Week 7 Snap counts, Usage trends, and Roster thoughts

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Interesting to hear you project Shaughnessy and Okafor in the base defense. I've always pictured them as playing the same position.

I see Shaughnessy as a classic two down run stopping SOLB. I'm not staying that Okafor isn't similar, only that with Abraham out Okafor is the only option at WOLB IMO.

That's why I see them on the field on the same time.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Especially for Dockett who hits us for 10m. Cut him saves almost 7m which you could use to extend Williams and give another 1 year deal to Ta'amu or Kelly. Go front-7 in the first or second round in the draft.

Docket will be on this roster next year...I'm calling that shot.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Bowles talks highly of Powers and keeps talking about his versatility, which leads me to believe the Cardinals are going to give him a fair enough deal to keep him

But Bowles isn't Keim, and isn't having to figure out how to make everything work.

I'm sure the Cardinals would like to keep most of their players, but turnover happens in this league because that is tough to do financially. I'm not sure the Cards can keep Powers as a #3 CB, and fill all of their other needs/re-sign other key players.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
But Bowles isn't Keim, and isn't having to figure out how to make everything work.

I'm sure the Cardinals would like to keep most of their players, but turnover happens in this league because that is tough to do financially. I'm not sure the Cards can keep Powers as a #3 CB, and fill all of their other needs/re-sign other key players.

With what Bowles requires Powers to do, one just can't draft a rookie and expect him to be experienced enough to cover all the variables, so scratch that as an option. Powers I doubt sees himself as a premier corner which demands big bucks and other veteran options would be similar players who might not be familiar with Bowles system (and Powers contributions are significant). I also doubt highly Keim does not consult all the coaches about what makes the team function. Keim is having to figure out how to make everything work, but he is not doing it by himself without any input from the people that make it work

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Maybe, but the Cards can' afford Powers as the prohibitive #2 CB at that number and let Cromartie walk for a greener pasture. Remember, the opportunity to prove yourself and get a new big deal is part of the recruitment effort for these undervalued guys.

Mathieu is a better corner than he is a safety. He's a plus nickel cornerback. You don't need Powers as your #3, but he's a fine #2 at that price, and having him allows you to be proactive in finding another veteran corner to compete at a discount.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Maybe, but the Cards can' afford Powers as the prohibitive #2 CB at that number and let Cromartie walk for a greener pasture. Remember, the opportunity to prove yourself and get a new big deal is part of the recruitment effort for these undervalued guys.

Mathieu is a better corner than he is a safety. He's a plus nickel cornerback. You don't need Powers as your #3, but he's a fine #2 at that price, and having him allows you to be proactive in finding another veteran corner to compete at a discount.

I see a large gap between Cromartie as a #2 CB and Powers in that same spot. I could be wrong.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I see a large gap between Cromartie as a #2 CB and Powers in that same spot. I could be wrong.

That's fine, but not at the cost. I think that Powers (with an upgraded pass rush) can deliver 70% or more of Cromartie's value at 50% or less of the cost.

Also understand that I think Cromartie handcuffs the defense to playing "sides" in a way that Powers doesn't. Ergo, Cromartie's presence makes Peterson less valuable.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If the Cards do improve the pass rush and Bethel becomes what BA said he can be then Powers is fine for next year and Cro can get los money elsewhere.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If the Cards do improve the pass rush and Bethel becomes what BA said he can be then Powers is fine for next year and Cro can get los money elsewhere.

Cromartie is replaceable. Ike Taylor, Carlos Rogers, Terence Newman, Mike Jenkins, and others are the guys scheduled to reach free agency. I think we're two more years from getting these guys retired or skills declining so they're no longer useful.

I agree with what I think you're saying: You can survive for another year with Powers as a starting corner if you can ease Justin Bethel into the starting role and seeing if he can do something there. Bethel hasn't earned his way onto the field so far.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cromartie is replaceable. Ike Taylor, Carlos Rogers, Terence Newman, Mike Jenkins, and others are the guys scheduled to reach free agency. I think we're two more years from getting these guys retired or skills declining so they're no longer useful.

I agree with what I think you're saying: You can survive for another year with Powers as a starting corner if you can ease Justin Bethel into the starting role and seeing if he can do something there. Bethel hasn't earned his way onto the field so far.

I do think Bethel is the long term plan and he needs to step it up. Cro has been playing rather well this year sans the Denver game and Powers has had some very good games as well. HB will get snaps just because he is HB so I'm not overly concerned that Bethel hasn't gotten more snaps but I'm with you that he isn't getting on the field enough.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Powers is an excellent slot corner, and a poor #2. Whether they keep Cro or not, we'll need another #2 corner.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Powers is an excellent slot corner, and a poor #2. Whether they keep Cro or not, we'll need another #2 corner.

he just paid the price thathe is short and doesnt have good leaping ability but even last season he played well,just struggling against big receiver

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Powers was adequate last year with a solid pass rush as a #2. I don't think that Powers at his best is better in the slot than Mathieu at his best.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Powers was adequate last year with a solid pass rush as a #2. I don't think that Powers at his best is better in the slot than Mathieu at his best.

Kind of a moot point right now...HB needs to get to 100%, then we can have this discussion. Arians typically plays HB at FS anyway, so having both is important.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Kind of a moot point right now...HB needs to get to 100%, then we can have this discussion. Arians typically plays HB at FS anyway, so having both is important.

Not in nickel situations. When there are 5 DBs on the field, Mathieu is playing corner, and he should be.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though there have been little outside expectations for the soft-spoken lineman, Stinson has held himself to a high standard, and it’s helped him carve out a role on an imposing defensive line.

“I always put a lot on myself to do my job well,” Stinson said. “That’s how I came up and how I was when I was younger. Even at Alabama I made sure I did everything right. I didn’t want to be that guy on the board with mental errors. I take pride in that.”
Good news on Stinson. We need the depth at DE and he is making the most of the extended playing time with CC injury.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison