Snap Counts + Thoughts: Week 18 vs Seahawks

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Cards played a lot of three-TE sets to protect both of their tackles.

I thought it was due to disguise run/pass. Seemed like they were doing a great job of mixing runs and play action passes with that formation.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Some of it is dependent on Henry taking a 5 mil per year deal that is only one or two years.

Love Henry but why?

1) Henry is going to want to be "the guy" and win now.
2) We need a QBOF to develop and step in for Connor when he misses a few games.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Thanks for the potshot!
You lay yourself out there like that, you can't expect that someone won't point that out.
I'm not giving up on him--he's here for the foreseeable future and he absolutely has a chance to develop. Yes, I was wrong on McBride, and happily so. Unfortunately, I'm right on these players not developing far more often.
Because the chances that any of them developing outside of the first round are actually low.
Ojulari has a huge hill to climb to be effective, let alone live up to his draft status.
I don't know about this. He has some physical maturing to do, but he's really young and that means his maturation is probably inevitable to some extent.
Were he a round or two later, I wouldn't be as down on him.
He wouldn't have been. Ojulari was mocked in the late first round pretty regularly.
Now we're still left with a great need at the same position. I put that on Monti. If Ojulari doesn't take a big leap next year, it will be bad for our chances.
Ok.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Love Henry but why?

1) Henry is going to want to be "the guy" and win now.
2) We need a QBOF to develop and step in for Connor when he misses a few games.
Aren't the Cardinals trying to "win now" in 2024? He split carries this year. Not a new thing.

You can still draft players if you sign a vet for a smaller contract to be a primary backup. Normally you wouldn't do this at RB but that Cardinals have shown they are most competitive when they are running the ball. The overall perspective is your roster is probably better if you add a 5 mil RB in FA and draft a DT in round 3 vs adding a 5 mil DT and drafting a RB in round 3..

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
I kind of agree with Chopper here. You get the most bang for your bucks in free agency by bringing in the lower value positions such as running back, inside linebacker, center, guard, inside linebacker. Your limited cap dollars go further this way.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I kind of agree with Chopper here. You get the most bang for your bucks in free agency by bringing in the lower value positions such as running back, inside linebacker, center, guard, inside linebacker. Your limited cap dollars go further this way.
and it doesn't mean we have to force it, but those are just the markets I feel the Cardinals could explore to get the most production per dollar. Henry is a big name, but adding AJ Dillon for 2 or 3 mil does the same thing to a degree. Add a vet TE if you want to improve over Swaim or get more from those sets.

I actually hope Jeremiah Trotter Jr is available with one of our 3rd round picks. I think he would be a nice option to add a potential starter in round 3 though not a great cash savings move tbh.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I actually hope Jeremiah Trotter Jr is available with one of our 3rd round picks.
i pretty much always end up taking him in the PFF draft simulator with one of the 3rd rd picks

two other off ball LBs i like in this draft as well

Edgerrin Cooper, TAM.
Payton Wilson, NC St

all projected 3rd round guys.

all play with instincts for the position

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He may follow Vrabel to his new team.
I think that'll depend on if it's a rebuild. He's got maybe 3 years left in his legs and history tells us we'll see a significant decline this next season, so it's Super Bowl or bust for him IMHO.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I thought it was due to disguise run/pass. Seemed like they were doing a great job of mixing runs and play action passes with that formation.

100%.

I re-watched all of the drop back passes from the SEA game just to really see how good was the pass pro, and it was fine. Not prefect but pretty good.

And we weren't even chipping the Seattle EDGE guys or anything. Beachum and PJ did just fine one on one.

So yeah, those TE heavy sets were just about playing to our the strength of our personnel. Higgens and McBride are both capable blockers.

Our WRs are not great at blocking.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
We're going to play a QB for Connor when he's out? :)

You missed my other post (might not be in this thread).

We need a RBOF to add to RB room that we can develop and can be the spot starter when Connor is out.

Jonathon Brooks is interesting based on Monti's draft strategy in 2023.

It's not going to be Derrick Henry.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

We need a RBOF to add to RB room that we can develop and can be the spot starter when Connor is out.

No, I quoted the post where you said we need a QBOF for when JC goes down. Making fun of a typo is all :)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I listened to Lorenzo Alexander talk about Zaven. He pointed out to how many different ways Zaven has been used and moved around and Zo's take was that Collins played pretty well at all of them, but that he should be featured more as a pure pass rusher. Zo said that's why he's not putting up sack numbers

For what it's worth I believe he's our best graded defensive starter via PFF with a 72.1 grade.

Jalen 2nd with 71.3.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
For what it's worth I believe he's our best graded defensive starter via PFF with a 72.1 grade.

Jalen 2nd with 71.3.
Essentially Zo said he does a lot of little things like take on lead blockers and wins those match ups. Rallis move him all over the formation and he's not losing his match up, which is probably what PFF is seeing.

I still think Zaven is a traditional strong side 4-3 backer. He'd be better in that kind of defense.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I'd look for Brooks in round 4 because of his injury, and redshirt him for the future.