What we have to look forward to

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
If you could move Fitzgerald and get a dominate LT I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. WR is a complete dependent position and you can find them alot easier than dominate lineman. Plus I'd rather get rid of him a season early than late. Dion Sanders on the post game even wondered if Fitz was passed his prime.

Give the money to Albert, Get Cooper back trade your whole draft to move up and get Bridgewater

If you are going to pull the trigger on Fitz, then you better be looking to get a QB or a pick for one, and change.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
2014 free agent OTs.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2014/fa/ol.html

Hope I'm not the only one thinking Fitzgerald's money due could be put to better use like getting Brandon Albert. It's sickening how bad our OL is.
The sad, head scratching thing is the Cards could have had a guy better than Brandon Albert in Eugene Monroe for pennies on the dollar(draft choice-wise) and declined to acquire him.

Any offer they would possibly make to Brandon Albert as a free agent could have been used to get an extension with Eugene Monroe. It's mind-boggling the Cards did not move on that deal. Instead we were told that it just can't get any worse with Sowell as a selling point.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The sad, head scratching thing is the Cards could have had a guy better than Brandon Albert in Eugene Monroe for pennies on the dollar(draft choice-wise) and declined to acquire him.

Any offer they would possibly make to Brandon Albert as a free agent could have been used to get an extension with Eugene Monroe. It's mind-boggling the Cards did not move on that deal. Instead we were told that it just can't get any worse with Sowell as a selling point.

Jags said they didn't shop Monroe before the trade.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Absolutely. Unbelievable that we didn't move on Monroe when the FO already had plans to release Levi.

As long as we have been struggling at LT and when a quality one comes available, you have to move on it.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Listening to Warner's latest comments, it sounds like they're not using Fitz properly. They're playing him on the inside too much. According to Warner, Fitz isn't comfortable playing on the inside. Things move too fast there. It's better for a smaller, quicker twitch guy. That was never Fitz's game. Plus defenses don't have to double-team him on the inside. They can just play zone and it has the same effect as a double-team. Fitz needs to be on the outside to be who he is - either draw the double-team or get singled and dominate the guy.

Now that Warner let this cat out of the bag, it's going to be interesting to see how BA handles the questions. You watch, come Monday's BA interview, Bickley being the smartass he is, is going to ask just that. "Kurt said… yada yada yada…" Then BA, being the stubborn bleep he is, is going to hold firm with "Old receivers need to play every position… yada yada yada…"

It's going to continue and people might begin to speculate if BA is sabotaging Fitz to make it easier to get rid of the contract. You know the first thing BA noticed when he came here is that huge contract going to a wide receiver. That had to bother him. It would be a public relations nightmare to talk about trading Fitz in his first year here. I'm not saying that BA is sabotaging Fitz. But if he continues to use him the way he is now, despite the media and fans grumblings about it, the speculation might take root.

The guy used to make plays out of absolutely nothing...even in 2011 when we had Skolb as our QB...but the last two seasons, I can't recall one truly special play he made.

This year. But last year, I remember Fitz making two or three absolutely sick, dominating catches that made everybody ooze over how great he is. This year, he hasn't been given the chance because he's always vastly underthrown. Underthrows like that are virtually impossible to make a play on, especially with a bad hammy.

The type of skillset Fitz has is something that doesn't go away at age 30. If he was a speed guy then yeah, but the jump up and high-point the ball skillset is more timing and mental. He might be a tick below what he used to be. But I still think he has a few great years left with a team that uses him properly. That said, I thought I would never say it, but I would like to see Fitz go play for a contender like NE. He's too good to put up with this mess any longer. We'll never get the most out of him until we fix the QB position and OL. By the time that happens, Fitz will be done. Next year, he could go help a team win a championship. I think the trade might be eminent anyway.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
This link below shows that Keim stayed a lot more mainstream on players than Graves ever did- and has more control over personell with Whiz out of the picture.

link
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagency/index?year=2013&team=22

I still don't think it is players or talent problems- the link below shows we pass more than any team in the NFL - By quite a bit! not because we are behind- but because we are inpatient - If BA would pull his head out his AZ - and balance this up- (267 passes-to 154 runs) we would have a decent shot to compete - but were 3 games back in the division - that is like double losses -

PLAY ACTION DOES NOT WORK WITHOUT A WILL TO RUN!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/passingAttempts

Same crap different coach from what I see- We could win with our defense - If we just didn't kill them off in the 2nd half. On the flip side this this is only the 2nd year since 2008 we are not last in rushing attempts- yea how has that worked out for the cards?

Last edited:

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
This link below shows that Keim stayed a lot more mainstream on players than Graves ever did- and has more control over personell with Whiz out of the picture.

link
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagency/index?year=2013&team=22

I still don't think it is players or talent problems- the link below shows we pass more than any team in the NFL - By quite a bit! not because we are behind- but because we are inpatient - If BA would pull his head out his AZ - and balance this up- (267 passes-to 154 runs) we would have a decent shot to compete - but were 3 games back in the division - that is like double losses -

PLAY ACTION DOES NOT WORK WITHOUT A WILL TO RUN!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/passingAttempts

Same crap different coach from what I see- We could win with our defense - If we just didn't kill them off in the 2nd half. On the flip side this this is only the 2nd year since 2008 we are not last in rushing attempts- yea how has that worked out for the cards?

So you think we have an NFL caliber offensive line?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep, they just woke up that morning and decided if someone call us and offers something for Monroe, we're taking it. :rolleyes:

Well, it appears that way.

Monroe was not shopped around -- this deal came together between two teams virtually exclusively, similar to the Browns trade of Trent Richardson to the Colts -- and if the Browns were given the opportunity to work more diligently at trade talks would have been willing to part with a second-day pick and assume the remainder of Monroe's deal, sources said. They valued Monroe very highly as a long-term answer at right tackle -- they already have All Pro Joe Thomas entrenched on the left side -- and, unlike the Ravens, have no salary cap bind, so assuming the full remainder of his contract would not have been prohibitive.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...browns-wouldve-had-offered-more-for-exjags-lt

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you could move Fitzgerald and get a dominate LT I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. WR is a complete dependent position and you can find them alot easier than dominate lineman. Plus I'd rather get rid of him a season early than late. Dion Sanders on the post game even wondered if Fitz was passed his prime.

Give the money to Albert, Get Cooper back trade your whole draft to move up and get Bridgewater
Please for the love of dog, stop with the Bridgewater begging. He is not what you might think he is. IMHO.

As far as Fitz. Good luck with that albatross contract. He is the perfect example of out of reality contracts. Somewhere down the line, they will strangle a team.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This... And I am expecting to see Fitz agree to a restructured deal...

Doubtful... His cap numbers are astronomical and he is already "old" there no way to push that money further into the future. Not should we. Unless your one of those guys that just assumes Fitz is just going to agree to be paid less.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoever is a free agent and played for Arians somewhere.. That's who we will get.. Be pretty easy to narrow down.. Won't nessasarily get the best guy, just the guy he is familiar with..

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whoever is a free agent and played for Arians somewhere.. That's who we will get.. Be pretty easy to narrow down.. Won't nessasarily get the best guy, just the guy he is familiar with..

nice recipe to be in the bottom of the league

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Please for the love of dog, stop with the Bridgewater begging. He is not what you might think he is. IMHO.

As far as Fitz. Good luck with that albatross contract. He is the perfect example of out of reality contracts. Somewhere down the line, they will strangle a team.

For the love of god can you stop with the hate. Like you said its your opinion a lot of people have the exact opposite opinion of him

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
2014 free agent OTs.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2014/fa/ol.html

Hope I'm not the only one thinking Fitzgerald's money due could be put to better use like getting Brandon Albert. It's sickening how bad our OL is.

Explain to me why it has to be the money due to Fitzgerald and not the other players' money due and the money freed up at the end of the year?

Got a problem with Fitzgerald?

Sent from my intergalactic transmorgapher

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Again I've never been a part of the trade Fitz bandwagon. I know his contract isn't movable, but it seems like his best days are behind him, not worth the enormous contract we are paying him (which is on par with what top QBs make), and free us up to sign quality players along the line. Just don't think with our lack of talent around him that it is benefiting us to keep a player who costs so much. If they can figure out how to make his contract work and sign a top flight OT I'd be all for it. I just don't see it when we're handicapped by this contract... They'll need to figure something out.

Fitz salary for upcoming years...
2014 - 18 million
2015 - 21.2 million
2016 - 18.2 million

Aaron Rodgers salary...
2014 - 17.9 million
2015 - 18.6 million
2016 - 19.6 million

Explain to me how this handicaps this team.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I've never been one to really consider this either, but anything and everything should be on the table to see how the team can improve. that 18 million dollar number is a stranglehold for a guy completely dependent on another position getting him the ball. And I know it's blasphemy to say, but as good as Fitz is, I do believe we're starting to see him slow down just a little bit. The guy used to make plays out of absolutely nothing...even in 2011 when we had Skolb as our QB...but the last two seasons, I can't recall one truly special play he made.

Then whats the plan?

Whole bunch of posts calling for our best play, face of the franchise, to be cut/traded/released.

Ok. Then what?

We had this question before and then traded Anquan Boldin becuase it was CRAZY to pay 2 WRS a lot of money. What happened then?

Adam Snyder, Daryn College, Stewart Bradley, Rex Hadnot, re-signed Levi Brown, Kevin Kolb.

Seriously?

I mean I read about 10 threads today where the free agents we brought in this year are getting dragged through the mud. Horrible, poor players that so many are not happy with.

Then I read how the solution is to get rid of out best offensive player to bring in better free agents?

Great teams hold on to thier talent and draft well. They don't trade away talent and sign high priced free agents that would not be on the market if they were any good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cardinalsfan

Veteran
Reaction score
Explain to me how this handicaps this team.

Has he been worth that much to our team? Averaging what? 40 yards a game? He is dependent on other positions to be effective, but with that number it reduces our ability to get quality players at those spots.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Has he been worth that much to our team? Averaging what? 40 yards a game? He is dependent on other positions to be effective, but with that number it reduces our ability to get quality players at those spots.

What quality players? The same free agents people are currently complaining about?

The type of talent you want is only found in the draft.

And explain to me how Fitz is the only player that money can be freed up by cutting. There is NO one more deserving?

Daryn College really tearing it up when I am not looking?

Not saying you are crazy. I understand the reasoning. I just am waiting to hear how a front office that has shown poor ability to bring in free agents is best served by going "same ol' Cardinals" and cutting talent to save money and now having money , is going to find talent in free agency to the point that they are so improved they start making the playoffs..

Cause if you cut Larry Fitzgerald you better have a playoff team the year after or the only way this organization fills the stadium is putting tickets in a happy meal at McDonalds

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Yes. He has been gold for our team. What else is this organization going to sell on offense?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Ya, I suppose the small victory is Keim just signs worthless FA's to shorter contracts.

:championship:

And we have a bunch of people that think it would be best to cut Fitzgerald to put more money in those same people's hands because this time since it is "special" ex-Fitzgerald money they will bring in free agents of worth

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Nope.

Screw the dog.

Brigdewater is the real deal and exactly what this franchise needs. Tough, smart, accurate, great composure, good before and after the snap, good arm, good legs. IMHO

Yep. Its Fitzgerald's contract that is the albatross not the 10 guys currently getting money and no longer on the roster.

Its not Daryn Colledge, Adam Snyder, Stewart Bradley, Levi Brown and the rest...nope its Fitzgerald?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
nice recipe to be in the bottom of the league

People want Tom Brady.....who was drafted.

People want Joe Thomas......who was drafted.

You want a better offensive line, then look to Beanie Wells, Michael Floyd, Dan Williams, and DRC.

How many year did we not draft offensive linemen?

How many 3rd round picks have the Cardinals busted out on?

Yet the solution is cut Fitz and sign high priced free agents?

Not buying it

Not saying it (getting rid of Fitzgerald) is madness to bring the subject up either, I just don't see how it would improve the team. The talent people are looking for is only found in the draft, and yes you could trade Fitzgerald for draft picks, but you are not getting a 1st round pick for him. We might get a 2nd round and 5th round pick for him, and again, it is back to relying on the Cardinals to do something with the picks.

Have another thread about how there were so many Seattle fans in UoP stadium last game......trading Fitzgerald is not going to improve that situation, it is going to make it worse. IMHO

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nobody is saying Fitzgerald is what's wrong with this team its not him its his contract. You can't pay a WR 20 million a year its a Dependant position its the cart before the horse. I understand why they gave him that contract they needed to make as statement. Who's Brady's best WR? Rodgers? Brees? Its just unrealistic and yes the last group left us with a ton of bad contracts that are going tho hurt us going forward