Week 7 Snap counts, Usage trends, and Roster thoughts

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I didn't see this anywhere else, so I wanted to post it, and may do so for the rest of the year.

Offense (76 snaps)

Carson Palmer - 76 (100%)

Andre Ellington - 49 (64.5%)
Stepfan Taylor - 22 (28.9%)
Robert Hughes - 8 (10.5%)

Larry Fitzgerald - 73 (96.1%)
Michael Floyd - 72 (94.7%)
John Brown - 43 (56.6%)
Jaron Brown - 6 (7.9%)
Ted Ginn - 5 (6.6%)

John Carlson - 70 (92.1%)
Rob Housler - 29 (38.2%)
Darren Fells - 3 (3.9%)

Jared Veldheer - 76 (100%)
Ted Larsen - 76 (100%)
Lyle Sendlein - 76 (100%)
Paul Fanaika - 76 (100%)
Bobby Massie - 76 (100%)

Defense (51 snaps)

Tommy Kelly - 40 (78.4%)
Dan Williams - 36 (70.6%)
Ed Stinson - 32 (62.7%)
Frostee Rucker - 22 (43.1%)
Kareem Martin - 12 (23.5%)
Alameda Ta'amu - 4 (7.8%)

Larry Foote - 51 (100%)
Alex Okafor - 50 (98%)
Sam Acho - 34 (66.7%)
Kevin Minter - 24 (47.1%)

Patrick Peterson - 51 (100%)
Antonio Cromartie - 50 (98%)
Rashad Johnson - 50 (98%)
Deone Bucannon - 28 (54.9%)
Jerraud Powers - 27 (52.9%)
Tyrann Mathieu - 27 (52.9%)
Tony Jefferson - 23 (45.1%)

Trends

1-The coaches see something they really like in Alex Okafor. Okafor has played 90% in week 6 and now 98% in week 7. At first glance you could figure he was just getting Shaughnessy's snaps. However, Shaughnessy has yet to play a game this season where he has totalled more than 74% of the defensive snaps. From the looks of it, I would venture to guess that Okafor is essentially getting Shuaghnessy's snaps at OLB, and has then absorbed Kareem Martin's snaps at DE as well in passing downs.

2-The same goes for Ed Stinson. Stinson, during Campbell's absence, has been able to grab 55% or better in defensive snaps. Considering the team has Frostee Rucker, a veteran whom they like, this means Stinson has the coaches trust if he is getting more snaps than the vet.

3-Jaron Brown, for the first time this year, had a higher snap percentage than Ted Ginn. I would expect that to continue as the year progresses.

Thoughts

1-Stepfan Taylor has his highest usage this week, and produced pretty well. Seems like a good thing going forward to get some reps off of Ellington.

2-What is most disappointing about Troy Niklas's inability to stay healthy and get on the field, is that John Carlson has totaled 88.8% of the offensive snaps this year. As a team that has some salary concerns moving forward, you would love for Niklas to show enough this year to move into that role next year. As of now, I'm doubting the team counts on him to do so.

3-Jaron Brown's replacement of Ted Ginn as the team's #4 WR will probably lead to Ginn not coming back in 2015. That means we will need to add a return guy in the offseason. Ginn is getting paid too much for what he is bringing to the table.

4-Hopefully, Dan Williams playing 70% of the snaps this past week is an indicator that he can play more, but other team's personnel packages dictate that he doesn't. That will make his bargaining position a little stronger when it comes to his new contract.

5-I can't tell you how interested I am in seeing the roles for Martin, Stinson, and Okafor when Campbell and Shaughnessy come back. It will really be telling in where the team's needs are in 2015.

6-The secondary trends are really interesting as well. Three players have tallied more than 90% of the defensive snaps this year. Patrick Peterson, Antonio Cromartie, and Rashad Johnson (FS). I was of the mind that Johnson's role as a FS would decrease as Mathieu got healthier. That hasn't been the case, and it would seem Mathieu is more of a SS/CB still rather than a FS. The follow up question with that is what does that mean for Deone Bucannon? I don't know. You have to wonder if the team may look to have him fill in the WILB role going forward, or if Mathieu is more of a nickel CB going forward.

7-Two huge concerns I have moving into 2015. Larry Foote has played 100% of defensive snaps this year, and Rashad Johnson has played 98.7%. IMO, this is a concern. While both of these players have shown they can be functional contributors, they also are both limited players. If I am looking at roster spots to upgrade come 2015, Ted Larsen, Paul Fanaika, Larry Foote, and Rashad Johnson have to be right up there with adding a pass rusher.

8-Man, the Cardinals are going to have some tough roster choices to make come 2015. Carson Palmer, Bobby Massie, Tommy Kelly, Dan Williams, Sam Acho, and Antonio Cromartie have all had very big roles on this team, and are all up for new contracts/raises. Keim has work to do to try and figure who gets kept.

Last edited:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Trends

1-The coaches see something they really like in Alex Okafor. Okafor has played 90% in week 6 and now 98% in week 7. At first glance you could figure he was just getting Shaughnessy's snaps. However, Shaughnessy has yet to play a game this season where he has totalled more than 74% of the defensive snaps. From the looks of it, I would venture to guess that Okafor is essentially getting Shuaghnessy's snaps at OLB, and has then absorbed Kareem Martin's snaps at DE as well in passing downs.

2-The same goes for Ed Stinson. Stinson, during Campbell's absence, has been able to grab 55% or better in defensive snaps. Considering the team has Frostee Rucker, a veteran whom they like, this means Stinson has the coaches trust if he is getting more snaps than the vet.

8-Man, the Cardinals are going to have some tough roster choices to make come 2015. Carson Palmer, Bobby Massie, Tommy Kelly, Dan Williams, Sam Acho, and Antonio Cromartie have all had very big roles on this team, and are all up for new contracts/raises. Keim has work to do to try and figure who gets kept.

From 1:
I don't think you can compare the two. Shuaghnessy is a two-down LB, while Okafor is a three down LB. When Shuaghnessy is back, I would imagine that we will see a better split between him, Okafor and Acho. I'm guessing that Okafor will start opposite from Shaughnessy with Acho as relief.

From 2:
Remember that Rucker was listed as questionable coming into the game.

From 8:
Massie and Acho are both in their 3rd year. They both have another year under contract. Massie will get a fair deal. I'm not sure that Acho is worth that much on the open market. I'm confident that Carson will re-sign and Kelly hopefuly knows that he's not getting a hue deal in his age. That leaves Williams and Cromartie to re-sign.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like it when Taylor gets the ball. You know he is always going to run hard. He doesn't have the burst that Ellington has, but he has a much stronger running style and always seems to get the extra two yards. I am not sure why he isnt used more.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Sam Acho is a player that you can live without. I expect he'll come back on a deal similar to what we gave to Rashard Johnson when he didn't encounter a lot of warm hugs in free agency.

As others have said, Massie still has a year remaining on his contract.

I think that eventually the FA cornerback market is going to dry up, where you can get a solid starter in April or May for a year and $3M (or whatever). I just don't think that's going to be this year.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how things develop with Cromartie. I'm sure they'd like to lock him long term but he may want paid like an elite CB. I'd like to see them get a deal done with him and let Powers walk even though I think Powers is a good 3rd CB.

I suspect CB will be one the areas addressed in the draft as well.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Ed Stinson has materialized into exactly what the Cardinals needed.

A very solid depth guy. He played pretty well last week.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Deone is playing out of position due to D-Wash's absence. It's part of the patchwork defense Bowles is working with and somehow having success. He won't be moved to linebacker. He's too small.

Jurecki indicated last week that the plan was to move him to a permanent role at safety next season once the ILB situation is settled; whether that means D-Wash comes back or otherwise.

Johnson playing as much as he is is an indication that HB is not healthy yet.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Deone is playing out of position due to D-Wash's absence. It's part of the patchwork defense Bowles is working with and somehow having success. He won't be moved to linebacker. He's too small.

Jurecki indicated last week that the plan was to move him to a permanent role at safety next season once the ILB situation is settled; whether that means D-Wash comes back or otherwise.

I think you can tell by watching him play that Mathieu is not yet healthy. He looks about 75% out there. But that's kind of expected with the knee injury.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you can tell by watching him play that Mathieu is not yet healthy. He looks about 75% out there. But that's kind of expected with the knee injury.

