Snap Counts + Thoughts: Week 18 vs Seahawks

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Thoughts:
- This game was fun as heck, especially as exemplified by the fact that Prater and Gillikin got offensive snaps as part of a wild fake field goal.
- Cards played a lot of three-TE sets to protect both of their tackles.
- WR Michael Wilson finished the year strong with an extremely efficient 6/95 stat line. Could he be the third option in a good offense?
- James Conner had four receptions on four targets. I wonder if Petzing can find ways to get him more involved in the passing game next season (as well as Michael Carter).
- BJ Ojulari had his most snaps of the season and looked visibly gassed at times when he was on the field for more than four or five plays.
- Kei'Trel Clark again had zero defensive snaps. Good to see Andre Chachere get absolutely roasted again. The way we've run personnel in the secondary this season is mystifying.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great post. I am shocked that the Seahawks didn't score more. The talent level on this defense is woeful.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Great post. I am shocked that the Seahawks didn't score more. The talent level on this defense is woeful.
I'm continually mystified how Gannon and Rallis have mind-tricked teams into not running the ball at us over and over again. Seattle's second-half possessions went punt-punt-punt-punt-TD with two first downs before that final drive.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Thanks K9!

Zero sacks since the NFC/AFC merger for ARZ is troubling!

Also, defensive players who played Sunday who'll start on opening day 2024:

SS - Thompson
FS - Baker
RDT - Fotu (maybe, also wow I can't believe I just typed that)
LDE - Collins (maybe but he's hanging on by a thread)
RDE - Ojulari (maybe, looks a little doubtful at this point)
CB2 - Hamilton (maybe, but probably not, although he deserves a roster spot for sure)

Also I think Kyzir White will probably start at MLB, and Garrett Williams (CB1?) + Dantee Stills (LDT) are both maybes.

So we'll need need at least two (sorry Dennis Gardeck and Josh Woods), and perhaps as many as eight new defensive starters next year.

Last edited:

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm continually mystified how Gannon and Rallis have mind-tricked teams into not running the ball at us over and over again. Seattle's second-half possessions went punt-punt-punt-punt-TD with two first downs before that final drive.
Compromising photos is my best guess:)

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Thanks K9!

Zero sacks since the NFC/AFC merger for ARZ is troubling!

Also, defensive players who played Sunday who'll start on opening day 2024:

SS - Thompson
FS - Baker
RDT - Fotu (maybe, also wow I can't believe I just typed that)
LDE - Collins (maybe but he's hanging on by a thread)
RDE - Ojulari (maybe, looks a little doubtful at this point)
CB2 - Hamilton (maybe, but probably not, although he deserves a roster spot for sure)

Also I think Kyzir White will probably start at MLB, and Garrett Williams (CB1?) + Dantee Stills (LDT) are both maybes.

So we'll need need at least two (sorry Dennis Gardeck and Josh Woods), and perhaps as many as eight new defensive starters next year.

Fotu is a free agent -- our entire DL room aside from Stills are pending free agents. All or none of them can return, but I doubt that makes much of a difference. They're all replacement-level players. You'd love to bring in a starting-caliber free agent and a day 1 or day 2 draft choice in that position group.

I think Collins and Ojulari are both rotational players on a good team. Collins probably shouldn't be rushing the passer as frequently as he was, but be brings more juice as a chase player than pretty much everyone else. I wouldn't pick up Collins' fifth-year option, but I'd consider giving him a Markus Golden-level deal.

We were 29th in sacks, 31st in pressure percentage, 32nd in QB knockdowns, 31st in opponent passer rating allowed, 29th in yards per rush allowed, and 32nd in expected points.

There are good reasons to have a bias toward offense in roster-building, but this defense is so very crappy.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Ojulari just wasn't good. He has to add bulk, and not just maintain his physical traits while adding bulk, but also add speed/bend/explosiveness to boot. He's going to struggle mightily to be JAG even. We burned a 2nd on him and still have edge as one of our top needs. I do not care about his injury; he has to progress leaps and bounds next year or he'll get a certain negative label.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is really weird.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Thoughts:
- This game was fun as heck, especially as exemplified by the fact that Prater and Gillikin got offensive snaps as part of a wild fake field goal.
- Cards played a lot of three-TE sets to protect both of their tackles.
- WR Michael Wilson finished the year strong with an extremely efficient 6/95 stat line. Could he be the third option in a good offense?
- James Conner had four receptions on four targets. I wonder if Petzing can find ways to get him more involved in the passing game next season (as well as Michael Carter).
- BJ Ojulari had his most snaps of the season and looked visibly gassed at times when he was on the field for more than four or five plays.
- Kei'Trel Clark again had zero defensive snaps. Good to see Andre Chachere get absolutely roasted again. The way we've run personnel in the secondary this season is mystifying.
Agree on Conner. I would love to see another physical RB on the roster to enable him to be on the field for passing downs. A couple options in FA.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree on Conner. I would love to see another physical RB on the roster to enable him to be on the field for passing downs. A couple options in FA.
With what seems to be the philosophy of this staff, I think picking up a big rb later in the draft would be a grand idea. Today, if Connor were to go down with injury, the whole dynamics of this offense changes.

Stout

Reaction score
With what seems to be the philosophy of this staff, I think picking up a big rb later in the draft would be a grand idea. Today, if Connor were to go down with injury, the whole dynamics of this offense changes.
I would not be opposed to having King Henry on a team friendly short-term deal.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Hell. If you can get AJ Dillon for cheap...might be able to save a pick.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I got a bit roasted for this idea a while back. Some of it is dependent on Henry taking a 5 mil per year deal that is only one or two years. Essentially giving us a little Conner insurance, and one of two years to draft a RB or two.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I got a bit roasted for this idea a while back. Some of it is dependent on Henry taking a 5 mil per year deal that is only one or two years. Essentially giving us a little Conner insurance, and one of two years to draft a RB or two.
In this offense Henry is less of a liability because we don't throw the ball to RBs much. It would really depend on if King Henry is willing to move for a non-featured role.

Monti will know for sure the culture fit.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Fotu is a free agent -- our entire DL room aside from Stills are pending free agents. All or none of them can return, but I doubt that makes much of a difference. They're all replacement-level players. You'd love to bring in a starting-caliber free agent and a day 1 or day 2 draft choice in that position group.

I think Collins and Ojulari are both rotational players on a good team. Collins probably shouldn't be rushing the passer as frequently as he was, but be brings more juice as a chase player than pretty much everyone else. I wouldn't pick up Collins' fifth-year option, but I'd consider giving him a Markus Golden-level deal.

We were 29th in sacks, 31st in pressure percentage, 32nd in QB knockdowns, 31st in opponent passer rating allowed, 29th in yards per rush allowed, and 32nd in expected points.

There are good reasons to have a bias toward offense in roster-building, but this defense is so very crappy.
A few weeks ago, I listened to Lorenzo Alexander talk about Zaven. He pointed out to how many different ways Zaven has been used and moved around and Zo's take was that Collins played pretty well at all of them, but that he should be featured more as a pure pass rusher. Zo said that's why he's not putting up sack numbers

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I listened to Lorenzo Alexander talk about Zaven. He pointed out to how many different ways Zaven has been used and moved around and Zo's take was that Collins played pretty well at all of them, but that he should be featured more as a pure pass rusher. Zo said that's why he's not putting up sack numbers
As I was watching he seemed to get plenty of pass rush opportunities. He looked better doing it than BJ Ojulari, who was doing basically nothing when he wasn't Very Tired after five or six straight plays, but didn't really showcase any standout traits.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Ojulari just wasn't good. He has to add bulk, and not just maintain his physical traits while adding bulk, but also add speed/bend/explosiveness to boot. He's going to struggle mightily to be JAG even. We burned a 2nd on him and still have edge as one of our top needs. I do not care about his injury; he has to progress leaps and bounds next year or he'll get a certain negative label.
LOL you've already labeled him for sure.

It's not uncommon for guys who missed virtually all of the off-season to not be contributors.

It's also not uncommon for guys to be less productive when they are surrounded by replacement level players. I say to my Rams fan friend that it's hard to gauge how good any front seven player on the Rams is because of how good Aaron Donald is. The opposite can be true as well.

Ojulari was literally the youngest player in the draft. He still has significant physical growth to go through at 21 years old.

I remember in all of last year and in the off-season how much you panned McBride. That take looks real dumb now. Have some patience.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think everyone expects him to make Conner like money on the FA market - if he's available for 5M per, I'd be fine with it. Let's really lean into Smel ball!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Gotta hit on high 2nd rounders.

Stout

Reaction score
'Zo is full of poo. The whole reason he was moved was because he wasn't good enough at where he was drafted to play--and he hasn't played well as a pass rusher either. Another Keim time pick.

Stout

Reaction score
LOL you've already labeled him for sure.

It's not uncommon for guys who missed virtually all of the off-season to not be contributors.

It's also not uncommon for guys to be less productive when they are surrounded by replacement level players. I say to my Rams fan friend that it's hard to gauge how good any front seven player on the Rams is because of how good Aaron Donald is. The opposite can be true as well.

Ojulari was literally the youngest player in the draft. He still has significant physical growth to go through at 21 years old.

I remember in all of last year and in the off-season how much you panned McBride. That take looks real dumb now. Have some patience.
Thanks for the potshot!

I'm not giving up on him--he's here for the foreseeable future and he absolutely has a chance to develop. Yes, I was wrong on McBride, and happily so. Unfortunately, I'm right on these players not developing far more often. Ojulari has a huge hill to climb to be effective, let alone live up to his draft status. Were he a round or two later, I wouldn't be as down on him. Now we're still left with a great need at the same position. I put that on Monti. If Ojulari doesn't take a big leap next year, it will be bad for our chances.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he finds a contender to chase a ring. Guy is 30 and led the league in rushing attempts 4 of the last 5 years. Also worth noting that in 2021, he played only 8 games and was 9th in rushing yards and 10th in rushing attempts. He's been a workhorse and probably ends up in Baltimore or KC. Or could you imagine him and McCaffrey together??? And how is McCaffrey 28 already?