Western Conference Semi-Finals Game 1- Clippers @ Suns Game Thread

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
jibikao said:
By the way, Clipper seems like a classy team. When players fell down, I saw Suns players helping them get up and vice versa. Both teams seem to respect each other a lot. Unlike... that ANGRY guy who called Barkley to vent? WTF?

You're right and what fun it is for the fans to enjoy high energy athleticism, great skills and sportsmanship. I've always liked the Suns (and espescially the current version) but am pulling for the underdog Clips until they're eliminated. Then it's Suns or Spurs all the way to the Championship.

jibikao

Reaction score
playstation said:
i don't think the clippers can play any better than the game they just played. only mobley had a tough time, and i'm guessing that won't change with bell on him. this may have been the clips best punch.

that's not to say they won't win against us, as we can still play poorer than today, but i don't see how they could do any better than that.

The Clip probably can't play better but we can play worse. Our crazy 3pt shooting balance off Brand's crazy shooting. This series is still long. I do think the Clipper has a lot more balance and HEIGHT. Darn. Aren't they tall? We just need to keep running. If we don't run, we lose.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A friend called me at 6:00 and asked if I wanted tix to the game. Great seats, mid-court, top row of the lower level, right below the box seats. Now THATS a friend.

Observations.

1. Brand is a beast. Scoring, and almost every shot was severely contested. Does he play like this all the time? Don't know how we could have defended him any better.

2. Nash was awesome. He is so creative with the ball. I am now convinced that he is a better pg than Stockton.

3. This Clippers team is a very good, very classy team. Kaman should have produced more tonight. Their defense is suspect though.

4. The biggest problem with the Clips is coaching. It seemed that Kaman and Brand were on the floor very little together. Also, he waited to take Brand out until midway through the 4th (he should have done it over the quarter break). Dunleavy was trying to get him a breather for the end of the game push. We went on a 9-2 run, and the game was basically over by the time Brand checked back in. Bad coaching.

5. Cassell got hot and we switched Marion onto him. He immediately went cold. Marion spent alot of the night guarding Brand and the rest guarding Cassell. He shut Cassell down. Marion is a very good perimeter defender.

6. Cassell doesnt have that same snarly swagger he had when he was with the Rockets. Guess he's grown up.

7. The Suns played excellent defense in stretches. When they did, they went on offensive runs.

This series is going to be a dogfight. But I feel better about it than a couple of days ago. I can't imagine Brand having a much better game, and we weathered it and won.

jibikao

Reaction score
Redmark said:
You're right and what fun it is for the fans to enjoy high energy athleticism, great skills and sportsmanship. I've always liked the Suns (and espescially the current version) but am pulling for the underdog Clips until they're eliminated. Then it's Suns or Spurs all the way to the Championship.

Spurs. lol This is honest truth. The lineup we have now cannot beat Spurs. Their inside presence will own us in no time. Hopefully it's Mavs we meet in WCF. :D

Well, Suns is never known to be a physical and dirty team. It was Laker that drove us to that limit. Just look at their players being so freaking cocky is so annoying. Brown is my most hated. The way he stared down at Diaw?!!! Agrrrr

Anyway, I like Clippers. They really showed a lot of class tonight but we'll see how the series goes. The players really had fun today. I saw Nash and Cassell had some fun chats.

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
jibikao said:
Spurs. lol This is honest truth. The lineup we have now cannot beat Spurs. Their inside presence will own us in no time. Hopefully it's Mavs we meet in WCF. :D

Well, Suns is never known to be a physical and dirty team. It was Laker that drove us to that limit. Just look at their players being so freaking cocky is so annoying. Brown is my most hated. The way he stared down at Diaw?!!! Agrrrr

Anyway, I like Clippers. They really showed a lot of class tonight but we'll see how the series goes. The players really had fun today. I saw Nash and Cassell had some fun chats.

Game 6 was a Classic I'll enjoy watching for years to come. TT is the man. The Suns are pretty awesome problem to deal with... whichever one wins this series will give the Spurs a tough match. I just hope Dallas can carry it to 6 games at least.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
jibikao said:
The Clip probably can't play better but we can play worse. Our crazy 3pt shooting balance off Brand's crazy shooting. This series is still long. I do think the Clipper has a lot more balance and HEIGHT. Darn. Aren't they tall? We just need to keep running. If we don't run, we lose.
We shot about normal on threes for us statistically. :shrug:

12 of 27. 12 3's in a night is not unreal for the Suns at all. :shrug:

Last edited:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
You are dreaming if you think we can beat Spurs with this line up. They will eat us alive. Nazr played like an all star against us during the season. They were grabbing multiple offensive rebounds everytime and were getting several chances.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
az1965 said:
You are dreaming if you think we can beat Spurs with this line up. They will eat us alive. Nazr played like an all star against us during the season. They were grabbing multiple offensive rebounds everytime and were getting several chances.
Our only hope is that the Mavs and Spurs beat each other up. The way the Refs swallowed their whistles in game 1 of that series, that could happen. ;)

AZZenny

Reaction score
Wondering how loud we sounded to you watchers -- I'm totally hoarse and actually have blood blisters from clapping the whole time. We even kept it up during most of the commercial breaks.

I thought the refs -- especially that one old dude -- were a bit biased against us in the first half, but then it seemed to get better.

Suns were not crisp for more than a couple minutes here and there. They weren't tight, which is good, but they looked out of control a lot. Leandro especially looked loosey-goosey again.

Our FT% was awesome.

Excellent game.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
They have the crowd noise turned way down on the telecast. Even during the most exciting moments, we couldn't hear much.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
what's that about Kobe and Barkley? anyone cares to enlighten me about it?
Apparently Kobe sent Barkley about 20 angry text messages for what Charles said about him quiting on his team in game 7. He couldn't even call him and talk to him like a man, he sent text messages.........

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brand had an amazing game. I would've liked Grant to get a shot at him and make him catch the ball father out of the paint because he was in his comfort zone all night long. Maggette is a handful too. I'm glad they played Quinton Ross because his defense wasn't that good on Nash and he provided them with almost no offense. They would've been much tougher with Maggette starting (I know he's coming off an injury) and playing more minutes. Cassell was unstoppable for a while in the 3rd when the Clips went on their run, that guy is really crafty and a little dirty with the cheap fouls he gets called in his favor.

We played pretty well offensively and got good shots almost all night long (so much for the Clips having the 2nd best defense in the league). I thought we played great defense right off the bat and then slacked off once we got in foul trouble and James Jones went out and Tim Thomas came in (Jones provided a great quick double team on Brand, TT & Diaw were always late). Overall we hit the big shots in the end and got a couple of stops and turnovers and that's what we needed to win the game.

The Clippers are a good team and I think they made a few mistakes and lost focus. Their inexpereince in the playoffs showed tonight and while they might not shoot this well offensively again, they probably won't have so many defensive lapses or turnovers so we'll have to play our best every night.

MVP

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brand did play amazingly, but the Suns have to defend him better. Way, WAY too often Brand caught the ball less than 6 feet away from the basket, and while he may not shoot 18-22 every night, with his mid-range efficiency, he could easily average 30+. The Suns need to correct that.

D'Antoni says that he doesn't really worry about the Clippers pounding us downlow because that's what everyone does, but you still cannot just accept that standing still. All night, the Suns were allowing him to catch the ball in his comfort zone. Regardless of the fact that Shawn Marion would have trouble guarding Nate Robinson in the post, even Ben Wallace would not be able to stop Brand if he first allowed him to catch the ball exactly where he wants it. Everytime down the floor, the Suns need to find Brand and bump him off his spot before he can get below the free-throw line extended area. They need to front him and double him and pretend like he's Shaquille O'neal, do whatever it takes to at least make things difficult for him and tire him out. Deny him the ball whenever possible. Because if you're standing behind him when he catches the ball, then you might as well inbound the ball and run to the other three point line, waiting for Nash to get you an open look.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
MVP said:
Brand did play amazingly, but the Suns have to defend him better. Way, WAY too often Brand caught the ball less than 6 feet away from the basket, and while he may not shoot 18-22 every night, with his mid-range efficiency, he could easily average 30+. The Suns need to correct that.

D'Antoni says that he doesn't really worry about the Clippers pounding us downlow because that's what everyone does, but you still cannot just accept that standing still. All night, the Suns were allowing him to catch the ball in his comfort zone. Regardless of the fact that Shawn Marion would have trouble guarding Nate Robinson in the post, even Ben Wallace would not be able to stop Brand if he first allowed him to catch the ball exactly where he wants it. Everytime down the floor, the Suns need to find Brand and bump him off his spot before he can get below the free-throw line extended area. They need to front him and double him and pretend like he's Shaquille O'neal, do whatever it takes to at least make things difficult for him and tire him out. Deny him the ball whenever possible. Because if you're standing behind him when he catches the ball, then you might as well inbound the ball and run to the other three point line, waiting for Nash to get you an open look.

:raccoon:

Same with the Cave Man

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
MVP said:

Honestly, they defended him well last night. He made some incredibly difficult shots. They could front him, but Brand is quick and and with those long arms, he would be throwing down the lob all day. He's a really tough matchup.

jibikao

Reaction score
Yuma said:
We shot about normal on threes for us statistically. :shrug:

12 of 27. 12 3's in a night is not unreal for the Suns at all. :shrug:

It felt like we made more than that. There were some big 3pt shots in the end that closed out the game. 12/27 is 44%. That's GREAT. If we can do that in every series, man, we are unstoppable. We shot 53% and Clip shot 59%.

I think the problem with Clip's defense is that they ran at our shooters too hard which left the lane open if our shooter penetrates.

jibikao

Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Wondering how loud we sounded to you watchers -- I'm totally hoarse and actually have blood blisters from clapping the whole time. We even kept it up during most of the commercial breaks.

I thought the refs -- especially that one old dude -- were a bit biased against us in the first half, but then it seemed to get better.

Suns were not crisp for more than a couple minutes here and there. They weren't tight, which is good, but they looked out of control a lot. Leandro especially looked loosey-goosey again.

Our FT% was awesome.

Excellent game.

The broadcast game never sounds that loud for some reasons.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
az1965 said:

Please, let's not start the overrating Nazr Mohammed game already. There is a reason he was replaced by Rasho late in the season in the starting lineup, who was in turn replace by Robert Horry.

Djaughe

Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Wondering how loud we sounded to you watchers -- I'm totally hoarse and actually have blood blisters from clapping the whole time. We even kept it up during most of the commercial breaks....

My impression was that the fan energy has been awesome since after the first 2 games from round one.

While I'm sure the joint was rockin with energy last night...having TnT do a couple of shots of a suns cheerleader dud waving a "NOISE" sign does give the viewers an impression that the crowd doesn't know how to turn it up.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Kobe vs. Pumpkin Head

Apparently Kobe took offense to Barkley's comment that he was selfish in Game 7 so there were a series of text messages between them. Barkley didn't elaborate as to exactly what was said but he did say some foul language was used (duh, surprised?). He did reinterate several times that he tought Kobe was the best scorer in the NBA (just to boost his fragile ego).

Barkley implied that Kobe shoulda been man enough to call him instead since 'he obviously has my cell phone number.'

jibikao

Reaction score
Suns.com has invented a new verb = Nashed.

Clippers Nashed

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Please, let's not start the overrating Nazr Mohammed game already. There is a reason he was replaced by Rasho late in the season in the starting lineup, who was in turn replace by Robert Horry.
That's exactly my point... the otherwise "disappeared to the end of the bench" player will look like an all star due to hieght advantage. Didn't he score career high like 22+ points and grabbed a boatload of rebounds in the 4th game of the season?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az1965 said:
So does this mean we can also say Lakers Barbosaed? :shrug:

They use more similes in Spanish: Leandrihno Barbosa machacó el Los Ángeles Lakers como el golpe Tina de Ike.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
az1965 said:
That's exactly my point... the otherwise "disappeared to the end of the bench" player will look like an all star due to hieght advantage. Didn't he score career high like 22+ points and grabbed a boatload of rebounds in the 4th game of the season?

So? It's not unheard of that some players have good games once in awhile. Jake Tsakalidis had a bunch of great games for Memphis towards the end of the season.

Nazr has size on us, yes, but he doesn't have the skill--they leave that up to Duncan, who actually will kill us in a series.