I don't buy it. If he wasn't healthy he wouldn't be playing. It's mental has to be.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I don't buy it. If he wasn't healthy he wouldn't be playing. It's mental has to be.
Probably both. I don't doubt the knee is 100% structurally sound but it still takes time for the explosion to come back.

And, I'm sure he has his doubts mentally. Arians has said he needs to let loose but it sure doesn't look like he has.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised Rashad played that much, I added him to my fantasy team before last weeks game and I kept thinking he wasn't in the game. he must have been playing deep more so he was off screen. I kept thinking figures the week I add him is the week they go back to TM getting more snaps.

I would add playing that position it's often a good thing that you're not on screen that often, it means for the most part you're doing your job. He did get beat on the long pass to Butler but that was a busted play, it's hard to cover for that long.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
HB will not be back to his old self until next season,...get used to it.

ever notice that Jauron Brown does not get a lot of snaps,...but when he is on the field the ball comes his way an awful lot??...hoping apposing DC's have not noticed that....

also.....every TV crew we have had so far,....appears to think we have only ONE Brown,...just John....because they keep calling Jauron John.........

it is nice to have two backs that run hard...and can catch...and block......

be nice to have a TE like that.....

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Great post Chopper!!!

#6: I believe that BA and Todd Bowles love the versatility they have in both Buchannan and Mathieu. That is a great problem to have in my estimation. Buchannan has been a God-send in the absence of Washington, (yet still has great ability at safety).

Likewise, Mathieu has the ability to move around and play several positions very well, and compliments both the corner and the safety positions.

This provides very good talent to make for great depth at a number of positions. Nice problem for the coaches to have.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I know the plan is to move Bucannon back to S, but when holes are trying to be filled next offseason, I wonder if they will consider Bucannon for the nickel LB role again. We can only fill so many needs in one offseason, and I just wonder if other needs will be prioritized. QB, RB, NT, DE, OLB & CB are all other spots that will need to be addressed next year. Either by re-signing players, signing FAs, or thru the draft. Johnson, Mathieu, Bucannon & Jefferson will all be on the roster nest year, and Powers as well playing the nickel CB role.

My guess is that Mathieu will play FS in base, Bucannon SS, and then Mathieu will move to slot CB in nickel. My guess is Powers gets cut or moves outside. Powers is due 5.25 in 2015, and only 1 is guaranteed. I know the coaches like him, but hard decisions will need to be made.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Sam Acho is a player that you can live without. I expect he'll come back on a deal similar to what we gave to Rashard Johnson when he didn't encounter a lot of warm hugs in free agency.

As others have said, Massie still has a year remaining on his contract.

I think that eventually the FA cornerback market is going to dry up, where you can get a solid starter in April or May for a year and $3M (or whatever). I just don't think that's going to be this year.

I agree that Acho is replaceable in terms of talent, but we are so bad at OLB...

IDK. Just tryin to guess who isn't coming back while appreciating the season as it unfolds.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
From 1:
I don't think you can compare the two. Shuaghnessy is a two-down LB, while Okafor is a three down LB. When Shuaghnessy is back, I would imagine that we will see a better split between him, Okafor and Acho. I'm guessing that Okafor will start opposite from Shaughnessy with Acho as relief.

From 2:
Remember that Rucker was listed as questionable coming into the game.

From 8:
Massie and Acho are both in their 3rd year. They both have another year under contract. Massie will get a fair deal. I'm not sure that Acho is worth that much on the open market. I'm confident that Carson will re-sign and Kelly hopefuly knows that he's not getting a hue deal in his age. That leaves Williams and Cromartie to re-sign.

Interesting to hear you project Shaughnessy and Okafor in the base defense. I've always pictured them as playing the same position.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
5-I can't tell you how interested I am in seeing the roles for Martin, Stinson, and Okafor when Campbell and Shaughnessy come back. It will really be telling in where the team's needs are in 2015

Especially for Dockett who hits us for 10m. Cut him saves almost 7m which you could use to extend Williams and give another 1 year deal to Ta'amu or Kelly. Go front-7 in the first or second round in the draft.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Bowles talks highly of Powers and keeps talking about his versatility, which leads me to believe the Cardinals are going to give him a fair enough deal to keep him

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen