21 per minute. The Sun have a decent shot at getting KT and not have to make a huge offer or overpromise his minutes.

If the Suns are going to trade for someon with longer than a one year contract, the value of J-Rich's expiring contract would be lost. I'd like to keep the potential cap space which a one year deal presents. Some of the people I'd like to consider as free agent's NEXt summer:

Horord - Atlanta RFA
Perkins - Boston RFA
Noah - Chicago RFA
Willcox - Detroit
Murphy - Indiana
David West - New Orleans
Turiaf - New York

I'd love for the Suns to go after Horford. He'd not only be a great pickup, but taking him from the Hawks would be double sweet.

I agree KT could be a nice pick-up to fill the void at the moment. Horford would be a dream come true. He's a really nice player and fills in a lot of what this team lacks. Glancing over his stats, he's got some excellent numbers, especially defensively. I need to add him to the list.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
We won't get any PF.

We are stacked at the forward spots if you like it or not. We need a backup center in the worst way and the last addition will be someone that can play that position.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Horord - Atlanta RFA
Perkins - Boston RFA
Noah - Chicago RFA
Willcox - Detroit
Murphy - Indiana
David West - New Orleans
Turiaf - New York

Noah will be locked up for the next 5 years or so by the end of summer.

OP
OP
itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We won't get any PF.

We are stacked at the forward spots if you like it or not. We need a backup center in the worst way and the last addition will be someone that can play that position.

We are stacked at the small forward spot, not at power forward. Ideally, we would bring in a guy that could play both the 4 and 5.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we can all agree that:

i) the below is our starting line up:

C Robin Lopez
PF Hedo Turkoglu
SF Grant Hill
SG Jason Richardson
PG Steve Nash

ii) Phoenix is a team that reguarly played Shawn Marion at the 4 in the days of SSOL.

Then Slin is right. Our back up PF, who will be getting regular minutes, is already on the roster. Step on up Hakim Warrick.

Anyone think he won't average at least what he did in his second season with Memphis i.e. 12.7 and 5.1?

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
If we can all agree that:

i) the below is our starting line up:

C Robin Lopez
PF Hedo Turkoglu
SF Grant Hill
SG Jason Richardson
PG Steve Nash

ii) Phoenix is a team that reguarly played Shawn Marion at the 4 in the days of SSOL.

Then Slin is right. Our back up PF, who will be getting regular minutes, is already on the roster. Step on up Hakim Warrick.

Anyone think he won't average at least what he did in his second season with Memphis i.e. 12.7 and 5.1?

In order for him to do that, when Grant comes out instead of Dudley coming in Hedo will slide over to SF and Warrick goes to PF and they will play together. If he's strictly backing up Hedo there won't be enough minutes to put up those stats.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My guess is that's what will happen, which points towards the Phoenix foward spots effectively being manned by committee i.e. no rigid positioning with Turk, Hill and Warrick taking up most of the time and Dudley getting minutes where he can. I appreciate the guy but he is, strictly speaking, a back up noting also that Childress will prob spend time at 3 also.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
We are stacked at the small forward spot, not at power forward. Ideally, we would bring in a guy that could play both the 4 and 5.

Uh no...

Centers - Robin Lopez ...

Power Forwards - Turkoglu, Frye, Warrick, Lawal, Clark, Collins

Small Forwards - Hill, Dudley, Childress, Clark, Turkoglu, Richardson

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Well, you can remove Ty Thomas, Drew Gooden and Louis Scola from any list of potential targets. They all have been signed, therefore can NOT be traded until the mid season trade deadline.

Personally.....IF Collins is a no go, then I'd look at Ike Diogu or KT as a cheap guy and keep J-Rich.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'm thinking if we do get someone, it will be a Kurt Thomas type that can play back up center. Otherwise, we may not do anything right away, and wait to see who becomes available/cheap later on.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Power Forwards - Turkoglu, Frye, Warrick, Lawal, Clark, Collins

i love our PF list. this is what i read when i read that list:

"Power Forwards - Small Forward, Outside shooting/no defense Center, Undersized Power Forward, 2nd round pick, last pick in the draft"

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson