What are our chances to sign M. Rob??

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Realistically what percentage would you say is our chance of signing Marcus Robinson?

I have made no secret that I really like this guy and like AZCB34 has stated he should now have had ample time to heal from his injuries.

Im not starting another thread about should we get him I know that most of us believe that we should but Im curious as to what many of you feel our chances are of landing him?

He states that we are his #1 choice but I wonder how much of that is smoke and mirrors? I also wonder if Bidwills lack of wanting to do performance based contracts might hurt our ability to land this guy, because if we do a straight contract the guy might feel that he will be short changed if he comes in here and lights the world on fire (Like I think he is capable of)?

I think we should offer a low salary with a decent bonus but throw in performance escalators that would make the guy VERY well payed if he performs like he did back in 2000?

I say we have about a 40% chance just a gut feeling!

FrontRow

Binge Drinker
Reaction score
Lewis and MJ were speaking to a writer from the Chicago Sun Times today about that very topic. The reporters view was that he was cut before the draft so there was no ill will and he would maybe come back to Chicago for less money.

He was due to make 3mil this year, too much for a 4th reciever. He also thought it would take 1 more season to put last year's knee injury behind him, because so much of his game is his ability to jump for the ball to make catches over DB's.

Still, he is a veteran with some successes, and in my opinion would be an upgrade to our recieving corps.

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by FrontRow
Lewis and MJ were speaking to a writer from the Chicago Sun Times today about that very topic. The reporters view was that he was cut before the draft so there was no ill will and he would maybe come back to Chicago for less money.

He was due to make 3mil this year, too much for a 4th reciever. He also thought it would take 1 more season to put last year's knee injury behind him, because so much of his game is his ability to jump for the ball to make catches over DB's.

Still, he is a veteran with some successes, and in my opinion would be an upgrade to our recieving corps.

Sounds like a reporter that doesn't know what he is talking about. The knee injury was 2 years ago and he played every game last year.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
Realistically what percentage would you say is our chance of signing Marcus Robinson?

I have made no secret that I really like this guy and like AZCB34 has stated he should now have had ample time to heal from his injuries.

Im not starting another thread about should we get him I know that most of us believe that we should but Im curious as to what many of you feel our chances are of landing him?

He states that we are his #1 choice but I wonder how much of that is smoke and mirrors? I also wonder if Bidwills lack of wanting to do performance based contracts might hurt our ability to land this guy, because if we do a straight contract the guy might feel that he will be short changed if he comes in here and lights the world on fire (Like I think he is capable of)?

I think we should offer a low salary with a decent bonus but throw in performance escalators that would make the guy VERY well payed if he performs like he did back in 2000?

I'd give a more than fair bonus, but make the deal short term. I'd give him 3 mil in signing bonus, plus 1 mil in salary per season for 2 years. Yes, that is too high. But we have the space, and if he has to be cut after the season the cap hit for dead money is only for a year and not too outrageous. It gives him the chance to prove himself and then get the long term deal. While we get a the vet we desperately need without hanging ourselves if he is too injury prone to contribute.

mdsisquo

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
80% chance. Graves needs to make a move and he knows this. If we don't sign him it will not go over very well with the fans. For that very reason, we will overpay to sign him. We have 17 mill, we can afford to overpay for a produtive, veteran WR. If he's healthy, he makes our offense much, much better.

mdsisquo

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
guys, he's not asking HOW MUCH we should pay. He is asking what you all think our CHANCES (%) of signing him are.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
I really hope we sign him. We need to add a vet. wideout before the draft. I think he would be a pretty good wr in our system.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mdsisquo
guys, he's not asking HOW MUCH we should pay. He is asking what you all think our CHANCES (%) of signing him are.

He also posted about what he would offer him which is the more interesting issue to me. But for you md, I'd say 50/50 chance he signs here, but that's only if we're willing to overpay. If we're not, he'll sign elsewhere.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
80% chance. Graves needs to make a move and he knows this. If we don't sign him it will not go over very well with the fans. For that very reason, we will overpay to sign him. We have 17 mill, we can afford to overpay for a produtive, veteran WR. If he's healthy, he makes our offense much, much better.

again - short term thinking - who cares if we have a lot of money - do you want to over-pay "risk" players now just because RIGHT NOW we have the cap room - What if they suck in the future and our cap is screwed? What then? At least we'll be able to say we were able to fill the salary cap! Be forward thinkers Cards! And whoever said give him a 3 million bonus is out of their minds IMO - I don't know what kind of sense that makes - short or long term.

mdsisquo

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
again - short term thinking - who cares if we have a lot of money - do you want to over-pay "risk" players now just because RIGHT NOW we have the cap room - What if they suck in the future and our cap is screwed? What then? At least we'll be able to say we were able to fill the salary cap! Be forward thinkers Cards! And whoever said give him a 3 million bonus is out of their minds IMO - I don't know what kind of sense that makes - short or long term.

Wrong, we can afford to take a risk now and overpay for a talented WR who has had some injury concerns. If he's recovered, then he is WELL worth it. If not, then we cut him in a year or so. I never said sign him to a 7 year deal. I'd be happy with a 2 year deal.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrong, we can afford to take a risk now and overpay for a talented WR who has had some injury concerns. If he's recovered, then he is WELL worth it. If not, then we cut him in a year or so. I never said sign him to a 7 year deal. I'd be happy with a 2 year deal.

so we're gonna overpay for WR who hasn't had a fully productive year since 2000? Aren't the signing bonuses the things that hurt the most when a player is cut? and 3 million? I don't know, I guess we just see differently on this subject.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We're 17mil under the cap, with no one to spend it on. We HAVE to spend at least 10mil more before the season begins. My scenario would cost us 2.5mil in cap space leaving us with 7.5mil more to spend to avoid the penalty without anyone to spend it on. Frank Sanders cost 4.3mil against the cap last year and we never lifted a finger to cut him or redo his deal. My SHORTTERM deal to Robinson is downright sane by comparison. If we can get him to sign a one year deal, then do it, but I think it'll take two years to get him here.

mdsisquo

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
so we're gonna overpay for WR who hasn't had a fully productive year since 2000? Aren't the signing bonuses the things that hurt the most when a player is cut? and 3 million? I don't know, I guess we just see differently on this subject.

I never said anything about 3 million. I never gave any numbers. Just saying that we can afford to take the risk now. If we were the Raiders it would be different, but then again, a player would take les from the Raiders to play with them because they are a contender. Teams that are not contenders almost always pay more for a good player with the hope of getting enough good players to eventually start winning and then players WANT to come to your team. Getting a bit off subject here...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
We're 17mil under the cap, with no one to spend it on. We HAVE to spend at least 10mil more before the season begins. My scenario would cost us 2.5mil in cap space leaving us with 7.5mil more to spend to avoid the penalty without anyone to spend it on. Frank Sanders cost 4.3mil against the cap last year and we never lifted a finger to cut him or redo his deal. My SHORTTERM deal to Robinson is downright sane by comparison. If we can get him to sign a one year deal, then do it, but I think it'll take two years to get him here.

The problem is that Frank Sanders ridiculous contract shouldn't be used for anything as far as comparisons go - just because we were retards and paid Sanders what we did, doesn't mean it should be a benchmark - if anything we learn from that mistake and not repeat it!

mdsquido (sorry about spelling) - sorry for intimating it wazs you who thought he should get a 3 mill bonus - I want Robinson too -I just don't think you have to break the bank for him.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want Robinson too -I just don't think you have to break the bank for him.

Most teams, your probably right. But, IMO, we have to do more than other teams to get free agents. And, don't forget, he is going to work out and take a physical. Only if those things go really well do you make him any sort of offer.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H

I agree wholeheartedly with your contract ideas although I think it will take about $2 million per year to sign him since another team will take that risk IMO. Incentive clauses should be used with him if they sign him for sure and I am uncertain how the Cards use that negotiating tool.

Cheesebeef is right in one respect in that what the Cards paid Sanders shouldn't come into play BUT what the Ravens did pay Sanders will have a direct effect on Robinsons asking price since realistically his talent level is much higher than Sanders'. Add to that the likelihood of Robinson being considered the Cards #1 WR (as of this moment) and that will also have an effect on his price.

Shane, I am completely unsure what R.obinson saying the Cards are his #1 choice means to things. I think the Cards should initially avt as though they are the only suitor for him and negotiate in that respect. No need to overpay if you are the only buyer. Unfortunately, the Cards history seems to show they MUST overpay somewhat to get FAs to sign.

I have made no secrets I think this would be a huge signing and he will play healthy and with a chip on his shoulder to prove he can be the guy he was in 99 when he broke out.

Shane, I think your 40% prediction is too low at this moment but we shall see. I give it about 75% since he will be in town Mon and Tue...plenty of time for something good to happen. Although we know the Cards take extra long to make these decisions.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Re: Re: What are our chances to sign M. Rob??

Originally posted by AZCB34

Although we know the Cards take extra long to make these decisions.

Not on draft week they don't. I think they sign him prior to draft or lose him to another team. Any more word on a possible TJ trade for Morris?

az643dp

"The Tugboat"
Reaction score
If we don't sign him it will not go over very well with the fans. For that very reason, we will overpay to sign him.

The bottom line is that Rod Graves does not give a "Rats Ass" (sorry...I could not resist) about the fans opinion. When it comes down to it, the fans are not as dialed in as personnel guys around the league. All we see is what is in the media. They see it all.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: What are our chances to sign M. Rob??

Originally posted by AZCB34
I agree wholeheartedly with your contract ideas although I think it will take about $2 million per year to sign him since another team will take that risk IMO. Incentive clauses should be used with him if they sign him for sure and I am uncertain how the Cards use that negotiating tool.

Cheesebeef is right in one respect in that what the Cards paid Sanders shouldn't come into play BUT what the Ravens did pay Sanders will have a direct effect on Robinsons asking price since realistically his talent level is much higher than Sanders'. Add to that the likelihood of Robinson being considered the Cards #1 WR (as of this moment) and that will also have an effect on his price.

Shane, I am completely unsure what R.obinson saying the Cards are his #1 choice means to things. I think the Cards should initially avt as though they are the only suitor for him and negotiate in that respect. No need to overpay if you are the only buyer. Unfortunately, the Cards history seems to show they MUST overpay somewhat to get FAs to sign.

I have made no secrets I think this would be a huge signing and he will play healthy and with a chip on his shoulder to prove he can be the guy he was in 99 when he broke out.

Shane, I think your 40% prediction is too low at this moment but we shall see. I give it about 75% since he will be in town Mon and Tue...plenty of time for something good to happen. Although we know the Cards take extra long to make these decisions.

I hope that your 75% is closer to correct because I really want this guy! I also think that if it takes overpaying then thats what we should do!

It is worth the risk especially with our obscene amount of cap room!

Thanks for the response everyone!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
62.85%.

Cheesebeef - It isn't your money. Why are you so hung up on overpaying players? One thing's for sure - if we lowball the offer, we won't get Robinson in any case. But if we pay a little more than you think is justified, at least we've got a legitimate shot at upgrading our WR position.

Consider it an insurance policy. We have the cap space. Why not invest a little more to secure a guy who's 6-3 215 lbs who has arguably a medium to outside chance of coming close to filling Boston's shoes?

I'd sure feel a lot better going into the 2nd round of the draft knowing that - should it be a question of drafting a pass rusher like Dewayne White, a DT like Ty Warren or a CB like Sammy Davis or Mathis - we wouldn't feel the pressure to reach for a WR like Calico out of need.

FrontRow

Binge Drinker
Reaction score
Jeff- It's my money (I have 4 seats in the loge), and I give permission to overpay.

Go and get him!