You must be registered for see images
Corey Maggette- 17 PPG, 5.3 rebounds, 44% FG

Suns 6th man

Tim Thomas- 15.6 PPG, 7.9 RPG, 53% FG

Leandro Barbosa- 12.7 PPG, 2.3 APG, 51% FG

PLAYOFF SERIES: Western Conference semifinals; Game 1

After completing an amazing comeback, the Phoenix Suns will match up with another opponent from Los Angeles -- albeit an unlikely one -- in the conference semifinals.

The Suns host the Los Angeles Clippers in Game 1 at U.S. Airways Center, two days after rallying from a 3-1 deficit to stun the Lakers in their best-of-seven first-round series.
The semifinals are foreign territory to the Clippers. Los Angeles beat Denver 4-1 in the first round, its first playoff series victory since 1976. This is only the fourth playoff appearance in the past 30 years for the Clippers.

Phoenix advanced to the conference finals last season, but looked like it was on the verge of elimination in the first round this season after the Lakers took a two-game lead following a last-second shot by Kobe Bryant in Game 4.

But the Suns went back to their fast-paced offensive ways to win the next three games, including a 121-90 rout in Game 7 on Saturday.
Of the seven previous teams to rebound from a 3-1 deficit, five went on to win the NBA title.

"You always have doubts popping in and out of your mind. I knew it was possible," Phoenix point guard Steve Nash said of the comeback. "I think it's like any situation, you wouldn't feel good about being 3-1. But having lost games the way we lost them and then playing so well in the last three games, made me feel good about our chances."

Nash, who was named the NBA's Most Valuable Player for the second straight season on Sunday, sprained his right ankle in the first half but said he should be fine to play on Monday.

If Nash can't go, Phoenix can rely on backup Leandro Barbosa, who scored 26 points on 10-for-12 shooting in the Game 7 victory over the Lakers.
Boris Diaw, the NBA's most improved player, had 21 points and nine assists and Shawn Marion had 13 points and 10 rebounds for the Suns, who advanced past the first round for only the third time in their last nine playoff appearances.

"Tonight, Boris and Leandro were our best players," Nash said. "The two guys that people said were disappointing in the beginning of the series, I think they are accustomed to the series now and they lost their virginity, so to speak, in the seventh game."

The Clippers can't be regarded lightly despite being in the conference semifinals for the first time in 30 years. Despite being seeded sixth, Los Angeles had homecourt advantage over Denver and easily took care of the Nuggets in five games, holding them to 87.4 points per contest, 13 below their season average.

"It's still kind of surreal. I might not appreciate it until we start the second round," said Clippers forward Elton Brand, who played in 544 regular season games before making his playoff debut April 22.

The Clippers, who haven't played since last Monday, won a series for the first time since moving to California in 1978 but feel they can advance even further.

"I'm not going to jump ahead of myself," Los Angeles coach Mike Dunleavy said. "I've felt like this team can achieve more. I think all the way. I know it's not in everybody's eyes a realistic thing to do. We'd have to play very well. I think we have the tools to do it."

This is the first playoff appearance for the Clippers since 1997. The Buffalo Braves beat Philadelphia 2-1 in the 1976 first round for the franchise's only other series victory. That team lost 4-2 to the Boston Celtics in the Eastern Conference semifinals.
The Suns and Clippers split their four regular season meetings. They've never met in the playoffs.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Suns vs Clippers - Monday May 8, 2006 - Game thread -Yahoo preview

LA Clippers at Phoenix
Preview - Mon May 8, 2006
TV - TNT

Western Conference semifinals; Game 1.
After completing an amazing comeback, the Phoenix Suns will match up with another opponent from Los Angeles -- albeit an unlikely one -- in the conference semifinals.
The Suns host the Los Angeles Clippers in Game 1 at U.S. Airways Center, two days after rallying from a 3-1 deficit to stun the Lakers in their best-of-seven first-round series.
The semifinals are foreign territory to the Clippers. Los Angeles beat Denver 4-1 in the first round, its first playoff series victory since 1976. This is only the fourth playoff appearance in the past 30 years for the Clippers.

Phoenix advanced to the conference finals last season, but looked like it was on the verge of elimination in the first round this season after the Lakers took a two-game lead following a last-second shot by Kobe Bryant in Game 4.
But the Suns went back to their fast-paced offensive ways to win the next three games, including a 121-90 rout in Game 7 on Saturday.
Of the seven previous teams to rebound from a 3-1 deficit, five went on to win the NBA title.

"You always have doubts popping in and out of your mind. I knew it was possible," Phoenix point guard Steve Nash said of the comeback. "I think it's like any situation, you wouldn't feel good about being 3-1. But having lost games the way we lost them and then playing so well in the last three games, made me feel good about our chances."
Nash, who was named the NBA's Most Valuable Player for the second straight season on Sunday, sprained his right ankle in the first half but said he should be fine to play on Monday.

If Nash can't go, Phoenix can rely on backup Leandro Barbosa, who scored 26 points on 10-for-12 shooting in the Game 7 victory over the Lakers.
Boris Diaw, the NBA's most improved player, had 21 points and nine assists and Shawn Marion had 13 points and 10 rebounds for the Suns, who advanced past the first round for only the third time in their last nine playoff appearances.

"Tonight, Boris and Leandro were our best players," Nash said. "The two guys that people said were disappointing in the beginning of the series, I think they are accustomed to the series now and they lost their virginity, so to speak, in the seventh game."

The Clippers can't be regarded lightly despite being in the conference semifinals for the first time in 30 years. Despite being seeded sixth, Los Angeles had homecourt advantage over Denver and easily took care of the Nuggets in five games, holding them to 87.4 points per contest, 13 below their season average.
"It's still kind of surreal. I might not appreciate it until we start the second round," said Clippers forward Elton Brand, who played in 544 regular season games before making his playoff debut April 22.
The Clippers, who haven't played since last Monday, won a series for the first time since moving to California in 1978 but feel they can advance even further.

"I'm not going to jump ahead of myself," Los Angeles coach Mike Dunleavy said. "I've felt like this team can achieve more. I think all the way. I know it's not in everybody's eyes a realistic thing to do. We'd have to play very well. I think we have the tools to do it."
This is the first playoff appearance for the Clippers since 1997. The Buffalo Braves beat Philadelphia 2-1 in the 1976 first round for the franchise's only other series victory. That team lost 4-2 to the Boston Celtics in the Eastern Conference semifinals.
The Suns and Clippers split their four regular season meetings. They've never met in the playoffs.

HOW THEY GOT HERE:
Clippers - 6th seed; beat Denver Nuggets 4-1, first round.

Suns - 2nd seed; beat Los Angeles Lakers 4-3, first round.

PROBABLE STARTERS: Clippers - F Quinton Ross, F Brand, C Chris Kaman, G Cuttino Mobley, G Sam Cassell. Suns - F James Jones, F Marion, C Diaw, G Nash, G Raja Bell.

PLAYOFF TEAM LEADERS: Clippers - Brand, 17.8 ppg and 10.0 rpg; Shaun Livingston, 6.0 apg. Suns - Nash, 22.1 ppg and 9.6 apg; Marion, 9.4 rpg.
REGULAR SEASON SERIES: 2-2. Each team won a game at home and on the road. Nash averaged 17.5 points and 11.5 assists, including 18 assists in a 112-102 victory on Jan. 18. Brand averaged 24.5 points and 10.8 rebounds, with double-doubles in both Los Angeles wins.
----------------------------------------

I think the suns have a chance to beat the Clippers by a big score in this first game. The clips have not played for a week and the suns look to be at the top of their game!

sunsfn

Reaction score
ESPN preview
---------------------------------

Nash, Suns host surprising Clippers in series opener

LA Clippers at Phoenix 10:30 pm EDT Western Conference semifinals Game One

PHOENIX (Ticker) - The Los Angeles Clippers are in the conference semifinals for the first time in 30 years, but all the momentum currently belongs to Steve Nash and the Phoenix Suns.
One day after being honored with his second straight MVP award, Nash tries to help the Suns get off to a good start in their best-of-seven series with the Clippers when the teams square off Monday.
Nash, who became the shortest back-to-back MVP on Sunday, had 13 points and nine assists in the Suns' 121-90 rout of the Los Angeles Lakers in Game Seven of their first-round series on Friday.
Leandro Barbosa scored a playoff career-high 26 points on 10-of-12 shooting and Shawn Marion added 14 points and 10 rebounds for second-seeded Phoenix, which is trying to get back to the West finals for the second straight season.
The sixth-seeded Clippers, meanwhile, are in a totally different boat, having made the second round for the first time since 1976, when the franchise was known as the Buffalo Braves.
Los Angeles, which was the only lower seed to win a first-round series, advanced with a 101-83 victory over third-seeded Denver in Game Five on Monday. Cuttino Mobley and Corey Maggette scored 23 points apiece and Elton Brand added 21 for the Clippers, who were just 13-22 all-time in the playoffs entering this season.
The Clippers and Suns, who are meeting in the playoffs for the first time, split four meetings this season, with each team winning once on the other's home court.
Game Two is here Wednesday.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Time to move on, and away from the Laker hate. Looking forward to this series!

Suns in 6.

:thumbup:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Suns are 5-point favorites for tonight; the O/U is 209.5. They're -210 to win the series (Clips are +175).

I'm slightly surprised that the Suns are favored to win the series by so much, but the -5 for tonight doesn't surprise me. It's hard for a team to come off a long break and immediately step into top form, and the Suns are a team that punish mistakes when they're playing well.

IMO D'Antoni vs. Dunleavy is one of the Suns' big edges in this series. I'll be looking for how the Suns deal with Brand, Kaman, Maggette and Shaun Livingston. I'll also be looking to see whether the Clippers capitulate by going small, and how much run Quinton Ross gets (I don't think he matches up with the Suns as well as Maggette or even James Singleton does).

If Kaman stays in, there's no excuse for Diaw failing to shatter his previous best scoring mark in the playoffs.

I hope Nash looks good tonight. He looked pretty beat up at the end of game 7 of the Lakers series. :(

sunsfn

Reaction score
How about this............

Anthony-
Broussard
Hollinger
Sheridan
Stein
You must be registered for see images attach
-- -
- - - -
- - - -
- - - -

(In 6) - - - (In 7) - - - - - (In 6) - - - - (In 7) - - - - - -(In 6)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
How about this............

Anthony-
Broussard
Hollinger
Sheridan
Stein
-- -
- - - -
- - - -
- - - -

(In 6) - - - (In 7) - - - - - (In 6) - - - - (In 7) - - - - - -(In 6)

Anthony is such a little ****.

Didn't he come off the bench and attack KJ in street clothes?

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
First quarter fouls
Suns 9
Clips 2

That was a crappy call on House

They have already gone 15 times to the line! That's outrageous!! We will probably have total 15 chances for the entire game.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
That was a good call, he tapped Radmanovic on the elbow. A very stupid thing to do.

So far it's been pretty much what I expected. Clipps are killing us inside, but the Suns are running.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Shooting has gone cold. Can't afford that, Clips will kill us with the inside game.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Little bit of run has pushed the lead back up by 6 with Suns having the ball...

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Yet again the Suns forget how to close out qtrs. Is there something that goes into their mind that makes them think "hey there's 3 minutes left, lets make sure we don't do anything that gave us the lead"?

Final 3 minutes ... no drives, bad shot selection, horrid defense, and nobody wants to get a board.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Chris Kaman is a strange looking dude

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is going to be a game that annoys me.

Piss poor post defense. Useless late double teams.

Why even defend the Clippers on the outside??? Pack the paint.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
az1965 said:
Elton Brand shot 77% (10-13) in the first half... that is amazing.

Not really. Any decent PF should make 10 out of 13 shots against the Suns.

What pisses me off is that Magette is getting any shot he wants.