We are now guaranteed a top 4 pick!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
My opinion has completely flipped. I was sure the Bears should move on and we should keep Kyler.

Now the Bears appear to be set no matter which way they go. Trade Fields and get 2 1sts for him + and draft Caleb/Maye, or keep him trade down and acquire more talent.

I'm also on the side that we need to move on from Kyler and draft Caleb/Maye.
What bozo is trading two firsts for FIELDS?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Leonard Davis could have been a HOF left guard if we had played him there his entire career.
Davis and his agent did not want that for obvious reasons and the Cardinals wasted yet another pick.

So you think an all-pro guard is something you waste a top three pick on?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don't agree. If he finishes the year like he has the 2nd half they will come close to 2 1sts.
I seriously doubt they get 2 ones for him. The team trading for him will need to sign him to a big extension. That drives down his price too.

I can see a late 1, early 2 for him at best. I can’t think of a 4th year QB that has brought a #1 in return on a trade. I’m sure it’s happened but none are coming to mind.

A desperate Atlanta may give their 1 but the Pats, Commanders, or Raiders aren’t giving their 1.

It’d be great if things were transparent and we could see who had the bigger trade market, Fields or Murray? I think it’d be very similar.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
All of our picks at 3 or higher in Arizona.

Garrison Hearst
Simeon Rice
Andre Wadsworth
Leonard Davis
Larry Fitzgerald
Kyler Murray

Never had the 4th pick.

Picks at #5:

Levi Brown
Patrick Peterson
The Cards did just fine with those picks. They got 2 HOF’s, multiple pro bowl players, and 2 guys who’s careers were stunted by injury in Wadsworth and Hearst.

Hearst still went on to have a nice career. It’s not like they drafted a JaMarcus Russell, Tony Mandarich, Vernon Gholston, Aundrey Bruce, or David Terrell.

The worst was obviously Levi over AP but Levi still was about a 7 year starter.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. Coming into that draft, Wadsworth was considered by MOST to be the best player in the draft. Very similar to how Fitz was also considered by MOST to be the best player when he came out. In one situation, it played out very well, and in the other, it was a disaster due to injuries. I sat behind Andre’s parents at the 98 game vs Skins at FedEx Field. Truly, they were wonderful people. And sadly, I always thought of them when the injuries ended his career. The selection that always annoyed me was taking Rice over Ogden. It was clear that Rice was always a me player, while I believe Ogden would have been a lifelong Cardinal. That pick irked me then, and saddens me to this day.

FWIW the rumor was Ogden told the Cards not to draft him or he'd hold out and force us to trade him

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can see someone looking at what Kyler did over the course of his 2nd and much of his 3rd season and think he's worth giving up something for. We might be able to get a decent return for him.

I cannot see anyone trading real value for Fields. Despite some decent games this year, he's overall been really bad.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I can see someone looking at what Kyler did over the course of his 2nd and much of his 3rd season and think he's worth giving up something for. We might be able to get a decent return for him.

I cannot see anyone trading real value for Fields. Despite some decent games this year, he's overall been really bad.
Contracts equalize value if not shift towards Fields.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Contracts equalize value if not shift towards Fields.

Fields needs an extension, that isn't a plus. I don't think anyone is going to give up value for a dude you then need to give a fat extension to before you can figure out if the suck is true.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fields needs an extension, that isn't a plus. I don't think anyone is going to give up value for a dude you then need to give a fat extension to before you can figure out if the suck is true.
I think they can probably go the Lamar/Dak route and not extend him and if he blows up, throw the franchise tag at him. It’s worked well enough for Dallas and Baltimore and those guys were much more successful and still were in the control of each’s team.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Davis and his agent did not want that for obvious reasons and the Cardinals wasted yet another pick.

So you think an all-pro guard is something you waste a top three pick on?

100%

I think something like 50% of first rounders even get a second contract. If you can get an all pro anything you do it.

Give me an all pro guard over a WR any day.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

HE'S ALMOST HERE!!!

It would be so Cardinals to draft a WR in the top 3.

Who’s gonna throw to him when your often injured QB gets hurt yet again because you can’t protect him.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be so Cardinals to draft a WR in the top 3.

Who’s gonna throw to him when your often injured QB gets hurt yet again because you can’t protect him.
The offensive line has been the best unit on the team this year. IMO and I don't think I am alone. We can get another good player or two on the oline for a far better cap deal than we could get for someone like Pittman Jr or Tee Higgins.

The WRs are abominable. We need a truly major talent at that position to compete. That's why you get MHJ at #1. You look at the entire team.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The offensive line has been the best unit on the team this year. IMO and I don't think I am alone. We can get another good player or two on the oline for a far better cap deal than we could get for someone like Pittman Jr or Tee Higgins.

The WRs are abominable. We need a truly major talent at that position to compete. That's why you get MHJ at #1. You look at the entire team.

How many rings do Fitzgerald, TO, Andre Johnson, Julio, Megatron, Moss , Ocho have combined?

You know why? Because WR is a completely dependent position. It’s a shiny toy that doesn’t equal winning. Same group every year no matter what want to draft a receiver.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many rings do Fitzgerald, TO, Andre Johnson, Julio, Megatron, Moss , Ocho have combined?

You know why? Because WR is a completely dependent position. It’s a shiny toy that doesn’t equal winning. Same group every year no matter what want to draft a receiver.
Yeah, and I can throw out a list like that for every position in football if I wanted to waste my time. Which I don't. I literally just explained how I would like to see the offensive line addressed.

You think it's smarter to draft an offensive lineman. Cool.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, and I can throw out a list like that for every position in football if I wanted to waste my time. Which I don't. I literally just explained how I would like to see the offensive line addressed.

You think it's smarter to draft an offensive lineman. Cool.

I mean not really. Almost all champions have good offensive lines and defenses. Like I said almost all so yes there are the occasional teams that don’t but they are very very few and far between.

QB
Protect the QB
Rush the QB.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score

Rings is such a narrow way to look at something like this when it’s essentially a proxy for - “did the patriots build their team in this way?”

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rings is such a narrow way to look at something like this when it’s essentially a proxy for - “did the patriots build their team in this way?”

Championships is a narrow way to look at how to build a team?

Patriots
QB
Good offensive line
Good defense

Kinda how they did it.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Patriots
QB
Good offensive line
Good defense

Kinda how they did it.
But you are not looking at the big picture when it comes to building a team. Maybe this analysis will help. By looking at salary cap benefit and the amount of free agents at each position each year, the top two to try to draft are QB and WR. That's why so many WRs and QBs have been going high in the draft the last few years while RB and interior oline have been dropping in numbers. RB and interior oline are much better to address in free agency because of that. Lots of good players who have not, and will not, break the bank compared to WR or QB.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Patriots
QB
Good offensive line
Good defense

Kinda how they did it.

The Patriots had the best defense in the league during the first dynasty. When their D declined they had to stack up on playmakers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard