Cards say offers for trade down are picking up

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As we get closer to the Draft, the more I'm convinced that we'll stay at #4 and draft MHJ if he's available or Nabers if he's not. And we'll start the season with NFL ready units in all 'rooms'. Making the Playoffs, imo, will depend on staying healthy. Understand that is a 'Half Full' look, but it's based on how far we've come in a year. And, naturally making good draft choices.
We don’t have an NFL ready defense we have zero pass rushers or CBs that are really worth a damn. No way we’re fixing that in this draft.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
How many years do we get to use that excuse?
You get to use it until you're not winning only 4 games.

The Cardinals have significant needs at WR, Edge, DL, and CB. They also could still use more OL, a blocking TE, a backup S, and a backup RB.

If you fill a few of those holes in this draft, things start to look a lot better.
I feel like I'll keep hearing this in 3, 4, 5 years. There will always be excuses why chasing the magic beans and future picks makes more sense than drafting Big Johns. Why, I even saw a trade proposal on this board where we traded back with the Vikings, GAVE UP more draft capital THIS season in order to get more picks NEXT year. Nah. No thanks. Just stick and pick, please. Don't chase magic beans, don't chase the future, don't trade out of blue chip range. Do the sensible thing for once.
But here is the caveat to my first statement: the Cardinals have 11 draft picks, 6 in the top 100 and the 7th at 104.

They should be able to fill 3-4 of those holes mentioned with quality young players. We can also expect some growth from players on the roster as well.

So trading for more picks just to add more picks isn't the greatest idea when you already have a plethora of quality picks.

If I'm Monti, I'm only making a trade for a King's Ransom. It better be a Robert Griffin type haul.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yea we stripped the roster to tank and get talent like Marvin. Why trade back when its a chance its more Byron Murphy and Zach Allen level talents. Ya know guys we let walk.

Lions knew to not pass Penei Sewell and Aidan Hutchinson like talent when they were rebuilding.
This is a good post.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

The Cardinals have significant needs at WR, Edge, DL, and CB. They also could still use more OL, a blocking TE, a backup S, and a backup RB.

If you fill a few of those holes in this draft, things start to look a lot better.

But here is the caveat to my first statement: the Cardinals have 11 draft picks, 6 in the top 100 and the 7th at 104.

They should be able to fill 3-4 of those holes mentioned with quality young players. We can also expect some growth from players on the roster as well.

So trading for more picks just to add more picks isn't the greatest idea when you already have a plethora of quality picks.

If I'm Monti, I'm only making a trade for a King's Ransom. It better be a Robert Griffin type haul.
Fully agree with you here.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trade with Vikings the 4th pick+First third round pick
Jefferson+pick 11+23

Justin Jefferson+Dallas Turner+Tailese Fuaga+Xavier Worthy

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We don’t have an NFL ready defense we have zero pass rushers or CBs that are really worth a damn. No way we’re fixing that in this draft.
Considering the talent level we had last year our defense was pretty good I thought. Are we going to be a top end defense this year of course not. Was that ever a realistic possibility - No.

This is year 2 of a total rebuild.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Agree with this. Only way I am trading down from 4 is if I get a quality NFL player. More picks does not do much for me.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I am becoming less interested in Turner, Verse, Latu and Chop. More interested in Murphy, Darius Rob, and Kris Jenkins.

Like Terrion Arnold the best out of the CBs. Not sure where I stand on Kool Aid or DeJean.
I go back and forth. I want to believe that the edge group isn't a dumpster fire and that one of the guys will emerge. Each of the edge guys has potential at least.

The DL now have a few real NFL players, but I think they've already hit their ceilings and they are only average starter types. Adding a real difference maker to the line would have a huge impact, probably would help the edge guys a ton if they had someone who could actually collapse the pocket.

A guy I want mid rounds from the edge group is Mohamed Kamara. He was one of the best edge in the country last year and had really good workouts. His combine numbers were better than Latu's numbers and he was around the same production.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Considering the talent level we had last year our defense was pretty good I thought. Are we going to be a top end defense this year of course not. Was that ever a realistic possibility - No.

This is year 2 of a total rebuild.
I guess? Hard to be worse than 32nd in most categories.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess? Hard to be worse than 32nd in most categories.
Yeah exactly - so thinking we will turn that around and be a great defense 1 year later sounds pretty stupid does it not?

you need pro bowlers to be a great D. You don't get those in free agency, and it takes years to develop them when drafting.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah exactly - so thinking we will turn that around and be a great defense 1 year later sounds pretty stupid does it not?

you need pro bowlers to be a great D. You don't get those in free agency, and it takes years to develop them when drafting.
Who is thinking that? You said that the defense was pretty good considering the stripped down personnel (which was a choice this staff made). How is that possible when we were, in fact, very bad?

It's hard to get Pro Bowlers if you never try. That said, I don't think you we should expect a great defense in 2024; I think we should expect better -- somewhere between 25th and 17th would be a huge step forward.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I go back and forth. I want to believe that the edge group isn't a dumpster fire and that one of the guys will emerge. Each of the edge guys has potential at least.

The DL now have a few real NFL players, but I think they've already hit their ceilings and they are only average starter types. Adding a real difference maker to the line would have a huge impact, probably would help the edge guys a ton if they had someone who could actually collapse the pocket.

A guy I want mid rounds from the edge group is Mohamed Kamara. He was one of the best edge in the country last year and had really good workouts. His combine numbers were better than Latu's numbers and he was around the same production.
I just look at Murphy, Robinson and Jenkins as safer players at a larger area of need. I also like the options in late 2 or early 3 better at edge than DT. I view Darius as a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE, not really an OLB.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would say that the following three CB's would be a decent group, but not saying a Pro Bowl unit.
1. Williams from last year.
2. Our FA signing, Murphy Bunting.
3. Our 2nd round pick in this year's draft (Whomever).

So much better than last year. As for pass rushers, expect Ojulari to be better and also expect us to use a high draft pick on an Edge player. Agree that Edge is the 'room' of greatest concern, but a young group should only get better as the season goes along. And, speaking objectively, I think it's fair to say that all defensive groups will be better, this year.

Have to make good draft choices.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How many years do we get to use that excuse? I feel like I'll keep hearing this in 3, 4, 5 years. There will always be excuses why chasing the magic beans and future picks makes more sense than drafting Big Johns. Why, I even saw a trade proposal on this board where we traded back with the Vikings, GAVE UP more draft capital THIS season in order to get more picks NEXT year. Nah. No thanks. Just stick and pick, please. Don't chase magic beans, don't chase the future, don't trade out of blue chip range. Do the sensible thing for once.

The Cardinals have had what like 5/6 winning seasons on 30+ years in Arizona. Bottom line as long as that family owns this team they are gonna suck no matter what

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I would say that the following three CB's would be a decent group, but not saying a Pro Bowl unit.
1. Williams from last year.
2. Our FA signing, Murphy Bunting.
3. Our 2nd round pick in this year's draft (Whomever).

So much better than last year. As for pass rushers, expect Ojulari to be better and also expect us to use a high draft pick on an Edge player. Agree that Edge is the 'room' of greatest concern, but a young group should only get better as the season goes along. And, speaking objectively, I think it's fair to say that all defensive groups will be better, this year.

Have to make good draft choices.
I'm not sure about that cornerback room. I mean, it could be decent by Week 10, but going into week one that's probably a recipe for disaster, especially if there's not a disruptive pass rush in front of them.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Who is thinking that? You said that the defense was pretty good considering the stripped down personnel (which was a choice this staff made). How is that possible when we were, in fact, very bad?

It's hard to get Pro Bowlers if you never try. That said, I don't think you we should expect a great defense in 2024; I think we should expect better -- somewhere between 25th and 17th would be a huge step forward.
Bingo.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I just look at Murphy, Robinson and Jenkins as safer players at a larger area of need. I also like the options in late 2 or early 3 better at edge than DT. I view Darius as a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE, not really an OLB.
They seem that way.

I get the feeling that this edge class is going to produce 4 guys that all get about 45 career sacks, but not a huge game changer.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I am becoming less interested in Turner, Verse, Latu and Chop. More interested in Murphy, Darius Rob, and Kris Jenkins.

Like Terrion Arnold the best out of the CBs. Not sure where I stand on Kool Aid or DeJean.
Agree with all of this. Those guys are top pass rushers because someone has to be too in every class, but I don’t believe any are generally top edge rushers.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think Latu is gonna be a stud. I’d 100% take him at 27 and would be ok with a trade up to get him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard