Whisenhunt + Davis = 4 balls short of a set

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Way to piss away yet another game. I am so sick of Whis calling his scared to death to lose offense and okaying prevent defense.

I put this loss squarely on the coaching staff's shoulders and pretty much have no faith in them in close games. At all.

Could someone please post the link to where Larry Fitzgerald got traded? Does anyone know why they brought the playbook from game 1 of 2007? Does the defense know that they're allowed to cover a crossing route?

Horrible, horrible effort by everyone except for Graham and Stephens-Howling. 10 flucking points vs. the awful Titans secondary? Last week I defended Leinart's modest numbers but this week I join those who have doubts.

There is simply no need to pay that kind of money for a backup. He didn't do anything "wrong" but for this offense to have to completely shut down like that in a 100% winnable game is pathetic.

It's very obvious that the only way for this team to win is to score points. A 99 yard drive. Pathetic. These mental midgets must not have realized that this was a must win game. Next week in prime time? Loss. I don't even have to watch. Minnesota will crush this defense and Warner will be pressing and have a horrible game. That's 7-5. Then MNF and a another prime time game vs. a SF team that will beat Seattle next week and be 6-6 and playing for the division. Arizona already has trouble with them and they have continued to show they have no heart so in two weeks, I won't be surprised at all to see the 49ers tied with Arizona at 7-6 with the tie-breaker.

God, what a bunch of pansy-asses.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Are you talking about the Titans defense that was ranked 5th in passing defense in 2007 and 9th in 2008 and is just now back to full strength? Awful? Far from it. The Titans have been playing tough D for years.

In spite of that the Cards had the lead, 99 yard of field, and less than 3 minutes to have to defend it. And they couldn't do it. The offense had nothing to do with this loss. They also had the lead and 98 yards of field and couldn't defend it. Only a lucky fumble by Britt stopped that drive.

Well of course several people will have to post that it was a team loss but the D once again let down with the lead. And that has happened now with both Pendy and Davis as DC.

They simply cannot generate the pass rush necessary to shut teams down once the opponents go to an all out passing attack and they cannot defend the middle of the field and haven't been able to for 20 years.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This loss had less to do with the offensive performance and more to do with defense's inability to cover the flat, hook, and curl zones. Our lack of athleticism at the LB position was on display today, emphasized when Dansby was out.

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
The offense scored 10 points on the currently ranked 30th Titans defense that gave up 13 or more to SF, JAX, HOU & BUF on their current streak. I find it ironic that the 20-17 score is identical to the Houston game because that's what the Cardinals essentially are. A decent team that can't keep up with the big boys. I guess that's why I'm so disappointed, I thought they had improved over last year but there have been just too many games against really bad teams. The stat's are just a mirage.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Whatever.

The Titans are much better today than you're making them out to be on defense, especially healthy at home.

I would of like to see more passes to Fitz but we didn't and I'd say we got our money's worth out of the backup QB spot today, because they were in a position to win the game, ahead with 2 minutes left and leaving the other team needing a TD from 99 yards out.

That's got to be over 80 percent chances of a win, and I just fail to see talking trash on the backup QB out of any of this but I knew someone would try.

The Titans are tough enough if you've had a full week of reps in practice, I'd like to see stats for any QB on a sudden start and see how many points they score it can't be too good.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I guess that I am of the minority, but when you are on the road with your backup QB, facing a team with a 4 game winning streak and you put yourself with the lead at the end of the game you have to count on your defense to win it. You win on the road by running the ball, stopping 3rd/4th down plays and by winning the turnover battle. We failed to run the ball, but more importantly our defense could not make the stop that they needed to make all game. I guess I can't see how this is the offenses fault when our starting QB was a game time scratch and we were playing a tough defensive team on the road. Be pissed about the loss, I am, but you can't put this on the offense.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Way to piss away yet another game. I am so sick of Whis calling his scared to death to lose offense and okaying prevent defense.

I put this loss squarely on the coaching staff's shoulders and pretty much have no faith in them in close games. At all.

Could someone please post the link to where Larry Fitzgerald got traded? Does anyone know why they brought the playbook from game 1 of 2007? Does the defense know that they're allowed to cover a crossing route?

Horrible, horrible effort by everyone except for Graham and Stephens-Howling. 10 flucking points vs. the awful Titans secondary? Last week I defended Leinart's modest numbers but this week I join those who have doubts.

There is simply no need to pay that kind of money for a backup. He didn't do anything "wrong" but for this offense to have to completely shut down like that in a 100% winnable game is pathetic.

It's very obvious that the only way for this team to win is to score points. A 99 yard drive. Pathetic. These mental midgets must not have realized that this was a must win game. Next week in prime time? Loss. I don't even have to watch. Minnesota will crush this defense and Warner will be pressing and have a horrible game. That's 7-5. Then MNF and a another prime time game vs. a SF team that will beat Seattle next week and be 6-6 and playing for the division. Arizona already has trouble with them and they have continued to show they have no heart so in two weeks, I won't be surprised at all to see the 49ers tied with Arizona at 7-6 with the tie-breaker.

This is flame bait, come on man. We're on a different level on this board.

Reaction score

:rolleyes: With Warner not playing, I am surprised you watched at all...

As for the content of your post:

I agree about the overly conservative playcalling when the Cardinals had the lead.

But you are wrong about playing prevent, because they did not! Many times on the last drive the Cards rushed 5 or 6. The reason the Cardinals couldn't stop the Titans last drive; and the Titans zeroed in on it; was Karlos Dansby being out of the game, and the Cardinals poor LB'er depth.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I guess that I am of the minority, but when you are on the road with your backup QB, facing a team with a 4 game winning streak and you put yourself with the lead at the end of the game you have to count on your defense to win it. You win on the road by running the ball, stopping 3rd/4th down plays and by winning the turnover battle. We failed to run the ball, but more importantly our defense could not make the stop that they needed to make all game. I guess I can't see how this is the offenses fault when our starting QB was a game time scratch and we were playing a tough defensive team on the road. Be pissed about the loss, I am, but you can't put this on the offense.

Simply put the offense needed to put more pts. on the board. The Titan D was without Hood and he had been doing well so they weren't 100 percent on D.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Simply put the offense needed to put more pts. on the board. The Titan D was without Hood and he had been doing well so they weren't 100 percent on D.

LOL We had the lead with less than 3 minutes to go and the Titans 99 yards from the winning score. But since we lost I guess you are right the Cards did need to put more points on the board.

Of course you could say that if we lost 42-10 as well.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
You win on the road by running the ball, stopping 3rd/4th down plays and by winning the turnover battle.

That is way old school, Phil. It's a different league now - you have to win by passing and scoring points.

But, in the end, it was the defense that let Titans go 99 yards and convert several 4th downs. :mad:

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
The Titans are much better today than you're making them out to be on defense, especially healthy at home.
Jacksonville - 330 yards, 13 points
SF - 358 yards, 27 points
Buffalo - 296 yards, 17 points
Houston - 340 yards, 17 points
Arizona - 292 yards, 10 points

Looks like this offense is almost as good as Buffalo. In 6 quarters, it's produced...10 points. Playcalling, execution, bad luck...I don't know what the culprit is but it's pathetic.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Our offense played the game that they needed to to get a win, and our defense didn't. Facts are that you can't always score multiple touchdowns in this league, especially without your starting QB. There come times where you have to win ugly and you do that by stopping teams on defense, specifically on 3rd and 4th downs. Championship teams win these games. This was how the Patriots won their Super Bowls. This is how Pittsburgh won their Super Bowls. This is how we lost the Super Bowl last year. This is how we needed to play today to pick up a tough road win and we didn't. For all of our development as a team, we just aren't there yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
With Warner not playing, I am surprised you watched at all...
You're all class.
But you are wrong about playing prevent, because they did not!
So prevent defense is only if the defense does every, single play of a drive? They were dropping deep into coverage for most of the final drive. They blitzed once and got to Young but then blitzed with the same exact play on the next play and gave up yardage so the play calling was still a problem on that final drive.
But, in the end, it was the defense that let Titans go 99 yards and convert several 4th downs.
It was also the defense that gave up 387 yards passing to Vince, freakin' Young. Not to mention the special teams gave them GREAT field position all game long AND they didn't get any turnovers. It wasn't just the last drive that was the problem.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
LOL We had the lead with less than 3 minutes to go and the Titans 99 yards from the winning score. But since we lost I guess you are right the Cards did need to put more points on the board.

Of course you could say that if we lost 42-10 as well.

Stop pointing out reality Duck!!!

This teams neglect to add a outside pass rusher to contribute right now, exposes our biggest flaw, pass defense!!! Same as last season. Throw in a CB who cant play man to man, a SS who cant cover my dead grandmother & suspect nickle men. A recipe for disaster with a game on the line.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Two key plays on the final drive:

1. Batted ball by Campbell -- goes 15 feet in the air and lands in the hands of the only Titan in the area. Bad break for the defense -- and 9 times out of ten that ball is intercepted.

2. First fourth down. McFadden has great coverage but with his back turned. I suspect that there was about a 1 ft square window that ball could fit in, but Young did it. Good play by him.

Finally -- on the second fourth down. I like the full blitz on the preceding third down. I thought that showing it, and then backing out of it would have been a better play.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Stop pointing out reality Duck!!!

This teams neglect to add a outside pass rusher to contribute right now, exposes our biggest flaw, pass defense!!! Same as last season. Throw in a CB who cant play man to man, a SS who cant cover my dead grandmother & suspect nickle men. A recipe for disaster with a game on the line.

Yeah Bucky you have to wonder when your defense just put up what is probably the worst crunch time performance in the history of the NFL, allowing an EIGHTEEN play 99 yard drive for the winning TD with less than 3 to go, TD mind you not FG, and people blame the offense.

The defensive players should get together and send every season ticket holder their money back for that pathetic performance.

Well maybe not. It was Vince Young at QB after all. Maybe we should dig up some of those old UT bumper stickers that said "Vince Young is God" and sell them in Nashville.

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
Quit arguing with each other guys!!! REWatch the game this week on NFL Network and you'll see how hard we played Off Def ST Be proud of the effort!!

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Like their own one and two yard lines? :cool:
The Cardinals special teams gave the Cardinals defense great field position to work with.

I forgot about the Britt fumble though. The defense did manage to do something positive.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Quit arguing with each other guys!!! REWatch the game this week on NFL Network and you'll see how hard we played Off Def ST Be proud of the effort!!

I'd like to Laura but an 18 play 99 yard drive is tough to swallow. Even if it was engineered by a Longhorn legend.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Like it or not this is a disturbing trend for this defense. Whether it ends up a win or not this defense has a knack for falling down with the game on the line. Yes sometimes they made the stop Ex. the goal line stand earlier this year however and the Int in NY. The problem is they do not have the ability to just shutdown an offense when they really need to.

They don't take the offense out behind the woodshed and give them a good whipping. They have them stand in the corner instead.

The pass rush is ineffective and you never know when the blitz will actually get to the QB. They send the house at times and still can't even get effective pressure to disrupt the play.

I personally don't think this defense has the personnel to play a 3-4 and would be better off in a 4-3. It doesn't have the LB depth to play a 3-4. The Def line depth is much better and would get our best players on the field at the same time.

I think having DD, CC, Branch and Watson would generate a better pass rush than who they use now. Now you blitz Dansby or Wilson or Rolle and you can get an effective rush.

Someone else mentioned that they allow the Titans to drive from their 1 and 2 yard line and only a lucky fumble stopped the one drive. You don't often see any team drive down the field 99 yards or even twice in a game.

The real shame is the effort the special teams put in only to see this defense waste it. The offense and the special teams did enough to win this game, the defense did not.

On a side note the run game was pretty flat today which did not help either.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We did everything we were suppose to do on the road to win a game except win.

Sacks , tuurnovers, special teams.

Bottom line this game falls on the defense. FOUR times theyot a 1st down when they were down to their last bullet.

We didn't lose the Super Bowl today, but it sure was reminisent. I'm proud of the way our guys fought. The ball didn't quite bounce our way, but let's chalk this one up to another lesson learned and remember this.....

Going back a few years we would lose road games by an average score of 31-10. We are now 5-1 on the road. Three of our last 5 are at home. We are still 2 games up in the division and are in complete control of our own destiny. We don't have to calculate what has to hapen for us to make the payoffs. Just take care of business.

As a fan , would you rather be in the 49er's current situation over ours?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
We did everything we were suppose to do on the road to win a game except win.

Sacks , tuurnovers, special teams.

Bottom line this game falls on the defense. FOUR times theyot a 1st down when they were down to their last bullet.

We didn't lose the Super Bowl today, but it sure was reminisent. I'm proud of the way our guys fought. The ball didn't quite bounce our way, but let's chalk this one up to another lesson learned and remember this.....

Going back a few years we would lose road games by an average score of 31-10. We are now 5-1 on the road. Three of our last 5 are at home. We are still 2 games up in the division and are in complete control of our own destiny. We don't have to calculate what has to hapen for us to make the payoffs. Just take care of business.

As a fan , would you rather be in the 49er's current situation over ours?

Sorry Al but the we used to be worse spin doesn't work anymore. We have top quality coaches,players,fans,stadium and now owners. No way this team with all the talented veteran players they have should be folding up like they do in crunch time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson